Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

About 45 minutes ago, Peter Moore was talking shop with Geoff Keighley on the YouTube E3 stream and confirmed that EA and the NFL were still exclusive partners.

"So EA has the exclusivity on an NFL game?" Keighley asked.

"We do," Moore replied.

Keighley then pressed, "On all platforms?"

"On the NFL game, in our NFL agreement, in our NFLPA game agreement -- equally as important with the players -- uh yes...we do," Moore replied.

Moore was asked about a potential Joe Montana game and said it'd have to be unlicensed, saying he doesn't know what's going on there as he reads what everyone else reads on Twitter and in the news.

Moore finished the exchange after a bit more idle speculation with saying, "What you did see today was a spectacular Madden. I thought the team did a great job."

Most likely EA has the license locked up for a few years still, and there is zero reason to expect them to not renew when the time comes, just as they've likely done a few times prior as the current arrangement seems to be working for both parties it appears.

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ChaseB @ 06/15/15 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerBacker123
I can't tell on this site if people are really that uptight or if it's all just some tongue-in-cheek humor that I'm not getting. Really hoping its the latter.
The tongue is firmly in my cheek, I can promise you.

# 22 micole @ 06/15/15 10:45 PM
Dammit!! The trailer didn't move me one bit. In fact I STILL SEE SAME BODY TYPES SAME GLOVES SAME SHOES! Oh and only Beckham has tattoo's, I thought they would do differently within a year( but oops I forgot it's Madden

# 23 roadman @ 06/15/15 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by micole
Dammit!! The trailer didn't move me one bit. In fact I STILL SEE SAME BODY TYPES SAME GLOVES SAME SHOES! Oh and only Beckham has tattoo's, I thought they would do differently within a year( but oops I forgot it's Madden
No equipment update this year, that was already mentioned before E3.

Acturally, Kaep and Von Miller have tats this year it seems.

The players need permission from the artist or EA will be served with lawsuits on the tats.

# 24 Sheba2011 @ 06/15/15 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
No equipment update this year, that was already mentioned before E3.

Acturally, Kaep and Von Miller have tats this year it seems.

The players need permission from the artist or EA will be served with lawsuits on the tats.
This is one thing a lot of people don't understand. EA can't just add in tattoo's and even certain equipment. A lot of it is licensed content they need permission to use. For tattoo's it would be a monumental task to get the rights to every tattoo in the game. A tattoo is like a song or painting the rights of it belong to the artist. Having the exclusive license gives them rights to everything the NFL owns directly, they still need to sign separate deals with companies like Reebook, Nike, Under Armour etc.

# 25 DeuceDouglas @ 06/16/15 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
This is one thing a lot of people don't understand. EA can't just add in tattoo's and even certain equipment. A lot of it is licensed content they need permission to use. For tattoo's it would be a monumental task to get the rights to every tattoo in the game. A tattoo is like a song or painting the rights of it belong to the artist. Having the exclusive license gives them rights to everything the NFL owns directly, they still need to sign separate deals with companies like Reebook, Nike, Under Armour etc.
While I agree with, or at least accept, the premise of EA going that rout, I still feel like they could circumvent the rules in a form that would allow for some sort of generic tattoos to be place holders for players to make them at least seem more realistic. It wouldn't be truly authentic, but it would be more authentic than what we currently have.

# 26 roadman @ 06/16/15 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
so you are telling me every player in the NBA has their tattoos verified by the NBA? I find that VERY hard to believe...
2k hasn't been sued previously, either, EA has. The NFLPA is the one that required the players to get permission from the tattoo artist. They didn't want anymore lawsuits filed.

Different league, different set of rules.

# 27 DeuceDouglas @ 06/16/15 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Mike
so you are telling me every player in the NBA has their tattoos verified by the NBA? I find that VERY hard to believe...
As it's been stated multiple times before about the issue. 2K or the NBPA or whatever run the risk by doing so. EA got sued over the Ricky Williams tattoo on NFL Street and now the NFLPA makes players obtain the rights as a preventative measure. Is what it is.

# 28 Reejer @ 06/16/15 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
While I agree with, or at least accept, the premise of EA going that rout, I still feel like they could circumvent the rules in a form that would allow for some sort of generic tattoos to be place holders for players to make them at least seem more realistic. It wouldn't be truly authentic, but it would be more authentic than what we currently have.
I used to design original tats professionally. I wouldn't mind making a few that they could slap on the guys. All I ask in payment is that they work on CFM immersion for M-17'. I'd bet that you could find a bunch of artists that would add content for free, or just a free game (as long as they just get credited for their art).

# 29 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/16/15 12:27 AM
Well guys all we can hope for is that this current Madden dev team continues to strive for a true simulation. I mean we've waited over a decade now for the license to be shared so it's safe to say we're stuck with Madden as the only NFL game we'll get. I've given up hope on another company making an NFL game a while ago sadly to say.

On the bright side, Rex seems like a stand up guy & I like what Madden 16 is bringing to the table. Hopefully everything is executed well. Is it sad that EA has the NFL license & we still don't have things like Signature ball carrying/running styles, updated equipment, 2K5 level presentation, better sidelines, etc...Yes, but all we can do is hope they step their game up & quit milking the license for all it's worth. I think this dev team will deliver. Question is will the heads at EA allow them to stay the course....?

# 30 aholbert32 @ 06/16/15 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smif
Why would the Joe Montana team keep the license info and platform info under wraps for so long? Guess we'll find out real soon.
Because the speculation was helping bring awareness to their game. More people paid attantion when they thought it was an NFL licensed/Xbox exclusive.

# 31 droopizzle34 @ 06/16/15 05:46 AM
will this exclusive prison sentence ever end???? It has hurt us as consumers/gamers and has hurt video game nfl football in general. Man i miss the days of choice in NFL football videogames...

# 32 Cusefan @ 06/16/15 06:03 AM
this forum is more interesting when it is agitated so I applaud the NFL in sticking with EA!

# 33 undrafted @ 06/16/15 07:26 AM
my hopes just got deflated

# 34 Jet Sufferer @ 06/16/15 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Why anyone is getting mad about this is beyond me. You had to know the exclusive deal will continue till probably the end of console gaming.

There is no point in hoping it will end anytime soon, because it won't.
I take the opposite approach, EVERYONE should be mad that we can only get one official NFL football game, especially one that has languished in sub-mediocrity for my tastes since the start of the 360 generation.

Imagine a world where NBA basketball fans were forced to play 11 years of iterations of the current NBA Live franchise and NBA 2K games were only a fantasy. That's a pretty horrible world in my book, and sim football gamers have been living in that nightmare for over a decade.

No one ever thought that the USSR would fall, and not everyone accepted it, perhaps the new Montana game will strike a chord with gamers and eventually lead to getting itself the NFL license.

I can always hope that the license will be open again, if history shows us anything, it's that anything can happen.

# 35 TCFClemson @ 06/16/15 08:20 AM
So that interview in which someone from EA was challenging someone else to make and NFL game was just BS. They know no one can make another NFL game.

# 36 Cabish @ 06/16/15 08:38 AM
WTF!!!!!!!!!

# 37 Cabish @ 06/16/15 08:41 AM
This means I will not be buying or playing football anymore on consoles, to hell with it..nba2k,Fifa,mlb the show, no choice no option just stay in the bleek and abysmal world of no nfl2k ever again..sigh !

# 38 NDAlum @ 06/16/15 08:49 AM
It's just like those of us who love NCAA football, MVP baseball, and College Hoops 2K.

Sometimes you just have to accept reality. Those games are gone. It really really sucks for me...but no amount of complaining on a video game message board is going to change it.

# 39 Hassan Darkside @ 06/16/15 08:57 AM
Honestly, I don't see why people are so mad at EA. If you should be mad at anyone, you should be mad at the NFL PA. If they wanted other football games to compete with Madden, I'm sure they would get their way. I don't know the details of the agreement, but I'd assume EA is paying them more for the exclusive deal than the NFL PA would get otherwise. And I'm sure the decision makers for the NFL PA aren't hardcore Madden gamers.

# 40 DeuceDouglas @ 06/16/15 09:01 AM
I don't even understand why this might be remotely surprising. This is old news. It seemed like there was a possibility last year of them losing exclusivity before they said they still had it for "a couple more years."

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.