Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Spike Lee, acclaimed filmmaker and die-hard New York Knicks fan, is writing and directing the single-player MyCAREER mode for NBA 2K16.

Lee, who directed films such as "Do the Right Thing" and "He Got Game", said he was asked to work on the game this year, an offer which he accepted.

Quote:
"Lee said the game's story centers on a basketball player named Frequency Vibrations, whose personal exploits off the court are just as chaotic as the game on it.

"It's about the trials and tribulations of life on a big stage with the money, fame, temptations, family members, the press, fans, all that stuff," said Lee.

Lee is known for his gritty storytelling style, but that won't be an issue with NBA 2K16.

Quote:
"We make an E-rated game," said Thomas. "It's an NBA licensed project and obviously the NBA cares a lot about their brand and makes sure we stick within those boundaries. Spike understood that from the get-go, but he didn't take his foot off the gas because of that. He still brought the drama."

UPDATE: (via SimBaller, AKA Erick Boenisch - comment post #68)

Quote:
I hate to disappoint, but it's just a nickname people. You can take a deep breath.

YOUR (created or scanned) face is still front and center, and your own inserted name is in play here.

I know it's hard when it's all you have, but try not to jump to conclusions too much here. I think you guys will find this one highly enjoyable...

UPDATE #2: (via @Ronnie2K)

Quote:
Want to squash a piece of incorrect speculation: Players are able to create, name, customize & develop their #MyPLAYER in #NBA2K16 per usual.

What do you think about Spike Lee directing the MyCAREER story this year? What do you expect to see out of Frequency Vibrations' story this season?

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 DJ @ 06/04/15 07:21 PM
The potential of playing college games is very intriguing.

# 82 Wolf Ticket @ 06/04/15 07:30 PM
Euroleague (ala Brandon Jennings) is far more likely than college since 2k already have a business relationship with them.

# 83 Jrocc23 @ 06/04/15 07:42 PM
I think the story will be pretty cool especially if you're playing college games. But 2K15 script wasn't too bad. But I just hope we can make our own decisions and that can alter the story. So everyone doesn't have the same exact thing. And long as gameplay wise it isn't scripted like where I have to get hurt after a shot or I can't make a shot because a storyline is coming after that.

# 84 ASUBoy93 @ 06/04/15 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Ticket
Euroleague (ala Brandon Jennings) is far more likely than college since 2k already have a business relationship with them.
I think people hope too much when it comes to collegiate games. This is more than likely the path if you have to start as a high school standout. The current lawsuit with O'Bannon v NCAA is a big reason that 2k wouldn't even want to risk putting in college teams. Of course, I would be thrilled if somebody did.

# 85 redsoxfan31 @ 06/04/15 08:19 PM
Is the odd name a permanent one? You can't play as yourself in this year's rendition of the game?

# 86 VDusen04 @ 06/04/15 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan31
Is the odd name a permanent one? You can't play as yourself in this year's rendition of the game?
From 2K a few pages back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBaller
I hate to disappoint, but it's just a nickname people. You can take a deep breath.

YOUR (created or scanned) face is still front and center, and your own inserted name is in play here.

I know it's hard when it's all you have, but try not to jump to conclusions too much here. I think you guys will find this one highly enjoyable...

# 87 redsoxfan31 @ 06/04/15 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
From 2K a few pages back:
thanks! I am looking to get back into the 2K series this year and was hoping that wasn't the case

# 88 MoneyOvaHuds @ 06/04/15 08:57 PM
You guys do know 2k could make a fake college league

# 89 MoneyOvaHuds @ 06/04/15 09:01 PM

# 90 myathebee @ 06/04/15 09:02 PM
According to what I am reading..

We are playing a guy named ''Frequency Vibrations''....Uh....WTF???

Seriously what does that even mean? That's really his name?

# 91 ggsimmonds @ 06/04/15 09:05 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but would 2k need any sort of license to display current NBA players in their college jersey? They would need permission right?

What I am hopeful for is playing in college, but with completely made up players with no similarity to the current NCAA rosters.

# 92 Tunechid @ 06/04/15 09:13 PM
Look like you playing in highschool I will prolly keep making players over and over just to play in highschool. Hope they let you make your highschool like ea college football

# 93 Junior Moe @ 06/04/15 09:18 PM
I know I'm in the minority but this actually intrigues me and makes me more likely to play the mode. I'm not much into MyPlayer type modes because it's not me. Me playing in the NBA (or NFL) doesn't really interest me much, honestly. An entertaining, engaging, over the top "story" would be more fun to me. Kinda like a basketball RPG. I have MyLeague for my NBA sim fix. I want to see more!

# 94 jp7588 @ 06/04/15 09:26 PM
I'm intrigued. I don't really care about the mode so they could have the guy that did The Notebook write it and name the main character "Audible Trembling" and I wouldn't lose any sleep. I'll step into the mode for a bit to see what's crappenin. It'll either be a hilarious sideshow or Spike will make it interesting.

# 95 tbennett54 @ 06/04/15 09:35 PM
Hopefully we can have a college like league in mycareer

# 96 DJ @ 06/04/15 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I know I'm in the minority but this actually intrigues me and makes me more likely to play the mode. I'm not much into MyPlayer type modes because it's not me. Me playing in the NBA (or NFL) doesn't really interest me much, honestly. An entertaining, engaging, over the top "story" would be more fun to me. Kinda like a basketball RPG. I have MyLeague for my NBA sim fix. I want to see more!
I feel the same way. Never got into the MyPlayer-type modes but this could be fun. I will certainly check it out.

# 97 VDusen04 @ 06/04/15 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7588
I'm intrigued. I don't really care about the mode so they could have the guy that did The Notebook write it and name the main character "Audible Trembling" and I wouldn't lose any sleep. I'll step into the mode for a bit to see what's crappenin. It'll either be a hilarious sideshow or Spike will make it interesting.
You had me at Audible Trembling.

# 98 suh90beast @ 06/04/15 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
Me too, i never really got into my player modes in 2k or madden. Im a franchise type of guy. The last myplayer i made was in madden 07

# 99 ggsimmonds @ 06/04/15 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
I don't think 2k will pay the NCAA all of the money just to add college teens especially after that football player Payment scandal. it's the reason why there are no college games today aside from low sales
The lawsuit is completely irrelevant here. 2K could use the schools while making completely fictional players.

# 100 Tunechid @ 06/04/15 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Forgive my ignorance, but would 2k need any sort of license to display current NBA players in their college jersey? They would need permission right?

What I am hopeful for is playing in college, but with completely made up players with no similarity to the current NCAA rosters.
I believe you do need permission so we might see a couple colleges teams in the mode

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.