Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Shopmaster has posted his Madden NFL 16 CFM impressions based off of his hands-on time with the game. In the article he talks about confidence, regression, dynamic drive goals, new hub and much more.

Shop plans on releasing another article on Tuesday discussing the new scouting and draft.

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Skyboxer @ 06/08/15 12:47 PM
All this talk about XP/Confidence etc.. (RPG this and that)... really is just another smoke and mirror aspects of Madden.
Sometimes I wonder if EA does this on purpose to keep the full feedback process away from totally discussing gameplay.
At the end of the day all these things (just like ratings) are simply parts of a recipe that is at it's core, inherently flawed.

Until EA get basic football strategy in the game with major AI improvements then we're simply going on and on about things that in the end, really has little if any importance to the FB experience with the current state of the game.

With that said I really really hope ratings got an overhaul this year and more have become important.

# 102 brandon27 @ 06/08/15 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
A usage question (and only a usage question) - do people here focus their XP spending on SPD / ACC in CFM?

Personally, I find this incredibly inefficient. Using the WR example, I'd rather upgrade his CTH / CIT / RRT / SPC / AWR ratings. The way EA has balanced the game, one can increase these ratings by more total points than if one just focuses on SPD / ACC. If I spend my XP on SPD / ACC instead, I'm not maximizing the value of that XP spent and not improving that player as much as I potentially could otherwise.

My thoughts exactly. I typically will invest it in the traits that effect the player most at his position.

The only time I'm ever working on a speed type attribute is if I really blew it in scouting and drafted a slow RB or something like that.

Like you said, it's just too cost prohibitive when there's position specific attributes that have more value.

# 103 SolidSquid @ 06/08/15 12:50 PM
Quote:
A usage question (and only a usage question) - do people here focus their XP spending on SPD / ACC in CFM?

Personally, I find this incredibly inefficient. Using the WR example, I'd rather upgrade his CTH / CIT / RRT / SPC / AWR ratings. The way EA has balanced the game, one can increase these ratings by more total points than if one just focuses on SPD / ACC, and by a significant margin. If I spend my XP on SPD / ACC instead, I'm not maximizing the value of that XP spent and not improving that player as much as I potentially could otherwise.

If I want a more athletic player, more often than not I have to draft him, not build him.
Agreed and I don't do it either but I'm a single player who plays exclusively against the cpu. The problem arises in online leagues where it's not just speed and acceleration that are upgraded. Also it's not efficient but it's also very unrealistic. Getting 100 tackles with 2 of your LBs doesn't mean next season those guys should have increased zone coverage, likewise getting a lot of ints with you secondary doesn't mean they should become the hardest hitting secondary in the league and force a ton of fumbles. XP is extremely unbalanced.

# 104 bad_philanthropy @ 06/08/15 12:50 PM
XP shouldn't even apply to physical attributes. I'd like to see it for football attributes only, and physical attributes progress or regress through a non-user controlled method.

# 105 msdm27 @ 06/08/15 01:07 PM
Too many pages went by to quote you, bucky60.... but to the point of giving ratings to coaches and then automating tasks.

I agree, that sounds pretty dope and like a sound solution, BUT...

A year from the implementation, we'd be discussing why coaches' ratings are static and how they should be dynamic... maybe we could send our tight end coach to a seminar to make him improve his teaching skills thus making my tight end better.

It goes back to my "endless loop" point.

Even if a system/method is found to make coaches ratings fluctuate...what's stopping users from just signing all the better coaches? You could say: a limited budget.
But that's not realistic either, there's a plethora of factors that go into why coaches/coordinators choose their teams but money is usually not the top reason (likely pretty much the same from all suitors).

I'm not trying to be anthagonistic... just trying to discuss a new way of doing things in Madden

As some others have stated, the most plausbible solution might be to limit XP usage to non-physical attributes.

# 106 jfsolo @ 06/08/15 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
The problem I see here though, this is the system we used to have in Madden. Then people complained it wasn't good enough for whatever reasons they thought. People complained they wanted control over it, rather than the CPU just being "random" about it.

Personally, I don't have an issue with the system as it is. I play the game as if the XP doesn't exist in game. I call my plays as if I would as the coach. I throw to the open guy based on the read I made, not based on who needs a number of catches in a game, or drive or whatever to hit a goal.

Then you take your XP, weekly, bi-weekly, whatever... for me it's every 4 weeks, and I apply it in the area's I want my players to improve as if I was serving the coach/GM role. So, if my WR's have poor hands... as a coach, I'd be putting them on the jugs machines daily to work on their catching, so... I'd dump my XP into them there. If they were poor route runners, and not able to get open, well, now as a coach, I'd be working on the release techniques, their route running etc.. So that's where my XP would go.

Now, to me, that system works great. My guys get whatever they get by the way I play the game. I'm an offline player, so it's easy for me. I can understand though where it's an issue for online guys, because I'm sure there's guys in leagues that are just taking advantage of the system. However, with the trend shifting towards everything online, that's where the problem lies IMO. That's another rant for another day though.

While the XP system works for me, because of how I choose to play within it, and use it. I completely understand why you'd want to base it on Fifa types, with potential, and age, etc, etc, etc. However... the big drawback there, if someone at EA decides that DeVante Parker, the rookie WR for Miami gets only a B potential, and will be maxed at an 80 OVR, then I've got, and many others have a big problem with that. Because, lets say I put up back to back to back 100 catch, 1200 yard, 12 TD seasons with the WR... he's clearly filling a superstar role on my team, yet the system is prohibiting him from his ratings advancing. To me, that's an issue.

Bottom line is, nobody is every going to be happy with it.
I basically agree 1000% with everything you've said here. I totally understand people not liking the current system, but it's strange to me that people sabotage their own experience by adopting a meta playstyle.

# 107 jfsolo @ 06/08/15 01:26 PM
Quote:

Personally, I find this incredibly inefficient. Using the WR example, I'd rather upgrade his CTH / CIT / RRT / SPC / AWR ratings. The way EA has balanced the game, one can increase these ratings by more total points than if one just focuses on SPD / ACC, and by a significant margin. If I spend my XP on SPD / ACC instead, I'm not maximizing the value of that XP spent and not improving that player as much as I potentially could otherwise.

If I want a more athletic player, more often than not I have to draft him, not build him.
I play the way you play. Maybe in User v User games speed is still the only thing that matters, but for me in my CFM, Play Recognition, Awareness and skill development are much more important.

# 108 msdm27 @ 06/08/15 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I see this as a good thing. More depth and not an endless loop. The endless loop I see is EA/Tib is on their second or third interpretation of scouting and XP/Goals. Instead of adding depth, they're redoing existing features.

I would say a better, more in depth financial model. Some games, like that PS4 baseball game, has things other than salary built into FA signings. The same depth could be done for coaches. And a progression system could be created for coaches as well. Other sports games have done it.

And I haven't taken you as being antagonistic. I see what we are having as a respectful dialogue. I respect your opinions. I might not agree with all of them. I guess that's what forums are for.
I generally agree with all your suggestions in the last few pages, as I'm actually more interested in CFM for the management/game prep/progression aspect rather than the games. That's where the thrill is imo (building your team)

I just don't think it's realistic for us to hope EA would deviate so much from what they've invested so much in (make things easier, not deeper)... that's why I'm trying to come up with solutions bound by realism (inability to improve SPD/ACC) but that still fall within the realm of XP earned via gameplay.

Some of the in-depth suggestions we're discussing seem more realistic for text-based games. Even the undisclosed baseball game that implements some of the things we discuss, utilizes a simplistic... here's your scout --- press X to train Z ---- See results.

BTW... the financial system in said baseball game is actually very flawed... one bad season and the Yankeezzz all of the sudden have no budget at all, for example. And I think we've seen how Madden's implementation of finances work out

In addition to ratings for coaches or players, a real randomization algorythm (untied from ratings --- basically accounting for work ethic, I guess) would have to be in place to determine if and how much players progress or coaches have effect on players. And we, as players would have to be ok with such randomized events.

I know I'd be, but I doubt the majority would

# 109 jpdavis82 @ 06/08/15 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
Thanks for answering questions JP. I've got a couple on the things that Shop touched on.

1. Is it still possible to see a spread sheet view of ratings for multiple players somewhere? The Visual depth chart looks nice but when I'm comparing players to make decisions on my depth chart or which free agents to add I need to be able to see their ratings next to each other. Thats something that the MUT visual DCs lack and would be a major disappointment for me if I couldn't do that in CFM anymore.
Also is there still a spread sheet view of player contracts? Sorting by cap penalty or freed up funds was the best way to make tough salary cap decisions in my opinion.

2. If I understood one of your replies correctly then its great news that Confidence resets for all players to 50 after each season. I was hoping for a bit of moderation like a max of 66 and min of 33 to start a season but 50 sounds good too. My question about Confidence then is do players that you resign after the season still lose Confidence because they suddenly "don't know the playbook" anymore?

3. When creating coaches is there anyway to assign a new coach a specific rank or packages? Two problems in online CFMs this year were generally poor teams stayed bad because of the Confidence hole that they couldn't crawl out of and that new coaches that enter the league a season or two after the CFM began were at a significant disadvantage because of their coaching level and lack of packages. This has lead to a lot of players who joined our league late just quitting after a while because they felt they couldn't catch up.

4. It looks like the Twitter feed and Stories were completely scrapped based on the New CFM Hub screenshots. Is this true?

5. Is there a way to see all the players who are on the Trade Block? This is shown as an option on the player card but I don't see anywhere that just shows all the players around the league who are on the block.

6. Is there a slider for XP and Confidence so commissioners can adjust how much XP and Confidence is given out? There are so many varying opinions on how fastor slow players should progress/regress. By adding a slider for it EA could make everyone happy by allowing them to set the progression rates on their own.

7. This is a draft question so it will have to wait but please confirm whether we finally have a customizable draft board/player rankings again. And whether the CPU will draft based on your customized board if you can't make the online draft.
They are still working on a lot of this stuff so I can't give definitive answers except for #4. The stories and twitter feed is still there it's just under a news tile, that way the main menus aren't bogged down by it every time you want to navigate the menus like they had been. Oh just saw this one, yes you can view the trade block, there's 3 screens on the main hub if that makes sense, the third one is where news and roster, settings are. The first two are the home screen and the depth chart screens. Actually the trade block may be on the first screen, I'm thinking it is, I know scouting is.

# 110 The JareBear @ 06/08/15 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
XP shouldn't even apply to physical attributes. I'd like to see it for football attributes only, and physical attributes progress or regress through a non-user controlled method.
Best idea I have read in awhile, makes absolute sense.

Would LOVE for this to be implemented.

# 111 The JareBear @ 06/08/15 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Football is completely subjective in how it should be modeled from the real thing. Whether you like the xp system or not I find it pretty funny some of you guys keep saying that NFL players don't have individual goals. Of course they ALL do w some being more selfish and vocal about it than others. And sure, maybe EA isn't getting it exactly right but the fact that they're trying to make the game go in that direction to me is a great idea, the game should have more of an RPG feel for long term game modes.

And yet I see some folks saying you can either have RPG or have realism?? Uh RPG is realism. RPG stands for role playing and when you are playing any game for the long haul you are playing some role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right, it is definitely subjective.

One thing I personally try to say, pretty often at least, when I post in this forum is that I don't think anyone is wrong or that I am right, I just think there are a lot of different ideas on how to achieve the same thing (sim football).

In the old PS2/Xbox games there was long-term team/player development/management, without this XP system. I don't recall anything really being that wrong with it. I am not sure why we can't choose which one we want.

Give the gamers options.

That picture of Bortles in the OP, I am sorry, that kinda bums me out. That just looks kind of silly to me and kills immersion. Now, I KNOW the ticker/overlays can be turned off, but the bottom line is it doesn't change the fact that I know what is going on under the hood. I would much rather play an old school vanilla Franchise Mode than this RPG enhanced CFM mode, just me personally.

I have said this a few times, but, I do see why EA is incorporating the RPG elements into player development. I understand it can create attachment to your roster, encourage repeat playing and long-term playing of CFM mode. I definitely am not trying to hate on their vision. I think their goal is a rich, fully realized, franchise mode that is half great gameplay and half micro-managing your roster. I think that is a good goal.

I think this approach, as currently presented, based on what I have read and seen, is a little too "gamey" to me. This is Football, not Final Fantasy XV.

I am reserving real judgment for when I actually play the game. Overall I am very excited. More excited than I have been in awhile, but I have to admit that the subject of this thread, the information revealed here, doesn't really do it for me, and that's ok. I am not right, or wrong, it's just my personal preference.

I also understand that the RPG elements in CFM mode are here to stay, it sounds like this is something they really wanted to do and are very behind. That's cool. There are tactful/subtle ways of doing it though, I don't think it needs to be something thrown in your face every game or every season week in CFM.

Just my two cents.

Basically, TL;DR version of this post:

At what point are no longer playing football? What happened to just playing ball? Extra nuances and extra game mechanics are awesome but at what point is the "video game" aspect overlapping and drowning the "simulation football immersion" aspect

EDIT:

Goals are subjective too, ODogg.

To me, a rookie season of 40 catches for a WR/TE is pretty decent. Someone else might say no that's not enough. Who is right?

# 112 shep2837 @ 06/08/15 02:05 PM
Have they made any changes to the relocation teams?

# 113 4thQtrStre5S @ 06/08/15 02:42 PM
Quote:

I like your view - I have witnessed that speed is not much of a factor when testing 40 times in practice mode between someone who is 95 or 80 speed, for example, but I have seen that CIT matters a lot because, IMO, EA/Tiburon uses the big hit to adjust completion percentages; as there will not be as many bad throws as much as passes dropped due to big hits..Or am I not seeing this correctly?

# 114 Dj_MyTime @ 06/08/15 04:21 PM
Simple answer tier the progression with caps, and make users buy the next tier to progress the player.

So as an example, player ''x'' is a 70 ovr ''Slow Development player. You can either keep this player as quality depth, roster filler, or if this is the player you want top break out ''you have to put in the work'' as follows.

As a slow development player for example cap all position related attributes at (70, for sake of explanation). If a user wants to open up the next tier they HAVE to buy "Normal Development'' which allows a attribute Cap of 80.

If you want to continue to build player ''x'' you purchase the quick package (Cap at 89), and eventually Star (cap at 99).

So essentially even if XP is fairly easy to gain you can't just apply it all to the attributes, you have to unlock them by opening up player ''x's'' development tiers. And the cost of those should increase accordingly.

Slow - Base (no cost)
Normal - 10K, XP
Quick - 20K XP
Star - 40K XP

So obviously players in the game already will start off in varied spots, and the same for rookies. But this way a good chunk of XP has to be spent just to open up the next tier instead of automatically being eligible to be applied to position specific attributes.

That should help slow down progression so that good users in CFM aren't basically at 99 across the board in attributes by Season 3.

# 115 Danish ram @ 06/08/15 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_MyTime
Simple answer tier the progression with caps, and make users buy the next tier to progress the player.

So as an example, player ''x'' is a 70 ovr ''Slow Development player. You can either keep this player as quality depth, roster filler, or if this is the player you want top break out ''you have to put in the work'' as follows.

As a slow development player for example cap all position related attributes at (70, for sake of explanation). If a user wants to open up the next tier they HAVE to buy "Normal Development'' which allows a attribute Cap of 80.

If you want to continue to build player ''x'' you purchase the quick package (Cap at 89), and eventually Star (cap at 99).

So essentially even if XP is fairly easy to gain you can't just apply it all to the attributes, you have to unlock them by opening up player ''x's'' development tiers. And the cost of those should increase accordingly.

Slow - Base (no cost)
Normal - 10K, XP
Quick - 20K XP
Star - 40K XP

So obviously players in the game already will start off in varied spots, and the same for rookies. But this way a good chunk of XP has to be spent just to open up the next tier instead of automatically being eligible to be applied to position specific attributes.

That should help slow down progression so that good users in CFM aren't basically at 99 across the board in attributes by Season 3.

Why would you want a system that let's you upgrade talent?
You can't train talent level, you can however like seattle has done, use players with a certain skill set in a new setting, and make them play better than their ratings.
Progression should be about staff, game grades and talent
I will say it again, look at fifa, with a progression system far more balanced and sim than madden. Is it perfect no, but it is a great platform to build upon

# 116 l8knight1 @ 06/08/15 05:00 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed, but found a combine screen?

# 117 Danish ram @ 06/08/15 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8knight1

Now show me a screenshot of my personal draftboard and tell me about a new solid cpu draft Logic please

# 118 jpdavis82 @ 06/08/15 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8knight1

So once you advance past that screen it shows you the combine results, there's no actual combine that you can participate in this year.

# 119 oneamongthefence @ 06/08/15 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
So once you advance past that screen it shows you the combine results, there's no actual combine that you can participate in this year.
This feature while nice reeks of "we added it now get off our backs about it" its just 6 drills. It's just another menu to display information. There's no frills or presentation to it.

# 120 CM Hooe @ 06/08/15 11:45 PM
It'd be cool to run some players through position-specific drills at the combine in a future version of Madden. Like take a QB through some passing drills, or a WR catching passes from a camp arm, etc.

I don't particularly want the 40-yard-dash or bench press mini-games back, though.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.