Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

2K has just revealed the first NBA 2K16 digital short, titled Stephen Curry: Beyond the Shadows. The video showcases some of the first looks at NBA 2K16 gameplay.

The video chronicles the inspiring history of NBA superstar and cover athlete Steph Curry’s rise to dominance. Narrated by Spike Lee, the montage of gameplay and true life footage showcases Curry’s journey from being drafting by the Golden State Warriors to winning the 2014-15 NBA Championship.

This video is the first in a three part series focusing on the life story of NBA 2K16’s cover athletes, complementing this year’s #BeTheStory MyCAREER narrative.

We snipped out all of the NBA 2K16 footage from the video here, if you want to take a look.

NBA 2K16 will be available for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC on September 29. If you pre-order at participating North American retail and online vendors, you get it on September 25, along with in-game bonuses.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 JBulls @ 08/10/15 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Must be some old footage because

That arena lighting

Sneak peek at NBA 2K17 @ the 2 second mark!

https://youtu.be/E1MIWtSUq_Q

# 122 Jrocc23 @ 08/10/15 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
How does showing footage early necessarily help? People will see the footage, dissect the crap out of it, then after a week or two it's old news and people are ready for the next video.

It reminds me of a joke by, I believe, Katt Williams. He's talking about sex and how there are girls that won't put out easy. They make you wait and wait and by doing so they have you hooked. Your waiting for that moment and by the time it comes its great because you waited so long. If she gives it up quick and often you'll get bored of her quick. He also relates it to food, specifically crackers. If you eat the same crackers everything single day you'll get bored. Don't eat for a week and someone hands you a cracker your going to eat it and love every single Seco d "best damn cracker I ever had."

I was just listening to that joke a few days ago at work on Netflix lol and it was Eddie Murphy, but maybe Katt did the same joke much later.

But I see your point but I can understand both sides. Waiting also could build a lot of anticipation and hype and also speculation about things that's not true about the game. When they do finally release something, a lot of people are disappointed because of the hype built up.. Not saying 2K is anything like this but look how Joe Montana football turned out making people wait it turned into a lot of different things and people were very disappointed.

I wish 2K would release more information but most people do because we're all interested in the game. But, I don't even complain about it. When the news come, it comes. Because I know 9/10, I am going to buy 2K regardless and the only time I regretted it was 2K12.

I am sure we'll get most of the information before the game is released. And even if it's not the info you wanted, just rent it and see if it's worth your purchase. I know it's hard because we love 2K. Especially how excited I am for this years 2K with the return of Crew, MyCareer, online leagues, and hopefully an improved association mode. Will feel like 2K11 again where I am playing all types of modes.

I just hate when 2K make announcements for announcements lol.

# 123 raidertiger @ 08/10/15 05:36 PM
Currys jump shot is still slow. Not even surprised, this same company had him as a normal timed release a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 124 BluFu @ 08/10/15 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocone
Well, I bet if 2K had 3-4 year dev cycles, you would see stuff a lot earlier
Don't see how the dev cycle changes that we're only a handful of weeks away from release. 1 year cycle or 8 year cycle, this close to release, many consumers expect more footage. But.. this is 2K, a highly established product, so I get there's no reason for 2K to release anything right now.

# 125 lakers24 @ 08/10/15 05:47 PM
Should've known as soon as it wasn't much gameplay there'd be a lengthy discussion on marketing tactics lol. Anyways, let's get back to over analyzing small clips shall we?

The number one thing I'm surprised no one here has mentioned is the first clip against the Clippers is an older build. You can tell because the Clippers don't have that nautical alternate anymore and the crowd has on last years Clippers jerseys.

The next thing I'm surprised no one caught was the obvious new scans which include body scans. LeBron has been rescanned, along with Kevin Love, Draymond Green, and Timofey Mozgov. I don't think Kyrie, Shump and Bogut have been rescanned (though they don't really need it outside of a body scan).

# 126 WaddupCouzin @ 08/10/15 05:50 PM
JBtheGreat:

Are you still on the fence about the game? Like most on here, I am Dreamcast Era 2K player, so I plop my money down and wait for the goodies. I'm confident that I'm going to be getting a good product, if that confidence wanes for some reason then I'll revisit my decision, but 45 days isn't that long to wait, plus they'll be a slew of information within the next 6 weeks. As MIKEGSW has said repeatedly in this thread, this is about par for course. The only thing missing was the crazy German guys playing at Gamescom... Lol.

I pre-ordered my game last month, so I'm waiting for September 24th.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

# 127 Ownal0t @ 08/10/15 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocone
Sega did this with one of their consoles and it absolutely tanked.

As much as die hards think things don't need marketing, they really do
didnt beyonce release a cd randomly and i think Dre as well recently and both are doing /did well?

# 128 ClevelandinDistress @ 08/10/15 05:56 PM
NBA 2k just isn't bringing it anymore. Maybe I'm getting old but the games just don't have that charisma and passion inserted into the gameplay anymore. It's like they've taken all their heart and soul and stuffed it into all the Myplayer stuff. The last time I was impressed was with the announcement of NBA2k14 and the Phil Collins trailer. I have only been underwhelmed from that point on. The graphics fidelity, lighting, emotion, have taken steps backwards and once I got a taste of those graphics there was just no going back for me. If you think I'm making this up, search James Harden 2k14 and compare him to the recently released 2k16 screenshot.

The way they bring out info for this game is fine. But their focus is 90% on all the fluffy teenager stuff that makes them money. It's like this game is being made for 10 year old kids who purchase myteam coins and not the true sim heads. Oh but there's Da_Czar and Mike Wang and all the other guys who are in this for us! That's what you say, I feel their muzzle has been tightened and their interaction is way down. Instead of seeing more gameplay content because they're happy to show it off, it's like they do it now just to satisfy the few old heads still around making up the final 10% of their marketing campaign.

I cringe just thinking about the annoying 2k stream with Ronnie where they play exclusively in the park and talk about hair styles and clothing options. I loath the days when Gold pack this and Silver Pack that, Rare Edition here, rare edition there, are focal point in their discussions.

I just want my grassroots contender NBA 2K back. Fame has made my favorite game turn into a gold digger. No longer is she the cute innocent summer fling, now she's the used up, cakeface lady strutting her stuff all over Broadway.

# 129 kolanji @ 08/10/15 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
Should've known as soon as it wasn't much gameplay there'd be a lengthy discussion on marketing tactics lol. Anyways, let's get back to over analyzing small clips shall we?

The number one thing I'm surprised no one here has mentioned is the first clip against the Clippers is an older build. You can tell because the Clippers don't have that nautical alternate anymore and the crowd has on last years Clippers jerseys.

The next thing I'm surprised no one caught was the obvious new scans which include body scans. LeBron has been rescanned, along with Kevin Love, Draymond Green, and Timofey Mozgov. I don't think Kyrie, Shump and Bogut have been rescanned (though they don't really need it outside of a body scan).
Why are you surprised ppl didnt notice....we are only basketball gamers in here.....we are not OS CSI or detectives. ...u working with the bureau man....naw just kidding bro good obsevation..but when i look at Curry u can clearly see his hair style is not 2k15 cause i have checked loading up 2k15 and his hair is shorter.....but again i could be wrong cause am not with the bureau

In these pics what i do not like is why still players hands always have this spirit finger look with their fingers spread apart. ....look at Bogut or lebron hands to see what am talking about

# 130 King_B_Mack @ 08/10/15 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownal0t
didnt beyonce release a cd randomly and i think Dre as well recently and both are doing /did well?
9.99 music album and 59.99 video game is a wee bit different there man lol.

# 131 BluFu @ 08/10/15 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
9.99 music album and 59.99 video game is a wee bit different there man lol.
We're talkin about Beyonce in a 2K thread.. how's that bingo card lookin 24th

# 132 nova91 @ 08/10/15 06:10 PM
These last few threads have been something else...

# 133 24ct @ 08/10/15 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGSW
You're on here talking about it. Their marketing strategy is working. People are talking. Wondering. Anticipating.

Every year people doubt them. Every year they crush it. Those same people buy it. And we do the whole dance all over again 9 months later.
Lol dog what do you even know about marketing? Really...

I'm only talking about it because it's the only thing(news) to talk about. Their is a such thing as bad marketing. This isn't free press we're talking about. They spent money to make this commercial.

Either way just because I'm 'talking about it' doesn't mean I'm anticipating anything. I know 2k16 is gonna be the same game as last year. I'm smart enough to realize the only way the game changes is if they really strip it from the ground up. It's gonna be the same animation heavy game with 1 on 1 mocap scenarios playing out in animations which doesn't look good to me anymore. Personally...

And the past 2 years 2K has been extremely lackluster dog. Especially considering these are current gen games on a new system. The graphics were cool but the game played exactly the same. You say they crushed it but I seriously beg to differ.

This isn't just me disappointed they don't release info. The game has regressed since 2K14. 2K15 is a terrible game IMO. The AI and story in myCareer is terrible. The online play is terrible.

I'm not just gonna say a game is good just because they drop it. I've been playing since Dreamcast. The 1st NBA 2K.

They're not showing the game because it's the same thing. If you like it cool but I'm not buying that they have broken any new ground. And that's cool, you can't please everybody. If you like it that's cool but I haven't really enjoyed the PS4 2Ks. 2k was the main reason I bought a PS4.

Ppl saying everyone buys the game knows the reason. It's the only competent basketball game. 2k is using that to their advantage. But when Live was out and actually worth buying 2K dropped news way earlier. I actually plan on getting Live this year because I anticipate 2k being lackluster again...

Thanks for your input tho...

# 134 24ct @ 08/10/15 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandinDistress
NBA 2k just isn't bringing it anymore. Maybe I'm getting old but the games just don't have that charisma and passion inserted into the gameplay anymore. It's like they've taken all their heart and soul and stuffed it into all the Myplayer stuff. The last time I was impressed was with the announcement of NBA2k14 and the Phil Collins trailer. I have only been underwhelmed from that point on. The graphics fidelity, lighting, emotion, have taken steps backwards and once I got a taste of those graphics there was just no going back for me. If you think I'm making this up, search James Harden 2k14 and compare him to the recently released 2k16 screenshot.

The way they bring out info for this game is fine. But their focus is 90% on all the fluffy teenager stuff that makes them money. It's like this game is being made for 10 year old kids who purchase myteam coins and not the true sim heads. Oh but there's Da_Czar and Mike Wang and all the other guys who are in this for us! That's what you say, I feel their muzzle has been tightened and their interaction is way down. Instead of seeing more gameplay content because they're happy to show it off, it's like they do it now just to satisfy the few old heads still around making up the final 10% of their marketing campaign.

I cringe just thinking about the annoying 2k stream with Ronnie where they play exclusively in the park and talk about hair styles and clothing options. I loath the days when Gold pack this and Silver Pack that, Rare Edition here, rare edition there, are focal point in their discussions.

I just want my grassroots contender NBA 2K back. Fame has made my favorite game turn into a gold digger. No longer is she the cute innocent summer fling, now she's the used up, cakeface lady strutting her stuff all over Broadway.
Bruh. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Especially the last part lol. Good post dude. Not everybody is impressed with what 2k is doing.

Every time I join a party ppl complain about the SAME stuff. Sliding. No control due to animations. Etc etc. Even tho they play it. It's because it's the only basketball game to play. Not because it's so good. It USED to be so good. Now it's the only option to try.

# 135 kolanji @ 08/10/15 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandinDistress

yea i know exactly what u mean cause i feel the same way...lets face it we are not the cool kids anymore...would love to see nba 2k broken down into two like forza with the arcade version developed by another studio while the sim heads like us get to keep our none playing MC stats loving realistic defensive minded manager making team running games to ourselves

# 136 jbthegreat @ 08/10/15 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddupCouzin
JBtheGreat:

Are you still on the fence about the game? Like most on here, I am Dreamcast Era 2K player, so I plop my money down and wait for the goodies. I'm confident that I'm going to be getting a good product, if that confidence wanes for some reason then I'll revisit my decision, but 45 days isn't that long to wait, plus they'll be a slew of information within the next 6 weeks. As MIKEGSW has said repeatedly in this thread, this is about par for course. The only thing missing was the crazy German guys playing at Gamescom... Lol.

I pre-ordered my game last month, so I'm waiting for September 24th.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
I was never on the fence. I have confidence in 2k. I just don't understand their marketing strategy. Would it hurt them to release info and footage sooner? Like why is there a low res bootleg gamescom clip floating around? Why didn't they just release the trailer they shot for Gamescom? Who does this benefit/hurt?

# 137 lakers24 @ 08/10/15 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanji
Why are you surprised ppl didnt notice....we are only basketball gamers in here.....we are not OS CSI or detectives. ...u working with the bureau man....naw just kidding bro good obsevation..but when i look at Curry u can clearly see his hair style is not 2k15 cause i have checked loading up 2k15 and his hair is shorter.....but again i could be wrong cause am not with the bureau

In these pics what i do not like is why still players hands always have this spirit finger look with their fingers spread apart. ....look at Bogut or lebron hands to see what am talking about
That's the new scan for Curry, I just didn't list him since we all know he's been scanned for 2k16 just like AD and Harden.

As for the fingers, I believe it's a couple of things: 1. Whenever I see 2k do motion capture the phalanges usually don't have anything on them to capture their movement. 2. They never seem to have motion captured off ball defense stances which contribute to the players having "videogame" like movements.

# 138 King_B_Mack @ 08/10/15 06:46 PM
Only real issues I have with the 2K marketing is the lame over teases for months on end with no real meat to chew on for a while and the moving away of how video game marketing used to be.

Remember back in the days when you could pick up a gaming magazine and get a write up on the upcoming sports titles. It'd be like the July or August issue and there'd be a few screenshots and a decent preview on the modes and a few gameplay improvements and by the time the last month came around, you could find even more videos of full games being played online. This whole thing of putting everything off until the last 2-4 weeks is a little bit annoying. Especially since during that 2-4 weeks we still don't get info released every day. It's like Monday you'll get something, then Friday. Not the end of the world, but it's a little off putting what the marketing cycle has turned into. At least this year they've toned down the announcement of announcement hyping and receipt re-tweeting.

# 139 lakers24 @ 08/10/15 06:50 PM
The receipt retweeting is definitely coming

# 140 Junior Moe @ 08/10/15 06:56 PM
I like the trailer. As others have said, not enough to chew on. Curry's shot was beautiful, though.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.