Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Donny Moore, aka the ‘Madden Ratings Czar’, is leaving Electronic Arts as he will be “pursuing other interests.”

In an official statement on Twitter, Moore said, “After much thought & consideration, I have chosen to step away from @EASports & announce my retirement as the Madden Ratings Czar as I have opted to pursue other interests. I am especially grateful of the opportunity to rate players for some of the greatest fans in video games today. After 16 years, it is finally time to hang up the czar's mouse pad! #Czartirement"

For Moore, this ends a long tenure as the guy running the ratings and updates for Madden. Moore’s tenure spanned 16 years at EA Tiburon, which means he was easily one of the most tenured at that studio. There is no word yet on who will be replacing Moore, but we do expect an announcement soon.

The ratings position occupied by Moore has been a staple of Madden’s internet presence for years. Moore’s ratings oftentimes drew criticism, but the weekly ratings updates were always hugely anticipated by fans, despite what ire they may have drawn.

The ratings this year will likely still come in the same pacing as previous years, and it will be interesting to see if any differences in how much players move up and down the scale happens without Moore at the helm. We’ll certainly be watching it going forward!

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/02/15 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkersthepig
Good luck man. If I remember correctly you had contact with them before, but you guys couldn't come to an agreement or something along those lines.

Either way, playing the game with the FBG ratings is SO much better. I, along with various other members of this website put countless hours into bringing your rating system to the game by manually editing every player in the game. It was very tedious, but well worth it in the end.

I'm really hoping all goes well, this would be a HUGE change.
I am one of the members here who has benefited from the work on both ends, Dan's ratings and your work putting together the rosters to be made available in the roster section...

I can honestly say the game plays soooo much better with Dan's ratings...

# 42 crenk @ 07/02/15 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
i agree....i think biggest issue with the ratings was the lack seperation amongst players

for example a small speed back often didn't have much seperation in his break tackle ability vs power back.

ea just never takes advantange of the full 0-100 ratings scale
Didnt someone say they have a minimum threshold that even if you put a guy at zero he is not actually a zero....see punters capable of playing as guards

# 43 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/02/15 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crenk
Didnt someone say they have a minimum threshold that even if you put a guy at zero he is not actually a zero....see punters capable of playing as guards
Yes...There is in fact a relatively small separation across the 0-100 scale..I believe in regards to speed, every 10 points is something like 0.30 of a second difference...That may not be exact but it shows how small the separation is..

# 44 D13 @ 07/02/15 05:29 PM
Good luck and good riddance to Donny.

Best news madden has released in years. Now get a guy who knows what he's doing in there and this game could become playable on the virtual field. Like others have stated before. Half this games problem is overrated players and the bloated number of players with the ratings that left most scratching their head.

# 45 kehlis @ 07/02/15 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D13
Good luck and good riddance to Donny.
You're not the first to say this so I'm not singling you out but this is the last time in this thread something like this will be said about Donny.

# 46 TheDominator273 @ 07/02/15 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Yes...There is in fact a relatively small separation across the 0-100 scale..I believe in regards to speed, every 10 points is something like 0.30 of a second difference...That may not be exact but it shows how small the separation is..
0.3 seconds is an eternity in a sprint which is what the speed rating meaaures

# 47 redsox4evur @ 07/02/15 05:55 PM
I'm not saying it won't happen but how do we know that Dan or the next guy won't have the constraints as Donny had?

# 48 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/02/15 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273
0.3 seconds is an eternity in a sprint which is what the speed rating meaaures
Yes I know, though acceleration is included in a sprint, which is another issue with MAdden, I was merely trying to give a simple example in stating that there is not much separation between 0 and 100...IF you look at the current ratings, speed difference between an OL and WR isn't really more than 10 to 20 points, which means, an offensive lineman is still running too fast...

So lets say it is 0.15 seconds for every 10 rating points...

# 49 iBMIKEB @ 07/02/15 06:02 PM
Big ups to DM and good luck!

# 50 fancyclaps @ 07/02/15 06:39 PM
Smells like a firing but they're letting him go with dignity.

# 51 CM Hooe @ 07/02/15 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyclaps
Smells like a firing but they're letting him go with dignity.
If I'm not mistaken, Donny's got a wife and a couple kids. Video game production is a grind of a business and can require insane hours to get the job done. He just as easily could be stepping away to spend more time with his family.

Let's not try to baselessly make this into something it isn't.

# 52 jfsolo @ 07/02/15 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
I'm not saying it won't happen but how do we know that Dan or the next guy won't have the constraints as Donny had?
It's highly likely that there will be some PR ratings for certain players as has been the case for a long time now, but the very fact that they have reached out to Dan gives hope that they are open to a more robust, versatile system.

Whoever gets the gig will have to accept that Marketing will be involved in the process to some extent.

# 53 kehlis @ 07/02/15 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Whoever gets the gig will have to accept that Marketing will be involved in the process to some extent.

That's his point.

Remember Adembroski? Very active OS member who had fantastic ideas and thoughts.

Got hired by EA, either left or was asked to leave a year later. Went on a long long Twitter rant and hasn't been heard of since.

# 54 oneamongthefence @ 07/02/15 07:12 PM
Quote:
It's highly likely that there will be some PR ratings for certain players as has been the case for a long time now, but the very fact that they have reached out to Dan gives hope that they are open to a more robust, versatile system.

They reached out to him before. I believe the 2 could work together and find a happy medium. Seems like Donny was mostly in favor of more spread out ratings and seemed real excited when they got stretched out in 2010. But then they had fan votes on rating changes and they ended up close together once again.

Best of luck to him and now hopefully he can watch as a fan and not a scout.

# 55 redsox4evur @ 07/02/15 07:15 PM
Quote:

Yea that's the point I was making...

# 56 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/02/15 07:20 PM
One issue that seems to be present in regards to ratings is how the CPU plays and it's ability to be competitive, as the CPU ability to compete is based on the current rating scale, as far as I have experienced; hopefully there is an easy programming fix if EA decides to go with Dan's rating's system; which I believe is the best ratings available..maybe default slider base effects would have to be adjusted?

# 57 charter04 @ 07/02/15 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
Guys,

Just want to let the community know that I have already been contacted by EA today about "an open dialog" regarding my website's use at EA. We have a meeting set up for 16:30 EST on Monday. Details to come after that.

Dan
This is music to my ears.

# 58 jfsolo @ 07/02/15 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Yea that's the point I was making...
Yeah, I was agreeing and hoping that the new person/people can find a way to deal with that reality, while still being able to make fundamental changes that enhance the gameplay greatly.

# 59 Oinkersthepig @ 07/02/15 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
That's his point.

Remember Adembroski? Very active OS member who had fantastic ideas and thoughts.

Got hired by EA, either left or was asked to leave a year later. Went on a long long Twitter rant and hasn't been heard of since.
Completely off topic but I'm actually friends with that dude. Still talk to him to this day. I've asked him about how all of that went down, but he's still honoring his NDA from working there and stuff. I remember the article written about him being fired, and the way they portrayed him is absolutely nothing like how he is in real life. I never worked with him though so I can't say either way.

He did tell me that whoever was in charge, was in charge. That he worked with a small group of people and that the dude in charge of the group was incompetent and thats why they never seemed to get enough done.

That was all years ago though, and I really like the direction the game is going now. Not trying to start anything against the dev team or anything like that, because I really like what they're doing.

So yeah, nothing productive there, just a fun fact I've been sitting on for a while.

# 60 fballturkey @ 07/02/15 08:12 PM
It's anecdotal, but I've always noticed a bigger difference at the top of the scale than in the middle. So there's a bigger difference between 94 and 99 than 60 and 70. Could be wrong though.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.