Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

EA Sports has released more Madden NFL 16 ratings. Below are the top 5 running backs in Madden NFL 16, more ratings on these players can be seen here.
  • Marshawn Lynch (96 OVR)
  • Adrian Peterson (95 OVR)
  • Jamaal Charles (94 OVR)
  • DeMarco Murray (94 OVR)
  • Le'Veon Bell (94 OVR)
Previously released Madden NFL 16 player ratings:

Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 msdm27 @ 07/21/15 04:07 PM
For all the claims about wanting a SIM game, I'm sorry but this is where things just don't add up to me. Making rosters that properly reflect player skills should not be a long term project; heck, if they want to keep making their arcade-themed ratings so be it, but at least show some consistency!

EA clearly makes these ratings on a whim... There is no logic or thought behind. Set aside the discussion of what should determine a player's speed and accept the fact that EA uses 40 time for this... How come 40 times don't reflect a dude's speed?????

I'm sorry, and I hope this doesn't come off as the type of post that leads to a warning, but they just don't know how to do things. They decide a random overall rating first, and then try to manipulate the ratings to fit said overall.

Their idea of tweaking speed was just lowering for everyone with no rhyme or reason; and let's not start on how they artificially lower rookie ratings by giving them awful awareness, basically guaranteeing they'll all be studs by year two of a CFM.

If they read the threads, how come they rarely chime in when stuff like this happens? Why can't anyone at EA explain the "logic" behind the ratings?

# 42 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/15 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastajav
So what you're saying is Gordon should be 87 -88 spd? You didnt answer my question then about it being justified then. And it doesnt end the debate like you wanted it to.
I was trying to end the debate? What? I LOVE these debates! Please, don't end them!

What I am saying is that Gordon's speed, and everyone's speed, should be based on data that is more accurate than 40 times. I don't know what those SPD rating numbers should be, but I can guess that right now that they are not accurate. Using the split times, you can calculate the exact path that every player should be running in the game. It's a very simple thing to do if you know some calculus.

Using the system that I use, I can tell you this, and maybe this gets to what you are wanting to know (I actually don't recall you asking a particular question, just using some sarcasm based on who you think is faster).

Since speed is defined as maximum velocity, here are the maximum velocities for the players I recall you mentioning. All numbers are in yards/second.

Order by top speed:
Fowler: 11.34 in 2.64 sec
Peterson: 11.22 in 3.99 sec
Charles: 11.14 in 4.30 sec
Murray: 11.07 in 3.32 sec
Lynch: 10.98 in 4.05 seconds
Gordon: 10.85 in 2.99 sec
Beasley: 10.72 in 3.13 sec
Gurley: 10.69 in 3.36 sec

Order by acceleration:

If EA rated players properly, Dante Fowler would be faster and have better ACC than all of these RBs. However, his stamina would be a lot worse. He is like a firecracker when he runs - he gets up to a fast speed really quickly, but he slows down very quickly after reaching that top speed. On the other extreme, Jamaal Charles gets up to a pretty quick speed but his endurance is fantastic, so after 40 yards, he will start to really pull away from his competition. Peterson and Lynch are similar to Charles. They take a little more time to get up to top speed, but they don't fall off as much as those a DE/LB in pursuit like Fowler.

I know that it seems kinda hard to believe, but anyone can do this math. Plug in the splits and differentiate.

# 43 msdm27 @ 07/21/15 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I was trying to end the debate? What? I LOVE these debates! Please, don't end them!

What I am saying is that Gordon's speed, and everyone's speed, should be based on data that is more accurate than 40 times. I don't know what those SPD rating numbers should be, but I can guess that right now that they are not accurate. Using the split times, you can calculate the exact path that every player should be running in the game. It's a very simple thing to do if you know some calculus.

Using the system that I use, I can tell you this, and maybe this gets to what you are wanting to know (I actually don't recall you asking a particular question, just using some sarcasm based on who you think is faster).

Since speed is defined as maximum velocity, here are the maximum velocities for the players I recall you mentioning. All numbers are in yards/second.

Order by top speed:

Order by acceleration:

If EA rated players properly, Dante Fowler would be faster and have better ACC than all of these RBs. However, his stamina would be a lot worse. He is like a firecracker when he runs - he gets up to a fast speed really quickly, but he slows down very quickly after reaching that top speed. On the other extreme, Jamaal Charles gets up to a pretty quick speed but his endurance is fantastic, so after 40 yards, he will start to really pull away from his competition. Peterson and Lynch are similar to Charles. They take a little more time to get up to top speed, but they don't fall off as much as those a DE/LB in pursuit like Fowler.

I know that it seems kinda hard to believe, but anyone can do this math. Plug in the splits and differentiate.
Dan, do you have a tool or formula to convert your ratings to Madden-style ratings? As in rating every player closer to 100

# 44 Godgers12 @ 07/21/15 04:18 PM
So since Lynch is 85 spd Lacy will be like 83 spd. But I have a feeling they changed the scaling so 92 os just as fast as 98. Wouldn't surprise me.

# 45 khaliib @ 07/21/15 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastajav
With Rookie LBs like Fowler and Beasly still recieving 86-88 spd, is EA trying to kill the run game. RBs will run down from behind by DE's and LBs all day
Not necessary true, "Pursuit" is the catch-up/hawk down speed for defense.
It superceeds both SPD and ACC.

Default rosters always comes with exagerated numbers here, especially DE and LB's.

Draft Class Pursuit runs low 65 to high 75'ish on average (still too high though) for most.

# 46 kastajav @ 07/21/15 04:21 PM
Quote:
Order by top speed:

Order by acceleration:
Thank you very much for the detailed response. These charts and numbers are fantastic. So according to your numbers, if ea was to follow the true numbers, Lynch is really getting the hose by receiving 85 speed. He should be faster than Gurley, Beasley, Gordon but is actually quite a few spd points lower. Gordon/Gurley shouldn't be as fast as anyone listed above but are faster than all except Jamaal.

Im hoping that EA just didnt put the rookies on the same scale as the vets and fix this soon to incorporate a fair ratings system throughout.

# 47 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/15 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdm27
Dan, do you have a tool or formula to convert your ratings to Madden-style ratings? As in rating every player closer to 100
What do you mean by every player closer to 100? 100% accurate?

I have a methodology that allows me to derive these ratings accurately for every player on the FBG Ratings page. I can't get into details on how I do this (for proprietary reasons) but I can assure you that every rating I post has valid data behind it. Nothing is pulled out of thin air.

# 48 scottyp180 @ 07/21/15 04:27 PM
Am I seeing things or is lynch performing the same controversial "celebration" that he was fined for last season? I can't imagine the NFL would be cool with this as they are always so adamant about keeping a clean image.

# 49 khaliib @ 07/21/15 04:48 PM
Quote:
Sure:

Charles reached a top velocity of 11.14 yds/second but did it at the 4.30 second mark, shortly before his 40 was completed. So Charles would have slower ACC, but higher SPD than Gordon.

Also, Charles dropoff in speed is very, very rare. His sprint endurance is elite, which speaks to why he was also a sprinter in college. The guy just doesn't slow down. I would be willing to bet that Charles breaks his big runs not because he is a ton faster than everyone else, but because he doesn't fall off as much as everyone else after 40 yards. It's pretty cool to see this.
And this is were most people exagerate the drop off (speed specifically) in Madden by "raising" the STAMINA Slider.

Understanding that every move has been weighted to regress stamina during a given play, the stamina rating has been weighted to negatively impact ratings during that same play, which impacts animations to be performed.

Now that 90'ish speed has been reduced to in the 80's after 1-2 moves by the ball carrier because of the regressive weight of stamina.

Because the defensive side doesn't suffer from the same negative weight, the "Pursuit" rating is maintained over a longer distance, giving the perception/animation of catching up to the ball carrier.

Guys like J. Charles must have 99 Stamina Rating because of how EA exagerates the Stamina rating (80-90) for Draft Classes, if we don't want them to fall off so fast (speed wise).

# 50 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/15 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
And this is were most people exagerate the drop off (speed specifically) in Madden by "raising" the STAMINA Slider.

Understanding that every move has been weighted to regress stamina during a given play, the stamina rating has been weighted to negatively impact ratings during that same play.

Now that 90'ish speed has been reduced to in the 80's after 1-2 moves by the ball carrier because of the regressive weight of stamina.

Because the defensive side doesn't suffer from the same negative weight, the "Pursuit" rating is maintained over a longer distance, giving the perception/animation of catching up to the ball carrier.

Guys like J. Charles must have 99 Stamina Rating because of how EA exagerates the Stamina rating (80-90) for Draft Classes, if we don't want them to fall of so fast (speed wise).
Agree 100%.

Using those split times, you can effectively make every player run the path they are supposed to run, accurately. All the players will accelerate and decelerate according to what the data suggests. In this way, you really only need three numbers (the three splits) to more accurately depict the ACC, SPD, and STA ratings. In fact, you can actually use the splits to REPLACE all three of these ratings and force the users to look at the splits to determine the type of player they want. Do you want the Jammal Charles with elite STA and elite SPD but who accelerates slowly, or do you want the quick twitch with elite ACC but lower SPD and STA.

That is what I would love to see in this game.

# 51 khaliib @ 07/21/15 05:31 PM
Another thing to keep in mind dealing with how ratings are utilized in the game dealing with animations.

It's all based on levels of "10", meaning 60, 70, 80 etc...
Everything in between is used to mesh with "XP Points" in CFM.
It simply lets you know how far you are from the next level.

Gameplay wise, you will not see a difference between Lynch's 85 SPD and Murry's 89 SPD.
They're both in the 80's, with Murry 1pt away from 90.
When he hits 90, then you'll see a difference gameplay wise (dependent on Stamina rating) during runs.

Another is the "Catch In Traffic" rating, anything in the 60's and below, the AI WR will not adjust/track the ball as quickly.
As soon as it hits 70, they track the ball the second it leaves the QB hand.

Same with the "Carry" rating, you're safe with 85+ (depending on Stamina Rating also), but as soon as this rating falls below 80, the ball carrier has a hard time not fumbling during big hits as well as being stripped during tackle animations.

So the in-between numbers just gives an idea of how many "XP Points" will be needed for that player to reach the next level of that specific rating.

# 52 4thQtrStre5S @ 07/21/15 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
So since Lynch is 85 spd Lacy will be like 83 spd. But I have a feeling they changed the scaling so 92 os just as fast as 98. Wouldn't surprise me.

4.46 seconds
Marshawn Lynch, 40 yard dash time

4.44 seconds
Eddie Lacy, 40 yard dash time

# 53 khaliib @ 07/21/15 05:53 PM
Quote:
Agree 100%.

Using those split times, you can effectively make every player run the path they are supposed to run, accurately. All the players will accelerate and decelerate according to what the data suggests. In this way, you really only need three numbers (the three splits) to more accurately depict the ACC, SPD, and STA ratings. In fact, you can actually use the splits to REPLACE all three of these ratings and force the users to look at the splits to determine the type of player they want. Do you want the Jammal Charles with elite STA and elite SPD but who accelerates slowly, or do you want the quick twitch with elite ACC but lower SPD and STA.

That is what I would love to see in this game.
Here, here!!!

The "Explosive" player doesn't exist because this methodology is not part of game currently (maybe in M17).

"Hit The Hole" should be the mindset when thinking about RB's at this level.
Barry Sanders wasn't fast, but when he planted his foot, he "EXPLODED" through holes/creases.

There's an "Initiate Contact" Trait (1-3 if I remember correctly) that is hidden to the gamer (along with some others) I wish we were given access to.

# 54 Bull_Dozer @ 07/21/15 05:59 PM
The more I look at Madden ratings, the more I wish they'd just throw the entire system out and start over. It's all one big mess and I don't think football realism can be achieved with this current system.

# 55 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/15 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
4.46 seconds
Marshawn Lynch, 40 yard dash time

4.44 seconds
Eddie Lacy, 40 yard dash time
Where on earth did you get that 4.44 for Lacy? He didn't run at the combine and only had a 4.64 at his pro day.

# 56 iLLWiLL @ 07/21/15 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveparkmin
Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones are most dumb owners/GM and vice president as Father and Son who let Demarco Murray go and signed with Eagles

In their defense, Demarco and Dez were going to clean out as much of the Dallas' free cap space as possible. If you could keep only one of them, Dez was the one. Dallas still has a great offensive line, so I don't expect their run game to just fall off the face of the earth or anything.

# 57 DCEBB2001 @ 07/21/15 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
It's all based on levels of "10", meaning 60, 70, 80 etc...
Everything in between is used to mesh with "XP Points" in CFM.
It simply lets you know how far you are from the next level.

Gameplay wise, you will not see a difference between Lynch's 85 SPD and Murry's 89 SPD.
They're both in the 80's, with Murry 1pt away from 90.
When he hits 90, then you'll see a difference gameplay wise (dependent on Stamina rating) during runs.
This is 100% not correct for the SPD and ACC ratings, and I have proven it. A while back CM Hooe made me some cutups of players with different speed and acceleration ratings to quantify the exact amount of acceleration and speed displayed in the game. A difference of one point for the SPD or ACC attribute did result in a different time for their splits (I counted frames for every 5 yards). It may work like that for other attributes, it I can assure you that for SPD and ACC, the 1 point does make a difference in straight line speed.

# 58 braves_94 @ 07/21/15 06:09 PM
Lets see how long Demarco stays up there now that he's not playing behind football's greatest offensive line. He carried the ball 400 times last year. Terrell Davis, Jamal Anderson, Jamal Lewis, Shaun Alexander territory, and none of them had the injury history DeMarco has. Plus playing in the uptempo offense compared to the Cowboys's ball control. But I understand being up there for his production last year... but the odds are not in his favor of staying. But thanks Philly for over-paying for what will ultimately be Dallas's trash.

# 59 braves_94 @ 07/21/15 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveparkmin
Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones are most dumb owners/GM and vice president as Father and Son who let Demarco Murray go and signed with Eagles
You might be in the minority of Cowboy fans that think that way. Multiple film watchers have said for the yards that DeMarco got behind that line, he still could've gotten way more. Even the remaining running backs on the Dallas roster last year have gone on the record to say the same. Plus he had well over 400 touches last year. Recent running backs like Terrell Davis, Jamal Anderson, Jamal Lewis, Shaun Alexander, Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, Alfred Morris, Maurice Jones-Drew, Michael Turner, Chris Johnson, Thomas Jones... all of which had 350+ touches NEVER returned to form. You have to look back to Emmitt Smith to see a back that was productive the following year. Emmitt did it for two years, then was never the same. And NONE of these guys have the injury history of Murray. If their wrong, I don't want to be right.

# 60 braves_94 @ 07/21/15 06:22 PM
Not to mention Murray is the same age in which #22 became an average runner for the rest of his career.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.