Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Donny Moore, aka the ‘Madden Ratings Czar’, is leaving Electronic Arts as he will be “pursuing other interests.”

In an official statement on Twitter, Moore said, “After much thought & consideration, I have chosen to step away from @EASports & announce my retirement as the Madden Ratings Czar as I have opted to pursue other interests. I am especially grateful of the opportunity to rate players for some of the greatest fans in video games today. After 16 years, it is finally time to hang up the czar's mouse pad! #Czartirement"

For Moore, this ends a long tenure as the guy running the ratings and updates for Madden. Moore’s tenure spanned 16 years at EA Tiburon, which means he was easily one of the most tenured at that studio. There is no word yet on who will be replacing Moore, but we do expect an announcement soon.

The ratings position occupied by Moore has been a staple of Madden’s internet presence for years. Moore’s ratings oftentimes drew criticism, but the weekly ratings updates were always hugely anticipated by fans, despite what ire they may have drawn.

The ratings this year will likely still come in the same pacing as previous years, and it will be interesting to see if any differences in how much players move up and down the scale happens without Moore at the helm. We’ll certainly be watching it going forward!

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 SolidSquid @ 07/02/15 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crenk
can you tell me the two second version of how it improved the gameplay? Not doubting, I just have no experience with these ratings
Bigger difference between the players. Playing with or against a superstar feels like it vs. playing with some scrub

# 22 SolidSquid @ 07/02/15 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I got mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, I've felt for a while that the ratings system needed some fresh blood, or at least a new perspective, but this might not actually mean that's what's happening. You always run the risk that the replacement will be even worse.

I remember that article a while ago on the disconnect between what some developers wanted to do and what Donny wanted. As in Donny wanted to continue to expand the ratings to show greater difference between players, while others were completely at a loss as to why that was necessary.
I don't see anyway that his replacement is a single person. They have to come in with a ratings team. It's just too much work for one guy first of all and it becomes very arbitrary in the sense that just bc one person thinks a guy should be rated X his stats don't match up to it.

However we did go 16 years with just one guy doing the ratings so I could be wrong.

# 23 SageInfinite @ 07/02/15 01:55 PM
Madden will be Madden. Doesn't matter who stays or leaves. Wish the guy luck in whatever he moves onto.

# 24 jb12780 @ 07/02/15 01:57 PM
I wish Mr. Moore the best in his future endeavors.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

# 25 RACZILLA @ 07/02/15 02:13 PM
Donny is a great dude. Anyone in that role will catch a lot of flak because of how passionate people are about ratings. Sometimes we'd ask him about specific decisions and two things stuck out to me: 1) He was always willing to talk and back up his decision and 2) the dude really does know about as much as humanly possible about the players.

Also, Donny owns more NFL jerseys than anyone I've ever met. Just loves football. I know he'll be missed.

# 26 charter04 @ 07/02/15 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Bigger difference between the players. Playing with or against a superstar feels like it vs. playing with some scrub

Plus it plays less arcade like because 90% of the league isn't 90 or higher in speed ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 27 RACZILLA @ 07/02/15 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
I have never been a Donnie Moore fan. That being said, I won't put the blame on the ridiculous ratings that madden has traditionally had, on him. We all know that marketing plays a massive role in the ratings of players. There is very little objectivity with fans of the game. They all want their favorite players to be rated WAY higher than they should be. Marketing is well aware of the power of the ratings announcements and how much it does for the game. Like I said, I never felt he was all that good at what he did either, but it's not as much him as it is the "machine" there.

Also, I have zero faith that anything will change in this area. it will be business as usual most likely with someone else handling it. Good luck to the guy and hope he does something he enjoys.
I don't think there many examples where people say "hey, can you knock this dude down a little?" At one point there was a ratings forum (there might still be, not sure) for every team and people would generally go in there and do exactly what you're saying.

The marketing part seems off to me. That wasn't my experience at least.

# 28 fballturkey @ 07/02/15 03:42 PM
Short of reworking the entire system I doubt whoever takes over is going to do any better than Donny. He did very well with what he had to work with, which sounds like a backhanded compliment but I don't mean it that way. Hopefully next year they take this as an opportunity to do that and have hidden/fuzzy ratings and a new, realistic progression system.

# 29 RACZILLA @ 07/02/15 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
Well, from what Dan from FBG posted here a while back, he disclosed in his interview for a ratings job there that he would have to cater to marketing to make changes to ratings even if they weren't "right". That seems to be invasive to me, assuming Dan was telling the truth, and I don't see why he wouldn't be.
Gotcha. I've been out of the loop for some time so it's not super helpful for me to speculate, anyway. Just had that gut reaction to the post since we did a lot of stuff with ratings and it seemed unusual.

# 30 Iceman87GT @ 07/02/15 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crenk
can you tell me the two second version of how it improved the gameplay? Not doubting, I just have no experience with these ratings
The game plays more realistically the bummer is it doesn't work part year 1 in CFM because the Rookies come in with the regular rating system.

The FBG ratings are based on how the ratings actually work in Madden as opposed to having a ratings system that works but is hampered in an attempt to please fans and players. They also modify the tendencies which manages to create more diverse QB decisions (hopefully this aspect won't be necessary this year as they have touted an improvement in this department). .

With the way the rating system is actually set up top players should be in the high-80s, low-90s range with truly elite players at 95+ (I.e. the spread of ratings should look more like it does in MLB: The Show or even FIFA, where high-70s players are actually good despite our conditioning to think that's low).

I'd like to see them truly embrace a more diverse ratings spread (I don't think a new ratings system is necessary, considering the success that can be had by plugging in the FBG ratings), or at the very least evaluate players every other week instead of every week. Way too much fluctuation in ratings increases and decreases with how it's currently done, a bad day results in a ratings hit but a return to normal form the next week really results in a return to the original rating because normal performance isn't worth increasing stats over (except they should have been increased because they were penalized for an abnormal performance last week). One prime example of this is Mason Crosby, before 2012 he was seemingly automatic on anything inside 50 yards (he could hit it from 50+ yards but want add automatic, and he alwaysv had the leg but struggled with the angle), but he was rated a 79, then 2012 cane and he went into a slump and instead of realizing he was already underrated and was now playing like Madden said he does he got dropped even further down, and then in 2013 when he went on a 19+ make streak nothing happened, it wasn't until he posted a similar make streak this past year that he finally started to climb up in the ratings. I know you're thinking he's a kicker why does matter, but this is indicative of his other least players get ignored. Have a huge fantasy day? You're gonna get a ratings boost, have a bad day? you're going to get dropped, have an above average or 6+ weeks of play consistent with how you played before that bad day (or even a good day because players rarely get normalized after those either)? Sorry but you won't be returning back to where you were before unless you really wow some people.

# 31 DeuceDouglas @ 07/02/15 04:15 PM
Best of luck to Donny and whatever he decides to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
Short of reworking the entire system I doubt whoever takes over is going to do any better than Donny. He did very well with what he had to work with, which sounds like a backhanded compliment but I don't mean it that way. Hopefully next year they take this as an opportunity to do that and have hidden/fuzzy ratings and a new, realistic progression system.
I agree with this. It doesn't really matter who or how the ratings are done when seemingly there's little more than a handful of ratings that actually have a noticeable enough affect on gameplay. That being said though if they're reworking speed this year hopefully that means that other ratings reworks are on the agenda but who knows.

# 32 crenk @ 07/02/15 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
The game plays more realistically the bummer is it doesn't work part year 1 in CFM because the Rookies come in with the regular rating system.
It seems like all roads lead back to the need for us to edit ratings on every player at any point in our cfm.

Users could come up with some generic deduction of points from rookies in certain categories to bring them down to earth.

# 33 Playmakers @ 07/02/15 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Will be interesting to see what happens from here...I do not believe consolidating ratings would be good as it would just further make players the same; they need to utilize the ratings they have and give them true value, thus allowing for more diversity between players.
i agree....i think biggest issue with the ratings was the lack seperation amongst players

for example a small speed back often didn't have much seperation in his break tackle ability vs power back.

ea just never takes advantange of the full 0-100 ratings scale

# 34 DCEBB2001 @ 07/02/15 04:46 PM
Guys,

Just want to let the community know that I have already been contacted by EA today about "an open dialog" regarding my website's use at EA. We have a meeting set up for 16:30 EST on Monday. Details to come after that.

Dan

# 35 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/02/15 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
Guys,

Just want to let the community know that I have already been contacted by EA today about "an open dialog" regarding my website's use at EA. We have a meeting set up for 16:30 EST on Monday. Details to come after that.

Dan
Good Luck !!! Hope it turns out well...

# 36 jb12780 @ 07/02/15 04:50 PM
Quote:
Guys,

Dan
What website do you run?

# 37 sir psycho @ 07/02/15 04:54 PM
Quote:
Guys,

Dan
Awesome! Good luck

# 38 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/02/15 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
What website do you run?

http://www.fbgratings.com/members/

# 39 jb12780 @ 07/02/15 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Damn!

Good luck!

# 40 Oinkersthepig @ 07/02/15 04:59 PM
Quote:
Guys,

Dan
Good luck man. If I remember correctly you had contact with them before, but you guys couldn't come to an agreement or something along those lines.

Either way, playing the game with the FBG ratings is SO much better. I, along with various other members of this website put countless hours into bringing your rating system to the game by manually editing every player in the game. It was very tedious, but well worth it in the end.

I'm really hoping all goes well, this would be a HUGE change.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.