Home
NBA Live 16 News Post

EA has posted a new blog detailing four key gameplay upgrades to NBA Live 16. The article talks a lot about animations, in fact NBA Live 16 will feature over 8,000 new ones.

Smoother Dribbling

Fans will notice many small changes to gameplay in NBA LIVE 16 that improve ball handling – including dribble handoffs. “It’s a huge part of the NBA and it’s a new mechanic that’s going to open up so many different opportunities on the court,” says producer Connor Dougan.

There are also new driving animations with a smoother and more responsive dribble system in NBA LIVE 16. “We’ve been building tech for over two years now that serves as the foundation for what we will deliver in NBA LIVE 16,” says executive producer Sean O’Brien.

Sharper Passing

That technology allows for better ball movement, which is vital for success on the court. Swing the ball around the perimeter and find the open man for a corner-three with Touch Passing. “You’ll have the ability to square up on the catch for a catch-and-shot with no delay, and smooth animation,” says Dougan.

Animations have also been polished across the board. “We’ve run more mo-cap shoots this year than any other basketball game I’ve ever worked on,” says senior designer Ryan Santos.

However it’s not just more mo-cap that matters, but the type of mo-cap. “We’re playing a lot of 5-on-5 and just letting the talent play hoops. We then grab the motion we need from that to get a much more natural look.”

Off-Ball Movement and Live Motion

The focus on improving animations in NBA LIVE 16 went well beyond sharper passing.

“We’ve added thousands of new animations with LIVE Motion,” says Dougan. In total, there are over 8,000 new animations in NBA LIVE 16, which add up to make off-ball movement more realistic.

“Players are physical and aware of each other,” adds Dougan. “You can bump cutters, swim around players and deny the ball. There’s a lot more physicality.”

Building with Community Feedback

“This team listens to player feedback religiously,” says O’Brien. “We pride ourselves on it.”

Everything starts with what fans tell the team about their game, and the group at Tiburon is focused on delivering the most realistic basketball experience to those who love NBA LIVE.

“This game isn’t being built for us,” says O’Brien. “It’s being built for our fans.”

Source - EA

Game: NBA Live 16Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 4 - View All
NBA Live 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 iLLWiLL @ 07/11/15 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
How do 2k's player models have to do with Live's though?

Allow Live to stand on its own two feet, these "but 2k isn't perfect either" responses every time a valid concern is brought up is just silly.
Yeah, because the sentiment I was trying to convey was Live 16's graphics are perfect and can't be outdone nor improved.

You calling another poster's humble opinion "silly" is just silly. Behindshadows pointed out something about Live's graphics that I just am not seeing. What was anatomically-incorrect was about Thomas' arm??? Nitpicking so that minute details is one thing, but seeing something that's simply not there is another

# 42 The 24th Letter @ 07/11/15 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
Yeah, because the sentiment I was trying to convey was Live 16's graphics are perfect and can't be outdone nor improved.

You calling another poster's humble opinion "silly" is just silly. Behindshadows pointed out something about Live's graphics that I just am not seeing. What was anatomically-incorrect was about Thomas' arm??? Nitpicking so that minute details is one thing, but seeing something that's simply not there is another

Honestly I'm wasn't sure what you were trying to convey....simply saying you disagreed and why would've made a lot more sense, since BS made no reference to the "competitor" at all. Using 2k's deficiencies as a crutch is the only thing I called silly...

I actually agree that the player models in Live look good, only issue I have with them is guys are a little too ripped...that's just my personal opinion....

# 43 iLLWiLL @ 07/11/15 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Honestly I'm wasn't sure what you were trying to convey....simply saying you disagreed and why would've made a lot more sense, since BS made no reference to the "competitor" at all. Using 2k's deficiencies as a crutch is the only thing I called silly...

I think these forums get a little too uptight with comparisons. I mean, I get that some people will take it too far and turn it into a 2k vs. EA war. But cmon, we have to use phrases like "the competitor's game" because things are so touchy here -- then people still make an issue of it

# 44 The 24th Letter @ 07/11/15 07:30 PM
Quote:
I think these forums get a little too uptight with comparisons. I mean, I get that some people will take it too far and turn it into a 2k vs. EA war. But cmon, we have to use phrases like "the competitor's game" because things are so touchy here -- then people still make an issue of it

Maybe I missed something, but that "other game", "other guy" "competitor" stuff is unnecessary. I don't remember seeing where that is a requirement. I call 2k by its name all the time here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We actually have an entire forum where we can make direct comparisons. We can also make sensible comparisons in this forum when applicable....but doing things like responding to every complaint with Live by bringing up 2k is where issues come up.

I won't derail the thread any more though....just had to speak on it

# 45 seanhazz1 @ 07/13/15 11:34 AM
Quote:
At any time when you visit the Operation Sports forums, 2K readers outnumber every other forum. They outnumber Madden, and outnumber LIVE readers/fans 10-1 on any given day easily. For every one live guy you have comparing the two, you'll have on average ten 2k guys making the opposite comparison across the forums. That is the reason the backlash for comparing the two games is so swift, its just numbers tied to 2K's success and LIVE's bad history. Hopefully Live 16 will bring a slight swing in forum numbers and sales towards LIVE 16, erasing more of the disparity of successes between the two games, and offering two great games of digital basketball.

Personally I am rooting for LIVE and EA, as this is where it all started for me. From Dr. J vs. Larry Bird on PC (EA), to NBA Showdown (EASPORTS on SNES) to LIVE 95 and Coach K, to the current NBA LIVE 14-16 releases. The progress and attempted resurgence of the franchise has been exciting to watch, and I want to believe we won't be holding our collective ankles after this year's release.

# 46 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 07/14/15 07:30 PM
Just hope none of these animations translate to me losing control of my player

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.