Home
Operation Sports News Post

With all the news coming out recently about new Virtual Reality devices from Sony, Valve, Oculus Rift, and others, we thought it would be a good time to examine the possibilities for VR in the sports games we love. Will it become mainstream? Will it be a flash in the pan? Are the big guys already working on something, or will they wait to see where the market goes?

Joining us this week:Send us your feedback! We love to hear from you and can’t wait to read your stuff on the air in a future episode. Do it one of these ways:

1) Follow the show on Twitter at @PressRowPodcast and send us some Tweets while you’re there
2) Email the show at [email protected]
3) Respond to this post

Also, the Press Row Podcast is now available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ow/id563624090) and Stitcher Radio (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/oper...ss-row-podcast), so subscribe to it and rate it too!

Enjoy the show!

Run Time: 1 Hour, 28 Minutes

If you can't view or listen to the embedded player below, please click here.

Game: Operation SportsReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 20 - View All
Operation Sports Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ocat @ 03/06/15 05:50 PM
I think the guys aren't getting the concept of VR. Occulus and morpheus aren't supposed to be used like a kinect where you are up jumping around and waving your arms like a madman, that's just dangerous with a headset on. Rich was on point about it being an immersion thing, you still use a controller, you still sit on your couch, except you are enveloped in the world of the game instead of looking at it on a TV and being disconnected from it.

Driving and flying games would give the best experience IMO. They are activities where IRL you are always seated but you need to look around in the space around you. VR would be great for this

# 2 Jgainsey @ 03/07/15 07:46 AM
Yeesh... Who **** in the pressrow's cornflakes this week?

I think the only way we'll be able to sell some of these guys on VR is if a major developer announces a fully featured "get off my lawn" experience. It'll be a spectator only game, where they can yell at the people enjoying their various VR activities from the point of view of Clint Eastwood's porch in Gran Torino.

# 3 GlennN @ 03/07/15 08:30 AM
I have arthritis in both of my thumbs, and as time goes by, it hurts more to use a controller (especially a game requiring constant use of the thumbsticks, like NHL). For me, the concept of being able to use VR as a controller - albeit more like a Kinect than what ocat discussed above, is exciting for me.

# 4 bukktown @ 03/07/15 11:57 PM
Glenn I experienced thumb and wrist pain as well once I hit my 30s.
What are you talking about "using VR as a controller"?
That makes no sense to me. What am I missing?

# 5 davidto138 @ 03/18/15 05:54 AM
I think the guys aren't getting the concept of VR. Occulus and morpheus aren't supposed to be used like a kinect where you are up jumping around and waving your arms like a madman, that's just dangerous with a headset on. Rich was on point about it being an immersion thing, you still use a controller, you still sit on your couch, except you are enveloped in the world of the game instead of looking at it on a TV and being disconnected from it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.