Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

EA Sports released the first official trailer for Madden NFL 16 featuring the four cover-athlete candidates and showing off some new pass catching and defense animations.

Many of the animations feature what I would suppose are the more spectacular catches which were added into the game. No doubt Odell Beckham Jr. is a great cover choice given the game's emphasis this year.

As was revealed earlier today, the big 'back of the box' features for Madden NFL 16 were released today -- with a particular interest on the passing game being the big focus in this year's title. Those changes are definitely long overdue for the series, and if the same treatment can be given to the passing game that was given to the run game -- Madden looks to have a much improved game of football this year on the field.

What did you think of the trailer? Sound off and let us know!

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 CM Hooe @ 05/15/15 08:17 PM
I don't understand how any longtime follower of sports video games can claim EA has "fooled" anyone at this point. The base game of Madden has existed in its current form for, what, a decade now, and every year there's the same year-over-year iterative changes, just like any other annual video game franchise, sports or otherwise.

Based on EA Sports' own established track record with not only Madden but all their sports video game franchises, why is any go in expecting revolutionary changes this year? There's no basis for such expectation and you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. That's not EA's fault. They are clearly happy with their own output and until unit sales and MUT micro transaction downloads plummet, they aren't going to change their creative direction.

I say all this as someone who likes Madden. And I do like Madden. But I don't expect the world from it. I expect it to be Madden.

# 42 apollon42 @ 05/15/15 08:26 PM
I was extremely underwhelmed. The fact of the matter is when the next gen consoles came out, they ported the broken PS3 game over instead of building the game from the ground up. We've had the same broken engine for a decade.

# 43 Don Jon @ 05/15/15 08:26 PM
^CM Summarized my thoughts on madden. It's a shame that the number one sport in the US doesn't get the best when it comes to their video game representation.

# 44 Jr. @ 05/15/15 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I guess I don't understand why you guys are talking about player movement, seeing that there is none being shown here. You can't judge player movement in Madden 16 by less than 10 seconds of footage of guys jumping in the air. This trailer is not a very good representation of what's coming in Madden 16, it's a SMALL taste.
When did you get a chance to play the game? Impressions?

# 45 Skyboxer @ 05/15/15 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I don't understand how any longtime follower of sports video games can claim EA has "fooled" anyone at this point. The base game of Madden has existed in its current form for, what, a decade now, and every year there's the same year-over-year iterative changes, just like any other annual video game franchise, sports or otherwise.

Based on EA Sports' own established track record with not only Madden but all their sports video game franchises, why is any go in expecting revolutionary changes this year? There's no basis for such expectation and you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. That's not EA's fault. They are clearly happy with their own output and until unit sales and MUT micro transaction downloads plummet, they aren't going to change their creative direction.

I say all this as someone who likes Madden. And I do like Madden. But I don't expect the world from it. I expect it to be Madden.
I also liked Madden and always expect it to be Madden. I want it to get better each year (and it has the past couple).

Each year people complain about changes that aren't going to happen or that something is "broken".. then claim they aren't buying...
then are always the lucky ones who find a gift card or have a B-day and get Madden "free".. because you know.. they would never buy that trash.

If we could just get (What might be this year) better WR/DB interaction and tuned OL/DL work and then on top add more to CFM excitement...
I'll be content for another year.
Madden 15 was the longest Madden I've played since Madden on my Apple.

Not anywhere near where I want or think we should be but in the end it's been fun even with some shortcomings. I'll continue to give input

# 46 jpdavis82 @ 05/15/15 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
When did you get a chance to play the game? Impressions?
Can't talk about it but when the time comes, I definitely will.

# 47 Jr. @ 05/15/15 08:59 PM
Quote:
Can't talk about it but when the time comes, I definitely will.
Looking forward to it. Maybe until then, lay off the foreshadowing? I don't know if it's against the TOS to hint at something that can't be discussed, but with your track record, it tends to derail threads.

Not trying to sound like a dick.. just a suggestion/request.

# 48 jpdavis82 @ 05/15/15 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Looking forward to it. Maybe until then, lay off the foreshadowing? I don't know if it's against the TOS to hint at something that can't be discussed, but with your track record, it tends to derail threads.

Not trying to sound like a dick.. just a suggestion/request.
I understand, I'm not hinting at anything or saying anything else about it, other than people need to play the game before jumping to conclusions based on trailers.

# 49 jfsolo @ 05/15/15 10:21 PM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I also liked Madden and always expect it to be Madden. I want it to get better each year (and it has the past couple).

Each year people complain about changes that aren't going to happen or that something is "broken".. then claim they aren't buying...
then are always the lucky ones who find a gift card or have a B-day and get Madden "free".. because you know.. they would never buy that trash.

If we could just get (What might be this year) better WR/DB interaction and tuned OL/DL work and then on top add more to CFM excitement...
I'll be content for another year.
Madden 15 was the longest Madden I've played since Madden on my Apple.

Not anywhere near where I want or think we should be but in the end it's been fun even with some shortcomings. I'll continue to give input
It's two-fold, one is there being no other football games to choose from of course, and the other is Madden's use in the past of phrases like, "most realistic NFL simulation" or "authentic NFL gameplay". Those are just smart marketing blurbs, but many here take great umbrage with those kinds of statements. It's purely marketing 101, but some feel that saying that kind of stuff creates or should create a standard that EA has to live up to.

Very few people care if NBA Live makes any kind of statements about NBA authenticity, because even if they are just talking out of their nose, there is another choice to be made.

If will never, never, never happen of course, but it Tiburon came out and actually said, "Madden uses the NFL as a reference point, but we really aren't trying to replicate NFL gameplay in a completely authentic manner." I wonder if that would free people from hoping that Madden will ever be radically different than what it is now.

# 50 Skyboxer @ 05/15/15 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
It's two-fold, one is there being no other football games to choose from of course, and the other is Madden's use in the past of phrases like, "most realistic NFL simulation" or "authentic NFL gameplay". Those are just smart marketing blurbs, but many here take great umbrage with those kinds of statements. It's purely marketing 101, but some feel that saying that kind of stuff creates or should create a standard that EA has to live up to.

Very few people care if NBA Live makes any kind of statements about NBA authenticity, because even if they are just talking out of their nose, there is another choice to be made.

If will never, never, never happen of course, but it Tiburon came out and actually said, "Madden uses the NFL as a reference point, but we really aren't trying to replicate NFL gameplay in a completely authentic manner." I wonder if that would free people from hoping that Madden will ever be radically different than what it is now.
The sales Madden gets every year pretty much guarantees the recipe isn't changing much as far as "Madden" football.
That alone should, but doesn't, keep some gamers expectations in check.

With some of the things I've read (holding on runs AND passing plays now as well as D holding if I take Rex's reply correctly) ..I'm at least for now, seeing some changes/additions for the good.

# 51 jpdavis82 @ 05/15/15 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
The sales Madden gets every year pretty much guarantees the recipe isn't changing much as far as "Madden" football.
That alone should, but doesn't, keep some gamers expectations in check.

With some of the things I've read (holding on runs AND passing plays now as well as D holding if I take Rex's reply correctly) ..I'm at least for now, seeing some changes/additions for the good.
Where is Rex's reply? I didn't see it in this thread, is it in another thread?

# 52 Potatoes002 @ 05/15/15 11:32 PM
Quote:
Where is Rex's reply? I didn't see it in this thread, is it in another thread?
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...&postcount=237

It didn't sound like defensive holding, imo. We shall see.

# 53 SageInfinite @ 05/15/15 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoes002
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...&postcount=237

It didn't sound like defensive holding, imo. We shall see.
Standard dev response. Answer without answering, lol. I respect it, atleast it was a response.

# 54 roadman @ 05/16/15 12:02 AM
I didn't even see that quote.

If it is true, then I refer to a quote from one of my favorite movies, Animal House:

Oh boy, this is going to be great.......(if true)

# 55 Skyboxer @ 05/16/15 12:23 AM
Asked if D holding was what he was refering to when he said holding was in... "Offensive Holding is in as well for both run and pass blocking.

I could be wrong but I take that as well as D holding.. O holding (Pass and run) are also in.
Either way I think it was an answer...
Guess we'll find out soon enough.

# 56 PVarck31 @ 05/16/15 01:29 AM
Quote:
I understand, I'm not hinting at anything or saying anything else about it, other than people need to play the game before jumping to conclusions based on trailers.
Ok, you've said we all need to wait and play the game 9 times now. We get it. Stop posting this now.

# 57 rudyjuly2 @ 05/16/15 08:04 AM
I liked what I saw. I have gotten really sick of the Super DB swat, particularly on deep balls where they jump and knock it down easily despite the fact you almost never see a DB in real life stop when trailing a WR to jump and swat. WRs have always been very passive in Madden and I've read similar complaints about that for years. This video shows me some tight window completions that hopefully allow some cool and realistic plays.

Now hopefully we will get the ability to throw the ball before the break to replicate real timing. I would also like to see press coverage tweaked so there isn't such an obvious win and loss at the line.

# 58 CM Hooe @ 05/16/15 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo

Again, I reiterate - if a video game isn't living up to a person's expectations year after year, if a person keeps getting "fooled" by a game's marketing year after year and said person keeps paying attention to said game which he clearly doesn't like, whose fault is it really?

The exclusive license (which I'm not a fan of either, don't twist my words) doesn't affect this question whatsoever. If one doesn't like the game, there are hundreds of other games to spend your money, time, and patience on. It's unfortunate that there's no other football game option on consoles, but even the choice between spending $60 on a game one clearly doesn't enjoy or not spending $60 at all should be obvious.

As to how Tiburon messages the game - it's not their responsibility to message the game in a manner people here think is appropriate. It's the consumer's responsibility to realize the marketing doesn't match the product and to spend their attention on other games where he feels marketing and product are more closely aligned.

# 59 PeoplesChampGB @ 05/16/15 09:11 AM
Quote:
Again, I reiterate - if a video game isn't living up to a person's expectations year after year, if a person keeps getting "fooled" by a game's marketing year after year and said person keeps paying attention to said game which he clearly doesn't like, whose fault is it really?

The exclusive license (which I'm not a fan of either, don't twist my words) doesn't affect this question whatsoever. If one doesn't like the game, there are hundreds of other games to spend your money, time, and patience on. It's unfortunate that there's no other football game option on consoles, but even the choice between spending $60 on a game one clearly doesn't enjoy or not spending $60 at all should be obvious.

As to how Tiburon messages the game - it's not their responsibility to message the game in a manner people here think is appropriate. It's the consumer's responsibility to realize the marketing doesn't match the product and to spend their attention on other games where he feels marketing and product are more closely aligned.
You are 100% correct. It is the consumer who ultimately decides if they are going to buy the game or not. EA isn't forcing your hand.

At the same time, however, I believe that EA should stop using "It's in the game" when clearly it hasn't.

And more choices doesn't necessarily mean better. If anyone remembers the last time "the other game" came out, it wasn't necessarily the best IE: Fatigue, QB problems. Just because there is competition doesn't mean that one is going to clearly outshine the other.

# 60 SageInfinite @ 05/16/15 12:46 PM
Quote:

This is 100% real. People need to save their money if they are dissatisfied with Madden as an NFL product. Show EA and the NFL you're not happy. It doesn't matter if you don't feel it will make a difference, it will for you. You can't complain about something, then turn around and support it. This has been going on for a decade, it's nothing new. If you enjoy Madden support it, there's nothing wrong with it, but if you don't and you still go out and buy it new, and give EA data of you playing online, you need to check yourself.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.