Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

This week’s episode is a deep dive into the modifications and improvements in this fall’s upcoming Madden NFL 16. Host Rich Grisham is joined by two of the leading designers of Madden’s Connected Franchise Mode, including Creative Director Kolbe Launchbaugh and Designer John White. The three discuss a host of additions and changes to CFM, including the updated goals framework, new scouting and draft options, updated commissioner tools, and a host of other items.

Enjoy!

Joining us this week:

Send us your feedback! We love to hear from you. Do it one of these ways:

1) Follow the show on Twitter at @PressRowPodcast and send us some Tweets while you’re there

2) Email the show at [email protected]

Also, the Press Row Podcast is now available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ow/id563624090, Stitcher Radio (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/oper...ss-row-podcast) , and the Windows Store, so subscribe to it and rate it too!
Lastly, check out our brand new compilation page on Audioboom at https://audioboom.com/channel/press-row-podcast, where all of our shows are easy to access from one page.

Run Time: 54 minutes

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Slyone14 @ 05/30/15 06:39 PM
Anyone heard anything if storylines for draft rookies are in the game?

# 42 oneamongthefence @ 05/30/15 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyColts2
I'm still flabbergasted. Instead of adding an in game ticker for scores and stats they add a goal ticker. I don't think anybody in the last 9 months has ever asked EA to put in a goal tracker at the bottom of the screen rather than a score tracker that we actually see on Sunday's. When's the last time we were watching a game on TV and at the bottom of the screen it said "marshawn lynch needs 34 more yards to achieve his goal of having 3 straight games with 100 yards rushing" ???
To be fair announcers do regularly bring up player personal milestones. Its those week to week stories that make the game intriguing to watch. When Demarco Murray had all those weeks of 100 yard games it was a fairly popular topic. On the other hand we should know the opponents goals and milestones they're trying to achieve so we can "game plan" for those scenarios where we know how our opponent likes to play or his tendencies. Also I think it could add a little more life to cfm since games have a connection week to week instead of each game being in it's own little bubble. Hopefully there's some commentary to go along with it to reflect the situations that come up.

# 43 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/30/15 07:53 PM
Quote:
To be fair I believe that is what stat banners are for. To be fair I believe that's what announcers are for. To be fair I believe Madden 16 is not going to have a milestone tracker, its a dynamic goal tracker. Which means they will tell you each drive to do something. One drive it will say "get your QB's confidence back up. Complete 3 consecutive passes." To be fair I don't think I've ever seen that before during an NFL broadcast. Sorry to direct this at you but I'm tired of seeing people defend these mediocre "improvements."
I just don't understand why people think this is a good thing to have during a live game. Maybe outside of the game and in the goals section in CFM. But to not have an actual score ticker really irritates me.
I agree with your position, though I am thinking that maybe EA/Tiburon is thinking that by creating in game goals to gain XP, that would help to divert players from using the same plays over and over again just to win; thus the name of the game is not just wining to excel, but to play a more diverse and real for of play calling game?

Or am I completely off the mark? Someone winning a game by running 01 Trap all day is hardly a football game...though, if this in game XP system is indeed meant to influence people to alter play calling, then I would fear that maybe game play, especially OL/DL interactions are not fixed well..

# 44 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/30/15 08:33 PM
Quote:
Not really. If you have a goal on a drive that says "Andrew Luck needs 3 straight completions to regain confidence" anybody that plays online head to head or doesn't restrict themselves to house rules would simply throw 3 straight screens and boom! Andrew's confidence is back to normal. "TY Hilton needs 3 catches to maintain confidence." *Throws 3 straight screens to TY* People won't shy away from their gameplay and nothing will stop cheesers from running their 3 money plays + 4 hot routes a play without any type of risk preventing them from doing it. If I don't complete the drive goal I don't lose XP or confidence. So why would I care to achieve it?
But as a player online, I would user the flat zone, usually to the offenses' right side...Easy pick....The best position for this particular game adjustment is to base all XP on these in game goals...

# 45 mestevo @ 05/30/15 08:38 PM
Quote:
Having dynamic goals doesn't do anything but apply a new mini-game for 12 year olds to have fun with.
Why is this comment necessary? You make some points here and there and then... that.

# 46 Skyboxer @ 05/30/15 08:43 PM
Quote:
Having dynamic goals doesn't do anything but apply a new mini-game for 12 year olds to have fun with.
So EA isn't suppose to (and I disagree that this addition just a "mini game" and for 12 year olds)
market their game to appeal to all demographics?
Of course they are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Why is this comment necessary? You make some points here and there and then... that.
Yep... agree.

# 47 The JareBear @ 05/30/15 09:07 PM
Indy, I agree with you that stat driven goals, and player progression/confidence based on stats is a slippery slope and really not that "sim," in my opinion. I wish I could turn that stuff off and just play football.

That being said, I'm sure no one in here wants "NFL street." I just think we all have different perceptions on EAs approach to hopefully delivering us a quality product with sim gameplay. I'm sure all of us would rather have insanely good gameplay all around than the "mini-games," but EA has decided they want to add RPG elements to their game and we are stuck with it for better or worse.

# 48 jpdavis82 @ 05/30/15 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
Indy, I agree with you that stat driven goals, and player progression/confidence based on stats is a slippery slope and really not that "sim," in my opinion. I wish I could turn that stuff off and just play football.

That being said, I'm sure no one in here wants "NFL street." I just think we all have different perceptions on EAs approach to hopefully delivering us a quality product with sim gameplay. I'm sure all of us would rather have insanely good gameplay all around than the "mini-games," but EA has decided they want to add RPG elements to their game and we are stuck with it for better or worse.
Xp feedback on screen is optional

# 49 The JareBear @ 05/30/15 09:16 PM
That's cool, I missed that

What I meant tho was I wish I could drop the whole XP/confidence system and just play it vanilla like the old days. If I recall, progression and regression in the old PS2 Maddens was fine

It's cool that you can turn off the ticker tho

# 50 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/30/15 09:18 PM
Quote:
So EA isn't supposed to make the game for mature people who want to play the game of football the way it is played in real life either? If you guys want an arcade game of football go play NFL Street. But don't come on here saying that dynamic drive goals are a realistic way of simulating the game of football. You people really amuse me
Are you a moderator? Then curb the trash talk and learn how to play madden, as it is presented, and know how to cover your zones...

Fact is, as I see it, madden makes people learn to play defense and read the offense, as we can agree, I believe, that defense is the hardest part of the game to play; when you learn to user the proper flat zones or MLB zone, you can excel, which is how I see EA/Tiburon wanting the game to go...

You actually have to know football to play madden, competitively...

# 51 howboutdat @ 05/30/15 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Xp feedback on screen is optional
His main point i do not believe is just about the ticker or on screen stuff, Its the entire XP as a whole system in online leagues really. It is the principal behind it that causes people to keep a check on those goals and thats a main point in each weeks game to them, Not about football knowledge, but about knowing the lack of responsiveness in the CPU AI , the weak spots if you will, and they exploit them to make sure they meet these goals and boost players unrealistically. Even in madden 15, without these extra bonus XPs, it was an issue.

In our league one of our better users , took a bum QB from like an 72 overall to a 91 in about 2 seasons. Mean while some users who dont know the game inside and out, and dont bother looking at goals but rather just trys to win off football knowledge , hada QB starting at 89 overall and is just a 91 in that same time period.... goals and XP for them, is a mess. Some learn the "tricks" and figure out ways to get an advantage from it. Its just the nature this system brings out in people. That is the problem. Im speaking about online leagues. Offline, have at it if you want. Online with 31 other guys , its not good.

# 52 The JareBear @ 05/30/15 09:45 PM
Another problem for online leagues is someone may be up 28-0 in the fourth and it was one of those turnover heavy games for the losing team so maybe the winning team doesn't have great stats on paper. What do they do? Do they keep throwing to get the stats and XP or do they play nice and just try to end the game swiftly.

# 53 Skyboxer @ 05/30/15 09:54 PM
Quote:
So EA isn't supposed to make the game for mature people who want to play the game of football the way it is played in real life either? If you guys want an arcade game of football go play NFL Street. But don't come on here saying that dynamic drive goals are a realistic way of simulating the game of football. You people really amuse me
Who said anything about anyone wanting an arcade game or that drive goals was a realistic way of simulating football???

Simply put..
EA is NOT going to make significant changes that alienate thier core audience, period.
Do we all at OS (well mostly) want a full on sim game> Of course we do.
That doesn't change the fact we will NEVER get that with Madden.

The condescending attitude doesn't help at all either.
Simply having a discussion...

# 54 mestevo @ 05/30/15 09:57 PM
Except they have worked on all of that, as stated in the podcast.

# 55 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/30/15 10:24 PM
Quote:
You are so wrong on so many levels it's insane. No I'm not a moderator and never want to be.

I know way more football than my friend that I play madden with. Just the other day he texted me asking what the letters for WR positions meant (X, R/H, Y, Z). Yet he beats me in madden using 46 defense packing 8 in the box to stop the run but playing zone across the board so that if I pass they all sprint to their zones without needing to take read steps because those aren't programmed into the game. If I run play action it's an automatic sack because he makes sure to rush 5 with 2 coming off the edge. He keeps a guy on the on each side in the "purple" zone to stop all curls and corners and users the LB play side to stop any flats or crossing routes. He doesn't need to know more football than me because the game doesn't need him to.

On offense he runs 4 plays. Bunch runs and crossing routes. He rolls out to the side they cross to with a mobile QB and if nobody is open he can gain 5 yards at least because defenders don't commit to scrambling QB's until they cross the LOS.

If YOU knew football then maybe you'd understand what I've been saying. But apparently you don't either.
You never played or watched football?

# 56 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/30/15 10:26 PM
Quote:
You are so wrong on so many levels it's insane. No I'm not a moderator and never want to be.

I know way more football than my friend that I play madden with. Just the other day he texted me asking what the letters for WR positions meant (X, R/H, Y, Z). Yet he beats me in madden using 46 defense packing 8 in the box to stop the run but playing zone across the board so that if I pass they all sprint to their zones without needing to take read steps because those aren't programmed into the game. If I run play action it's an automatic sack because he makes sure to rush 5 with 2 coming off the edge. He keeps a guy on the on each side in the "purple" zone to stop all curls and corners and users the LB play side to stop any flats or crossing routes. He doesn't need to know more football than me because the game doesn't need him to.

On offense he runs 4 plays. Bunch runs and crossing routes. He rolls out to the side they cross to with a mobile QB and if nobody is open he can gain 5 yards at least because defenders don't commit to scrambling QB's until they cross the LOS.

If YOU knew football then maybe you'd understand what I've been saying. But apparently you don't either.
So essentially you just admitted you have no clue and want the CPU to play for you...No thanks...I can beat a 46 all day..

# 57 jpdavis82 @ 05/30/15 10:42 PM
Quote:
That was me admitting I have no clue about football? Did you even read what I said before looking at the fact that I told you my friend has beaten me by cheesing??

No I don't want the CPU to play for me. Considering I can only control 1 player out of 11 at a time I would hope the 10 players I'm not controlling play to their ratings. I can "beat" 46 defense as well. I've beaten my friend plenty of times. You don't seem to comprehend well.

Football is not about which team can run the same plays over and over and hoping the other team doesn't stop you. Football is choosing a play based on multiple aspects:
Your Personnel
Your opponents personnel
Down and distance
Score
Team/Coach philosophy
Fatigue
Time
Hot/Cold streaks
Matchups

What football is NOT based on:
Choosing your favorite play and throwing to your favorite WR no matter what defense the other team is playing.

Do you know how many times I've played people who run PA Scissors on 3rd down because more often than not their past opponents run Man on 3rd down so the TE on the corner will most likely be open. So I show man while running zone and make sure I cover any Curl/Corner route to the strong side and they either throw me the ball or don't know what to do.

I would say play me in a game but you would probably just use the Seahawks so you won't have to play defense and then roll out with Russell and cheese all day. Then come back in here saying I don't know football because you beat me in madden. Winning in Madden is not a representation of football knowledge unless both players are playing that way. If you just run your money plays and you consider that being smart then go look up what a "money play" is. (Hint: It works way more than it doesn't..)
Guys, enough with the back and forth, you're going to get a warning from the mods, you know how this works, stay on topic.

# 58 CM Hooe @ 05/30/15 10:45 PM
This thread is veering very wildly off-course.

Let's turn discussion back to Madden NFL 16 Connected Franchise and the podcast, please. Thanks.

# 59 ggsimmonds @ 05/30/15 10:48 PM
In this recent discussion both sides bring up valid points (even though their approach is abrasive).

The goals system -- You would have to wait to see how exactly it is incorporated and what the goals are before any final judgements can be made. It may not be our idea of what constitutes "sim" but I would not call it arcadey. Coaches do approach the game with something close to this. They frequently call plays designed to get someone in a groove, how often do we see young QBs start a game with quick and easy completions?

Yes there is a chance that it could be used in a gamey way to rack up XP, but that is on the individual gamer.

For season goals, it is the same thing. The goals themselves are fine. Ty Hilton's receptions goals were cited earlier and I think those are good goals. Again, yes someone can game the system but that is on them.

I would prefer if the XP system was not in the game, but if it is, my only critique is that I think the point of regression should be dynamic. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly certain that if a player fails to meet his easy goals he loses XP, i.e. regresses. I think it should depend on his rating. Peyton's standards are different from Flacco's. A bad year for Peyton is not the same for Flacco. So add that to the game. If a guy is rated 90+ he should regress if he fails to reach his hard goals. Low 80s regress if they fail to reach medium goals and so forth.

# 60 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/30/15 10:49 PM
Quote:
That was me admitting I have no clue about football? Did you even read what I said before looking at the fact that I told you my friend has beaten me by cheesing??

No I don't want the CPU to play for me. Considering I can only control 1 player out of 11 at a time I would hope the 10 players I'm not controlling play to their ratings. I can "beat" 46 defense as well. I've beaten my friend plenty of times. You don't seem to comprehend well.

Football is not about which team can run the same plays over and over and hoping the other team doesn't stop you. Football is choosing a play based on multiple aspects:
Your Personnel
Your opponents personnel
Down and distance
Score
Team/Coach philosophy
Fatigue
Time
Hot/Cold streaks
Matchups

What football is NOT based on:
Choosing your favorite play and throwing to your favorite WR no matter what defense the other team is playing.

Do you know how many times I've played people who run PA Scissors on 3rd down because more often than not their past opponents run Man on 3rd down so the TE on the corner will most likely be open. So I show man while running zone and make sure I cover any Curl/Corner route to the strong side and they either throw me the ball or don't know what to do.

I would say play me in a game but you would probably just use the Seahawks so you won't have to play defense and then roll out with Russell and cheese all day. Then come back in here saying I don't know football because you beat me in madden. Winning in Madden is not a representation of football knowledge unless both players are playing that way. If you just run your money plays and you consider that being smart then go look up what a "money play" is. (Hint: It works way more than it doesn't..)
So you now admit you cannot cover scissors either..****nning money plays only work if the opponent refuses to adjust..I can shut down any play, even the notorious 01 Trap...

My reference to football was within the scope of Madden football..But even in real football, the 46 is obsolete cause it is weak..

See, you stated you hope your other players play to their ratings; but what is the play value of each players ratings? Do you know? Because I don't know..It is all subjective...So it doesn't matter...I can tell you how to defense anything without nano blitzes..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.