Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Maybe this is a fitting end for what was simply a rocky existence for 2K Sports' NBA 2K14 on next-gen consoles. As originally reported by Polygon, and discussed in our forums -- 2K Sports shut down their NBA 2K14 servers on March 31, 2015.

This isn't a huge deal on the surface, until you find out that 2K promised this wouldn't result in players losing access to their career mode saves -- and it did.

In a statement to Polygon, a 2K Sports official promised, "Online files will not disappear, but rather they will turn to offline saves and earn skill points as opposed to VC."

In a statement from 2K Support on this issue, they say:

Quote:
"Sadly this may come as an inconvenience to some of you and if so we truly do understand and can feel for how upsetting this may seem as there always is a special bond that occurs between a player and their MyCareer save but all good things must come to an end and rest assured your MyCareer or MyGM went out while on top!" - (Polygon)

This seems to be little consolation after assurances to the contrary. One has to wonder if this is how it's going to be every year with NBA 2K -- and if so, what's the point in spending ANY money on VC if all of that work is going to simply be retired by 2K at their discretion?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 maltliquor23 @ 04/07/15 12:47 PM
I'll have a tough time supporting 2k sports from year to year so long as saves must be maintained online

# 2 Real2KInsider @ 04/07/15 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
This seems to be little consolation after assurances to the contrary. One has to wonder if this is how it's going to be every year with NBA 2K -- and if so, what's the point in spending ANY money on VC if all of that work is going to simply be retired by 2K at their discretion?
Just wait until people figure out the thousand dollars they spent on their MyTeam collections won't carry over to 2K16.

# 3 nickthemajin @ 04/07/15 01:08 PM
I'm glad I haven't spent a dime on VC. When I'm studying I throw on a myleague game with the CPU playing each other and farm VC easily that way. Or I load up an old career where I have a max contract on HOF and just foul out for 1000VC per 3 minutes

# 4 Magnus1959 @ 04/07/15 01:19 PM
I have so much time invested playing 2K15 an it's going to suck if can't go back and play my Careers. his ensures the that you have to buy every year if you want to play.

# 5 Ownal0t @ 04/07/15 01:22 PM
they should really give people a portion of their VC (if they paid) back if they are going to do this mess. this is so wrong i knew people who played 2k14 still cause they disliked 15 and now they are screwed out of their favorite series twice in the same year

# 6 zrohman @ 04/07/15 01:29 PM
Lol. I smell a lawsuit. Making people pay for a virtual product, promising it won't effect certain things, lying, and talking away what they paid for.

# 7 johnnyg83 @ 04/07/15 02:24 PM
This is 100% complete BS.

incredibly bad PR and planning. And their response comes off even worse: smug and dismissive of people who've invested hundreds of hours in their product.

I'm going to take some time off from 2K products.

# 8 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 04/07/15 03:33 PM
I will never spend a dime on VC. Never have & never will.

# 9 IgotSyphillis @ 04/07/15 03:39 PM
This, combined with the horrible patch they released for 2K15 that made that game unplayable, will now result in me buying 2k16 used. I'm not gonna lie and say I won't buy the game. I love basketball and I don't like Live, so I'm getting 2k16. But im getting it used. So 2k doesn't get my money. They don't desevre it.

# 10 8KB24 @ 04/07/15 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
I will never spend a dime on VC. Never have & never will.
I never spend a cent on in-game stuff like VC in 2K or FIFA points/coins. It's useless. I have more fun playing with what I've earned rather than with what I bought..even tho I barely had enough to buy 2K15 and FIFA 15

# 11 cadalyst17 @ 04/07/15 03:51 PM
'If you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan"...promises...promises :-)

# 12 bcruise @ 04/07/15 03:55 PM
At least I have peace of mind that 2k15 MyLeague won't get slammed like this.

I'm not an every year purchaser of an NBA game (I don't particularly care for the brand, I just want something that represents basketball for every couple of years), so knowing I may not be able to use the game's career mode down the road is disappointing.

I doubt there's any legal action to be had here, for those bringing that up - most online EULA's state that they reserve the right to retire their service at any time, and I'd be shocked if 2k's didn't. So even if their support said you'd be able to play them offline I imagine they could just fall back on that EULA legally. Sure doesn't make for very good PR, though.

As always, your choice is whether or not to buy the game next year if you don't like their practices.

# 13 zrohman @ 04/07/15 03:57 PM
Spending money on vc to begin with is lazy and giving them way more money than they deserve. At the same time if you buy a service they can't lie to you about it and rip the service away from you

# 14 Magnus1959 @ 04/07/15 04:42 PM
Forget about the VC, what about all the time spent grinding for badges and building up your guy in My Career this year?

# 15 beegees @ 04/07/15 05:05 PM
Since this year I will not buy a basketball game from rogues ('2K') anymore!!!
I was playing in NBA Live 14 from the nextgen start OK. But I bought some time after 2K14 on my Xbox One. In last year I decided to buy only 2K15, but in this year I will buy NBA Live 16, even the presentation of it would be worse that by 2K.
The biggest SHAME 2K!
P.S. I visit OP portal in last 2 year everyday, but this news was a trigger to sing up and write the first comment.

# 16 jackzagal @ 04/07/15 05:11 PM
Yet another freaking mess made by 2k They are lucky that NBA Live is (still) bad compared to NBA 2k, they seem to take customers for granted sometimes...

# 17 ksuttonjr76 @ 04/07/15 05:33 PM
I'm confused...I thought the players did become offline without an Internet connection? I personally remember the warning if you tried to play with an internet connection.

This was on the 360 though.

# 18 Pokes404 @ 04/07/15 05:44 PM
This was bad, 2K. I have no problem with saves/VC not transferring from game to game, but to essentially erase someone's save off their hard drive for a game that they paid for, that's just wrong.

# 19 Battman @ 04/07/15 06:17 PM
Just another example why MLB :The Show is better than any other sports franchise. Year by year saves are still not enough appreciated. It is nothing less than a sports gaming revolution and should be standard for all sports games in the future.

# 20 JerzeyReign @ 04/07/15 07:33 PM
Hopefully this gets the ball rolling on NOT connecting everything to their servers.

Haven't been invested in a franchise since this move by them. Quick online ranked games or just playing with friends.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.