Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Penalties have long not been a big part of the Madden NFL experience. This year, EA is hoping to change that legacy, which you can read fully fleshed out on their new blog:

Quote:
"Our hardcore simulation fans have been demanding realistic penalties for years. The team finally made this a point of emphasis in Madden NFL 16, and penalties will play a bigger factor than ever before.

In addition to several new penalties being added, we have updated all pre-existing penalties and built a system to control penalty frequency."

What This Means: Every player is going to get a penalty trait based on real-world NFL data, which will determine how likely they are to commit a penalty. Also, how you play the game will determine how many penalties are called as well. A pressing cornerback is used as an example, where your chances of seeing a defensive holding penalty are higher than if he is playing loose.

The penalty sliders also are getting a makeover, with the default setting based on NFL penalty averages over the last five seasons, which will make penalty type and frequency as authentic as possible, so EA says.

Penalties which got the updated treatment include: Encroachment, False Start, Offensive Holding, Facemask, Defensive Pass Interference, Illegal Block in the Back, Neutral Zone Infraction, Defensive Holding, Illegal Forward Pass, Illegal Touching, Delay of Game, Kick Catch Interference Running into the Kicker, Unnecessary Roughness and Roughing the Passer.

What do you think of the potentially improved penalties?

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 asu666 @ 06/15/15 06:47 PM
I hope it works as advertised. Half of the penalty types never occurred in the past and the other half rarely occurred, which destroys the simulation aspect of the game.

# 22 PVarck31 @ 06/15/15 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGboyswifT27
I'm very excited to see how the penalties are tuned. If done right this will definitely be a bonus for the community. A question that comes to mind, does anyone know if the new PAT/2 Pt conversion rules are in the game this year?
Yes, the new PAT and 2pt conversion rules are in and penalties apply to them as well. Read this in one of the blogs, but can't remember which one.

# 23 N51_rob @ 06/15/15 06:49 PM
On its face/merit this is awesome news. Long time coming.

As for the effectiveness of them. I need to see it in action.

# 24 ggsimmonds @ 06/15/15 06:56 PM
This and the improved QB AI are the biggest and best things I have heard.

The gameplay improvements are about what I expected. This may be surprising to some given my negative comments over the past few weeks, but I do have faith in Rex and his guys to make the game better.

Really glad to see that they introduced a penalty rating though. It is one of the things I have been asking for the past several years. I thought they would take the easy way out and tie it to awareness.

# 25 fballturkey @ 06/15/15 07:01 PM
That's pretty fantastic news and the implementation sounds perfect.

# 26 snc237 @ 06/15/15 07:11 PM
Finally!!!!!

# 27 ThatMichiganFan @ 06/15/15 07:13 PM
I was very dissapointed with the CFM info they have released so far, but this is very great news, even though it should have been in the game a long time ago.

# 28 Skyboxer @ 06/15/15 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
On its face/merit this is awesome news. Long time coming.

As for the effectiveness of them. I need to see it in action.
On top of that I really hope the retail doesn't get "tuned" again before release.
Overall I'm pretty happy....
Took a while but I'm happy some things are in. Just hope the changes keep coming.

# 29 Sausage @ 06/15/15 07:24 PM
Sounds good on paper; hopefully they don't get patched out when the complaints about penalties occurring too often hits twitter and message boards.

# 30 fballturkey @ 06/15/15 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
On top of that I really hope the retail doesn't get "tuned" again before release.
Overall I'm pretty happy....
Took a while but I'm happy some things are in. Just hope the changes keep coming.
If it gets tuned in that they turn the sliders down to 20% or something out of the box that's fine; I can turn it back up. If it gets tuned where they break the thing they finally got right then yeah that'll be bad.

# 31 TD3322 @ 06/15/15 07:36 PM
I hope they fixed PI on uncatchable balls or balls that have gone over a WRs head before a Hit is delivered... Also I lost a game on a FG after blocking the previous attempt and being flagged for "Roughing the Kicker" when my momentum carried me into the Holder I believe not even the actual kicker... Once the ball is deflected on a FG or Punt attempt there can be no Roughing, just as a tipped Pass nulifies any Pass Interference.... I hope these instances are somehow factored into the penalties....

# 32 jfsolo @ 06/15/15 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
Sounds good on paper; hopefully they don't get patched out when the complaints about penalties occurring too often hits twitter and message boards.
I was surprised to read that they have tuned the default setting to be the same as the NFL average for penalties. This will definitely cause a lot of people to cry, because the average per team is about 6 per game. Sadly, I bet it gets tuned down before the game goes retail. I just hope that the sliders work well enough for us to turn it back up to a realistic level.

# 33 DeuceDouglas @ 06/15/15 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I was surprised to read that they have tuned the default setting to be the same as the NFL average for penalties. This will definitely cause a lot of people to cry, because the average per team is about 6 per game. Sadly, I bet it gets tuned down before the game goes retail. I just hope that the sliders work well enough for us to turn it back up to a realistic level.
If it's tuned based on the NFL averages over the last five years then I think people are going to be extremely underwhelmed by them. It's going to mostly be Holding and False Starts. DPI and defensive holding that on average over the last five years aren't even being called once per game. So if that's what they're basing their data off of, don't expect to see them too much.

# 34 jfsolo @ 06/15/15 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
If it's tuned based on the NFL averages over the last five years then I think people are going to be extremely underwhelmed by them. It's going to mostly be Holding and False Starts. DPI and defensive holding that on average over the last five years aren't even being called once per game. So if that's what they're basing their data off of, don't expect to see them too much.
My feeling is that erratic User play styles will cause more penalties to occur then would in a real NFL game.

People shouldn't be underwhelmed if they do their homework http://www.nflpenalties.com/ and see the actual distribution of what and how many penalties actually occur during a game.

# 35 ggsimmonds @ 06/15/15 08:04 PM
On the issue of tuning and rate of penalties, did they go by a per game basis or per play?

A game with 5 minute quarters should not see the same amount of penalties as a real life 15 minute quarters game

# 36 DeuceDouglas @ 06/15/15 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
My feeling is that erratic User play styles will cause more penalties to occur then would in a real NFL game.

People shouldn't be underwhelmed if they do their homework http://www.nflpenalties.com/ and see the actual distribution of what and how many penalties actually occur during a game.
I totally agree that they shouldn't be. I just think many people are unaware and won't do the research to find out that these penalties that they've wanted aren't nearly the factor that they might have thought they were.

# 37 Armor and Sword @ 06/15/15 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Reel
Yeah.

Its the most impressive thing Ive heard about Madden this year....which is depressing given all of the CCM info theyve released.
Actually it's the most impressive thing I Have heard about Madden in a decade.

This what we have been asking for.....for like...forever.

# 38 JoshC1977 @ 06/15/15 08:12 PM
If this works...then theoretically, penalties will no longer influence gameplay elements. Now, that sounds great, but in reality, those penalty sliders play a huge role in our ability to properly tune player reactions. That could be a very bad thing in that we are going to be stuck if something like pursuit angles or defensive reaction times are badly overdone (a hallmark of this series). Currently, the only way to properly tune these is a combination of the tackle slider and RTK slider.

What I am hoping is that they bring back some of the old gameplay sliders they took out (which wound up being combined with other sliders) a couple of years ago (like pass rush, RBA, etc.). This would allow us to fine-tune the game and enjoy penalties for once.

# 39 fballturkey @ 06/15/15 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
On the issue of tuning and rate of penalties, did they go by a per game basis or per play?

A game with 5 minute quarters should not see the same amount of penalties as a real life 15 minute quarters game
I have to assume they did per play. Doesn't make any sense otherwise.

# 40 brandon27 @ 06/15/15 08:40 PM
Now this... is great news. Might be the best part of the blog I've read so far on Madden. This is huge IMO. Of course, the proof is in the pudding on how it works.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.