Home
NHL 16 News Post

The trial version of NHL 16 is available now (a day early) for EA Access subscribers. To start the download process, open up the EA Access hub, scroll over to NHL 16, click View in Store and download the trial.

For those of you that can download it, play a few games and let us know what you think!

REMINDER: You get 10 hours of gameplay, so make sure you exit out of the game if you are not playing. Don't pause and lose those precious minutes.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 261 Splitter77 @ 09/14/15 04:12 PM
quick questions
are there new penalties?
are you seeing the cpu go offsides?
are you seeing pucks go out of play??
is there a stoppage for a hand pass??
can goalies lose their sticks??
can you be called for too many men on the ice??

# 262 MizzouRah @ 09/14/15 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
quick questions
are there new penalties?
NOT THAT I HAVE SEEN
YES
YES
NO HAND PASSES
I DON'T THINK SO
NO

# 263 GlennN @ 09/14/15 06:28 PM
I apologize if this has already been discussed (I'll admit I did not check through all the 30-something pages), but can I get more folks' thoughts on how much the player ratings matter this year. Do you really see a difference between stars and fourth line guys? Thanks!

# 264 BL8001 @ 09/14/15 07:03 PM
I think the ratings are terrible personally. All the teams are too close together ratings wise.

From bleacher report

# 265 bigwill33 @ 09/14/15 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
quick questions
are there new penalties?
No to all of that.

# 266 canucksss @ 09/14/15 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL8001
I think the ratings are terrible personally. All the teams are too close together ratings wise.

From bleacher report
I guess this is the reason why there's not much difference vs teams and players. Pretty sad really if you are playing just the offline BaGM.

# 267 mkharsh33 @ 09/14/15 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
I guess this is the reason why there's not much difference vs teams and players. Pretty sad really if you are playing just the offline BaGM.
did i hear (or maybe it's just the voices in my head) - but I believe I read this has something to do with the NHLPA who do not want to embarrass players by giving them low ratings. so it might be outside of EA's control, which is pretty pathetic...

# 268 BL8001 @ 09/14/15 11:34 PM
Was there a gameplay update? I got prompted about it tonight.

Just played flyers v bruins again and had a fantastic game I won in OT. Zero cpu cheating.

Edit: either they changed the gameplay for the better or collapse D is the panacea for gameplay.
I have not had one cpu cheese goal yet. Played 5 games so far with different teams. So far none of the teams I chose had collapse D.

Basically collapse D wakes your team up and says hey this is an NHL game.

# 269 PittPens1787 @ 09/15/15 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
did i hear (or maybe it's just the voices in my head) - but I believe I read this has something to do with the NHLPA who do not want to embarrass players by giving them low ratings. so it might be outside of EA's control, which is pretty pathetic...
If true that's definitely pathetic.

I got my question answered by one of the devs on a stream last week. I asked why there's very little difference between the stars and the scrubs, i.e. 50+ players rated 89+, which in FIFA is reserved for the top 15ish players I think.

They answered that their scale involves the whole world - from Swedish leagues to CHL to the NHL. They pointed out that the very very top say 2% of players are rated 89+, they just all happen to be in the NHL so it looks like the ratings are clustered when you only look at the NHL.

This kinda sucks for GM mode which only involves NHL teams. I would personally rather get rid of the foreign leagues and stretch out the NHL/CHL scale for more realistic GM mode ratings. I have to believe that more people play GM mode than play with the foreign teams, right?

# 270 taylor34 @ 09/15/15 12:42 AM
I was pretty excited to try this on EA access this year, haven't played a hockey game in a long time and thought it was time to get back in on one. After playing an exhibition game and then a long 'be a pro' game, my main problem with the game is the same problem I had with the last EA games I tried...it's just not 'fun' anymore. It's this weird mix of trying to be sim and try to be fun but doesn't seem to really succeed at either. I really dislike the controls, I can't stand the right analog stick stuff but the alternate controls are completely lame too (right trigger speed burst anyone?).

It may just be me, but the announcers really annoy me in this game. I miss Gary Thorne/Bill Clement.

I'm really disappointed with the game honestly, and probably won't be purchasing it now. It reminds of like NBA 2k like 10 years ago, it was trying to sim but the problem was is that it wasn't 'fun'. NHL used to be fun but not particularly realistic, then 2k did both forcing EA to up their game but now the EA game has lost that fun factor it used to have...I would trade realism for fun at this point.

Another year without an NHL game. Frankly, I wish they'd just update the old pc/genesis versions from the early 90's to add online play + updated rosters, can you imagine playing 5 on 5 NHL 93/94/95 on Xbox Live? That would be awesome. At least have some version that people can casually have fun with. NHL 2002 was the last version I remember having a ton of fun with our 5 person line pc league.

# 271 Money99 @ 09/15/15 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
Yes, you are correct.
The PA eventually stepped-in when players like Shawn Chambers and Ken Baumgartner were rated 1-OV and 2-OV respectively.
That's why we have players within 15 points of each other.

BL8001, that's very encouraging to hear.
I look forward to more of your impressions.
I just don't know when I'll get my PS4 back now that Desinty's update has been released.

# 272 Madwolf @ 09/15/15 07:35 AM
Players still feel different though. The Sedins aren't the best for knocking people off the puck, nor are many of the Canucks, and you'll find yourself struggling against certain players and teams physically.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.