Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

More Madden NFL 16 gameplay videos continue popping up at various outlets, below are a few of them. Make sure you check out the official Madden NFL 16 E3 video thread, created and updated by jpdavis82 here for more.

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 strawberryshortcake @ 06/23/15 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
True gang tackling is in the game, I think it was the chiefs giants video that showed a pretty good example at the beginning of the video. Like Shop and Madscientist, Sim, Smitty, Azure, and myself all said tonight on the GC radio show, watching these videos does not do the game justice and you won't see everything in these short Youtube clips, have to play hours to see things. I played 35 hours and was still seeing new stuff in the last hour I played.
I will disagree here. True gang tackling is still only a work in progress. If you only refer to the 1st/2nd defender, fine. But when you involve a 3rd/4th defender/tackler, gang tackling is unfortunately notpresent.

It's still noticeably a cosmetic band aid effect. It definitely looks aesthetically better than past Maddens', but if you closely examine when gang tackling happens involving 3 and 4 defenders, the 3rd and 4th defender doesn't make a "physics based" impact on the play.

It may visually look like there is some type of impact, but the band aid effect is present because the type of animation coded to play out by the 3rd and 4th defender is to dive at the feets/calves of pile (wrapped up 1st/2nd tackler and ball carrier). However, there is no physical physics based impact on the pile when the 3rd/4th defender hits the pile.

@8:40 - 8:46 mark in the video below just a one example... 3rd/4th defender makes no physical physics based impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
(Already posted in the first post)

Pats Falcons Full Game Draft Champions

@6:28 - 6:36 Loving the sequence here ...
where it appears each tackling defender has an impact on the running back. You can see the running back stumble just a little bit with each defender making contact. Need to see more of this. There is not enough of this.

However, there are still "gang" tackle that happens that are simply cosmetic only where the second and third defender doesn't truly make an impact that physically alters the ball carrier.

@8:40 - 8:46 mark. Example Hating the "cosmetic, no impact" sequence here
Falcons #55 and #26 goes after the ball carriers leg, and neither of them affects the ball carrier.

@6:33 mark
I even love the "pissed" off falcons throwing #25 patriots blocker away in disgust. However, what I don't like is the "warping" that happens (6:33 mark) where #25 warps into a blocking position.

Loving the close up camera angel shot of #25 getting up (6:38 - 6:42). Very fluid looking. Still would like to see the play selection screen not cover so much of the screen up.

Please slow down the audible signal by the quarterback. It's too lighting quick.

# 82 jpdavis82 @ 06/24/15 12:00 AM
Quote:
I will disagree here. True gang tackling is still only a work in progress. If you only refer to the 1st/2nd defender, fine. But when you involve a 3rd/4th defender/tackler, gang tackling is unfortunately notpresent.

It's still noticeably a cosmetic band aid effect. It definitely looks aesthetically better than past Maddens', but if you closely examine when gang tackling happens involving 3 and 4 defenders, the 3rd and 4th defender doesn't make a "physics based" impact on the play.

It may visually look like there is some type of impact, but the band aid effect is present because the type of animation coded to play out by the 3rd and 4th defender is to dive at the feets/calves of pile (wrapped up 1st/2nd tackler and ball carrier). However, there is no physical physics based impact on the pile when the 3rd/4th defender hits the pile.

@8:40 - 8:46 mark in the video below just a one example... 3rd/4th defender makes no physical physics based impact.
Have you seen a play where the 5th and 6th defender is involved? You can't make a blanket statement about gang tackling based on these videos. I'm telling you that true gang tackling is in the game, I've seen it, several times and in many different ways. You have to play the game to see some of this stuff, the way gang tackling works is two fold, it's part animation and part organic, but there are things I promise you that you haven't seen in terms of gang tackling like I have.

Watch this Chiefs and Giants video, around 1:21,the first two defenders wrap up the ball carrier, the 3rd and 4th defenders help bring him down and one of them dives at him and he falls forward based on that impact.

http://youtu.be/bIarYCXlODQ

# 83 strawberryshortcake @ 06/24/15 12:13 AM
Quote:
Have you seen a play where the 5th and 6th defender is involved? You can't make a blanket statement about gang tackling based on these videos. I'm telling you that true gang tackling is in the game, I've seen it, several times and in many different ways. You have to play the game to see some of this stuff, the way gang tackling works is two fold, it's part animation and part organic, but there are things I promise you that you haven't seen in terms of gang tackling like I have.

Watch this Chiefs and Giants video, the first two defenders wrap up the ball carrier, the 3rd and 4th defenders help bring him down and one of them dives at his knee and he falls based on that impact.

http://youtu.be/bIarYCXlODQ

Please present more than one example if possible. Because the first thing I do when the year rolls around is specifically look at gang tackling and whether a 3rd/4th defender actually makes a physics based impact tackling effect. Second thing on my list is the OL/DL interactions.

I have seen that 'gang tackle' in the Giants/Chiefs game multiple times, it's still suspect. Because had the 3rd and 4th defender not come into the picture, I believe the same tackling motion from beginning to end would have play out.

In the video above that I present at the 8:40 - 8:46 mark, why was "gang tackling" not present with respect to physics. The 3rd/4th defender made no impact on the play when they dove at the ball carriers lower legs. It was simply cosmetic. The ball carrier eventually fell forward and was awarded a touchdown. Had the 3rd/4th defender made a physics based tackle the ball carrier would have been stopped short of the goal line.

Please note: I have seen some pretty nice and absolutely gorgeous 1st and 2nd defender tackling but from all the videos I have seen, true gang tackling where the 3rd and 4th defender has a real physics based impact that alters the trajectory of the initial pile doesn't truly compute.

Let me reiterate, the gang tackling cosmetically looks better than prior Maddens, but it's still not where it needs to be.

# 84 jpdavis82 @ 06/24/15 12:18 AM
Quote:
Please present more than one example if possible. Because the first thing I do when the year rolls around is specifically look at gang tackling and whether a 3rd/4th defender actually makes a physics based impact tackling effect. Second thing on my list is the OL/DL interactions.

I have seen that 'gang tackle' in the Giants/Chiefs game multiple times, it's still suspect.

In the video above that I present at the 8:40 - 8:46 mark, why was "gang tackling" not present with respect to physics. The 3rd/4th defender made no impact on the play when they dove at the ball carriers lower legs. It was simply cosmetic. The ball carrier eventually fell forward and was awarded a touchdown. Had the 3rd/4th defender made a physics based tackle the ball carrier would have been stopped short of the goal line.

Please note: I have seen some pretty nice and absolutely gorgeous 1st and 2nd defender tackling but from all the videos I have seen, true gang tackling where the 3rd and 4th defender has a real physics based impact that alters the trajectory of the initial pile doesn't truly compute.
I can't provide examples because I wasn't recording when I played Madden 16, but I've got 35+ hours in with the game, there's a lot of stuff that isn't in these E3 videos.

# 85 SolidSquid @ 06/24/15 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp23
So watching these videos looking for gang tackles since people were syaing they were in the game when i said i didn tsee any.

Watched the pats game and the browns game and those vids did have some instances of gang tackling, but from what i am seeing, they are canned animations and does not impact the play at all.

Still, i see defenders releasing before another defender hitting instead of holding on while the other cleans it up. I saw an instance in the pats game where the runner had a defender on him and another coming in to "clean" up and just rubbed off on him and fell to the ground like how it is now. It was like 8:20 in the video.

Doesnt seem the gang tackling impacts anything once the first defender touches the defender and the only way the 2nd defender impacts the play is if the 1st defender lets go creating a pin ball effect.

I've read people saying the gang tackling looks good and all that, but to me, correct if i am wrong or seeing something totally off, these animations are canned and doesnt look like it impacts the play at all.

I guess technically, they did get gang tackling in the game.
While I agree with some of what you're saying you have to admit they improved tackling a bit. I haven't seen any uninterruptible force field rolls by ball carriers and extra defenders actually attempt to hit the pile instead of just tripping over it. It's an improvement but they still have a ways to go .

# 86 jpdavis82 @ 06/24/15 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
While I agree with some of what you're saying you have to admit they improved tackling a bit. I haven't seen any uninterruptible force field rolls by ball carriers and extra defenders actually attempt to hit the pile instead of just tripping over it. It's an improvement but they still have a ways to go .
I'll be interested to see what you guys think once you've played the game a while. There's a lot left to be desired with these videos compared to what I have seen in person.

# 87 dkp23 @ 06/24/15 10:57 AM
Quote:
True gang tackling is in the game, I think it was the chiefs giants video that showed a pretty good example at the beginning of the video. Like Shop and Madscientist, Sim, Smitty, Azure, and myself all said tonight on the GC radio show, watching these videos does not do the game justice and you won't see everything in these short Youtube clips, have to play hours to see things. I played 35 hours and was still seeing new stuff in the last hour I played.
Gang tackling is in the game, i can see that now, whether it is true or not, is the issue. True to me are defenders converging on the ball carrier and each one can impact the play meaning one guy could be dragged as teh ball carrier keeps going then somebody from the side puts on a hit from the side and the ball carrier goes sideways. Or a baller carrier going straight up into two defenders adn teh defenders drive the ball carrier back, happens all the time in the NFL.

in these videos this is what i am seeing, the first one was very early in the pats/chiefs game where the baller carrier got hit by the 1st defender and three other defeners i think just jumped on and went for the ride, the other defenders had no impact on the play as the guy just kept going in the same direction. It looked canned.

Another example was the ball carrier made contact with first defender and was moving forward, the 2nd defender should of cleaned it up and drove the ball carrier back, but instead latched on and the baller carrier just fell forward not even grinding the legs for more yardage.

Is gang tackling in this game? Yes i can see that, all is needed is to have multiple defenders latch on via animation and its gang tackling. Does the gang tackling impact the play? Doesn't look like it so far if it does, it isn't obvious and is that true gang tackling?

So did EA explain the gang tackling mechanics? Is it organic because it doesn't look like it is, it is more canned. My guess is, a big chunk of gang tackling is canned animation. It has been long time with some instances of gang tackling in a madden game, so i get they are just starting on it, but gang tackling had been in football games since 2005 (the other game) while madden finally had some sort of gang tackling i think in 2011 or so then removed.

You guys played it, i didnt, i am only making an opinion based on video. Without any developer or technical background, but a major portion of the gang tackling in this game are canned animations from what i am seeing.

# 88 dkp23 @ 06/24/15 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Improved or not, gang tackling is more canned than anything from what i am seeing. The tackling system previously had no gang tackling, so adding any type of gang tackling would be considered an "improvement". Instead of defenders converging and impacting the play, i still see defenders release so another defender can go into animation.

The other game 10 years ago when i first played and i was impressed with gang tackling, we are in 2015 now, gang tackling is way off from where it needs to be and when will that change? Perhaps they could focus on gameplay more rather than create MUT 2.0. Dont get me started on communities either.

# 89 roadman @ 06/24/15 11:22 AM
Quote:
Improved or not, gang tackling is more canned than anything from what i am seeing. The tackling system previously had no gang tackling, so adding any type of gang tackling would be considered an "improvement". Instead of defenders converging and impacting the play, i still see defenders release so another defender can go into animation.

The other game 10 years ago when i first played and i was impressed with gang tackling, we are in 2015 now, gang tackling is way off from where it needs to be and when will that change? Perhaps they could focus on gameplay more rather than create MUT 2.0. Dont get me started on communities either.
MUT wasn't touched at all this year, so, not sure where that is coming from.

# 90 dkp23 @ 06/24/15 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
MUT wasn't touched at all this year, so, not sure where that is coming from.
draft champs, couldn't EA allow card drafting in MUT instead of creating a whole new mode?

Similar to hearthstone arena?

# 91 roadman @ 06/24/15 11:36 AM
Quote:
draft champs, couldn't EA allow card drafting in MUT instead of creating a whole new mode?

Similar to hearthstone arena?
Heck, I might even try draft champs, if it's interesting.

So, back to your gang tackling. I'm not sure if you saw Sim interview Rex, but he explains it very well in the video below. Start it at about the 1:12 time and go to about 4:50. It's organic and precanned combined.

# 92 ShaiLeGran @ 06/24/15 02:17 PM
Quote:
I'll be interested to see what you guys think once you've played the game a while. There's a lot left to be desired with these videos compared to what I have seen in person.
jpdavis82, based on what you have seen and played, how do you feel about Madden 16 at this point? Gameplay-wise, presentation, etcetera? And what are your dislikes about the game so far? Did you see any rain/snow improvements also? Thanks!

# 93 jpdavis82 @ 06/24/15 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaiLeGran
jpdavis82, based on what you have seen and played, how do you feel about Madden 16 at this point? Gameplay-wise, presentation, etcetera? And what are your dislikes about the game so far? Did you see any rain/snow improvements also? Thanks!
I'll be as happy as you guys, if not more, when they reveal more about presentation lol. Unfortunately I can't talk about it until then and I've gotten a lot of questions about presentation. As far as gameplay, there's a lot of info out there, but the E3 videos for the most part are telling a incomplete story about M16 gameplay. I haven't seen hardly any of the cool DB and S stuff in these videos like I did when I played. The Haden play is the only real example I can think of, but there's a lot of neat things the DB will do in 16. The E3 videos are showing almost exclusively the offensive side of the game but the defense has a lot going for it too. The latest video from Tico in my video thread is the closest thing I've seen to when I played, more balance and more defensive stops. My first game in CFM was 27-10 and I lost on all pro, I threw 7 INTs, mostly because I was trying to test the high point catches and so that should tell you guys you can't just high point all game.

# 94 ShaiLeGran @ 06/24/15 03:04 PM
When you say "as happy as you guys" you mean you are not aloud to talk about it, or because you havent seen any real improvements yet? I asked Clint on Twitter if there is another Twitch reveal like last year, so lets wait and see what he says. Thanks for the comments, we all appreciate it.

# 95 dkp23 @ 06/24/15 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Heck, I might even try draft champs, if it's interesting.

So, back to your gang tackling. I'm not sure if you saw Sim interview Rex, but he explains it very well in the video below. Start it at about the 1:12 time and go to about 4:50. It's organic and precanned combined.

Well, that explains it...When gang tackling happens, it is canned. From what i see in the vids the most amount of defenders that can impact a play is probably two which is hardly noticeable in the videos. Even with that, the 1st defender will release at times before the 2nd has an impacting animation instead of a combined effort. Any more defenders will have them latch on for the ride, but wont change the result of the 1st or maybe 2nd defender.

We'll see more when we actually get to play, but i dont see this being a tackling system that is true gang tackling right now. It is only gang tackling because the canned animation has more than two "making a play" when it really doesnt impact the result.

# 96 jpdavis82 @ 06/24/15 05:12 PM
Quote:
Well, that explains it...When gang tackling happens, it is canned. From what i see in the vids the most amount of defenders that can impact a play is probably two which is hardly noticeable in the videos. Even with that, the 1st defender will release at times before the 2nd has an impacting animation instead of a combined effort. Any more defenders will have them latch on for the ride, but wont change the result of the 1st or maybe 2nd defender.

We'll see more when we actually get to play, but i dont see this being a tackling system that is true gang tackling right now. It is only gang tackling because the canned animation has more than two "making a play" when it really doesnt impact the result.
The first play of this video contradicts what you just said and from someone who has actually played the game, you're wrong.

# 97 dkp23 @ 06/24/15 05:20 PM
Quote:
The first play of this video contradicts what you just said and from someone who has actually played the game, you're wrong.

He fell forward with a defender from behind and one in front who should of been able to stand him up and push him back while a third defender latched on for the ride and has no impact.

If that is an example of "true gang tackling" in this game, we shouldn't expect much.

# 98 jpdavis82 @ 06/24/15 05:24 PM
Quote:
He fell forward with a defender from behind and one in front who should of been able to stand him up and push him back while a third defender latched on for the ride and has no impact.

If that is an example of "true gang tackling" in this game, we shouldn't expect much.
Have a nice day, let me know what you think of the gang tackling once you have actually PLAYED the game. I'm done arguing with ignorance.

Here's another good example at 3:08, the first two defenders latch on and the 3rd, 4th, defenders jump on him and take him down. Turn on nfl network if you don't think that happens irl.

http://youtu.be/Telv9dcgvpU

# 99 kehlis @ 06/24/15 06:35 PM
Quote:
Have a nice day, let me know what you think of the gang tackling once you have actually PLAYED the game. I'm done arguing with ignorance.

Here's another good example at 3:08, the first two defenders latch on and the 3rd, 4th, defenders jump on him and take him down. Turn on nfl network if you don't think that happens irl.

http://youtu.be/Telv9dcgvpU
JP. You've been banned in the past for posts like this.

You need to either tone it down a bit or take a break at the keyboard.

# 100 jpdavis82 @ 06/24/15 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
JP. You've been banned in the past for posts like this.

You need to either tone it down a bit or take a break at the keyboard.
I'm good, no worries, we have our own opinions on the matter. I'm ok with this matter and won't make it worse.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.