Home
NHL 16 News Post

The trial version of NHL 16 is available now (a day early) for EA Access subscribers. To start the download process, open up the EA Access hub, scroll over to NHL 16, click View in Store and download the trial.

For those of you that can download it, play a few games and let us know what you think!

REMINDER: You get 10 hours of gameplay, so make sure you exit out of the game if you are not playing. Don't pause and lose those precious minutes.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Money99 @ 09/10/15 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
There's still plenty of issues I have though that may make me change my mind as I play through the trial.

In this Det/Tor game, I dump it into their zone, Phaneuf gains control of the puck, and I press him into the boards in the corner to the right of the net. A second player of mine comes to help, and the puck all of the sudden is kicked backwards out of the pile by Phaneuf to a teammate who is between the blue line, and the face off circle on the LEFT side of the ice. and It's a rocket too. That's completely ridiculous to me that stuff like that happens in this game still.

One of their goals, again, deep in my zone, the rocket passing begins, they're guys are flying, mine are standing still as they burry a one timer with a wide open man out front. The same garbage goals I've seen from the CPU over the years where you just feel cheated.

There's still far too many times for my liking where I feel like the CPU players have no effects of speed, acceleration, physics, they just have total speed and total control at all times. Now, I love the way my controlled players skate. It feels good. It feels natural. However, the weight, and momentum that I feel as the player, and I see my guys skating with, seems like it's completely missing at times with the CPU Players.

I've only played 2.5 games now, but those two issues have always been big issues for me, and it seems they are still present.
That is very discouraging to read.
It's probably my #1 complaint about this series.

# 62 MizzouRah @ 09/10/15 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04
Played the opening game TB vs Chi. All-star, Hardcore, all visual aids off. Small indicator size, small puck size, small shadow (authentic is just too small). Dropped the game -speed down a couple notches.

I never really play against the cpu, but I actually enjoyed this. It was a battle and I had to work for everything. Won 2-1 on a penalty shot in OT, talk about a thriller.

Passes are not automatic. Especially if you're skating left from center towards the boards with a right handed player and try to make a long breakout pass to the right all the way across the rink, it's just not accurate at all.

Players don't automatically receive every pass like magnets now and the breakups are really nice.

Deflections are well done and the puck is way more loose which I love.

Then I played 2 games of versus. Went into OT on the first and it was great to see 3v3 and penalties being correctly 4v3.

My gripe about online, and I'm 99% an online vs/EASHL player (legit btw, no cheese, I play as real hockey as I can) is that it's just too fast. The game and skating is so much better slowed down which you can't do online.

Don't get me wrong, the physics and skating and puck are really well done. It's just the overall speed of the game is too quick. That and for whatever reason the cpu is dumbed down in vs, which does change the dynamic.

Hopefully this is the year I can get into Be A GM and actually enjoy playing the cpu. In the past its always been win by a lot or lose by a lot, never an in-between.

Time will tell. But in my 1st three games I really enjoyed playing and the game felt fresh and way more "alive" over 15'.
Agree with everything. I'm going to try with speed down 1 click as when I tried this during a game, it was real choppy. With 8 minute periods, way too many shots due to the frantic speed of the game.

# 63 Woody19 @ 09/10/15 11:46 AM
Does anyone know if I can buy the game online and just continue playing after the ten hours are up? Or do I still have to wait until the official release date? Thanks!

# 64 BL8001 @ 09/10/15 11:48 AM
Watching that vid.

One thing, the CPU does a lot of this, and it's what I want to do...

When they bring it in to the offensive zone they are able to come to a quick stop. They do it constantly and it's very effective.

So they skate towards the corner than stop and flick a pass somewhere for the shot.

I can't come to that same type of a quick stop.

You can see in the vid how the blackhawks keep using the wilds "userness" against them by quick stopping.

The closest I can come to stopping quick is holding LT and reversing direction but it is nowhere as clean as the cpu's quick stops.

# 65 jyoung @ 09/10/15 11:56 AM
The full team practice mode from the Xbox 360/PS3 version is back:

As before, you can practice breakouts, rushes, and offensive zone setups against any number of players.

It's disappointing though that there's still no way to start a practice scenario from a faceoff. I think that would help people finetune their faceoff skills and provide a way to practice faceoff plays.

# 66 Tomba @ 09/10/15 11:59 AM
Great game EASports has a strong line up this year so far lets hope nba live is good..we DONT need nba live to be Great or amazing JUST good. good enough to play and good enough to stand...

# 67 RoyalBoyle78 @ 09/10/15 12:07 PM
Will fire this up tonight.

# 68 rodneytasm @ 09/10/15 12:10 PM
I've been trying to get an answer from EA forever!

I'm hoping someone here knows this for sure: can you play a full season/playoffs offline with a friend (offline co-op)?

# 69 The Visualizer @ 09/10/15 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneytasm
I've been trying to get an answer from EA forever!

I'm hoping someone here knows this for sure: can you play a full season/playoffs offline with a friend (offline co-op)?

I know the season mode can be played this way. It includes playoffs as well.

For Be A GM I think u can play with up to 4 local players on the same team, but your buddies cant have their own teams. Someone will need to confirm this Be A GM stuff tho.

# 70 TDKing @ 09/10/15 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody19
Does anyone know if I can buy the game online and just continue playing after the ten hours are up? Or do I still have to wait until the official release date? Thanks!
You have to wait for release

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

# 71 actionhank @ 09/10/15 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The full team practice mode from the Xbox 360/PS3 version is back:

As before, you can practice breakouts, rushes, and offensive zone setups against any number of players.

It's disappointing though that there's still no way to start a practice scenario from a faceoff. I think that would help people finetune their faceoff skills and provide a way to practice faceoff plays.
It would be nice if practice scenarios would lead to actual in-game improvements. Maybe encourage players to use practice mode to find line combinations that work, and then use them in game to take advantage of that.

Also, I'm a bit bummed to see that it seems like the morale system may end up being like the scouting system. Something that doesn't really do much, and just ends up being frustrating to work around.

I'm hopefully going to be able to get it on Redbox before too long, but I have no idea what their game update schedules are like.

# 72 rodneytasm @ 09/10/15 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
I know the season mode can be played this way. It includes playoffs as well.

For Be A GM I think u can play with up to 4 local players on the same team, but your buddies cant have their own teams. Someone will need to confirm this Be A GM stuff tho.
Do you know this from the Early Access? If so, that's great news! This is the only way my friends and I play Thanks

# 73 bad_philanthropy @ 09/10/15 01:01 PM
Anyone tried manual passing yet?

# 74 jake19ny @ 09/10/15 01:11 PM
Watched that video of Chicago vs Minnesota that was posted earlier and the CPU D did look to play better. Again only one penalty called and that was with 25 seconds left in the game. So I have watched 2 full games worth of NHL 16 and have seen just that one penalty call.....Sounds like others are getting 0-1 as well. Really makes me wrestle with whether or not I can play my full offline season with the game missing this integral part of the sport. Mind blowing how this never gets addressed.

# 75 jgarrett @ 09/10/15 01:16 PM
Has anyone tried out EASHL yet?

# 76 Don Jon @ 09/10/15 01:16 PM
Can you practice with your BEaGM team or Season mode team?

# 77 jyoung @ 09/10/15 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Watched that video of Chicago vs Minnesota that was posted earlier and the CPU D did look to play better. Again only one penalty called and that was with 25 seconds left in the game. So I have watched 2 full games worth of NHL 16 and have seen just that one penalty call.....Sounds like others are getting 0-1 as well. Really makes me wrestle with whether or not I can play my full offline season with the game missing this integral part of the sport. Mind blowing how this never gets addressed.
So far I've played 4 games:

Online Versus, All-Star/Simulation -- 3 penalties (users)
Play Now, All Star/Simulation -- 1 penalty (AI)
Be A Pro, All Star/Hardcore -- 1 penalty (AI)
Be A GM, Superstar/Hardcore -- 1 penalty (user)

That's with 5 minute periods and default sliders.

# 78 jake19ny @ 09/10/15 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
So far I've played 4 games:

Online Versus, All-Star/Simulation -- 3 penalties (users)
Play Now, All Star/Simulation -- 1 penalty (AI)
Be A Pro, All Star/Hardcore -- 1 penalty (AI)
Be A GM, Superstar/Hardcore -- 1 penalty (user)

That's with 5 minute periods and default sliders.

So it appears albeit early to call that the offline penalty calling is indeed messed up again. It also appears reading other posts that the slider controlling penalty calls does nothing once again. Shame because despite all its flaws I was able to tweak NHL14 to be enjoyable but this problem made it really hard to enjoy playing a full season and if its present in NHL 16 I don't know if I can play through it.

# 79 MizzouRah @ 09/10/15 01:35 PM
Played another game with the game speed down one click and had realistic SOG totals. I lost 4-3 vs Carolina but they had 27 shots and I had 26. There were 3 total penalties called with the penalty slider maxed on 8 minute periods. I haven't touched the other two penalty sliders under game settings for CPU and CPU AI teammates, I'll max those out my next game.

Anyone try the game speed at 1 or 2 and notice a huge framerate issue? I'm fine on 3 and above (4 is default) but if I try 2 it's fine for a little bit and then it's so choppy I can't even play and have to turn it back up to 3. I even cleared the XB1 cache, same issue.

Not much music being played during the game on stoppages in play or in the menus.. maybe that's a trial thing?

It's a cleaned up NHL 15 - defense seems to be better and goalies seem better. Going to wait on a roster update before trying BeaGM.

# 80 HypoLuxa13 @ 09/10/15 01:38 PM
I saw the player editing issue (makes the player 1st round pick) on the Bugs and Glitches thread, but a follow up question: Can we actually edit player ratings this year? Or just equipment and such?

I'm a lifelong Blackhawks fan, and I love Marian Hossa. But he should not be one of the top wings in the game anymore. I'm hoping to be able to edit him (and other players) to make their ratings a little more realistic.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.