Home
NBA Live 16 News Post

IGN has just posted the first gameplay action from NBA Live 16, featuring Producer, Connor Dougan and Designer, Ryan Santos.

The guys talk about the off-ball motion system, awareness and physicality. The video also shows the new free throw mechanic, dribble hand-off mechanic and quite a few various replays of gameplay action.

Check it out and post your thoughts.

Game: NBA Live 16Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 4 - View All
NBA Live 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Rob. D @ 06/17/15 07:00 PM
Seeing some animations I don't like and floaty passes. Looks like 15 with better contrast, I need to see more. Ive played to much 15 cmon EA show me something new...

# 42 Super Glock @ 06/17/15 07:13 PM
Wow major let down, what a big disappointment. I was expecting so much better this year but looks just like 15. Still see awkward animations, floaty passes, and the jump ball routine bugs me to no end. The game did not look smooth at all.

# 43 NINJAK2 @ 06/17/15 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethisthegoat
This game immediately looks better than last year's, and the year before. But (at an initial pop, playing something like 6 possessions) it still doesn't look like it's in the same arena as 2K. I'm listening. I'm interested. I want to know more about their modes and how the game is actually going to be played. But, day one? I'm leaning 2K until I see a reason to do something different.

Even releasing at a lower price point might be enough, like NFL 2K5.
I feel the same seth. To me this looks much better off the bat than Live 15 (love that dribble hand off and the physicality of off ball defense-something I feel the competition totally lacked last year). Animation seems to be this game's nemisis since moving to last gen/current gen. It has improved but it still looks off. What is up with those upper bodies though? Just looks disproportionate to the rest of the body. This game is on my radar regardless of these issues...

# 44 youvalss @ 06/17/15 07:22 PM
Very short clip (if you ignore the replays that just wasted half of the video time), but if it serves as a representation of the game, I sure hope this build is far far far...from the final thing, because I could find none of the hype that was created the last few days.

After the ball is released, it hangs in the air and floats...its almost like you can see the game calculates the outcome, and needs more time to process it and decide. Just doesn't look natural at all.

Animations are just ok, I saw some better animations in live 10. The game feels like it's played in slow motion - no intensity, no physicality, no athleticism or speed of the NBA.

PS: The tipoff continues to look horrible, they apparently need to go back to their PS2 games and copy that sequence from there.

My positives are the nice graphics/colors and the off-ball movement (that still needs to animate better, in my opinion).

I'll wait to see another gameplay video, with no replays or anything. Just non-stop gameplay.

# 45 23 @ 06/17/15 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
This game will never be animation based like 2k so that "stiffness" you guys see will be there. Surprised its so hard to understand
Doesnt have to be 2k to look like regular humans moving. Thats a built in excuse.

Its not asking for the world. Thats the exact attitude the fans dont need to have.

This has been an issue for almost a decade and previous lives didnt move like this.

Smh

# 46 2_headedmonster @ 06/17/15 07:58 PM
Off ball movement looks good.

Klays jumper and the transition into it looked good although it was defended HORRIBLY. But that could be said a couple times in this video.

Overall i was disappointed. The game needs to be cleansed from an animation standpoint.

# 47 Rasco11 @ 06/17/15 08:04 PM
I am happy to see this vid! Game shows some definite improvement in motion to me. I liked some of the animations (loved that Steph lay-up!) and applaud the inclusion of gameplay advances in dribble hand offs, touch passing, etc!!! However, from watching this vid I feel like some of the animations and motions still appear a bit "rigid?" I know this is a work in progress and accept that. Not gonna sugarcoat it...works not done!

And my god, the net?!? Could it get more "coney?" I know that's knit-picky, but dang....quite an eyesore to me. Does not look like an authentic NBA net! LOL...maybe a brand new one, I guess?

One positive that I absolutely ate up was the crowd noise. Loved hearing the crowd chant "defense!" That was impressive and sounded perfect!!!

In general, I'm nodding my head in approval...some good stuff here for sure!!! This is long overdue for this series, if nothing else to (re?)establish some footing!!! Been awhile!

# 48 RICH72601 @ 06/17/15 08:13 PM
When I first saw that it was an 8-minute video, I'm like "YES", but it would've been more enjoyable if that would've actually played the game, or let it play instead of going into replay and seeing how good it looks. The game does look improved, but still have a ways to go. I do like the detail in the faces better and more vibrant colors compared to 2k, but to me it still doesn't have that true next-gen look to it. It still looks a little floaty also.

# 49 shutdown10 @ 06/17/15 08:15 PM
I'm not impressed. This is what Live 14 should have looked like. It looks like they are two years away with this title. Live 14 really set this franchise back big time.

# 50 Vic Viper @ 06/17/15 08:30 PM
PROS

+ Pull up Jumpers are more fluid and precise (No more awkward floaty jumpers)
+ Graphics are improved, but what pops out the most are the color, lighting, contrast and textures of the game.
+ The Dribbling looks fluid and beautiful
+ THE PLAYERS ARE ACTUALLY MOVING AND DOING SOMETHING!!!!! (No more of that, "I'm gonna be a lazy bum today and tap into my inner Kwame Brown.")
+ "Live Motion" actually looks legit (I hope it doesn't turn into a cheese fest where screens are abundant and you can't contest shots)
+ Shooting fouls are unique. It's fun seeing a player give another player contact and the other player flops drawing the foul.
+ Players are more explosive and that's a plus. I felt like players never took that leap into breaking away from defenders in NBA LIVE 15.
+ The Shot meter
+ That Mozgov animation was horrible (He should never had shuffled his feet and went straight up for the dunk)
+ Defensive Assignment Line

CONS

- Introductions and pregame didn't show Warmups (I think warmups will be in the final product)

- Something looks off in the players faces, especially when you look at the starting lineup pictures. They really look dead in the face.
- Tip off always starts with the PG receiving the ball. It should be random and more authentic.
- There are still a lot of wacky animations that need to be fixed.
- That Mozgov animation was horrible. (He should never had shuffled his feet and went straight up for the dunk)
- Defense Looks like it could be abused when comparing it the offensive side of the ball. (Then again, It was Kyrie Irving)
- Those Camera Guy's knees must really hurt
- Passes are a little floaty
- Post game needs work

THOUGHTS

I think NBA LIVE 16 will be a solid game. The fact that this is only ALPHA gave a positive vibe. They still have a long ways to go until it resembles a true experience. NBA Live 17 or 18 maybe. They can only go up from here on out.

# 51 ZoneSix @ 06/17/15 08:34 PM
i really hope they worked on the trajectory of shots and the backboard not being used on layups.

# 52 Ownal0t @ 06/17/15 08:35 PM
no more meters please. 2k has killed this for me. especially with the online lag <_<

# 53 nick_sr @ 06/17/15 08:38 PM
Game looks a lot better than I thought on YouTube on ps4 instead of my phone.

Just pray they work hard on the post game n make it like the other game!

# 54 Junior Moe @ 06/17/15 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2K
Its an EA thing. As long as I can do the moves I want when I want with that touch of physics and anything can happy then I'm satisfied.

The transitions for shots look improved but def need that smooth transition after the pass. Although it is mosgov who does shuffle and travel!
That may be so and if that's what floats your boat then more power to you. I also have UFC, it's both responsive and fluid looking. So EA has the talent, I have seen it. I would like to have more control over my players as well, some of the cannimation drive me nuts in 2K, but I also expect it to look real and fluid. Those unnatural motions break the immersion for me. Good thing we have options on the NBA front, that way we can get the game that caters best to our tastes.

# 55 Walt Frazier @ 06/17/15 10:35 PM
Based on only a few CPU plays..................seems like the generic "point guard carries the ball up every time" is still in.

CPU LeBron went to the three point line every time Cavs had the ball / Kyrie carried the ball.

Tiny sample, yes. But PG dominated offense / no one else carried the ball up was all through 14 and 15, so it would have been nice to see some more variety.

# 56 Walt Frazier @ 06/17/15 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
This game will never be animation based like 2k so that "stiffness" you guys see will be there. Surprised its so hard to understand

But none of that "stiffness" exists in FIFA.............

Why keep comparing to 2K? Why not compare to FIFA?

FIFA has none of that stiffness. Same company.

# 57 Walt Frazier @ 06/17/15 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
Definitely looks much improved but let's be honest, Live had nowhere to go but up considering that last two games they put out. There's a lot to like about what their doing with the game but until they get the animation quality at the level of their competition it will still fall short. I like that Live gives you more freedom to break out of animations better than 2K but if the animations aren't as smooth it's kind of a wash in that area.

+ Player models look better

+ Off ball movement is improved

+ Signature shots / dribbling looks good

+ Like the hand off passes

+ Physics & "Live movement" look good

- Net/rim physics are still stiff & not dynamic enough (need to see more variations in how the ball goes through the net ala 2K)

- Still no assistant coaches on the bench which looks awkward

- Animations (although improved) still have that "Live stiffness" look to them

Overall the game is much improved but still not at the level it needs to be. Keep working on the animation quality & Live could on it's way. Hopefully they can still improve between now & release. I will definitely give it a try.

Agree on all the good points. The hand offs look great.

# 58 shutdown10 @ 06/17/15 11:20 PM
I'm not going to criticize the developers because I know they have to put in long hours of work with the budget and resources they are given. However I will lambaste the people who are overseeing this project. Is this really a next gen basketball game? Did you see how funky those dribbling animations were? Are they really going to insult us again by placing a $60 dollar price tag on this game? I think they need to overhaul everything from what I've seen these past three years on this gen. How many years do we have to be patient with them to give us a competent game that matches this era of gaming? I'm talking solid graphics/visuals, quality fluid animations, smart A.I., creative editing, and unique game modes. What is so hard to grasp for these guys? I'm tired of waiting on them.

# 59 Chargers_Are_The_Bes @ 06/18/15 12:09 AM
This doesnt contain to the game in particular but im suprised nba live or 2k hasnt got Licensed refs in the were each called fouls different for Example Joey Crawford would call a charge different from say a Tony Brothers. Just a suggestion im suprised they didnt try out.Same goes for Madden

# 60 ChaseB @ 06/18/15 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown10
I'm not going to criticize the developers because I know they have to put in long hours of work with the budget and resources they are given. However I will lambaste the people who are overseeing this project. Is this really a next gen basketball game? Did you see how funky those dribbling animations were? Are they really going to insult us again by placing a $60 dollar price tag on this game? I think they need to overhaul everything from what I've seen these past three years on this gen. How many years do we have to be patient with them to give us a competent game that matches this era of gaming? I'm talking solid graphics/visuals, quality fluid animations, smart A.I., creative editing, and unique game modes. What is so hard to grasp for these guys? I'm tired of waiting on them.
So don't? I'm not trying to be mean here, just saying...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.