Home
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR News Post

The Rory McIlroy PGA Tour download on EA Access is now available. You will have 10 hours of gameplay time before the game 'locks', forcing you to buy the full version.

Be sure to post your impressions of the game, and share your videos and screenshots!

For those of you not getting the game tonight, Chase Becotte is capturing footage for Operation Sports. Let him know in this thread if there's something in particular you want to see! You should start to see videos on the site tomorrow.

Game: Rory McIlroy PGA TOURReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 121 OnlookerDelay @ 07/09/15 05:28 AM
I got into career mode after creating a golfer (the create a golfer options are very limited, BTW and I couldn't come up with anything remotely close to resembling myself). I played a few abbreviated web.com events in Tour Pro difficulty. There's a lack of feel in the swing interface that I can't quite put my finger on. There just doesn't seem to be any inertial forces at work with it. It might be due to the fact that there's a HUD device that tells you when to stop your backswing to attain your targeted carry with the shot. I never felt like I was swinging a club, it was more like modulating a spigot to fill up a glass of water (the backswing meter fills from the center to its outer dimensions as you pull the stick back further).

On the plus side, there does seem to be some reasonable effects from tempo. The swing feedback will tell you how many percent over or under the "Perfect" tempo (which it will report as perfect if you nailed it) and it's easy to make some sensibly scaled errors with this, which I like. Most of my misses in two hours of play have been because I was over or under the desired tempo.

I've seen a number of complaints about the lack of feel in the putting and I can see where it's coming from. I'm dissatisfied with the way the putting is implemented in this game so far. It's a matter of "dial in your desired distance you want to hit the putt, pull the stick back until the swing feedback meter fills to it's outer dimension, and follow through with a reasonable tempo. If the fill color changes from green to red/burnt orange, you've overswung and you need to stop the swing and re-load. I need to look for a way to turn this swing feedback meter off because I'm sure the putting would be a lot harder without it. The putts seem to underbreak in this game, and because my senses are attuned to the degree of break we have in TGC, most of my misses in RMPGAT are because I'm overplaying the break.

I don't know if 10 hours is enough to allow this game to unfold into what it could eventually become as my attributes build, but at this point I'm not all that optimistic about the game. At least I have the sense that it's a work in progress and could eventually evolve into something greater. I'm curious now to see how the PS4 version compares to the XB1 version, especially in terms of resolution... I just can't get the graininess of the XB1 version's graphics out of my mind, even though the game has an overall "organic" look... it's really strange!?

# 122 MHammer113 @ 07/09/15 06:46 AM
I have yet to play the game but I have read through this entire thread and obviously I am disappointed and now second guessing the idea of purchasing this game. What I would love to see from EA is the commitment to making several updates that will improve gameplay, options, and settings. No one is going to care about the lack of golf courses if the game is not very good. I hate to bring this up, but The Golf Club has made several great leaps with their updates so there is hope, but I am really hoping EA has some announcements coming up.

# 123 Millennium @ 07/09/15 07:12 AM
Wow, came into this thread expecting so see what I saw, and only reading negative. Just not getting it.

I'm in love. The game looks gorgeous (there are areas where the graphics re-draw in, but I'm not noticing framerate drops at all).

I set up to Tour swing with all the aids turned off (still used Shot Shaping because that actually makes the game harder by changing the plane of your swing in order to use draw/fade). Felt like there was strategy on the holes.

My theory on why people are not missing left/right (and I'm only on Normal swing difficulty right now): No one cares about the distance of their clubs. I was having a hell of a time getting a Perfect on the foreswing, but as soon as I started trying harder the ball ended up sailing left and right on me.

On the Tour swing type, I had no issues with the putt interface. The different cameras are going to make turning the grid off a reality, so very excited to get to that point.

Love the courses. Played Paracel Storm on a whim and while it is definitely a fantasy course (and a Par 3), it was a fun round of golf. Played both of the 'realistic' fantasy course and was very impressed. Again - some foliage redraw at times, but not enough to hinder my impression.

Atmosphere was also awesome. Crowds sound good (which takes away the dead feeling of some golf games) and commentary, while I'm sure will get repetitive like most sports games, was helpful and even funny at times.

Played an online match with ChaseB - Wasn't a fan of the lack of commentary or the crowd noise being gone. You can see the other golfer if they are far enough away from you, or you just see their ball. You have a timer (somewhere around 2:30) to play each hole. Would definitely had been better with party chat going.

I was streaming for ~50 people last night and most were impressed by what they saw for the most part. My few hours with it confirmed my want to preorder without a doubt.

# 124 CujoMatty @ 07/09/15 07:15 AM
Ugh I dunno. After a few rounds I'm definitely disappointed. The create a golfer options are so bad it's almost disturbing. Huge lack of customizable items. I could only see generic or Nike shoes for example. Putting is really lame. Shots like others say are way too easy to hit straight. Pro camera is pointless because it's impossible to see your ball. Graphics are good but there is plenty of draw in issues on cut scenes where bushes just appear out of no where. Golfer reactions to shots are too exaggerated. Commentary is good though and I do like how you can set the outfits you were for each day in tour mode. I dunno I think I might pass which is sad because I was sure I was picking this up.

# 125 CujoMatty @ 07/09/15 07:37 AM
For the love............. my player just hit a 3 foot par putt and did the robot to celebrate. What...uhhh...I mean......ugh I don't get it. Never ever ever have I seen that watching golf on TV.

# 126 fsufan4423 @ 07/09/15 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Played an online match with ChaseB - You can see the other golfer if they are far enough away from you, or you just see their ball.
I wish this was like real golf where you can see all golfers on the tee, and you had to play your turn. This feature was Hot Shots golf on the PS Vita for goodness sake.

At least have an option for it. Correct me if I misunderstood you on this.

# 127 DivotMaker @ 07/09/15 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_OS
Played 3 rounds. sawgrass .. Looked great.. Commentary has defiantly improved! .. One thing that bothered me. I was at 17 and over hit the ball and the commentators said "he over hit it" . Well I saved the sot with back spin and put it within 3 feet if the hole. The crowd was dead silent.....um.. Hello? .. Played a battlefield course next.. All holes are par 3's.. Nothing crazy happened and it was meh to me... Then played the Grand Canyon.. This one was much harder.. Several times when I over hit the ball the game kinda glitched out and would just focus on the player and not the ball..... At this point the game does not feel done at all. Hoping for a big day one patch, otherwise this is a 6.5 out of 10 at best... Kinda bummed, this thing needs more time in the oven for some plish for sure!
Scary that 2+ years was not enough.....

# 128 Millennium @ 07/09/15 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsufan4423
I wish this was like real golf where you can see all golfers on the tee, and you had to play your turn. This feature was Hot Shots golf on the PS Vita for goodness sake.

At least have an option for it. Correct me if I misunderstood you on this.
I didn't see an option, but this is the way golf games are going in order to shorten the games.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

# 129 BagMan @ 07/09/15 07:58 AM
For those finding it too easy to hit the ball straight, try switching thumb sticks.

I normally swing with right thumb and find it really easy, but switched to left thumb stick in settings and now I'm all over the place!

# 130 pencerm @ 07/09/15 08:06 AM
Jealous of you guys with Early Access. I have two questions..

1) Do you think there's a guy out there somewhere who makes his decisions on whether to buy a game solely based on the comments on OS?

Follow up question..

2) When do you think the last time he bought a video game was?

# 131 pk500 @ 07/09/15 08:16 AM
It's a sad commentary on the state of console golf games that TW 11 and 12 and Links 2003 for the original Xbox still represent the best of the genre. If Rory was the latest edition of FIFA or Madden, people would scream to the high heavens that this edition was a regression.

Golf fans yearn so much for a solid console title that I think many warts are being tolerated. This game is pretty. It has a strong sense of immersion. But it's not a good representation of the sport on the turfgrass, from my first impression. I have Frostbite -- because this game is leaving me cold.

EA Access pays off again, saving me dineros in the long run.

# 132 ps3veron @ 07/09/15 08:31 AM
Wow you guys are a tough crowd!

But here are my thoughts anyway:

Bearing in mind I play "army golf" in real life (left, left, right left!), played golf games for some time (first was Jack Nicklaus Signature on the PC), I quite like it. I had a session with arcade controls (which I think is fun and that's the basis of sports gaming for me) and yes it does feel a little easy and the putting is like its on autopilot sometimes but darn it its fun!

The graphics are absolutely phenomenal, they got butterflies and squirrels and the water is just so pretty! The presentation is up there with the best sports titles but the "celebrations" are a little annoying. Every time you hit a shot, your player does these gestures which are a little OTT (IMO).

The courses are limited yes but the level of detail is insane. The bad: player customization is a embarrassing. You dont even get beards as an option (so much for my Khal Drogo winning TPC!), its just really shallow and you'd think with these so called next gen consoles they'd at least give us beards, I want my bearded barbarian!

Other than that, like someone else said it feels like the last NHL or EA UFC. Its a new title, its their first entry its not as deep as the TW series but you should get it because its fun and is sim enough for me. 7/10!

# 133 Beelzebot44 @ 07/09/15 08:34 AM
The game looks great, but honestly as an owner of TGC I was pretty much only hyped about the added immersion of creating myself (gameface on previous versions was amazing) and going through a career. But the player creator is so laughably bad it completely removes that. You get 11 faces, most of which don't even look like a real person, I think six hairstyles, and some different skin tones. That's it. Not even facial hair. At least 99% of people who try won't be able to make anyone that even passably looks like them. It's pathetic.

And the career mode is very underwhelming so far. No calendar, no events... basically it's just a series of rounds. I think I'm skipping this until/unless major updates are made. It doesn't offer much that TGC doesn't at this point outside looks.

# 134 pencerm @ 07/09/15 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebot44
The game looks great, but honestly as an owner of TGC I was pretty much only hyped about the added immersion of creating myself (gameface on previous versions was amazing) and going through a career. But the player creator is so laughably bad it completely removes that. You get 11 faces, most of which don't even look like a real person, I think six hairstyles, and some different skin tones. That's it. Not even facial hair. At least 99% of people who try won't be able to make anyone that even passably looks like them. It's pathetic.

And the career mode is very underwhelming so far. No calendar, no events... basically it's just a series of rounds. I think I'm skipping this until/unless major updates are made. It doesn't offer much that TGC doesn't at this point outside looks.
I've never really cared too much about making someone who looks like me, although no facial hair is a bit absurd. Have you had a chance to look at clothing, equipment, etc.? How is the selection there? I do like to change my apparel often to it doesn't get stale looking at the same thing in career mode.

# 135 Beelzebot44 @ 07/09/15 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencerm
I've never really cared too much about making someone who looks like me, although no facial hair is a bit absurd. Have you had a chance to look at clothing, equipment, etc.? How is the selection there? I do like to change my apparel often to it doesn't get stale looking at the same thing in career mode.
There are a bunch of choices there, but most of them are locked right now until I level up in my career. You do get the option of four outfits, one for each day of the tournament, which is pretty cool.

# 136 Barto @ 07/09/15 09:03 AM
Okay, so i've read some more reviews this morning on Reddit and it appears a lot of complaining is going on about the graphics being meh at best. Is it possible the trial version doesn't have the same graphic quality as the final retail version. The trial version is 26gb, so i suppose the final retail version could be bigger and also have a few more bells and whistles.

I've never seen or played an EA early access game, so i have nothing to compare it to in regards to the final retail release.

# 137 sbauer318 @ 07/09/15 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
Okay, so i've read some more reviews this morning on Reddit and it appears a lot of complaining is going on about the graphics being meh at best. Is it possible the trial version doesn't have the same graphic quality as the final retail version. The trial version is 26gb, so i suppose the final retail version could be bigger and also have a few more bells and whistles.

I've never seen or played an EA early access game, so i have nothing to compare it to in regards to the final retail release.
This trial is supposed to be a time limited full game.

There could always be a patch I guess

# 138 Beelzebot44 @ 07/09/15 09:17 AM
From what I understand, the EA Access trials are the full game.

# 139 pencerm @ 07/09/15 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto

I've seen everything from "the game looks beautiful" to "the game looks average at best." I've seen everything from "the gameplay is so fluid and great" to "the gameplay is arcadey, has no touch, and is too easy." So at this point I'll just wait for July 14th and decide for myself. I'm not nearly as picky as most people on here. I've had lots of fun with every Tiger Woods game. Every last one of them. I don't imagine this will be any different so long as they add plenty of courses.

# 140 alangst @ 07/09/15 09:29 AM
A few thoughts while I'm downloading...

I'm just curious if the overall freedom and constant updates and tuning for TheGolfClub have ruined this title for alot of people. People also need to remember that TGC wasn't a great product at launch either.

This brings me to my second point... With the addition of another course being added in Sept for free (even if its already available for preorders), is there any chance EA keeps interest in this game and gives us more patches, gameplay updates, and even more courses. I've heard they did something similar to this with a UFC title.

And back to TGC....have they implemented there $10 season mode download yet? I've actually been playing lots of real golf, so i've been off of the TGCtours for awhile.

Thanks everyone for all the updates and critiques.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.