Home
News Post

Well, it appears that Joe Montana Football is a game -- of some sorts.

Joe Montana tweeted the above screenshot
out to the internet, which appears to be an in-game screenshot of a football game long rumored to be in the works. It also appears to dispel the 'NFL game in the works' rumors that were floating around the last week. The screenshot shows Joe Montana (or someone with his name and number as his skin color looks much darker than Montana's) rolling out with players blocking and stumbling around.

The teams are both generic, and the stadium itself looks generic as well, although that much isn't fully clear. The screenshot features the Unreal Engine logo, and appears to be quite detailed -- but there's no signs of whether this game is for consoles, mobile platforms, or PC. Although just one screenshot, it definitely isn't a huge leap over what is already on the market sports games wise just at first glance, so it's really impossible to tell if this is even a console title, although it'd be a very impressive looking mobile/tablet title if that is the case.

The player models themselves look like a cross between Backbreaker and the old 2K titles, with the tall and slender bodies vs. more realistic proportions. But hey, it's way too early to be breaking these things down.

As mentioned by jyoung...

Quote:
No sports games have come out yet on UE 4. Action Arcade Wrestling 3 is using it, but that game's still in development.

UE 3 was used in several sports games:
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD (terrible)
  • WWE All Stars (pretty good)
  • Black College Football: The Xperience (subpar)
  • Kinect Big League Sports (never played it)
  • Real Boxing (never played it)
  • Lucha Libre: Heroes del Ring (never played it)
  • Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars (never played it)
What do you see in the screenshot? Any clues as to what Joe Montana football is going to be at this point?

Member Comments
# 81 kehlis @ 03/16/15 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollack34
It would trounce Madden and EA. Madden and EA would be left to the casuals.
And the casuals far outweigh the sim crowd so no, Madden would not be trounced.

That being said, I don't think the initial goal is to beat Madden in sales. They can't realistically expect that to happen.

If they want success they will have to build to it with a solid base.

# 82 iNolaNightmare @ 03/16/15 11:46 PM
Unless this is a very early image of the game, or a trick, I think the NFL license dream can be put to rest for another year.

Just look at the intricacies of the screenshot. For example, the Joe Montana logo on the helmet. It reminds me of the APF logo on the helmet in APF 2k8. The helmets are very strange and unlike NFL helmets, so are the cleats.

I'm not discouraged, though. I'm excited for this game and the idea of it. I hope it brings plenty of customization. But Damon just retweeted a yahoo article about the game, in which it stated this very likely isn't an NFL game, and couldn't be unless it was on PC because EA still has the console license.

Here's the link for said article: http://news.yahoo.com/joe-montana-fo...dVjk0AsJknnIlQ

Like others have said, this doesn't have to be NFL licensed right away. Let the game build a strong foundation first and then present it to the NFL come game time.

As for the screenshot, this was like getting your friend to break up with your girlfriend for you.

# 83 kjcheezhead @ 03/16/15 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
And the casuals far outweigh the sim crowd so no, Madden would not be trounced.

That being said, I don't think the initial goal is to beat Madden in sales. They can't realistically expect that to happen.

If they want success they will have to build to it with a solid base.
I honestly don't care if it's ever their goal to beat madden in sales as long as the game is good and gets enough to make more editions.

In fact, I hope it's true that this game comes out in July when ncaa used to so madden fans can still opt to grab this and play for a month to a month and a half before madden 16 drops. Then they can get their madden on and still help this new franchise too.

# 84 Hank_Ferguson @ 03/16/15 11:57 PM
If it comes out on PC...we can make it NFL!!!

# 85 xman2k @ 03/17/15 12:08 AM
Yeah the more I look at it, the more I see a more futuristic or arena looking thing. Also how true is the PC thing, I thought madden had everything except mobile. Price must be outrageous for 2k not to invest in that, also wish 2k never ever said "we don't want to ruin our chances on a future nfl title". They need to release something and let us decide what to so with it

# 86 BenGerman @ 03/17/15 12:13 AM
I think people, in general, are hungry for a new football game. When news broke of another possible football title, it made the front page of reddit in less than an hour.

The game's best route to success would be to create a viable alternative in terms of gameplay to Madden. Build off of a small but consistent group of buyers (as NBA 2K did back in the day) and let the product speak for itself. Sooner or later, when your game starts popping up with solid reviews all over the place, you will create a name for yourself.

As a consumer, this is a win pretty much no matter how you look at it. We needed competition, and maybe this will provide it.

# 87 Trick13 @ 03/17/15 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Damon said there would be something soon coming out that would make the game more clearer and then he said it will make it unclear too.

I like what I see, still some more questions need answered.

Just curious, where you getting that from? Twitter or something else?
And was that statement made before this screenshot was released or after?

# 88 dxyyz1 @ 03/17/15 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
Just curious, where you getting that from? Twitter or something else?
And was that statement made before this screenshot was released or after?
damon said that in a twitch stream on sunday

# 89 OSUFan_88 @ 03/17/15 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwest85
To me that would mean it's clearer because it's a console game and what's sorta unclear is the license.
How is that unclear?

Why would they release a picture of the game...but using uniforms that no team uses? Are you telling me that they couldn't take the time to render an actual NFL jersey?

Christ on a cracker, guys, there is not an NFL licence with this game.

# 90 un4gettable fire @ 03/17/15 12:35 AM
This looks promising. What I believe is that there should be a decent contender with Madden for us sim guys.

If this game really does have a good franchise mode, if will be a buy from me. On PC? even better. The real icing on the cake would it being very customizable. I'm feeling more confident about the potential of this game.

# 91 OSUFan_88 @ 03/17/15 12:37 AM
Quote:
Well maybe they can't say there is a license, because they haven't said who the developer is. Maybe that was an ultimate team screen shot. Why are they being so secretive about all th is information.
Hey man, that's fine. Don't let an ******* like me tell you what to believe in.

I'm pretty sure they aren't being secretive. It's just a ploy to get everyone interested.

But I'm 100000% sure that this game has literally 0 NFL licence.

# 92 PVarck31 @ 03/17/15 12:53 AM
Quote:
Well maybe they can't say there is a license, because they haven't said who the developer is. Maybe that was an ultimate team screen shot. Why are they being so secretive about all this information?
I don't think knowing who the developer is would have anything to do with it. If this was an NFL game they would probably be screaming that from the rooftops. They wouldn't post a screen with generic players, uniforms, and a generic stadium. I think you're letting your want of an NFL game cloud your judgement.

# 93 statnut @ 03/17/15 12:56 AM
Yeah, this has got to be a non-NFL game. Which is fine with me. I bought APF, I bought Backbreaker. Odds are, I'll buy this.

# 94 bkrich83 @ 03/17/15 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I don't think knowing who the developer is would have anything to do with it. If this was an NFL game they would probably be screaming that from the rooftops. They wouldn't post a screen with generic players, uniforms, and a generic stadium. I think you're letting your want of an NFL game cloud your judgement.
If this was an NFL game we'd all know about it.

# 95 Fist Of Kings @ 03/17/15 01:06 AM
Anything to save me from the mediocrity of yet another Madden yearly release. I am hoping for the best with this game.

# 96 Potatoes002 @ 03/17/15 01:34 AM
I'm excited. Never felt like this was going to be a NFL game and that screenshot is pretty clear that this game will be out on consoles.

Don't care if the game is generic, past NFL legends, or some type of future league....

JUST GIVE ME A SIM GAME OF FOOTBALL!!!

# 97 Planned River @ 03/17/15 01:55 AM
I recommend everybody to assume the game is a NON-NFL licensed game for the meantime. Your hopes won't be shattered if it's not an nfl game plus, if it is an nfl game you'll be getting a sports car for Christmas when really you just wanted a new bike!

# 98 TjJunior @ 03/17/15 02:43 AM
I don't care for official teams too much. That's what the NFL network is for I get my Ravens fix off of that. If this game gives me the ability to build my teams from skills to playbooks the uniforms I select and the names on the backs don't matter. Just let me build my team the exact way I want to build it.

# 99 TjJunior @ 03/17/15 02:48 AM
Hopefully size and weight matter, because those guys are looking the same height and weight in this screen.

# 100 TjJunior @ 03/17/15 03:11 AM
I remember when any star athlete in any sport could get a game. League license and all. Video games are such big money now, its why I get hooked on games like hotline miami and olli olli. Games that exist only to be played, not marketed.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.