Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Hey OS, Senior Editor Dustin Toms (@DustinToms) here. Release season is upon us, and the next big NBA title is coming up.

We've been invited to spend a day with NBA 2K this Thursday, September 10. I'll be flying down to The Hangar and have hands-on experience with NBA 2K16, conversations with the developers and opportunities to capture some gameplay footage (which will debut on the Operation Sports YouTube channel). We will surely come back with even more information overload for OSers to try and process.

Now this is where you come in: what do you want to know about NBA 2K16? Post your questions here, or ask me directly on Twitter at @DustinToms. I'll take a list of the best questions with me, and have answers for you shortly after. If you ask me on Twitter, I'll reply directly to you!

Make sure you read through these links as well, as most of your questions may already be answered:

Fire away below, OSers!

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 jroberts6 @ 09/06/15 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
I am a complete noob to the NBA 2k series, honestly to basketball as a whole. I have not watched a game since Jordan was on the court, the first time, and I have been playing College Hoops since 2k8. I have been following the info for 16 and I must say this is shaping up, in my opinion, to be a genre shaping game. I see this as being the game that people say formed a generation and I am very excited to be a part of it.

In anticipation for 16 I thought I would mess around with 15. I never could get it installed to play. I am not bashing so please don't get all defensive. Some great guys on in the 2K forum really tried to help, just couldn't get it to work and I just gave up.

So my question is. Are the install issues that a lot of people went thru last year resolved or is this a potential issue for this year as well?
Also will the loading not freeze at 99% every time in myLeague?

# 62 banks2531 @ 09/06/15 09:29 PM
I'm surprised no one has yet to ask about online play this year. Can you please ask if there will be online lobbies rather than quick play and random match making? Also. Are the servers vastly improved to minimize lag? Lastly, can we view the opponents w-l record prior to starting the game? To many times I start the game only to find out their record is awful and it becomes a waste of my time. Thanks!

# 63 MarkWilliam @ 09/06/15 09:31 PM
Is shot fatigue back in this year?

# 64 Mikelopedia @ 09/06/15 09:34 PM
-Have we've been given any freedom in regards to assigning team colors 1 and 2 for each uniform, headbands and colors, shoe colors, sock colors?

-Is the dunk contest and 3 point shootout accessible outside of MyLeague/MyGM?

-What difficulty setting was the game tuned on?

-Does the foot planting tech do away with most of the foot on the line 2's? Or do players at least consistently spot up behind the line?

A couple questions I saw that I want to reiterate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny315
Can we create alternate jerseys for myleague/myGM when we rebrand instead having just home/away jerseys
-Specifically can we just create new alternates using the same design scheme the team currently uses? Or do we always have to create a new template? Say I want to just take the current Knicks unis and make them black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saro1
Can we edit or create staff?
-To elaborate, can we create assistants that aren't in the game within MyLeague? Say a team fires their coach and promotes their assistant, I'd want that next assistant to be a real coach as well. Are there real coaches in the FA pool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
Curious if AI subbing is affected by the gameplay changes made by OG and Czar. Or if AI subbing has been touched on at all in general?
-I'm very alarmed reading that one comment saying OG said the logic wasn't touched. Maybe I'm just in denial at this point but does that include minutes not matching up to what was assigned in the rotation screen due to the starters playing the entire 4th quarter???
This leaves me confused too as to what they meant (at this point can't remember if it was Leftos, Czar or OG that said it) when they said throughout the season you'll see different guys step up and get minutes.

Quote:
Are there more different voices to choose in mycareer
-The question all the white guys feel bad about asking.. but yes. Taken even a step further, may be a 2k17 wish at this point, but different personality types might be better. (Humble, Confident, Competitor, etc)

I feel bad that I don't have alot of gameplay questions, I think I'm still just trying to digest the incredible strides OG and Czar made. I would definitely love to see how CPU's run fast breaks though.

# 65 MarkWilliam @ 09/06/15 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
My question:
  1. Is AI time-awareness better this year in handling special situations like two-for-one situations, end-of-quarter substitutions, overtime and responses to in-game injuries?
My concern stems from the fact that substitution and roster logic was not touched this year. There were some moments when I would be in a game situation and be saying: "WTF did the ai do there?"

Thanks for fielding questions for your field trip this year.

Edit:

In the SimNation Hangout interview, ScottOG said substitution logic was not touched this year.... which led me to my concern and question above.

Yeah I did notice he mentioned that but I felt he was a little distracted on his answer haha......going for confirmation more than anything.....

# 66 MarkWilliam @ 09/06/15 09:45 PM
Also, OG implemented a GREAT new feature about best player match up assignments (Butler now guards LeBron etc.)

Further to this, I'd like to know if LeBron gets subbed BACK IN to the game, are we triggered to bring Butler back in?

Long shot, but it can make a BIG difference if LeBron gets 3 or 4 possessions before Butler gets back onto the court....... and I'd like to be triggered at the same dead ball rather than waste a time out......

# 67 wisdom @ 09/06/15 09:52 PM
i concern the zig zag cheese will still happen when player vs player(pro am/rec/park) . Can the sliders fix this problem or need a patch to fix it?

# 68 MarkWilliam @ 09/06/15 09:57 PM
Also (this is an answer for any potential questions) - didn't want to create a new thread just to inform this;

Inbounds plays HAVE been worked on. Czar told me this on Twitter - he just ran out of time and space on his blog.

Further to this, plays with "0.2" in the play name are for last second patterns (i.e; catch and shoot). I am sure it's for more than 0.2 but this is just a name thing more than anything (from what I could gather).

He said there is some "ruff stuff" still in there but he did get some "NICE ACTIONS" from the new stuff.

In case anyone asks, I figure they'll see this answer on this thread.

Apologies if this is not where it should have been posted.

# 69 Vinny315 @ 09/06/15 10:04 PM
EVERYONE QUOTE so we'll have our answer to this frequently asked question

IN MYPLAYER/MYCAREER- CAN WE Change body types? Like for instance,

Body type 1- fat or husky for centers or PF
Body type 2- muscular like lebron or dwight howard
Body type 3- skinny like the greek freak or kevin durant,basically lanky
ETC.....

Please if youv'e read this QOUTE it or post in your own words lots of people would love to know the answer THANK YOU

# 70 Tunechid @ 09/06/15 10:07 PM
1- is there alternate jerseys in pro-am
2- how many players can be on a pro-am team
3- can we get some pictures of some scanned shoes(preferably jordans)
4- can we equip compression pants in mycareer

# 71 juicey79 @ 09/06/15 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repituar
1. What steps have been taken to improve the "halftime report" to a "halftime show" with replays from the game (season and online custom games against friends) and replays from league best plays (ala NFL 2K5)

2. What steps have been taken to improve "End of Game highlights similar to those from prior years (e.g., 2K11)? To include music and best plays of the game.

3. What steps have been taken to add back "in game replays" to online league and custom games against live players similar to those incorporated against AI played games?

As you can see, my questions are geared towards presentation, as i believe they would increase the overall quality of the game. Next Generation consoles should bring next generation realism.
Yes! Yes! Great presentation question . Also who is commentating

# 72 juicey79 @ 09/06/15 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
My questions never get chosen, but I'm posting these anyways. These are what I would ask if I had a chance to speak with 2k directly.

Halftime, Pre-game, Post-game show
Has a legitimate halftime show been implemented into NBAk216? Legitimate as preferably seen in NFL2k5 or even something closer to NBA2k14? Pre-game show improvements with Ernie and Shaq? What about a Post-game show including Ernie and Shaq or someone in the studio?

Defensive footplanting
New footplant detection technology revealed, however, I am unfortunately still seeing sliding by defenders as if they are missing footplant animations. Example including the Delly full court press on Curry in spoiler tag. Question. Will footplant technology be continually worked on and improved to completely eliminate sliding? Is sliding happening because of the lack of defensive animations?

Spoiler

Audio/Sound Engineer
Members are still concerned about where NBA2k is in regards to audio authenticity. Has rim sound, crowd noise, crowd reaction been improved? But more importantly, how has it improved? Rim sounds as someone puts it, has a trash can sound to it.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...tmosphere.html

No visual crowd reaction when hometown hero Anthony Davis blocks Dwight Howard in the video below.
Spoiler

Player Models

Did players get their lower body scanned? People have mentioned cankles on players such as the coverboy athlete Anthony Davis.
Great question

# 73 Vinny315 @ 09/06/15 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
My questions never get chosen, but I'm posting these anyways. These are what I would ask if I had a chance to speak with 2k directly.

Halftime, Pre-game, Post-game show
Has a legitimate halftime show been implemented into NBAk216? Legitimate as preferably seen in NFL2k5 or even something closer to NBA2k14? Pre-game show improvements with Ernie and Shaq? What about a Post-game show including Ernie and Shaq or someone in the studio?

Defensive footplanting
New footplant detection technology revealed, however, I am unfortunately still seeing sliding by defenders as if they are missing footplant animations. Example including the Delly full court press on Curry in spoiler tag. Question. Will footplant technology be continually worked on and improved to completely eliminate sliding? Is sliding happening because of the lack of defensive animations?

Spoiler

Audio/Sound Engineer
Members are still concerned about where NBA2k is in regards to audio authenticity. Has rim sound, crowd noise, crowd reaction been improved? But more importantly, how has it improved? Rim sounds as someone puts it, has a trash can sound to it.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...tmosphere.html

No visual crowd reaction when hometown hero Anthony Davis blocks Dwight Howard in the video below.
Spoiler

Player Models

Did players get their lower body scanned? People have mentioned cankles on players such as the coverboy athlete Anthony Davis.
LOL !!in the anthony davis video theres no audio/sound in the first place so you dont know if there was a reaction anyways

# 74 eko718 @ 09/06/15 10:22 PM
Does the AI respond intelligently in foul trouble situations? Many times in 2K15 the AI might have a player pick up his 3rd foul in the 2nd quarter, 4th foul early in 3rd, etc. and just let them ride it out unrealistically.

# 75 m1ke_nyc @ 09/06/15 10:29 PM
Has substitution logic been fixed in mycareer ? You always end up playing 40 plus minutes even in blowouts.

Can we finally choose to wear home, away, alternate jerseys in mycareer ?

# 76 lakers24 @ 09/06/15 10:39 PM
My question is, what are their plans regarding their presentation package. Do they plan on continuing previous efforts to mimic a real life telecast or go in a different direction? If they are trying to mimic what we see on TV, what are some of the steps they're taking to accomplish that (audio wise, camera angles, replays, pregame & halftime, playoff atmosphere, etc.)?

Quote:
EVERYONE QUOTE so we'll have our answer to this frequently asked question

IN MYPLAYER/MYCAREER- CAN WE Change body types? Like for instance,

Body type 1- fat or husky for centers or PF
Body type 2- muscular like lebron or dwight howard
Body type 3- skinny like the greek freak or kevin durant,basically lanky
ETC.....

Please if youv'e read this QOUTE it or post in your own words lots of people would love to know the answer THANK YOU
It's more likely than not based on weight and muscle type like it used to be.
Here's a pic from the pro-am trailer (which is an earlier build) but you can see some different arms sizes
Spoiler

# 77 djherokiller @ 09/06/15 11:34 PM
my question for nba 2k is if pc will have an anti cheat system i am just really curious with that specific questions

# 78 djherokiller @ 09/06/15 11:35 PM
to be more in depth get some things that are specific to pc

# 79 Vinny315 @ 09/06/15 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
My question is, what are their plans regarding their presentation package. Do they plan on continuing previous efforts to mimic a real life telecast or go in a different direction? If they are trying to mimic what we see on TV, what are some of the steps they're taking to accomplish that (audio wise, camera angles, replays, pregame & halftime, playoff atmosphere, etc.)?

It's more likely than not based on weight and muscle type like it used to be.
Here's a pic from the pro-am trailer (which is an earlier build) but you can see some different arms sizes
Spoiler
I know the arms my seem different but i also mean like literally the body area
Like can we have shaq kind of build or a big baby glen davis type of body
Or kevin durant's tooth pick like body and so forth. See what i mean ?

# 80 KennyJ1976 @ 09/06/15 11:57 PM
Is there a playoff mode in NBA 2K16 and if not, why won't they bring it back? It's a very simple mode to add on.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.