Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

The MLB 15 The Show gameplay stream is starting in a few minutes. You can click the "Spoiler Show" button below to watch it here at OS, or open a new browser and watch it. For those of you that miss out, we'll update this post with the archive when it is available on Twitch.

Some bullet points (Thanks jyoung!)

Graphics
  • Dynamic shadows in each stadium that will change over the course of the season
  • Colors will also change based on the amount of sun exposure
  • Grass and dirt colors are more accurate for each stadium
  • There are way more skin tones (they used to only have 13), which means you'll get much more realistic skin on dark-toned players
Gameplay
  • Directional hitting lets you influence where the ball will go, even in "timing only" mode
  • Dynamic pitch breaks make each pitch type easier to recognize and closer to how the ball acts in real life
  • Quick counts will start you in the middle of an at-bat more frequently. Pitchers will always start on a 1-1 count
  • Manual cutoffs are triggered by the L1 button and will help keep singles with a runner in scoring position from turning into cheap doubles
  • Outfielders have more curved, indirect routes, and will no longer just take straight paths to the ball. This should help reduce the number of undeserved doubles and triples
  • Infielders will follow the ball better and cover bases more realistically
  • There were no changes to umpires
  • The new MLB challenge system is in place for close plays at bases
  • Lots of new catching, tagging, and throwing animations were captured; they are unique to each base
  • Baserunners will slow up now and dynamically change their run speed based on where the ball is hit
  • There is more of a separation this year between fast and and slow runners
  • Expect less warping and no more sudden, unrealistic speed boosts in all fielding animations
  • You can use analog swings with timing hitting now
  • Meter pitching is more sensitive and has more risk/reward. Missing your mark has more of a penalty, hitting your mark has more of a benefit
  • Fielding and throwing sliders are now separated into different slider categories for infield/outfield
Next week: There will be a video blog for licensed equipment and the universal rewards system.
In the future: More twitch broadcasts are coming. A "presentation" stream will be next.

UPDATE: If you missed the stream, you can watch the archive here or click the "Spoiler Show" button below.

As gameplay is being shown, let us know what you think!

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 141 HozAndMoose @ 02/05/15 08:36 PM
YouTube for those that cant watch the archive (both 1080p now)

# 142 DrYCeLL @ 02/05/15 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingWeazel
No they didn;t I even quoted some............it's not that hard to follow a conversation, maybe don;t jump in next time.
You could stand to not be so standoff-ish. You're dismissing people's criticism's with weird counter-arguments as well. I'm done responding to you. You're baiting people and I'm not going to be drawn into that. The game can be improved and can look better in the future. I imagine it will, as the PS4 gen just started. When it does, people will say it does. Nowadays, people have higher expectations than dynamic shadows and skin colour fixes when it comes to graphical improvements, especially when defenders of The Show 14's graphics said to expect a big leap between 14 and 15 due to big leaps in the past after iteration #1 on the newest console. I mean, I think it looks great, but I'm baffled on how body types and jersey physics haven't been even slightly addressed since their debut all those years ago.

# 143 aguero90 @ 02/05/15 08:41 PM
Guys, all this argument over graphics is totally not needed. Now granted I can't see much of how this game looks, so I rely on others for descriptions. Think of it from my point of view for a second, think about all that you get to see, all that I'm missing, the little details, the things that make the show great. So if I asked you to describe how it looks with full sight, I bet every single person would say, "it's the best looking baseball game to date!"

# 144 DrYCeLL @ 02/05/15 08:48 PM
Quote:
Baffled??? Why is it so hard to understand? Development is a constant battle of resources, timelines, technical issues....There could be a engine issue that stops them from implementing it yet, could not have enough resources to get it in for this year over other high priorities, the devs may not se it as a big priority over other features with a short development schedule..... It is pretty easy to see why it may not be in.
Like I said, I'm done responding to you. The body types and jersey cloth hasn't changed in years. It's not like this is a new feature that is still being worked out. This is a legacy issue that has not been addressed in what, 5-6 years? And there you go again with ad-hom attacks.

# 145 OUSOONERS#1 @ 02/05/15 08:50 PM
Quote:
Nostalgia glasses, MVP was only good with a tonne of PC mods, I played it a lot, and would still get 120 HR's on the hardest difficulty with one player, it was anything but a sim, the show passed MVP years ago, although it did some things better like defense. AI, Pitcher/hitter duel, depth the show destroys MVP. Typical nostalgia over rating a game
I didn't say anything about sim baseball u can do same thing with the show as far as hitting home runs .. The show still to me is to unrealistic in how the player models look how they walk and run hit the ball throw the ball jus at times look way off especially the way they hit the ball follow through is jus not right .. Have not brought create a stadium or expansion like that game did biggest thing I want in this game .. If they never intend to do that at least change the player models they look and react same as they did on ps2 to me ..If they changed them this game might be the best sports game on the market ..

# 146 HozAndMoose @ 02/05/15 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERS#1
I didn't say anything about sim baseball u can do same thing with the show as far as hitting home runs .. The show still to me is to unrealistic in how the player models look how they walk and run hit the ball throw the ball jus at times look way off especially the way they hit the ball follow through is jus not right .. Have not brought create a stadium or expansion like that game did biggest thing I want in this game .. If they never intend to do that at least change the player models they look and react same as they did on ps2 to me ..If they changed them this game might be the best sports game on the market ..
Create a stadium and expansions may not be allowed by MLB.

# 147 Playboy™ @ 02/05/15 08:56 PM
why is everyone so mad when someone has a opinion or a complaint ? everyone is entitled to think what they want cuz at the end of the day we pay for this game.

# 148 HozAndMoose @ 02/05/15 08:56 PM
Just drop it already. The game plays fine. The graphics are fine. Both areas could use some improvement here and there.

# 149 bcruise @ 02/05/15 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
I cant believe nobody is talking about the new Dynamic Difficulty. Now we can set the speed at how fast or slow we want it to change and adapt. Then when we feel it is perfect we can set it to 0 and it wont change anymore.

For me this is a huge thing and a serious game changer. No chasing sliders, no having a bad day and having everything change. Now I can get it right where I want it Veteran ++ for pitching and All Star +++ for hitting or whatever and then set it so it will just stay there forever!!!!!

Dream come true, for me anyway.
I totally missed this. Like I said, need to watch it again to hear everything B Ma had to say.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

# 150 ClarkWGrizwold @ 02/05/15 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
So you'll be sending the info to Knight as he suggested then I take it?
Already have, thanks

# 151 HozAndMoose @ 02/05/15 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopiDesertPriest
please someone put the stream on you tube !!!!

all i have is a ps vita -- no go for twitch.
Already did it. Go to page 18.

# 152 strawberryshortcake @ 02/05/15 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowld
While everything does look better it still looks and feels like the exact same game I have been playing for years. Every year I get so hyped for this game and after I play 10-20 games it just starts to feel stale. Hopefully this year will be different but after watching this I already feel bored of it before even playing
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychraider32
I kinda feel you there but I also feel like this game is basically close to topping out. It's just a great all around game and aside from little details I don't know how much better they can make it. I will buy it regardless.
I understand the above two paragraphs. And I can also say the same to a certain extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
Nothing will fix that. It is a baseball game made by San Diego Studios. Baseball doesn't change and they aren't going to rip out their core coding. 1) It doesn't make financial sense to and 2) it isn't broken. PS4 version of the game will be about refinement and subtle changes. Someone else will need to make a sim game to compete with this guys if you want a different feel. They still try and put forth a lot of effort year over year, so they aren't just sitting back while being the only game on the market.

If I owned a PS3, I'd probably feel the same way. Switching to a PS4 last year, I have a few years to grow tired of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopiDesertPriest
Is not Baseball repitition, my friend ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
You dudes are nuts if you think this game looks the same. Are you missing out on how it actually looks like a real game of baseball now? They may not have bumped the polycounts on the players or something, but god help me, that ain't all that matters.
I wouldn't go so far as to say dudes/dudettes that say this game looks 'the same' are nuts. Honestly, it's a valid statement because there are some truths behind it. Lighting wise, there is definite noticeable improvement when looking at the MLB14 and MLB15 images stacked side by side. Skin tone, facial details, and shadows has a more life like effect. The stadium looks beautiful (side note: the bleacher seat legs seems to be missing a shadow element).

Increase in polygons isn't going to help with animations. Personally, it has more to do with overall animations is why I may say the game looks the same. Albeit more animations have been captured and implemented as mentioned by the developers, keeping poor outfielder throwing animation (and various other animations that sticks out) unfortunately reminds me that improvements can still be made.

Quote:
Please explain how baseball is supported to be diff? I don't get these posts, the show closely mimics real baseball better then any game, what else can it go? You want unicorns in the outfield?
If you look at the other baseball game (no ... the other one, the one from Japan; Professional Baseball Spirits) you'll see elements from that game, namely animations, that seems to fit how a real human moves, throws, run, and swing the bat better. Those who are hardcore, extremely hardcore, MLB The Show fan will still claim MLBtheShow as THE GAME. But if you are willing to examine both games to real baseball footage and how players move on the field, you'll see the Show still falls short in certain animation areas.

Note: I got back into video gaming because of MLBtheShow09. Bought the PS4 because it was the console that carries MLB the Show. But there are still plenty of improvements, predominantly animations, that I would like to see.

Quote:
it has changed drastically since 08 and how can baseball play any different?? Also last gen was the first jump to HD, we wont ever see that type of leap again. Graphics can only go so far.

Waiting for someone to explain how baseball is supposed to look/play any different....The show already is closer then any sports game to how it's real life counterpart platys...wtf do you people expect?
Baseball is not suppose to look or play any different. But "how" it is executed can drastically change the way the game feels, plays and looks.

The classic argument for any sports game is that the fundamental of the sport doesn't change. You pitch the ball, you hit the ball, you field the ball, etc. Of course it's going to look the same. But the important thing is "how" it is executed.

Have a 5 year old, 10 year old, 15 year old, 20 year old, 25 year old run down the line from home plate to first base for a single; from home plate to second base for a double; from home plate to third base for a triple; from home plate around the bases for an inside the park home run. The concept is still the same but the way each of these individuals "run" (or get animated in a game) will drastically differ from one another. All of this extends to other "animations" in the field of play.

I would like to see improvements in outfielder and infielder animations. I would like the development team to remove poor animations rather than keep them in the game.

There are still poor and awkward outfield and infield throwing animations that are visible in the stream. They simply stick out and throws the whole "life like" immersion out of the window.

Quote:
... how can it PLAy or be drastically different to people who said it looks the same Its baseball baseball plays like baseball, herp derp.
There are coaches to teach a ball player the mechanics of swinging, pitching etc. An 18 year old can throw the ball to home plate and strike out a batter. But if the 18 year old can learn how to effectively pitch the ball to home plate by tweaking his mechanics, it'll be more effective.

The same goes with the animations in the game. Baseball is the same and will always fundamentally be the same game. Why do you think the development team motion captures brand new animations yearly?

My first impression of the stream was that the outfielder throwing animation still has that awkward look to it.

My biggest concern with the motion capture sessions is the lack of the "in-game adrenaline effort" that happens on the field during a real baseball game.

I also doubt the development team has a real baseball field devoted specifically for motion capture. Attempting to throw a runner out at home or to the cut off man is completely different during a suited up motion capture session with limited space versus what happens during a real baseball game when the outfielder is 390 yards from home plate. There is "in game adrenaline effort" that is clearly visible during a real baseball game that is absent during a motion capture session in a confined space.

# 153 Mrmagoo @ 02/05/15 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
Already did it. Go to page 18.
Thank you! Missed your first post stating it.

# 154 RLebron12 @ 02/05/15 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
YouTube for those that cant watch the archive (both 1080p now)

Thanks for this man! Might I just add that I love the little things like FINALLY having the California flag and not just a bunch of USA flags (Although I love my country). I can't wait to see AT&T park and finally see the California flag. Also hoping that they have the flags of the teams in our division and hoping it will change depending on the rankings like in real life.

Also really looking forward to see more of the new sliding and tagging system!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 155 @legendm0de @ 02/05/15 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowld
While everything does look better it still looks and feels like the exact same game I have been playing for years. Every year I get so hyped for this game and after I play 10-20 games it just starts to feel stale. Hopefully this year will be different but after watching this I already feel bored of it before even playing
That's the result of not focusing enough on presentation. As you play the game, you need to be rewarded with an engrossing feeling of superb presentations showcasing your progress. This has become very important to sports titles even though it has nothing to do with gameplay. MLB The Show's presentation is stale to nonexistent and that is an enormous issue at the moment. Baseball, presentation is king....... (replays, batter walkups, camera angles, extensive stat overlays, game recaps) I can already feel a massive MLB 16' request coming. It's sad they haven't gotten to this point yet already, I thought it would have been a given feature of MLB 14' just for being next gen.

# 156 Mrmagoo @ 02/05/15 09:20 PM
Quote:
Well you cannot even say why you are bored with it...don;t like baseball? How else should it play?
I stated ONE reason and you failed to see it, so why would I bother stating more?
You appear to post on emotion rather than reason... Not a good habit in life.. Just my opinion of course.

# 157 MAGboyswifT27 @ 02/05/15 09:23 PM
Getting excited for the drop, can't wait! (In my Bart Scott voice)

# 158 RandyBass @ 02/05/15 09:30 PM
It all pretty much seems like tiny incremental steps, which is fine because it's understandable, but at some point I'd like to think a realistic minor league system is more important than the shade of green for The Green Monstah. I know I know, two different things entirely, but lower minor leagues matter to franchises in real life. Why not in this game?

# 159 @legendm0de @ 02/05/15 09:37 PM
There definitely needs to be an all new player model for this current generation of console, but it's surely a monumental task to completely overhaul that area. No game has really done, that FIFA and NBA are just extremely better versions of the same model from last era.

NHL however did do an overhaul and it was extremely well done, and very needed just like it is in MLB The Show. MLB's models simply don't have the elasticity that relates for me of these players athleticism. That's largely because of the lack of body types, having probably less than 5 bodies?

FIFA's player models are remarkable. I really would wish it were possible MLB could mimick those but if anything, I would at least like them to expand the players flexibility.

# 160 OhioCub @ 02/05/15 09:37 PM
I have an idea! Let's all pick out a bunch of superficial, non-critical, minute details of the game and complain about why these things make the game soooo terrible... oh wait, many of you already did.

Anyway, game looks amazing, as always, can't wait for The Show season. Love the new coloring, the new shadows (my biggest question is, will these shadows come into play when trying to hit? God I hope so. But if not, I can understand why), the changes to dynamic difficulty, the fact that the Wrigley renovations are in the game (even though I think the final plans have been tweaked since the concept model they built it off of). And I'm sure there's a ton of other stuff I loved that I just saw and can't even remember now. I'm 37 and feel like a kid in a candy store cause I can remember playing the original Baseball game on the NES back in 87. Kids these days are too spoiled with the technology we have.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.