Home
Project CARS News Post

Project CARS is available now for PC users and just as a reminder, it won't be available for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 users until May 12th.

For those of you that purchase it for the PC, race a few laps and post your impressions!

Game: Project CARSReader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox OneVotes for game: 1 - View All
Project CARS Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Stormyhog @ 05/07/15 11:28 PM
Some more PS4 gameplay with chat that I came across.

# 42 longshadow11 @ 05/07/15 11:43 PM
Playing on pc. Graphics are very nice and the game handles well with a 360 controller. Project Cars is a quality game. It seems that you can play with total sim realism or fairly arcade. Solid title, if you're a racing fan I highly recommend it.

# 43 LucianoJJ @ 05/08/15 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by longshadow11
Playing on pc. Graphics are very nice and the game handles well with a 360 controller. Project Cars is a quality game. It seems that you can play with total sim realism or fairly arcade. Solid title, if you're a racing fan I highly recommend it.

I used my 360 controller, too. Downloading and installing the driver for my Logitech MOMO wheel was a bit of a pain, but has worked out fine. Either way, regardless of what controller I use, Project CARS is great. I'll have to tweak the settings on my ASUS ROG to maximize the look of the game.

Am I disappointed by the initial mix of racing machines? Yes, but the gameplay experience seems to override that so far. Early on, it reminds me of GTR2. I get the sense Project CARS will age well, get better, be more enjoyable, and offer plenty of challenges. I'm optimistic.

# 44 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/08/15 02:40 PM
Some heavy fog and rain replay clip. With 30 cars I got around 65 to 68fps. Fog is a performance killer. With just rain I get around 84 to 93fps. Clear day 90 to 105fps.

# 45 geisterhome @ 05/08/15 03:38 PM
Guys, I read that you can have longer races over many rounds, is that true?
I'm so tired of those 3 round races ala Forza and Drive club.

# 46 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/08/15 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
Guys, I read that you can have longer races over many rounds, is that true?
I'm so tired of those 3 round races ala Forza and Drive club.
250 laps is the max
42 cars plus yours would be 43 cars total in a race

# 47 Solidice @ 05/08/15 07:25 PM
there a club race with MCLaren F1 that was a 3 hour race if done at 100%. I just chose to do 30 minutes though. I'm still in Karts for series right now, there is a big difference between them. that McLaren was really hard to drive. finished 20th(last).

# 48 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/08/15 07:44 PM
Well I know 5 laps take 8 minutes. 40 laps would put you around an hour. So that McLaren F1 race must be around 120 laps. It would take some SERIOUS stamina doing a 250 lap race.

# 49 jb12780 @ 05/08/15 08:18 PM
I could have sworn on the PS4 you could up to 45 other cars but I could be wrong.

But in career mode, you can pretty much choose how long the races are. There isn't a set limit.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

# 50 LingeringRegime @ 05/08/15 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
I could have sworn on the PS4 you could up to 45 other cars but I could be wrong.

But in career mode, you can pretty much choose how long the races are. There isn't a set limit.

I love that it gives you that flexibility with the career mode. Infinite replayiblity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 51 SinisterAlex @ 05/08/15 09:55 PM
Can't wait to do some races like this!

# 52 OnlookerDelay @ 05/09/15 07:56 AM
I downloaded this Thursday for my PC and so far, I'm a bit underwhelmed by it. I like a technical racing simulation, and this certainly is one, but it's a bit foreign to me right now. It's got some of the funkiest force feedback settings I've ever seen. There are at least a half dozen parameters you can set for force feedback that I've never heard of. I'm having trouble getting the sensitivity and range of motion where I want it also. I've made some progress in each department, but I'm now pretty sure I'm going to have set up a new profile in my Fanatec GT2 settings just for this game to get it where I want, which will be fine, I just haven't had to do that with any of my other racing games recently.

Project CARS also has something that doesn't quite compute in its animation performance. I've got the game set to Ultra with the graphics settings and FRAPS is reporting that my frame rates are 65 to 75 FPS, yet the only things that seem to be moving at that frame rate are the cars. The rest of the scene (track, track objects, backdrop) seem to move at an entirely different frame rate... low enough to look a bit choppy to me. I'm going to go back and cut some graphics detail to get the frame rates higher to see how this affects this odd situation.

My last major issue is with the acceleration. If you get on the accelerator harder than the car is capable of acclerating, it's like it starts engaging the clutch and you over-rev the engine. I've never experienced this in any other racing game. OTOH, if you modulate the accelerator to the extent it stays within whatever the car's acceleration curve is, you're fine... no clutch slippage. I'm having a hard time disciplining myself to stay below that threshold. Based on the acceleration of the AI cars around me, they're not bound by this limitation!?

It's not a plug & play game for sure and I am picking up on some things that I like. I'm not ready to throw it under the bus just yet. There's clearly a lot to discover based on the depth of the options it has. I had one race online last night in Formula A cars and it was like a Burnout Revenge-esque wreckfest!? I don't think most of it was intentional either. A lot of it seemed to be the result of the varying degrees of lag I was seeing reported in the entry list before the race. Lots of guys in the red, yet half a dozen in the green and under 100, with me.

As long as I've been buzzed about this game, it's a bit of a buzz-kill to feel the way I do about it right now, but I haven't given up on it. I had similar feelings about Grand Prix Legends the first time I tried it, and it wound up being my favorite racing game of all time!

# 53 jb12780 @ 05/09/15 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I downloaded this Thursday for my PC and so far, I'm a bit underwhelmed by it. I like a technical racing simulation, and this certainly is one, but it's a bit foreign to me right now. It's got some of the funkiest force feedback settings I've ever seen. There are at least a half dozen parameters you can set for force feedback that I've never heard of. I'm having trouble getting the sensitivity and range of motion where I want it also. I've made some progress in each department, but I'm now pretty sure I'm going to have set up a new profile in my Fanatec GT2 settings just for this game to get it where I want, which will be fine, I just haven't had to do that with any of my other racing games recently.

Project CARS also has something that doesn't quite compute in its animation performance. I've got the game set to Ultra with the graphics settings and FRAPS is reporting that my frame rates are 65 to 75 FPS, yet the only things that seem to be moving at that frame rate are the cars. The rest of the scene (track, track objects, backdrop) seem to move at an entirely different frame rate... low enough to look a bit choppy to me. I'm going to go back and cut some graphics detail to get the frame rates higher to see how this affects this odd situation.

My last major issue is with the acceleration. If you get on the accelerator harder than the car is capable of acclerating, it's like it starts engaging the clutch and you over-rev the engine. I've never experienced this in any other racing game. OTOH, if you modulate the accelerator to the extent it stays within whatever the car's acceleration curve is, you're fine... no clutch slippage. I'm having a hard time disciplining myself to stay below that threshold. Based on the acceleration of the AI cars around me, they're not bound by this limitation!?

It's not a plug & play game for sure and I am picking up on some things that I like. I'm not ready to throw it under the bus just yet. There's clearly a lot to discover based on the depth of the options it has. I had one race online last night in Formula A cars and it was like a Burnout Revenge-esque wreckfest!? I don't think most of it was intentional either. A lot of it seemed to be the result of the varying degrees of lag I was seeing reported in the entry list before the race. Lots of guys in the red, yet half a dozen in the green and under 100, with me.

As long as I've been buzzed about this game, it's a bit of a buzz-kill to feel the way I do about it right now, but I haven't given up on it. I had similar feelings about Grand Prix Legends the first time I tried it, and it wound up being my favorite racing game of all time!
The F1 cars are hard to drive. I'm still trying to keep the 125cc kart on the track.

# 54 Dazraz @ 05/09/15 07:51 PM
I've only had a couple of hours gameplay on the PS4 & overall I have to say I'm not as excited about this game as I thought I would be. This is largely due to the already limited number of cars spread even thinner across the numerous classes. This means that you are all too often racing against a field of just 1 or 2 different makes of car & sometimes just 1 model is available in some classes. You can open up races to all classes but this takes away a lot of the realism. I love the idea of pitting different models of cars against one another but as it stands their isn't a great deal of scope on offer to do so.

The number of Tracks on offer are far more plentiful. The number & variety on offer should keep everyone satisfied.

The quality of visuals on the PS4 is as expected of a very high quality. There are however some occasional glitches. Interestingly for a console game Graphics effects can be switched on/off although I've not played around with these to see if they make any obvious changes to the visual experience.

The ability to alter settings in Project Cars is one of its most stand out features. In regards to being able to adjust controller sensitivity the feature is of paramount importance. On default settings playing with a standard controller is like skating on ice. One touch & the car pulls harshly in that direction. Adjusting the settings brings things to a more manageable level although cars feel a lot lighter/looser than those on Forza. I honestly feel the game was developed with an emphasis on using a steering wheel controller.

Driver AI seems okay but it is far too early to make any accurate judgement on this. I have noticed the AI cars have no inhibitions in driving into you which can be frustrating especially with there being no rewind function in the game. Mechanical Failures are a part of the game but whether these affect AI cars or just user controlled cars I am yet to see. I did experience an Engine Blowout in one race. A strange thing I've noticed so far is that barriers seem to have an almost magnetic effect on the car in that when you hit them it seems overly hard to steer away. This particularly seems to affect Karts.

As it stands I'll probably give Project Cars a 7 out of 10. It does however have the potential to be much better. A couple of patches & an expansion to the field of cars & this game could stand out as the leader in its genre. As it stands I still favour Forza.

# 55 canes21 @ 05/09/15 08:20 PM
My only complaint is the library of cars. Great visuals, great driving, great track library, everything has been great so far. The car selection hasn't hindered my experience yet, but I would love to see it expand soon and often.

# 56 PaperBoyx703 @ 05/09/15 09:49 PM
My screen just goes black when I first launch it. Any ideas or troubleshoot? I've searched but nothing so far. Heard there are issues with AMD and that's what I use. The screen goes black and my Monitor tells me that the resolution is not supported. Really frustrated.

# 57 Lukin4 @ 05/09/15 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBoyx703
My screen just goes black when I first launch it. Any ideas or troubleshoot? I've searched but nothing so far. Heard there are issues with AMD and that's what I use. The screen goes black and my Monitor tells me that the resolution is not supported. Really frustrated.
There is a fix for this discussed in the pCars sub reddit

# 58 PaperBoyx703 @ 05/09/15 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukin4
There is a fix for this discussed in the pCars sub reddit
Never been on reddit before, mind sharing the link to that issue?

Edit: Nevermind I think it's the launch settings thing. Tried it just now but no luck

# 59 Behindshadows @ 05/10/15 12:10 AM
3rd week of career mode and loving the game...

One issue I have is when using heavy weather effects it eats up so much memory even with a powerful rig...

Frame drop to around 40 to 35 during heavy storms..

Normal rain and regular weather smooth 60fps to around 75fps no issues.

# 60 pj_28 @ 05/10/15 11:41 AM
I'm really looking forward to trying this game Tuesday. Can anyone that has it tell me if you can save in the middle of races?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.