Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Last night, during Game Changers Radio, Kolbe Launchbaugh, Creative Director of Madden NFL 16, advised everyone to wait until the upcoming patch (no estimated date yet, but we have seen "less than six weeks" thrown around by the development team) arrives before starting their CFM.

He talks about it at roughly the 13 minute mark.
  • They are aware of everything the community is bringing to their attention
  • They are addressing many of those items in a patch coming soon (no estimated date given)
  • You should wait until the patch is released before starting your CFM, as some of the fixes will require client side and server side fixes
No details have been given on what fixes are being implemented as of yet, but for now, it would be wise not to start your Madden NFL 16 CFM yet.

As for what could be in the patch. This is all speculation but here are some of the known CFM issues:
  • Ratings boost from drive goals making some players go over 100 overall. There is no workaround right now, drive goals are always on even if you don't keep notifications going on your screen.
  • Regression being overly harsh on offensive linemen (seems to be more pass blocking than anything else) that causes their ratings to fall quite drastically. This appears to stem more from SuperSim or simulating games as linemen give up too many sacks and then regress.
  • Rookies coming in that are not scaled to the new speed/deep accuracy ratings Madden is using on default rosters. So many new rookies can come in after season one and be better than most everyone else in the game at certain things. (This one seems like it would obviously be a reason you have to start your franchise over because rookies are put in your Year 1 CFM from the start of the season.)
Other issues we are tracking but haven't confirmed on staff ourselves:
  • QBs getting too many carries during a game (in SuperSim but not regular sims).
  • Re-signing players to really crazy bargains (that is, superstars taking major discounts).

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 oldman @ 08/26/15 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
This is the real question right here. Can we get this answered?
Pasta says it can't change things already done. For example, it can change draft classes already drafted but I do wonder if they haven't been drafted yet can they change it. Pasta also says 2-3 weeks. I guess it is also an issue of did they just find this last night or was it something that they have been working on for a couple days.

What exactly is happening with the WR'S and QB'S in the draft?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

# 142 aholbert32 @ 08/26/15 02:14 PM
What is the drive goals bug exactly?

# 143 bspring3 @ 08/26/15 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Basically as you successfully perform drive goals, your players in-game confidence will increase to the point that attributes will in fact go over 100 for certain players. This leads to high performance boosts.

# 144 Smallville102001 @ 08/26/15 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelfish
Going based on what PastaPadre tweeted. He speculated 2-3 weeks

I don't know how he could really know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
That's not the point however. It was stated that franchise mode gets better and better in the show and doesn't have any major bugs. All I am saying is that's not true. For me as well I don't think Franchise mode in the show has taken any leaps forward either, and as I said 32 team control is still pretty much required.

For this years version from a gameplay perspective I am not sure how it's not better. I think it's the best onfield version of the show in like 10 years. That's purely subjective however.

I agree that mlb the show has not really taken many step forward. I think NBA has easily the best franchise mode in a sports game but I don't think the mlb franchise mode is bad either just need more things to do. Also while there are some issues I think they pail in comparison to the ones in CFM. Mlb the show 15 was a big improvement over 14 and 14 was the first year that I thought mlb the show went back wards but again it was the first one I thought went back wards.

Now madden on the other hand is much better this year but there have been so many years that the game has went backwards and it fells like ever year there is at least 1 problem that is just to big to want to play this game for more then 2 or 3 months.
This year the game looks to play pretty while after only playing 2 games and if not for the problems in CFM I think I could play this game for a while but going by track record I don't know if this is going to be fixed or not and some times patches can cause new issues.

# 145 SFNiners816 @ 08/26/15 02:18 PM
Quote:
The main problem seems to be hitting these goals lead to an over inflation of certain ratings for positions and it effects all of that position on your team in game.

However, I seen a tweet by Kolbe stating they have only been able to replicate it in quarter of 8 minutes or more.

# 146 CM Hooe @ 08/26/15 02:19 PM
Quote:
Rex mentioned on Twitter that the cause of the dramatic ratings increases during CFM games was related to an issue they identified internally with CFM Dynamic Drive Goals.

# 147 bkrich83 @ 08/26/15 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspring3
Basically as you successfully perform drive goals, your players in-game confidence will increase to the point that attributes will in fact go over 100 for certain players. This leads to high performance boosts.
My understanding is that it happens mostly in blowout type game. At least that's the explanation I got from some other OS members on Twitter yesterday. I played last night and got alerted I had met some goals, and didn't see any boosts of that kind of magnitude. Someone else may be able to shed more light on in than I .

# 148 Rocky @ 08/26/15 02:22 PM
I've said this before on here...and trust me I'm not gloating on being right, but they really need to get rid of this dynamic goal, XP, confidence crap. I honestly have no idea who likes this or wants it yet it is still causing problems in CFM.

# 149 Instant C1a55ic @ 08/26/15 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNiners816
The main problem seems to be hitting these goals lead to an over inflation of certain ratings for positions and it effects all of that position on your team in game.

However, I seen a tweet by Kolbe stating they have only been able to replicate it in quarter of 8 minutes or more.
That makes sense as you would have more time to complete more and more goals, thus increasing the chances of atts going over 100. I play on 9 minute quarters now, and nearly peak each and every time.

# 150 bkrich83 @ 08/26/15 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I've said this before on here...and trust me I'm not gloating on being right, but they really need to get rid of this dynamic goal, XP, confidence crap. I honestly have no idea who likes this or wants it yet it is still causing problems in CFM.
The confidence stuff I can live with, it's basically in every sports game out there. I am right there with you on the dynamic goals, XP stuff. I don't want to play an RPG, I just want to sit down and play a game of football.

I know some people hated it, but I liked the somewhat pre-determined progression/regression system of Head Coach. Actually I thought that was the best franchise mode top to bottom of all time for console games. Why they went away from it, I will never get. If I could get Head Coach's off the field depth and design with the current version of Madden on the field, I may never leave the house.

# 151 Picci @ 08/26/15 02:26 PM
No game is free of defects. Everyone should accept that.

I will say that NBA 2K15, and MLB The Show 15 were two of the best sports games I've ever played/playing. (Can't wait for 2k16)

This Madden game is the best football game inside of "Play Now", I've ever played. It's everything outside at the moment that's burning. Hoping they can get as many fixes as possible.

Kudos to Kolbe for giving us the heads up, so this way we can really dig deep into this and start it right. He's a standout dude.

This is a perfect time for us to review what the slider experts are revealing.

# 152 bspring3 @ 08/26/15 02:28 PM
Quote:
My understanding is that it happens mostly in blowout type game. At least that's the explanation I got from some other OS members on Twitter yesterday. I played last night and got alerted I had met some goals, and didn't see any boosts of that kind of magnitude. Someone else may be able to shed more light on in than I .
Yeah I have seen the same thing, I played as the Jags and they arent very good. So this bug really didnt effect me to much during my season.

# 153 CM Hooe @ 08/26/15 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Personally, I don't think its reasonable to declare the abject failure of a particular game design over a bug which will be gone in two weeks.

# 154 StefJoeHalt @ 08/26/15 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
Even that I took last year has we just cant fix sacks in till madden 16 because are you meaning to tell me that you couldn't see how the CPU would take sacks after holding on to the ball for like 20 seconds? Do they really think QB just hold on hold on to the ball and never pass the ball like that?

Don't get me wrong I agree..but they have stated several times they don't test games anywhere near 15min quarter length...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 155 bad_philanthropy @ 08/26/15 02:35 PM
Quote:
The confidence stuff I can live with, it's basically in every sports game out there. I am right there with you on the dynamic goals, XP stuff. I don't want to play an RPG, I just want to sit down and play a game of football.

I know some people hated it, but I liked the somewhat pre-determined progression/regression system of Head Coach. Actually I thought that was the best franchise mode top to bottom of all time for console games. Why they went away from it, I will never get. If I could get Head Coach's off the field depth and design with the current version of Madden on the field, I may never leave the house.
I hate the XP stuff too. I'd be fine if you could assemble a better staff and have that help improve development, but in my opinion FIFA and NHL has progression right. They essentially assign growth ranges to different players based on real-life scouting projections. Even better, in NHL, the prospects star rating (which determines their progression range) can be edited before entering career mode.

Additionally, NHL's prospect development is also contingent upon whether the right type of player is slotted properly during development. I believe the NHL team also has a combination of bust mechanics. Some are hand-implemented applied to specific players, and there is also one applied at random.

For instance, in NHL 15, say you have a five star green prospect (highest potential) labeled as a future top line player. You draft him at 18 and his overall is 64. The top line on your NHL club is full of guys rated in the mid 80's. You could put him on your fourth line, but the combination of less play time, and wrong types of players, and style of game expected to play in that role hinder development. He's likely to bust if you play him in a role not matching his player type. Or maybe he'll develop into a serviceable fourth line which isn't maximizing what you could have gotten out of him.

The best option is to send him back to junior where he can play on the top line of his junior club. Maybe next year he has a huge jump and can play in your top six (where good offensive forwards usually play in hockey), or maybe he isn't quite ready to be a premier offensive player in the NHL. So, instead you assign him as the top center for your minor league affiliate where he gets to play top minutes in a top offensive role.

There is no screwing around with xp. Player development is about recognizing where their potential and role fit in in the organization, and playing them in the right place at the right time to maximize their potential range.

# 156 bkrich83 @ 08/26/15 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I hate the XP stuff too. I'd be fine if you could assemble a better staff and have that help improve development, but in my opinion FIFA and NHL has progression right. They essentially assign growth ranges to different players based on real-life scouting projections. Even better, in NHL, the prospects star rating (which determines their progression range) can be edited before entering career mode.

Additionally, NHL's prospect development is also contingent upon whether the right type of player is slotted properly during development. I believe the NHL team also has a combination of bust mechanics. Some are hand-implemented applied to specific players, and there is also one applied at random.

For instance, in NHL 15, say you have a five star green prospect (highest potential) labeled as a future top line player. You draft him at 18 and his overall is 64. The top line on your NHL club in full of guys rated in the mid 80's. You could put him on your fourth line, but the combination of less play time, and wrong types of players, and style of game expected to play in that role hinder development.

The best option is to send him back to junior where he can play on the top line of his junior club. Maybe next year he has a huge jump and can play in your top six (where good offensive forwards usually play in hockey), or maybe he isn't quite ready to be a premier offensive player in the NHL. So, instead you assign him as the top center for your minor league affiliate where he gets to play top minutes in a top offensive role.

There is no screwing around with xp. Player development is about recognizing where their potential and role fit in in the organization, and playing them in the right place at the right time to maximize their potential range.
That would be beautiful in Madden or The Show for that matter.

# 157 RickyRozay @ 08/26/15 02:40 PM
I read this thread title as "Kolbe says to WAIT til Metal Gear Solid comes out"

# 158 SolidSquid @ 08/26/15 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy

For instance, in NHL 15, say you have a five star green prospect (highest potential) labeled as a future top line player. You draft him at 18 and his overall is 64. The top line on your NHL club is full of guys rated in the mid 80's. You could put him on your fourth line, but the combination of less play time, and wrong types of players, and style of game expected to play in that role hinder development. He's likely to bust if you play him in a role not matching his player type. Or maybe he'll develop into a serviceable fourth line which isn't maximizing what you could have gotten out of him.

Don't really play NHL but my god that sounds amazing

# 159 Xtra @ 08/26/15 02:46 PM
So what are the issues?

# 160 bad_philanthropy @ 08/26/15 02:48 PM
Quote:
That would be beautiful in Madden or The Show for that matter.
NHL 15 gen 3 had the most balanced and well-tuned franchise mode I've seen on an EA console game.

I had a first round pick bust, I also had a first round pick take a long time to develop, but become a solid playmaker at 22 after building his game in the AHL. I even had a late rounder come out of nowhere in his second year as a pro to become a top defenceman. In the aggregate though, the tuning is excellent, far more of your prospects will never really become NHL caliber outside of the first round, and sometimes those first round guys a projects that can become top players if you are patient and put them in the right spots at the right times.

While development is largely based on slotting correctly, it is also influences by the variable of player performance within the sim engine. Like if a third line guy in the minor leagues performs above expected based on what happens in simmed games, he is going to grow more as a player. It never felt unbalanced. Just sometimes, randomly, the sim engine allowed for some guys to get on a roll, or perform above the statistical likelihood.

Overall development is pretty hands off, you interpret the data of his ratings and potential range, and decide where to stick the player in your organization based on what you think you'd like him to be for your organization in the future.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.