Home
NHL 16 News Post

NHL 16 Producer Sean Ramjagsingh has just confirmed that you can edit players in NHL 16.

Quote:
In NHL 16, you will have the ability to edit players from all 10 professional hockey leagues featured in-game. From there you can edit a players General Information, Appearance, Equipment, or Attributes. This feature is available in the NHL 16 main menu, Be a GM, Season and Playoff mode.

Read the entire message here.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 AdamJones113 @ 09/08/15 06:43 PM
I'm pretty sure those are all old, old legacy issues. That's disheartening. I saw from xTech on Twitter (he went and has the game early) that morale gets repetitive very early on. Hope that's not true.

# 102 bad_philanthropy @ 09/08/15 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
I'm pretty sure those are all old, old legacy issues. That's disheartening. I saw from xTech on Twitter (he went and has the game early) that morale gets repetitive very early on. Hope that's not true.
Yeah, the CAP glitch was in last year, but it wasn't gen 3. The gen 3 one was caps would carry over between roster updates but would get dumped into the FA pool. If they can't fix it, please give us the ability to delete caps then. There has always been some variety of shenanigans with editing and creating players and the listing of their draft position on the player card.

I have the feeling morale will get old fast. It just reminds me of the xp system in Madden which I just found to be a chore. It's nice to have an extra variable in team management in GM mode, but clicking through menus and text prompts after every couple of games is just not innovative in this era of game design.

EDIT: And with respect to the points I just discussed look at this exchange I had with Rammer here last year, and particularly note his response.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...9&postcount=27

Quote:
What was the reason Madden and FIFA were able to port non-gameplay offline mode features to gen 4 and NHL wasn't? I understand M25 and FIFA were sort of "cross-gen" games, but what made NHL the exception in the inability to port functioning offline GM and BaP modes as a holdover before a more robust experience could be implemented in future iterations?

I can understand the technical problems of implementing EASHL into new tech, and getting up to 12 users playing at once, but why did the offline modes take such a hit as well? Additionally, such standard features in sports games like player editing.
Quote:
We had a very legacy codebase which made it difficult to add new game modes features. A big part of rebuilding the offline modes that made it into 15 was rebuilding the code base so that we are set up to build bigger and better features on this generation in a more efficient manner because of a better technical base. (apologies for the run on sentence)

-rammer

# 103 AdamJones113 @ 09/08/15 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Yeah, the CAP glitch was in last year, but it wasn't gen 3. The gen 3 one was caps would carry over between roster updates but would get dumped into the FA pool. If they can't fix it, please give us the ability to delete caps then. There has always been some variety of shenanigans with editing and creating players and the listing of their draft position on the player card.

I have the feeling morale will get old fast. It just reminds me of the xp system in Madden which I just found to be a chore. It's nice to have an extra variable in team management in GM mode, but clicking through menus and text prompts after every couple of games is just not innovative in this era of game design.
Right, yeah, that was the issue on gen-3. From FA to duplicates, it is, as you say, a problem.

I think it's smart to hold off on the ecstatic celebrations about morale. I wanted a GM overhaul as much (if not more than) the next OSer, but this NEEDS to be right. This system won't be in place just this year, it's here to stay. If it's predictable and mindless (exactly what it's trying to avoid), then that's a huge fail. If it's a huge fail, you can expect a huge packet just about Be A GM mode from me.

# 104 bad_philanthropy @ 09/08/15 07:09 PM
In the future I'd just like them to judiciously select a handful of users to beta the mode. Due respect to the testers, they have an expertise and I'm sure are great at finding hard crashes, and stuff relating to function, but let some NHL GM enthusiasts find these smaller bugs that snowball and amount to larger quality problems with the mode.

# 105 T5063 @ 09/08/15 07:20 PM
Quote:
Just a heads up on some small issues with editing and Be a GM day one outlined by YewyBear:

-CAPs, if edited, just duplicate the CAP with edits in place (user in video ended up with two Dylan Larkin's)
-any edited players' draft history gets set to first overall. In other words, every player you edit ends up having their draft position listed as first overall in their year.
-auto rotate goalies doesn't work is assistant coach edit lines is set to off

CAP thing is a must fix. Other things are small, but I'd like them sorted.
Is that including any equipment edits?

# 106 bad_philanthropy @ 09/08/15 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T5063
Is that including any equipment edits?
Don't know. You can contact YewyBear and maybe he'll check it out for you.

# 107 AdamJones113 @ 09/08/15 07:45 PM
Quote:
In the future I'd just like them to judiciously select a handful of users to beta the mode. Due respect to the testers, they have an expertise and I'm sure are great at finding hard crashes, and stuff relating to function, but let some NHL GM enthusiasts find these smaller bugs that snowball and amount to larger quality problems with the mode.
I'd like that too, but we have to agree that it's highly unlikely. EA flew YouTubers in, which kills two birds with one stone: if they catch a bug, good, but it's all about promoting the game.

I guess we'll see on the 10th/15th

# 108 Samz555 @ 09/08/15 07:47 PM
For all the editing guys out there including myself! In a Yewybear GM video, when you edit a player there draft position changes to 1st overall but with they're proper year! Hopefully it's fixed before release on in the first patch!

# 109 bad_philanthropy @ 09/08/15 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz555
For all the editing guys out there including myself! In a Yewybear GM video, when you edit a player there draft position changes to 1st overall but with they're proper year! Hopefully it's fixed before release on in the first patch!
Just make sure to tweet the EA NHL twitter or Rammer. Don't expect a response, but if you do it in a polite and respectful manner it might get the information into the dev team's sphere.

# 110 actionhank @ 09/08/15 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
Right, yeah, that was the issue on gen-3. From FA to duplicates, it is, as you say, a problem.

I think it's smart to hold off on the ecstatic celebrations about morale. I wanted a GM overhaul as much (if not more than) the next OSer, but this NEEDS to be right. This system won't be in place just this year, it's here to stay. If it's predictable and mindless (exactly what it's trying to avoid), then that's a huge fail. If it's a huge fail, you can expect a huge packet just about Be A GM mode from me.
My worry is EA's track record of good ideas with poor execution. The idea that hitting a guy could sometimes lead to fights turned into any hit leading to a fight that you couldn't escape.
The physics based hit engine went from some big hits to every single hit was bone crushing.
Dumped pucks that were apparently too easy to pick up started bouncing to the top of the glass.
Players getting injured blocking shots turned into losing a guy per game for both teams.
And I think the final one I can remember, missing a check and hitting the boards could hurt you...turned into any missed check be nearly fatal.

EA has never had a problem coming up with good ideas...they've just always seemed to struggle with them not becoming a cartoon representation of themselves. It's like Wiley Coyote did the programming and thought everything looked too plain.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.