Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Spike Lee, acclaimed filmmaker and die-hard New York Knicks fan, is writing and directing the single-player MyCAREER mode for NBA 2K16.

Lee, who directed films such as "Do the Right Thing" and "He Got Game", said he was asked to work on the game this year, an offer which he accepted.

Quote:
"Lee said the game's story centers on a basketball player named Frequency Vibrations, whose personal exploits off the court are just as chaotic as the game on it.

"It's about the trials and tribulations of life on a big stage with the money, fame, temptations, family members, the press, fans, all that stuff," said Lee.

Lee is known for his gritty storytelling style, but that won't be an issue with NBA 2K16.

Quote:
"We make an E-rated game," said Thomas. "It's an NBA licensed project and obviously the NBA cares a lot about their brand and makes sure we stick within those boundaries. Spike understood that from the get-go, but he didn't take his foot off the gas because of that. He still brought the drama."

UPDATE: (via SimBaller, AKA Erick Boenisch - comment post #68)

Quote:
I hate to disappoint, but it's just a nickname people. You can take a deep breath.

YOUR (created or scanned) face is still front and center, and your own inserted name is in play here.

I know it's hard when it's all you have, but try not to jump to conclusions too much here. I think you guys will find this one highly enjoyable...

UPDATE #2: (via @Ronnie2K)

Quote:
Want to squash a piece of incorrect speculation: Players are able to create, name, customize & develop their #MyPLAYER in #NBA2K16 per usual.

What do you think about Spike Lee directing the MyCAREER story this year? What do you expect to see out of Frequency Vibrations' story this season?

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 coolcras7 @ 06/06/15 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I will say people from OS have been hired by the 2K team and are part of the process.
I am no way denying the influence that the member of OS have had development of sports games, but that does not negate fact that there are other voices demanding to be heard, and that every good request not incorporated into the game isn't done so because they are being ignored. People way too often feel that putting a feather in the game is as easy as them typing and posting it online.

# 142 suh90beast @ 06/06/15 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
I have not been very articulate in this thread and the majority of people did not understand my referencing AI. VDusen04 does a really good job of putting into words what I failed to do earlier.

I enjoy MC more than any mode because when I am controlling my character I feel it is more realistic than if I control someone else. What I direct Kobe to do under my control is my flawed perception of what I think he'd do and even though I've watched him his whole career and been a Laker fan for a long time, I can not pretend to be him.

2K really started out as a sim experience. The MP mode introduced in 2K10 was about immersing yourself into that sim experience. Over the next couple of years it expanded on that sim experience. Its biggest flaw was linking the career mode to online play.

Online play has its unique demands which conflict with a true career sim mode. In the career mode you want to develop over an entire career ... with online play you want to reach your peak immediately so that you can dominate online. These conflicting aspects should have been separated years ago - and the online MyPlayer could have been developed along the lines it currently has been; vc, standardized play, all the unique competition involving rec parks and street ball 3v3 games...

Career Mode - It could have developed along the lines of the Association modes with the main SIM emphasis being the individual instead of the team. It could have evolved with the experience starting from high school/college, through the draft and preseason all the way through post-career coaching/ownership. Sliders, rosters and customization could have been the bedrock that led not only to a better SIM experience in MC but within the Association experience as well.

One of the current supporters asks me why I can't just accept what is. My answer is because what could have been and should be is much greater and much better than what is. The mod gets further and further from the SIM experience focusing on the individual to the realization of someone else's idea of a basketball fantasy.
Beautiful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

# 143 Tunechid @ 06/07/15 01:43 AM
If you don't like the storyline type stuff go play nba live career mode that simple

# 144 Ward13 @ 06/07/15 02:15 AM
NBA 2K11 had the most authentic MyCareer mode to date

- Draft Combine
- NBA Draft
- Summer League
- Training Camp
- D-League (If Necessary)

Why can't 2K just re-implement the actual draft process in addition to whatever tweaks they have in mind to beef up the mode instead taking all these shortcuts? (Rookie Showcase, Forced storylines and Automatically going undrafted) I don't understand how we go from all that authenticity 4 years ago to " Frequency Vibrations" 4 years later LMAO

[emoji11][emoji100][emoji36][emoji58] Hi.

# 145 nova91 @ 06/07/15 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechid
If you don't like the storyline type stuff go play nba live career mode that simple
Now that you've said your piece, you can go away little man so the adults can finish talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward13

- Draft Combine
- NBA Draft
- Summer League
- Training Camp

Why can't 2K just re-implement the actual draft process in addition to whatever tweaks they have in mind to beef up the mode instead taking all these shortcuts? (Rookie Showcase, Forced storylines and Automatically going undrafted) I don't understand how we go from all that authenticity 4 years ago to " Frequency Vibrations" 4 years later LMAO

That's was another thing people wanted, the option to sim through/opt out summer league, the draft combine because they felt it was too long and some guys got stuck in the d-league, an increase OVR, because their guy was a 40-50 something running against guys that were 70-80 somethings, etc. Instead of improving them they just removed the features. I actually like the combine, summer league and d-league, my guy was drafted in the later round by a team that was set at my positions and going down to the d-league gave him some PT and added a bit of realism to the mode.

# 146 MrWrestling3 @ 06/07/15 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova91
That's was another thing people wanted, the option to sim through/opt out summer league, the draft combine because they felt it was too long and some guys got stuck in the d-league, an increase OVR, because their guy was a 40-50 something running against guys that were 70-80 somethings, etc. Instead of improving them they just removed the features. I actually like the combine, summer league and d-league, my guy was drafted in the later round by a team that was set at my positions and going down to the d-league gave him some PT and added a bit of realism to the mode.
Sadly, the biggest and most likely easiest improvement/fix for that system was just a little bump to your skills so that you were competetive instead of getting rolled by players way better than you....which is something they have done ANYWAY in almost every subsequent iteration of My Career.

At this point perhaps they should just bring that system back as a new take on "Creating a Legend" mode, and just leave it as on offline skill points only experience.

# 147 Sinner @ 06/07/15 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova91
Now that you've said your piece, you can go away little man so the adults can finish talking.

I also loved the combine, summer league and D-League...really wish they would bring them back....at least the combine and summer league. Doubt it would even be possible but wish there could be an option to have story mode or not.

If you chose not to have the stories you would just get the cut scenes with your agent when a decision needed to be made on endorsements and cut scene with gm to talk money or trades, cut scene with coaches to talk about playing time or things you need to improve on to help the team more.

# 148 kadzier @ 06/07/15 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward13

- Draft Combine
- NBA Draft
- Summer League
- Training Camp

AMEN. I remember thinking back then "wow in 5 years on next gen consoles imagine how deep and realistic this mode will be"

if only I knew how much they would strip away the realism and change it into a completely different mode

# 149 Sportsworth @ 06/07/15 10:45 AM
Who cares?... Its a sports game not a gritty telling of thug life the way Spike Lee likes to write things. This is a complete joke... Just make a basketball game about basketball...keep spike Lee away, the guy is a joke and a Knicks fan on top of it.

# 150 midwestking100 @ 06/07/15 11:56 AM
Since spike lee is a part of nba 2k16 i was wondering does this meanl 2k will have the madison square garden license for both current and classics knicks teams?

# 151 NHL Kid13 @ 06/07/15 11:57 AM
I just want to give you guys a perspective from a new NBA2K fan. The story mode is the reason this game has gotten so big. You guys might have not noticed but the fanbase of this game has grown incredibly in the past few years and it's largely based on the (what I find to be) most amazing career mode in any sports game on the market.

It actually blows me away that so many of you hate this mode and where it's going, because the reaction from every non-OS person I've talked to or met, have ranted and raved about how great the mode is. If you venture off into any other sport games forums, you'll see that they all want one thing for their career modes, and that's to emulate what 2K did with it. They basically reinvented the wheel when it comes to how a career mode is played and it's worked amazingly. From the cutscenes to the storylines, it's all so new and fresh from what has been done in other games.

So while most of you might hate where this mode is going, I can tell you that there are probably a hundred times more people who are happier with this direction and are looking forward to an even more in depth story. Myself included.

# 152 sleepyshotta @ 06/07/15 12:04 PM
Can I give Spike high fives when I'm killing in MSG?

Youtube.com/sleepynate718
Twitter.com/ryanjnate

# 153 Clappington @ 06/07/15 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Kid13
I just want to give you guys a perspective from a new NBA2K fan. The story mode is the reason this game has gotten so big. You guys might have not noticed but the fanbase of this game has grown incredibly in the past few years and it's largely based on the (what I find to be) most amazing career mode in any sports game on the market.

It actually blows me away that so many of you hate this mode and where it's going, because the reaction from every non-OS person I've talked to or met, have ranted and raved about how great the mode is. If you venture off into any other sport games forums, you'll see that they all want one thing for their career modes, and that's to emulate what 2K did with it. They basically reinvented the wheel when it comes to how a career mode is played and it's worked amazingly. From the cutscenes to the storylines, it's all so new and fresh from what has been done in other games.

So while most of you might hate where this mode is going, I can tell you that there are probably a hundred times more people who are happier with this direction and are looking forward to an even more in depth story. Myself included.
This is what I've been trying to say lol I love the direction this mode is going, I've played all mycareer modes in 2k even 24/7 mode but this story mode stuff takes it to a new level. but of course on here most people wouldn't like it so I can understand their points but I have to kindly disagree with them this storyline stuff can be cheesey but its something new something no one else is really doing and I respect 2k for that, I'm not going to compare their storymode to GTA story mode because that would be very unfair people have to understand that.

# 154 nova91 @ 06/07/15 01:02 PM
I'm sorry but the story mode is NOT the reason. 2K had been growing steadily prior to it and MP/MC was the most played mode well before the story mode was introduced.

# 155 VDusen04 @ 06/07/15 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Kid13

I think we could probably go back and forth all day in this regard. As in, while your non-OS friends and acquaintances have ranted and raved about how great the story mode is, my non-OS friends have been on the complete opposite side of the spectrum.

Almost universally, all of my acquaintances with which I've discussed the storyline with or have experienced it firsthand find it corny, unrealistic, and in many cases, laughable (particularly in the case of the voice acting and dialogue).

Moreover, even amongst the sports series for which I do not purchase (EA's NHL, for instance), the last thing that'd reel me in would be an artificial storyline where my created hockey player would speak with an overly embellished, stereotypical Canadian accent while being forced through an awful & singular career storyline. To suggest every other sports game forum is looking to precisely replicate 2K's corny & singular storyline to a T may be a bit misguided, for that is not what I have seen.

That said, I do believe there's something to be said about the popularity of game aspects that may be a departure from its simulation roots while perhaps sacrificing what one would deem to be "quality".

Virtual Currency, seven-foot created players vying for superiority in fictional parks, the corny MyPlayer storyline... I think many of those things could be argued to be in contrast with NBA 2K's initial mission ("Basketball's #1 simulation"). However, it's a situation of "What sells, sells". 2K, afterall, is a business and to a large degree, it's going to be about how to maximize profits. If I had to guess, the artists who literally make the game (programmers, designers, etc.) have likely objected to a number of the direction changes made in recent years.

Just as few would argue for the artistic quality of the "Fast and Furious" series, there's no denying those movies have been wildly profitable nonetheless. Similarly, in the case of Virtual Currency or awful storylines, they could lead to an uptick in profitability, but that's not always in direct correlation to quality.

EDIT: All that said, it's unclear exactly's shaking out in 2K16, so this was more in reference to previous iterations.

# 156 Roger_Black @ 06/07/15 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsworth
Who cares?... Its a sports game not a gritty telling of thug life the way Spike Lee likes to write things. This is a complete joke... Just make a basketball game about basketball...keep spike Lee away, the guy is a joke and a Knicks fan on top of it.
Wait a sec…

Spike has made over 45+ feature films & documentaries (and counting).

But only 1 movie of his even had ANY characters that could even be considered ’thugs’ in it. (And that was a movie called ‘Clockers’ that he made 20 years ago, which had NOTHING to do with any sports)

Spike has Written, Directed, or Produced quite a few SPORTS-RELATED projects, which include:

- Hoop Dreams
- He Got Game
- Kobe: Doing Work
- Love & Basketball
- Jim Brown: All-American
- Michael Jordan / Nike TV Commercials
- When We Were Kings (Muhammad Ali Documentary)
- Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks

Are these tv commercials, films & documentaries about Michael Jordan, Kobe & Reggie Miller…. the “gritty telling of thug life” you are referring to?

Is this your concept of ‘thug life’?
Really?

# 157 coolcras7 @ 06/07/15 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsworth
Pleas keep your narrow minded views to yourself.

# 158 testudoaubreii @ 06/07/15 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
People are upset over the name pretty much since there is no other info(I'm laughing myself) but I think they'll calm down. My biggest issue as some others have said is the fact they are year by year taking away what mycareer/myplayer was at its core. I think the best solution would be to have a purely story mode like this and a separate mode that is essentially NBA 2k11's MyPlayer.

I do like the idea of a documentary style mode where you start from highschool though for a story down the road.

The bolded section of your comment is something I have been hoping for since 2K11.

# 159 rbfn04 @ 06/07/15 07:45 PM
People really rather have the old "play game after game after game while nothing else happens" MyCareer over having some kind of story?

# 160 NHL Kid13 @ 06/07/15 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfn04
People really rather have the old "play game after game after game while nothing else happens" MyCareer over having some kind of story?
Yeah I honestly don't understand how someone would want the mode to be stripped down to bare bones boredom. You can only play so much until you get bored of the game and it becomes stale. Even in my second season I look forward to new cutscenes and dialogues that makes me want to play the game more.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.