Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

The settlement in the Ed O'Bannon case has been approved by Judge Claudia Wilken, at a sum total of $60 million.

Quote:
"A judge granted approval a $60 million settlement of several class-action lawsuits relating to video game makers using the names, images and likenesses of college football and men's college basketball players.

U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken approved a $60 million payment to the players on Thursday and said that any student-athlete who wants in on the claim must file by July 31. Objectors to the settlement have 30 days to appeal once Wilken finalizes the approval.

“It's a landmark day,” an attorney for the plaintiffs, Steve Berman said to USA Today. “It's the first time student-athletes will get paid for use of their name, image and likeness—and we’re anxious to get the settlement funds to the students.”

More than 20,000 claims were filed by original July 2 deadline and some players will receive a maximum of $7,200, which can be handed out as early as September, depending on the pace of the appeals."

Obviously this was not unexpected, this was the next step in the process to finalizing the case and clearing it out of the way. There is a 30-day objection waiting period before the funds can begin to be handed out. The most interesting note from the settlement is that current college players will be paid for their likenesses used in previous games and their eligibility will not be affected from that payment, which will mark a first for collegiate sports.

As far as the future and what this means for any eventual return of college sports games, it is one more hurdle that is cleared. The big one will be the NCAA formalizing a process where players can be paid for their likenesses in video games -- but its not clear if there is much of a push for that at the present time. Any such changes would have to almost certainly be approved at the NCAA general convention in January, but you'd likely hear of plans to bring it up and vote on it before then.

The best case scenario is that all of the stars and moons align, and the legal structures are put in place for a 2017 return for college games, as anything before that seems rather unlikely. Even a 2017 return is unlikely, but it would be the most likely earliest time period you could expect anything.

Update: Late last night, the NCAA decided to file for a stay in the injunction on the O'Bannon case. What this means is that they have decided that they are going to take this case to the highest court (Supreme Court) if need be, thus tying up the suit and the awards being offered for at least a couple more years. If the case gets to the Supreme Court, it'd get there either in 2016 or 2017 -- which means anything I wrote above about college games being possible with a decision from the NCAA is now moot since the case will be tied up for awhile longer. The settlement payments are still going out from EA/CLC however. The prospect of litigation being settled was a crucial step...but now that it is indeed not -- we're back to waiting for litigation to be settled. Viva la NCAA Football 14?

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Sheba2011 @ 07/19/15 07:27 AM
This will be tied up in the courts for the next 5-10 years before any payments are ever made. Don't expect to see an NCAA football game anytime soon.

# 22 aholbert32 @ 07/19/15 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
This will be tied up in the courts for the next 5-10 years before any payments are ever made. Don't expect to see an NCAA football game anytime soon.
No it wont. They've already argued in front of the appeals court. A decision from the appeals court will take place sometime this year or early next year.

The next step would be the Supreme Court. If they accept the case (which isnt a guarantee), they will here the case in 2017 or 2018. This is the worst case scenario.

The best case scenario is the NCAA loses the initial appeal, it settles the case and implements a stipend for each student-athlete to receive in relation to its likeness.

# 23 Apollo @ 07/19/15 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathersports20
By reading this looks like they already working on the next game. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/g...-game/2530157/
That article is from 2013

# 24 fmw32 @ 07/19/15 06:22 PM
Damn that means I'll never see a NCAA football game again DAMMIT!

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

# 25 aholbert32 @ 07/19/15 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw32
Damn that means I'll never see a NCAA football game again DAMMIT!

Do u plan on dying in the next 5 yrs? I could see EA releasing one in the next 5 yrs.

# 26 fmw32 @ 07/19/15 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Do u plan on dying in the next 5 yrs? I could see EA releasing one in the next 5 yrs.
Not if they're gonna have to pay the players? They'll have no reason to make the game now. Even of they do the game won't be the same.

# 27 redsox4evur @ 07/19/15 09:41 PM
Quote:
Not if they're gonna have to pay the players? They'll have no reason to make the game now. Even of they do the game won't be the same.

You realize that the the NCAA players are trying to form a union? So it would turn out to be the same as Madden and the NFLPA where they pay a certain fee to the PA. If they do form a union obviously.

# 28 fmw32 @ 07/20/15 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
You realize that the the NCAA players are trying to form a union? So it would turn out to be the same as Madden and the NFLPA where they pay a certain fee to the PA. If they do form a union obviously.
Yeah but will they pay that fee is the question

# 29 Sheba2011 @ 07/20/15 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
I think they could get away customization as long as the likenesses are as far away from a true player's likeness. Because wasn't the whole lawsuit filed because the likenesses that came out of the box were too real or I am not remembering correctly?
Part of the judges ruling of finding against EA, was that EA allowed users to recreate and share the actual rosters of NCAA teams. If they do have a game and thats a big If, customization will be very very limited.

# 30 Sheba2011 @ 07/20/15 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
No it wont. They've already argued in front of the appeals court. A decision from the appeals court will take place sometime this year or early next year.

The next step would be the Supreme Court. If they accept the case (which isnt a guarantee), they will here the case in 2017 or 2018. This is the worst case scenario.

The best case scenario is the NCAA loses the initial appeal, it settles the case and implements a stipend for each student-athlete to receive in relation to its likeness.
I'll come back here in 2017 and 2018 and we will see if those payments were made yet. I am willing to bet we won't see an NCAA game in that time frame either. I would love to be wrong but I just can't see it happening.

# 31 mjavon @ 07/20/15 09:53 AM
Quote:
Yeah but will they pay that fee is the question

I believe EA has already said that they would. But the NCAA has never allowed them to due to their amateurism rules.

# 32 fmw32 @ 08/02/15 06:39 AM
As long as I can make my custom playbook I'm fine

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.