Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

EA Sports has released a couple new screenshots that tie together with the previously discussed notion of being a playmaker in Madden NFL 16.

There is not much new info within EA's latest post, but there is a mention of "dynamic goals and achievements" based around what you do as a playmaker. It's purely speculation, but perhaps this means there will be more focus on the "Be a Pro" portion of the game, or at least there will be more ways for you to reach certain benchmarks that make each game a bit more unique.

Check out the screens at the attached link or click on them below.

Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 CM Hooe @ 05/21/15 07:44 PM
Screen shots look fine to me.

Not a great deal better than Madden NFL 15, but as I said in a different thread I didn't expect a giant graphical leap.

# 22 jpdavis82 @ 05/21/15 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitychamps87
I am a big Madden and NFL fan...I just think as fans we deserve improvement relative to the rest of the industry. And if they really improved lighting in a significant way, wouldn't we be able to tell? Most comments are expressing the fact that this looks like Madden 15.
I can tell the difference, especially in the Luck, Patrick Peterson, and Calvin & PP screenshots.

# 23 SolidSquid @ 05/21/15 07:47 PM
Was really hoping the next batch of screens would feature updated Nike equipment instead of the 10 year old reebok stuff. Any news on the equipment front jpdavis?

# 24 scitychamps87 @ 05/21/15 07:48 PM
I'll admit some shots do look a little bit better. I'm really hung up on the one with Antonio Brown though...It almost looks like last-gen

# 25 DeuceDouglas @ 05/21/15 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Screen shots look fine to me.

Not a great deal better than Madden NFL 15, but as I said in a different thread I didn't expect a giant graphical leap.
I'm in the same boat. I didn't expect much of an upgrade either. If you look at Madden 2002 or whichever was the first on those systems, other than lighting, the graphics didn't really improve much. 2005 changed up the models a bit but they weren't a whole lot different. The only thing I really wanted to see was an upgrade on colors and lighting and I'm just not seeing it here. The Cardinals red almost looks maroon/pinkish and then the lack of new equipment is frustrating. I mean, I've got pictures of Priest Holmes from 2003 wearing the same gloves that are in these screenshots. I get that equipment isn't a huge issue to most people and whatnot but it's just frustrating as someone who loves uniform intricacies, details and player uniqueness.

# 26 The JareBear @ 05/21/15 08:41 PM
Probably hard to discern improvements in 1vs1 player interactions from still screenshots. Overall the graphics, as screenshots go, look pretty much the same fro last year to me, but honestly that doesn't matter to me if the game plays well.

# 27 Sausage @ 05/21/15 08:41 PM
I would be just fine with a polish to the bench players, coaches, camera men, special attendees. and addition of cheerleaders.

# 28 Sausage @ 05/21/15 08:45 PM
After closer inspection from the Andre Johnson / Sherman and Antonio Brown screenshots, the sidelines are still like scene from a zombie movie; hopefully next year...right?

# 29 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/21/15 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
If the game looks better in motion, nobody will complain about the graphics.
False.. One thing I noticed, and notice in motion too is the fact that the Steelers' sleeve are wrong, still...They striping does not go all the way around the sleeve.

# 30 nuckles2k2 @ 05/21/15 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
If you're comparing football to basketball/hockey keep in mind that there are 22 on-field players as opposed to 10/12....that matters when you're talking about graphic detail and how smoothly the game runs.

Edit: posted before you edited to focus on the lighting/colors.
I don't want to continuously beat this dead horse, cause it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but...

Madden 15 (and 16 looks very similar to 15) was 18gigs and change on the PS4, and around 9 gigs on the PS3.

The 360 used DVD-9, and the game was made to the most restricting specs so ports could be made for which ever console wasn't the dev focus. Nothing wrong with that.

Madden on the "next gen" consoles seem to just be double in size of "last gen". *Almost* as if they're just uncompressed PS3/360 games with a little touching up to render a bit prettier on the new consoles.

It's undeniable that the shading, lighting, and textures in Madden don't mirror what we see as being possible on these machines.

A game like Killzone Shadow Fall was reportedly almost 300GB before compression down to 40GB+. There's probably some exaggerations in those claims, but I would like to know what Madden is being compressed down from to get the game all the way down to 18GB+.

And why is 18GB+ even necessary when that leaves over 30GB seemingly unused?

Sure, the screenshots look alright. Nothing glaringly wrong with them, and they're perfectly passable/acceptable. But even with 22 players on the field, why does that prevent them from loading up the blu-ray with better textures & lighting to use on those 22 players?

# 31 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/21/15 08:55 PM
Player uniforms, for the most part, look bland and washed out; over exposed...Really not something I wanna be looking at for a year..

# 32 reverend_heat @ 05/21/15 09:24 PM
madden cannot take the next step visually until EA takes player likeness more seriously. the shots in a lot of instances simply do not look like the player they are attempting to re-create. player models need adjusting, and in reality need to be redone completely. Antonio Browns body looks like Woody from Toy Story, in a lot of cases players need to be more compact I guess is the best word, and in a lot of cases the players heads are still waaay too big for their body, look at the shots of Beckham jr. for an example. And the uniforms, especially the jersey numbers, are just completely off size wise.

# 33 1NE @ 05/21/15 09:27 PM
I feel like I've already seen this before.

# 34 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 05/21/15 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
I would be just fine with a polish to the bench players, coaches, camera men, special attendees. and addition of cheerleaders.
This! Where are the Living Worlds we were promised? I know Clint tweeted something to the effect of they bit off more than they could chew when they made the transition front last gen, but can the sidelines get a little love? I'm not expectin sideline players to have the same graphical fidelity as players on the field but can they be a little more detailed? Can we at least get player names on the back of sideline players jerseys? Can we at least get them to react properly to what's happening on the field? Can we at least get some cheerleaders & mascots? Are there woman & children finally in the crowd this year? Are camera men still wearing shorts & t-shirts in snow games? I mean is this stuff too much to ask?

I know game play is obviously most important, but with the power of these Next Gen consoles there's no reason for attention to detail to continue to be neglected year after year. I'm all about immersion so I hope EA addresses these things as well as game play. Step it up EA!

# 35 Potatoes002 @ 05/21/15 09:54 PM
The lighting does look better in these, though once again it appears the helmets and jerseys don't match in color tone/lighting. Not a huge leap from last year, but it is noticeable. The graphics in Madden last year weren't bad to begin with, but compared to other games on these systems it leaves more to be desired.

I keep seeing the quote about throwing to where only your WR can get it. Hopefully this new height advantage addition applies to the defense too. Guys like Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner should be hell to deal with at times just because of their length alone. Anxious to hear more about this.

# 36 TheDominator273 @ 05/21/15 10:04 PM
Gronks numbers look bad. Screens don't look any better than M15 which is disappointing.

# 37 poulka @ 05/21/15 10:13 PM
I want to see more dynamic gameplay, M15 was decent, but that should have laid the foundation to something greater. Something I don't understand, I'm a weather buff in football as these racing games are getting creative with weather why can't Madden. I mean if you look at football, weather is an important variable ,not just tacked on addition. For example when playing at Denver, Chicago, KC, I have seen games with sleet rain and snow all mixed or changing back and forth from both.

# 38 rsc3487 @ 05/22/15 12:03 AM
is it really that hard to update the equipment

# 39 Deezo @ 05/22/15 12:13 AM
So today after a production meeting at work (I work for a media production studio that does a lot of animation and character design for some pretty large game studios) I showed two of our lead animators the "new screenshots" for Madden 16 and then screens from Madden 15. Their response was pretty funny. Now I have no animation or coding experience, I just handle marketing and bizdev, but according to them it wouldn't be hard to add things like licensed equipment, correcting the helmet and jersey colors (the colts helmet and jersey blues are different).

I know these are early screens but for the most part this game was more than likely started shortly after or even during the completion of Madden 15. You would think for next gen some of this stuff would've been cleaned up.

As for game play, please let there me some MAJOR improvements to DB/WR interactions and a huge update to the AI...

# 40 CM Hooe @ 05/22/15 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
I don't want to continuously beat this dead horse, cause it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but...

Madden 15 (and 16 looks very similar to 15) was 18gigs and change on the PS4, and around 9 gigs on the PS3.

The 360 used DVD-9, and the game was made to the most restricting specs so ports could be made for which ever console wasn't the dev focus. Nothing wrong with that.

Madden on the "next gen" consoles seem to just be double in size of "last gen". *Almost* as if they're just uncompressed PS3/360 games with a little touching up to render a bit prettier on the new consoles.

It's undeniable that the shading, lighting, and textures in Madden don't mirror what we see as being possible on these machines.

A game like Killzone Shadow Fall was reportedly almost 300GB before compression down to 40GB+. There's probably some exaggerations in those claims, but I would like to know what Madden is being compressed down from to get the game all the way down to 18GB+.

And why is 18GB+ even necessary when that leaves over 30GB seemingly unused?

Sure, the screenshots look alright. Nothing glaringly wrong with them, and they're perfectly passable/acceptable. But even with 22 players on the field, why does that prevent them from loading up the blu-ray with better textures & lighting to use on those 22 players?
On the whole hard-disc space thing because it comes up every single year without fail here:

1 - There are hard-bound limits on how many assets may be loaded at once.

A modern video game console has 8GB of RAM. On XBOX One, at least a quarter of that is reserved for the operating system. So the developer is down to 5 or 6 GB of usable memory before he writes a line of code. That's all the space the developer gets everything he wants to render at once - HD-textures, geometry, and animations being the big-ticket items here - and also any audio you want to play (audio can be streamed from disc, and I assume that this is how commentary and in-game music is handled). Just because one makes a ton of HD assets for a game doesn't mean he gets to use them all.

2 - More importantly - Madden doesn't have a large disc footprint because it doesn't need to have a large disc footprint. The specific technical challenges it faces don't require using a ton of space to solve.

Open-world games use a lot of tricks loading and unloading assets in background to maximize the level of detail in the things closest to the player and minimize the amount of detail in assets farther away from the player. This primarily involves having textures of various sizes and geometries of varying qualities, and the duplicate larger / smaller assets are swapped in and out as needed depending on distance from the camera. This can result in a ton of duplicate assets on disc for the various quality levels of each asset. Madden NFL doesn't really do a whole lot of level-of-detail swapping - some, yes, but definitely not to the extent of an open-world game or a first-person shooter.

Another thing - games with large environments will also use tricks for faster and better lighting which require disc space. An example of such a trick is "baked" lighting, where the effects of a set of lights on a 3D environment are calculated beforehand and saved to a set of light map texture files. Depending on the complexity of the environment, a single level of a game can have a TON of light maps. Baked lighting is faster to render than real-time lighting, but the trade-off is - you guessed it - the disc space required to store the baked lighting information, which can be massive. Madden as far as I can tell doesn't use or have a reason to use baked lighting anywhere in the game; if it does have baked lighting anywhere, there isn't much; I would guess maybe the stadiums? That'd really be it, though, the lighting and shading for players is definitely real-time.

3 - One of Madden's weaker points is its commentary. NBA 2K and MLB The Show in particular have a ton of audio - not only for commentary, but also for their single-player campaign modes - and a very robust system to play various audio clips in a staggeringly wide variety of situations. Madden doesn't have dedicated single-player modes with extensive audio requirements, and its commentary system is not as extensive as other sports games so there aren't as many commentary audio files in the first place; thus, smaller disc footprint. Madden also doesn't have a feature like NBA 2K Real Voice, thus giving NBA 2K another reason to be a larger game.

There's no correlation between disc footprint and game quality, anyway, and the idea that Madden would be better if they simply filled more gigabytes is silly. The game doesn't automatically get better if EA decides to fill the remaining 10 GB or whatever with NFL Films footage, for example.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.