Home
NBA Live 16 News Post

IGN has just posted the first gameplay action from NBA Live 16, featuring Producer, Connor Dougan and Designer, Ryan Santos.

The guys talk about the off-ball motion system, awareness and physicality. The video also shows the new free throw mechanic, dribble hand-off mechanic and quite a few various replays of gameplay action.

Check it out and post your thoughts.

Game: NBA Live 16Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 4 - View All
NBA Live 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Ermolli @ 06/17/15 04:27 PM
After watching the video I feel animation-wise it's better but it's still not there yet, I don't like the Bogut rebound animation or almost any that are in Live 15 for that matter. Movement is a lot better than Live 15, good thing that they got rid of the automotion thing. I still despite and can't understand how can the post player after receiving a pass doesn't immediately go for the score, like 24th said it stuck out like a sore thumb and need to be address as soon as possible. I don't hate the lighting in-game but I thought it'd look closer to the screenshots, maybe it will get fixed right? Floaty passes still? Those inbound passes looked awful. A couple things that I also didn't liked was how any Cavs player didn't help Kyrie when Curry attacked the basket, at least Mozgov should've helped; also how Tristan Thompson didn't help JR Smith boxing out Bogut and let him grab the rebound without any kind of aggression that he usually has going for rebound. The livemotion thing seems promising, liked the interaction when JR hit Klay while shooting, should've been a foul though.

As many already said, there's still issues that carry over from past Live games but I see things could affect in a good way. They still have time to iron those issues, if they will do that it's another topic. Overall I believe Live 16 can be a very good game, the gameplay shows promise but there's no certainty that it'll reach our expectations about how great it should be.

# 22 Chargers_Are_The_Bes @ 06/17/15 04:30 PM
This doesnt contain to the game in particular but im suprised nba live or 2k hasnt got Licensed refs in the were each called fouls different for Example Joey Crawford would call a charge different from say a Tony Brothers. Just a suggestion im suprised they didnt try out.Same goes for Madden

# 23 Gotmadskillzson @ 06/17/15 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargers_Are_The_Bes
This doesnt contain to the game in particular but im suprised nba live or 2k hasnt got Licensed refs in the were each called fouls different for Example Joey Crawford would call a charge different from say a Tony Brothers. Just a suggestion im suprised they didnt try out.Same goes for Madden
More money.....Game budgets are already expensive, no need to add licensed refs considering you only going to see them close up less then 1% of the time.

# 24 NoTiCe_O @ 06/17/15 04:39 PM
Looks like competitively it will be more fun than last year, but I have to agree that until Live can make the game animate as beautifully as the game is in real life they're not gonna get that real sense of immersion.

# 25 Goffs @ 06/17/15 04:43 PM
I like what I see but then again I'm on my phone....need to see this later on a bigger screen but overall it looks better than last year's version.

# 26 lakers24 @ 06/17/15 04:47 PM
Liked the dribble handoff(probably the best part of the vid and was the most natural passing and catching animation I've seen in any basketball game), the movement off ball is also nice, the LeBron pass was nice too but that Mozgov animation was kind of eh. Dribbling looks a tad bit smoother regarding transitioning from move to move(still seems a bit slow though for some reason, the Kyrie dribble up court between his legs was how I'd expect the quickness to look like), everything else looks pretty much exactly like 15. Kind of underwhelmed, though I will give it a go and hopefully they do something modes wise that'll interest a bit more outside of quick games.

# 27 Hustle Westbrook @ 06/17/15 04:54 PM
I'm surprised. The game looks really good. I might have to pick up a copy this year.

# 28 Teddy_Long @ 06/17/15 04:59 PM
i actually enjoyed what i saw. models and movement were way better than any version they have put out in years.

# 29 bran9413 @ 06/17/15 05:13 PM
I liked what I've seen in the video and at least they're showing gameplay early so they can possibly fix some of the gripes people have with what they see in the video shown. I really do hope they make it so teams for most part have the same playing style as they do in real life. They do need to fix those floater passes and I really do hope commentary is fluid and not repetitive this year.

# 30 El_Poopador @ 06/17/15 05:16 PM
Graphically, it looks similar to Live 15, which I am fine with. I liked the way Live 15 looked. Of course, I'm not seeing the game running at full resolution, so it may look better in person. The player faces and models are definitely improved though, as is the lighting.

I do hope the warmups are added back in. I would also like to see full player intros, at least for the Finals. Obviously it's an early build, so hopefully that can be added in later.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I would also like to see the jumpball be a little more dynamic in terms of where the ball goes off the tip.

The biggest thing I took away was the offensive movement. I didn't see much standing around on either side, and screens were set both on and off the ball without human interaction. I also liked seeing the screens being set when a player was cutting off the ball (1:47). Not sure if that was part of the play or happened dynamically, but it really adds to the realism. I would like to see a little more awareness and movement when a player is about to run into another player, instead of them just kinda sliding around each other (1:47-1:49, 2:58-3:00).

The pass from Lebron to Mozzy on the pick and roll was ok, but I feel he should have thrown it with his left hand in front, instead of his right hand behind the defender (or he could have taken it to the rim himself), and I didn't like how Mozgov did the little jump stop instead of catching it in stride and finishing. However, after the stop and catch, I did like the dribble gather.

The Curry floater was beautiful, although there was a little sliding from Kyrie on that play. I also feel like the rotation could have been better (JR was in position but ran outside, and Tristan put a hand up but didn't really contest), but that's only one play. If that happens all the time, it may be an issue. But I like that you can explode out of the dribble without the hesitation that was there last year.

It also looks like they made it easier to change directions, specifically coming off a screen to attack (6:13), which is fantastic.

Tristan is an amazing rebounder, so I'm a little concerned that he really didn't make an effort at 6:37, giving Bogut the easy offensive board. Also, the switch before that shouldn't really have happened, but that could just be a rotation screwup (God knows the Cavs had plenty of those during the Finals). I would also like to see it be more difficult to get the ball back out. Bogut threw it right past Mozzy's face and he didn't even go for it.

The dribble hand-off was pretty, but there was also an unnecessary switch between Smith and Mozgov (second of that play) that left Thompson wide open for the jumper.

All in all, I like what I saw. The game looked a lot more fluid than last year. There's still a lot of time before the game drops, so hopefully they can take in all the feedback and incorporate some before release. I'm having fun with Live 15 still, but seeing the improvements already is going to make it harder to play lol. I want those hand-offs now!

# 31 wallofhate @ 06/17/15 05:16 PM
Definitely a let down compared to the trailer. Some animations stick out to me like only certain body parts are sped up its distracting to the eyes like some of these automation settings these hdtvs have. It looked to play more smooth but then the speed of the ball on some passes and shots just ruin it for me. It doesn't look as good as the trailer IMO either but maybe it was just the feed idk.

# 32 Earl1963 @ 06/17/15 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
This game will never be animation based like 2k so that "stiffness" you guys see will be there. Surprised its so hard to understand
This is true, you sacrifice realistic movement for control I guess.

# 33 Basketball Nate @ 06/17/15 05:27 PM
The off-ball movement is leaps better than Live 15. Can't wait to check this out on EA Access later this year before making my final decision.

# 34 Junior Moe @ 06/17/15 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
This game will never be animation based like 2k so that "stiffness" you guys see will be there. Surprised its so hard to understand
The game doesn't have to animate like 2K to not look "stiff". It has nothing to do with 2K, honestly. It almost seems as if the some of the movements aren't motion captured. That's why they stand out, because others actually look quite good.

# 35 JODYE @ 06/17/15 05:35 PM
There are some subtle things I really enjoyed.

First of all, I didn't expect every wonky animation to be gone immediately. That is so unrealistic to expect, especially with the amount of work it takes to mo cap and design these animations.

But I'm optimistic that this team in place gets it and is focused on those little things. It may be so subtle, but watch how Klay Thompson comes up the court after the tip off. Watch how Barnes settles after cutting through the lane. It's the little things like that that immerse you in the experience and when you show the willingness to focus on subtle things like that, good things will happen.

Is this perfect? No of course not. But I saw a lot of good things.

That Curry pull up off the dribble in the first possession looked one million times better than last year. The way Kyrie walked up the court with the ball looked so smooth.

I also didn't find the Mozgov possession that egregious. Could he have went straight to the basket? Of course but the bounce pass from LeBron looked really really good and I thought the actual drop step move itself looked really smooth.

The ball itself is still a little floaty, but I'm hoping that will be tweaked. I also think the size up moves are a bit much but that is user controlled so you don't have to do that every time down the floor.

But man oh man, that hesitation move and the way Curry attacked the basket and shot the floater was maybe the best combination of animations I've seen in a Live game in a long time. Really good stuff.

There is also a lot of win in the possession that starts at 6:11 in the YouTube version. First of all the down screen Thompson sets on Thompson looks absolutely incredible and I love the contact animation and again when he comes back to set another one, although there is a little sliding, the contact animation is beautiful and different. Tells me that what we see is going to be dynamic and that picks are going to have a real effect in moving a defender off his course.

Again, is it perfect? Definitely not, but man there is a lot to be excited about and it's good to see this team is on the right track.

# 36 Haval93 @ 06/17/15 05:56 PM
Overall pretty damn good. Some bad animations no doubt, I'm looking at the Bogut rebound, that animation needs to be scraped and the ball is still a bit too floaty. As for dribbling, it seemed a lot more fluid. Shooting the ball looks like an improvement and that Curry floater was nice. The best part was the dribble hand off to Klay with the pull-up. It was smooth and looked very realistic.

# 37 The 24th Letter @ 06/17/15 06:16 PM
If "physics" is the supposed reason we see that horrible transitional animation from Mosgov on the P&R then we need an explanation on how their physics work.

Very surprised folks are on board with that, especially with the whole being in "control" theme I've been hearing...it's not about just looking nice....if that's a situation where the D is playing tighter, that hesitation takes you from a easy 2 points to a contested layup....just like it did in Live 15.

Definitely interesting.

One thing I wanted it point out that I liked though, it appears that the defender isn't glued to offensive player anymore....that was a clean blow-by by Steph....

# 38 Cabish @ 06/17/15 06:38 PM
Looks dead boring ,I'm sorry

# 39 nick_sr @ 06/17/15 06:57 PM
Well hopefully they some some early feedback n fix things. Watched it again like it even m.ore

Around the rim game play must be seriously address.

# 40 nick_sr @ 06/17/15 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabish
Looks dead boring ,I'm sorry
No between the leg dunk over a defender without jumping?

They were just showing things off.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.