Home
Need for Speed News Post

Since always online has been such a raging success, with every game trying it having no issues whatsoever, EA has decided to make Need for Speed require an online connection in order to play. As was revealed on the official Twitter account for Need for Speed...

Of course, there is a single player component to the game, just you'll need to be connected to the EA servers to play it.

I guess we'll just wait and see. One of these days, a major 'always-online' game is going to launch and it's going to work amazingly well from the get go. Why not Need for Speed, right?

Game: Need for SpeedReader Score: 10/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 1 - View All
Need for Speed Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Datninja619 @ 05/29/15 10:32 AM
Can't wait until Lizard Squad hacks the systems again and render our consoles as bricks -_-. If games are going to require a constant online connection, then YOUR severs need to be functional and secure.

# 2 GlennN @ 05/29/15 10:33 AM
Huge tactical mistake by EA. Those who love the series will still buy it, but casual fans, like me, will reject now. The game is not important enough to me to agree to those terms. To me, aside from server issues which may interrupt gameplay, my use of the game ends when EA decides to close down its servers? Unacceptable. No way am I agreeing to that.

# 3 AUChase @ 05/29/15 10:50 AM
That's a significant mistake in my opinion.

As someone who is a fan of NFS games, It may have an impact on my decision down the line. It makes me even more skeptical about the makeover.

# 4 DBAB23 @ 05/29/15 12:05 PM
Welp, this will end badly. I understand what EA is trying to do here - but the reality is it just does not work with the current environment we all have to rely on. This will go down in flames. Hope we are all wrong, but always online is a joke.

# 5 jpollack34 @ 05/29/15 12:24 PM
Then I'll have to pass. I went through the SimCity disaster and it was the same thing, they said that always online was for us the gamers and that it would improve our experience. It turned out to be a complete lie, which Maxis the developer confirmed was a lie. And it was an awful experience. Couldn't play for 4 days... slow and dropped connections. No thank you. In my opinion this is just more corporate BS talk by EA.

# 6 Dazraz @ 05/29/15 01:16 PM
Never been a fan of the series but any game forcing Online connections deserves a thumbs down. 👎

# 7 spidertour02 @ 05/29/15 01:42 PM
You guys should probably do your homework -- Need for Speed Rivals was a single-player game that was "always online," in that you shared a session with other players (depending on your settings). You could pretty much ignore the online component if you wanted to by joining a private session by yourself, by ignoring the other players (which was possible because of the size of the map), or by declining their competition requests. This could just be an extension of that on a slightly bigger scale.

# 8 asu666 @ 05/29/15 02:24 PM
If I can't play the game offline, then my interest falls off a cliff.

# 9 ps3veron @ 05/29/15 03:24 PM
Prerequisites even before we see any gameplay? Sheesh!

# 10 joet6683 @ 05/29/15 04:31 PM
Aren't most of you always connected? I set mine up, and they stay connected always. I feel I'm missing something if I have my console on and not connected to the internet, same with a PC. Numbers would indicate the majority of gamers do the same:

http://phoneia.com/90-of-the-u-s-ps4...d-to-internet/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/80-.../1100-6407537/

http://www.destructoid.com/higher-pe...s-170797.phtml

If it makes it a more lively world or easier to make changes to it or whatnot for the single player session, I don't see the problem.

# 11 luijo @ 05/29/15 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joet6683
Aren't most of you always connected? I set mine up, and they stay connected always. I feel I'm missing something if I have my console on and not connected to the internet, same with a PC. Numbers would indicate the majority of gamers do the same:

http://phoneia.com/90-of-the-u-s-ps4...d-to-internet/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/80-.../1100-6407537/

http://www.destructoid.com/higher-pe...s-170797.phtml

If it makes it a more lively world or easier to make changes to it or whatnot for the single player session, I don't see the problem.
Yes, but what happens when you are downloading an update and can't connect to the game ? or if the servers are down, because of maintenance or any problem ? Or if 2 years from now they decide to shut down the servers ?

This is a bad idea in general.

# 12 jpollack34 @ 05/29/15 07:07 PM
You'll be lucky if they keep the servers up for 2 years. They'll shut them down as soon as costs of keeping the servers up are deemed "not worth it anymore." At which time your game will be rendered completely useless.

# 13 jpollack34 @ 05/29/15 07:15 PM
EA's new business model they are trying to push is basically a disguised monthly subscription model. Charging essentially $5 a month. The way they are pushing it though is via the upfront game cost with an embedded online requirement. Turn off the servers after 1 year thereby forcing consumers to get the next iteration of the game, thereby ensuring that in the next cycle they continue to get their fees.

# 14 vito100 @ 05/30/15 06:06 PM
You have to be connected to Destiny at all times and that game is Highly Successful

# 15 seafoamgreen @ 05/30/15 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
You dont even really own the game then. More like a long term rental whenever they feel like cutting it off.
Anyone remember DIVX? That's the business model. Most people's video game systems are always online anyway so it won't go away unless people stop buying games that can't be played at all without server support.

# 16 PrettyT11 @ 06/01/15 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertour02
You guys should probably do your homework -- Need for Speed Rivals was a single-player game that was "always online," in that you shared a session with other players (depending on your settings). You could pretty much ignore the online component if you wanted to by joining a private session by yourself, by ignoring the other players (which was possible because of the size of the map), or by declining their competition requests. This could just be an extension of that on a slightly bigger scale.
The difference is that you could actually play rivals without being connected online. With this game from what they are saying you can't. That is a huge difference

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.