Home
NHL 16 News Post

The NHL 16 team continues to answer questions about the game at their Ask EA page. The Q&A is copied and pasted below for easier reading. Other Q&A sessions have been posted here in the same fashion.

Will there be the 3 stars at the end of the game?

We do have the three stars selected after a game but there will not be a sequence showing the 3 stars of the game coming out to salute the fans.

Do the San Jose Sharks have their Stadium Series jersey in this game?

The San Jose Sharks Stadium Series jersey will be in NHL 16.

In long-term GM modes, I always find that the a lot of the computer generated players in the 2018+ drafts have the same last name. Any efforts to fix this? I have four Arkatov's on my team and it's quite confusing.

Hi Dane, we do have a large database of names for the different countries. I will look into the distribution of the names and see what we can do in the future.

Will there be fan interactions in playoffs, like hankies being waved and the white out in Winnipeg?

Yes, teams that have towels in the stands will have them in NHL 16 and we have done our best to get all the colors correct as well. The white out will be represented in Winnipeg and you will also see other teams that are known for giving out t-shirts to their crowd.

Will I be able to customize the goalie gear?

Yes both what brands you select and the colors region by region.

Will the control of goalies emphasize good positioning, rather than reflexes? It seemed like in previous installments that you would cheat slightly, stay low in your crease, have a big goaltender and simply move side-to-side. When I tried to use the technique I use on the ice I found that I was punished for moving into shots, not rewarded. Have you tried to replicate the NHL style of today?

In NHL 16 the aim this year was to build a system that didn't limit your ability to get to where you wanted but to make you accountable for that momentum. If you start to go one way and quickly change your mind, your goalie will have to recoil rather than just play a straight butterfly push. You can also take either small strides or larger T-Pushes from set depending on how far you want to go in the crease. We have added the ability to move into/with a save as you mention which works well when you are moving across to make a save. We have tried to eliminate the feeling of being 'stuck' when a save starts as that was something people often commented about with the old system.

Will we get new visors such as the Oakley Aviator and straight cuts? Also, new more realistic sock tucks and the option to pick the brand of pants/girdles.

In NHL 16 we have added a few new visor styles to help add authenticity to star players we couldn't capture before. You can't brand pants for this year. The sock tucks in style are what we have had in the game before but the textures were reworked to look more authentic to the current way the socks look over shin pads/skates. We have added different sock tape styles (which you can change the material and color of tape for as well).

Can I adjust my players hair length? I want long golden hair flowing in the breeze as zip past the defenseman and ultimately score.

Don't we all. Unfortunately for NHL 16, that won't be an option in Create Player. We do have over 200 new heads to pick from when you customize your player though. Some of them may have something close to the hair style you are after.

Will the Goaltender Interference penalties be fixed in NHL 16?

We have done work against both goaltender and player on player interference. We have also added the ability to call off a goal due to interference without having to hand out a penalty.

Is there going to be a demo?

We will not have a traditional demo this year. Instead, we will be launching our first ever EA SPORTS Hockey League Beta on July 30 for NHL 15 owners. We prioritized a Beta over a Demo because we wanted our fans to go deep with the mode and give us early feedback so we can continue to refine and improve the experience. For more information on the EASHL Beta visit the EASHL Hub. For fans of Be a Pro, Be a GM, and Hockey Ultimate Team there is more information about those modes within the beta and we will provide deeper dives for those modes at a later date.

Are there going to be more free content updates after launch this year?

Yes, fans can expect even more from NHL 16 after launch. While we're incredibly proud of what's in the game this year - with new gameplay balance and added depth across the most played single player and team modes - we're just as excited about keeping your experience fresh and exciting with free content updates after the game ships.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 murph17 @ 07/27/15 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
I wasn't blaming them for it. I know the EA Access details, it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. If your game is so improved from what was the worst in the series then release a demo for everyone to get excited about.
Betas and demos take time away from devs to work on them. They had to decide on one or the other, not both. Business decision.

So they decide on EASHL beta - they don't want a 100% open beta. Too many servers to run. They want to have control how many people have access. Opening it to everyone all at once and overloading servers doesn't do anyone any good. Defeats the purpose of the beta, doesn't allow them to get good info/feedback, leaves poor taste in people's mouths. Again, business decisions.

Who knows...if things go well, maybe they open it up to everyone before the end of the week. Maybe that was their plan all along.

# 22 actionhank @ 07/27/15 12:32 PM
No demo sucks, but at least with Redbox you can get a full featured 'demo' a few weeks after release.

# 23 Turbojugend @ 07/27/15 12:43 PM
Ehh, I didn't need a demo for either current-gen version of The Show and I won't be needing one for NHL 16. Sounds like NHL 15 with most of the missing features added back in and improved arena atmosphere, which is good enough for me. Then again I'm probably easier to please then most.

# 24 Rsomers21 @ 07/27/15 01:43 PM
Is the rumor true that in EASHL club play you aren't able to increase and build your players attributes for NHL 16???

# 25 JJMarley @ 07/27/15 01:43 PM
I hope they fix teammate AI in this game. Nothing is worse than trying to breakout w the puck behind your own net only to have your teammate skate right in front of you.

# 26 AdamJones113 @ 07/27/15 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsomers21
Is the rumor true that in EASHL club play you aren't able to increase and build your players attributes for NHL 16???
Not a rumour, but true and touted as a feature.

# 27 speels @ 07/27/15 02:51 PM
I'm not too upset about no demo. The gameplay last year was solid, other than some legacy issues, so I really don't need to see what the gameplay is like. Sure it would be nice to checkout the new defensive controls and such, but the demo is such an old build that usually it doesn't even matchup with what you get out of the box. Most of the issues with 2015 came from lack of everything else and a demo sure won't help me figure out what is missing this year.

# 28 MizzouRah @ 07/27/15 03:34 PM
Quote:
Will there be the 3 stars at the end of the game?

We do have the three stars selected after a game but there will not be a sequence showing the 3 stars of the game coming out to salute the fans.
I get so frustrated when I read stuff like this.. you freaking had this in your game a few years ago!!!

You add immersion and then take it away.. year after year.

# 29 Gangrel @ 07/27/15 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I get so frustrated when I read stuff like this.. you freaking had this in your game a few years ago!!!

I always wondered why they did it too, but I wonder if it wasn't done to have more of a "broadcast" feel to a game now, instead of an "at the rink" flavour.

With all the NBC branding they seem to be pushing a "it's on TV!" vibe, so if that was the reason, I could understand it. But it's probably just something they took out. :P

# 30 actionhank @ 07/27/15 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMarley
I hope they fix teammate AI in this game. Nothing is worse than trying to breakout w the puck behind your own net only to have your teammate skate right in front of you.
The AI just not knowing where to be, or what to do in general, would be a monumental fix for the series.

I can't count the number of times I had the potential for an odd-man break, just to have my defender who was in center ice with me, going 2-on-1 stop at the blue line after we crossed it, leaving me to go solo on the defender. It was infuriating.

# 31 Yzerman101 @ 07/28/15 04:44 AM
Quote:

Really frustrated me too ,really miss the Three stars sequence showing at the end of the game,please just put it in again!!!

# 32 s_mkheidze @ 07/28/15 06:16 AM
Quote:

I agree. While the 3 starts thing is not something that I am concerned with, it is another symptom of of the main issue with this title. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

# 33 MizzouRah @ 07/28/15 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel
I always wondered why they did it too, but I wonder if it wasn't done to have more of a "broadcast" feel to a game now, instead of an "at the rink" flavour.

With all the NBC branding they seem to be pushing a "it's on TV!" vibe, so if that was the reason, I could understand it. But it's probably just something they took out. :P
You might be right.. I'm just used to watching Blues games where they show the 3 stars coming back onto the ice.

# 34 bigwill33 @ 07/28/15 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrel

Rammer stated that it was because of the broadcast feel. He talked about it when they patched the 3 stars back into the game in its current fashion. I believe he also stated that their data indicated that people just skipped over it.

# 35 BigDisk @ 07/28/15 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
Rammer stated that it was because of the broadcast feel. He talked about it when they patched the 3 stars back into the game in its current fashion. I believe he also stated that their data indicated that people just skipped over it.
I always skip it. But there are those moments you want to see that... Like the first time you make the 3 stars with your Be A Pro character in the NHL, or first time in EASHL.

But yeah, I don't really care about this stuff either, I'd rather see time invested in real gameplay features, or a better EASHL/DropIn matchmaking experience

# 36 capitaine25_ @ 07/28/15 04:48 PM
It is going to be possible to customize our music like on the xbox 360....

# 37 BigDisk @ 07/28/15 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitaine25_
It is going to be possible to customize our music like on the xbox 360....
Nope sorry

# 38 MizzouRah @ 07/28/15 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDisk
I always skip it. But there are those moments you want to see that... Like the first time you make the 3 stars with your Be A Pro character in the NHL, or first time in EASHL.

But yeah, I don't really care about this stuff either, I'd rather see time invested in real gameplay features, or a better EASHL/DropIn matchmaking experience
They spend time on all kinds of "fluff" so at least I know why they removed it. Just like arena stuff.. I'm sure there are some arenas - *cough* Scottrade Center that won't get any custom stuff.

EA just has a way to half azz stuff or add things, then remove them.. rinse, repeat.

# 39 CrackinBacks @ 07/28/15 10:01 PM
That's cool...no Demo = no Buy

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.