Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Mike Wang, Gameplay Director for NBA 2K16 mentioned on Twitter that green releases are much rarer in NBA 2K16 and they will no longer be 100%.

He also mentions the following (in post #22):

Quote:
There have been battles even internally over missed green releases, especially now that they're so hard to get. I really think it's an unsolvable problem. The best news I can give you is that our shots engineer has made just about every knob I use to tune shooting modifiable on the server side post release just like a roster update. So if there's something the community isn't happy with I can tweak the system and update your games without the need for a patch. So what happened with patch 4 last year will never happen again.

UPDATE: Mike has chimed in on this topic with more details, to clear up any confusion (post #211)

Quote:
Let me clear up a few things as there's a lot of speculation going on right now. This is why I hate Twitter. But anyway...

I have not removed "user skill." There's still a great deal of weight applied to shot timing. So knowing your players' releases is still a key success factor. It's just that shot quality is much more important this year so you have to take good shots.

For those wondering how we made green releases more rare. It's done based on shot %. So if you take a low quality shot, you basically won't be able to achieve an excellent release. As your shot quality improves, the window for an excellent release grows. So again... take good shots.

Last year, green releases were meant to be 100%. If you saw one miss, that was a bug. A good bug... but a bug nonetheless. This year, the shot bonus for greens is still pretty high and it's based on the shot %. So the higher the %, the greater the excellent timing boost. This is basically how our shot system has always worked, I just tuned it. It's kind of a mix between what we had in 14 and 15. And yes, it does kind of suck to miss a green release, but over time, it feels right. Still, I might tweak the system after getting more feedback from everyone... but nobody is really complaining about it internally.

And why don't we just remove the shot meter? Too many people like it and it's still a valuable tool. Not everyone has the time (or desire) to memorize the shot timing for hundreds of players in the league. And if you like to play with lots of teams, or just want to experiment with a new team, the shot meter is very helpful. You can always turn it off if you want.

Last thing, we CAN tune offline differently from online. So I'll be monitoring feedback closely once you guys have the game to make sure everybody's happy.

He also added this on Twitter...

Quote:
New Shot Meter option for #NBA2K16 called "Feedback Only." Meter won't draw while shooting, only after release to show how close you were.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 b1baller @ 08/11/15 01:51 PM
The BIG news here is that there is no longer a patch needed to fix shooting flaws or exploits

# 42 juicey79 @ 08/11/15 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
Open jumpshots in an NBA game for an average NBA player should be around 50%-70%. Open 3 pointers around 40-50. That's on perfect release with NO contest.

Not even Michael Jordan was knocking down 100% of his open uncontested jumpers.
Yes....dead on...I love Mike but he was a volume shooter that was able to get his own shot and work himself in a rhythm...but like anyone...the furthest from basket the lower your chance to make shot regardless of perfect release...the highlights make us think he made every shot....the same goes for Kobe, A.I. and Lebron....only person I can think of is an outlier is S.Curry....as frustrating as this may become, this represents true life dynamics....I do hope getting hot makes a different

# 43 Jrocc23 @ 08/11/15 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k gamer all day
This is intresting. I see many people at LD2K twitter says they sometimes missed if they had a green release "100%" . I played over 500 games in online one vs one and i can remember that my shots "100%" always going in. Hmm..

Green release wasn't 100%, but it basically was. It was like 99.9%. The only time you'd miss, that I've seen, is the ball rolling around the rim and coming out.

Played a lot of games and it only happened once twice in practice mode.

# 44 Kurupt_XxX @ 08/11/15 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23
Green release wasn't 100%, but it basically was. It was like 99.9%. The only time you'd miss, that I've seen, is the ball rolling around the rim and coming out.

Happened to me like twice in the rec center.
Both from same spot
Proof
https://youtu.be/WYGfCJtPbVY?t=8s

# 45 Pokes404 @ 08/11/15 02:23 PM
Quote:

I would actually really like if that were the case in 2K16. If I miss a green release, then so be it, but make it a miss animation that goes halfway down and rattles out, or bounces around on the rim and rolls off. At least give people the feeling that it almost went in.

I'd have to say, it was a little frustrating sometimes in past 2K's when you would shoot an open shot, get an "Excellent Release," and then proceed to shoot the ugliest brick you've ever seen in your life.

The end result was the same either way, it's a missed shot. But shooting such an ugly shot off of an excellent release felt like the game was giving you a big middle finger sometimes lol

# 46 Jrocc23 @ 08/11/15 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I would actually really like if that were the case in 2K16. If I miss a green release, then so be it, but make it a miss animation that goes halfway down and rattles out, or bounces around on the rim and rolls off. At least give people the feeling that it almost went in.

I'd have to say, it was a little frustrating sometimes in past 2K's when you would shoot an open shot, get an "Excellent Release," and then proceed to shoot the ugliest brick you've ever seen in your life.

I actually wish it was the latter but I get what you're saying but I didn't mind it. I remember in 2K11 shooting a open mid range perfectly and air balling it lol. But I loved how it was then.

# 47 JPBeBeast @ 08/11/15 02:26 PM
Love this.

# 48 tru11 @ 08/11/15 02:27 PM
are green releases tied to a players rating or a players shooting animation?

IMO ratings did not seem to matter at all as long as you mastered the animation.

it seemed easier to shoot with guys with avg ratings but an easy animation compared to guys with good ratings but a more difficult animation to master.

# 49 Ward13 @ 08/11/15 02:29 PM
Umm... What abt a defensive "knob"? Can you tune that without a patch? (sarcasm alert)

# 50 NDAlum @ 08/11/15 02:31 PM
They might get me on board with this! If it's a mix of skill + attributes then count me in. Would feel much better online if this is the case.

# 51 Pokes404 @ 08/11/15 02:32 PM
Quote:
I actually wish it was the latter but I get what you're saying but I didn't mind it. I remember in 2K11 shooting a open mid range perfectly and air balling it lol. But I loved how it was then.
I had one of those as well. If I take a contested shot and get a slightly early/late (or even worse), then by all means. But if I get an open look and excellent release with a competent shooter, at least give me something that reinforces "you did everything right, it just didn't go down this time."

That open-midrange, excellent-release, airball with Kevin Durant was just a soul crusher lol

# 52 Pokes404 @ 08/11/15 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
are green releases tied to a players rating or a players shooting animation?

IMO ratings did not seem to matter at all as long as you mastered the animation.

it seemed easier to shoot with guys with avg ratings but an easy animation compared to guys with good ratings but a more difficult animation to master.
The player's shooting ratings effect how big the "perfect" window is on the meter. But as you said, the problem was that it was easier to shoot with average shooters with an easy release than it was to shoot with a good shooter with an odd release.

# 53 blackjackbulls @ 08/11/15 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL9105
I guess this is cool but I see this leading to a return of people complaining that the perfect release grade doesn't mean anything which was part of the reason they put the shot bar in the game in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
great point, agreed

# 54 blues rocker @ 08/11/15 02:58 PM
great solution! they addressed the complaints about %100 success on green releases. that was the only part that NEEDED to go. the other areas are subjective, and as Mike stated, the those things can now be tuned without a patch. this works for me.

# 55 barrman7 @ 08/11/15 03:06 PM
But why make the green release harder to get AND not 100%? It doesn't make sense to me...

# 56 TalenT @ 08/11/15 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
You know that the harder the shot is, the harder it is to get a perfect release? In our online league, when I take a 3 pointer off the dribble or against a defender, it is hard to even get a yellow release. getting a perfect one there is nearly impossible. But I think that depends on the sliders. We use HoF/Sim...When playing quick match or myteam I guess the sliders are too "easy".
Yeah, I know bro. I'm just sayin' in some cases defense just "shrinks" the blue area of the shot meter and you can still get a perfect release if you have the timing right. The "shot quality" wasn't the greatest but your knowledge of the player's release trumps it.

# 57 yungsta404 @ 08/11/15 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL9105
I guess this is cool but I see this leading to a return of people complaining that the perfect release grade doesn't mean anything which was part of the reason they put the shot bar in the game in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yup as long as there is shot feedback that gives green/perfect releases, people WILL complain, its unavoidable unless they take it completely out of the game.

If green releases dont have a 100% success shot rate = "I dont make enough wide open green releases"

If you make green releases 100% but you tone down the chances of getting it significantly to adjust the shooting percentages to a realistic rate
= "I dont get enough green releases!!"

If you increase the chances of getting green releases while keeping the green release 100% shot success rate mechanic = "shooting percentages are way too high!"

# 58 blackjackbulls @ 08/11/15 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k gamer all day
This is intresting. I see many people at LD2K twitter says they sometimes missed if they had a green release "100%" . I played over 500 games in online one vs one and i can remember that my shots "100%" always going in. Hmm..
green releases are not 100%, they are 99% so it's rare but you can miss them. when you hit a green release it turns that players shot rating from whatever it is to 99.

# 59 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 08/11/15 03:20 PM
I toilet bowl a few shots from three and had a few green releases hit the side of the back board. But I like the old way better anyway . No big deal

# 60 BluFu @ 08/11/15 03:23 PM
As long as shot quality is of more importance than shot timing, I think this system will work fine. Open slightly early shots should go in more than a contested perfect release shot (no deadeye).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.