Home
NHL 16 News Post

The trial version of NHL 16 is available now (a day early) for EA Access subscribers. To start the download process, open up the EA Access hub, scroll over to NHL 16, click View in Store and download the trial.

For those of you that can download it, play a few games and let us know what you think!

REMINDER: You get 10 hours of gameplay, so make sure you exit out of the game if you are not playing. Don't pause and lose those precious minutes.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 bwiggy33 @ 09/10/15 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
This needs fixed ASAP. Unplayable on lower speeds.

I think it's better as far as AI goes.. not GREAT.. but better. Like they tuned it or something instead of rewriting the code.

The puck is everywhere though.. and I love that. Sticks get a piece of the puck many times by my AI controlled players.
See and I agree they tuned the AI, but there's just fundamental issues that make me go crazy. The lack of Neutral zone pressure is just so obvious and hasn't ever been touched. I can deal with the occasional defender lost in la la land blip. However, when you can skate in the zone every single time untouched going 1 on 4 on superstar level it's just stupid. There's just nothing dynamic about the game. You have to force yourself to attack differently in order to try and have fun. That shouldn't be the case. You can honestly skate in and tee up a slapper from the top of the circle nearly every single time. I just don't get why the higher skill levels don't have more pressure. It makes no sense to me.

I totally agree with you about the puck being all over the place. They made a great change in this regard.

# 102 hoopsjones84 @ 09/10/15 07:27 PM
One more question. Do u pay the $60 up front then play 10 hrs. Or can u download free and play 10 hrs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 103 ericromain @ 09/10/15 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
So the Blackhawks' actual organist has a small sound clip in the game now that plays alongside a "Let's go Hawks!" chant.

You can hear it at 1:23 of this video:

It's a nice touch, but this clip barely plays much at all during games (mostly just on center ice faceoffs). The organ and crowd should be much more active throughout the game.

Has anyone heard real chants and organ music for any other teams besides Chicago? I'll have to try out a few more arenas today.
That's awesome. I love the unique building sounds. I would love to see some more examples.

# 104 brandon27 @ 09/10/15 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsjones84
One more question. Do u pay the $60 up front then play 10 hrs. Or can u download free and play 10 hrs?

You pay monthly, or annually for EA Access... download the trial. Play for 10 hours. That's it...

# 105 CanuckJ @ 09/10/15 07:39 PM
The kelowna rockets are paying tribute to their 1st season by wearing the jerseys they wore when they 1st moved to Kelowna. Can somebody please check if they are in NHL 16, i would really appreciate it.

# 106 jyoung @ 09/10/15 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJ
The kelowna rockets are paying tribute to their 1st season by wearing the jerseys they wore when they 1st moved to Kelowna. Can somebody please check if they are in NHL 16, i would really appreciate it.
Kelowna has three jerseys in NHL 16, and their home and away versions are like the ones you've got pictured.

They're shown here at timestamp 44:28

# 107 Rules @ 09/10/15 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
So, I just got 4 games in tonight. I'm at a loss for words on this one. It's better, on the surface, but beyond that, it's the same old terrible AI. It's a bit improved in some spots, but terrible in so many others still.

I actually quit a game tonight. 7 minutes in to the first period, I'd given up 5 goals, on 6 shots. All instances where my D-men just stand around and do nothing in front of my net while I fight for the puck in the corner, then they magically throw it out front, the shooter can move, basically warp into the shot while my D-man barely even moves to acknowledge the play. 4 straight shots in a row, almost identical scenario.

I hoped earlier when I saw a player kick a puck out of a scrum across the ice, I hoped I was seeing things. However I saw it many more times tonight.

There's still so many instances still where the AI players don't seem to be effected at all, in any way by physics. They accelerate so much quicker, turn so much quicker. It's not even close to the same in comparison as to how your players skate.

Then, to top it all off. 3 games tonight. Not a single Penalty on the CPU. NOT ONE. So, the only way to enjoy the game is to just turn penalties completely off, because its ridiculous for the player to spend time on the PK all game, while the CPU apparently does nothing wrong.

GM mode has some nice additions, I can say that. How it all works in the long run though is whats important.

I'm not sure anymore that it's a full price buy for me. It's NHL 15, with a facelift to me so far. I'm going to mess around with the difficulty and some sliders over the weekend to see if that helps, but right now, I've got a major decision to make on what I do with this one. It feels good at times, theres times when playing it is fun, but then theres times where for some reason it's like the AI flips on it's superman switch, and you might as well just put down the sticks and take what they're about to give you. I have no problem loosing a game to the CPU. I went 2-1 tonight (well 2-2, it game me a loss int he game I quit from too) Like I said, no problems loosing, but I hate feeling cheated by the AI. I'm left feeling that quite a bit playing this so far though.

EA refuses to fix the penalty issues that has been an issue for years now. Once again, I will not buy until they can get this right. No CPU calls means no power plays which means no fun.

# 108 brandon27 @ 09/10/15 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
EA refuses to fix the penalty issues that has been an issue for years now. Once again, I will not buy until they can get this right. No CPU calls means no power plays which means no fun.
I've played 6 games total. Only had one penalty on the CPU.

Terrible.

I've lost count of how many I've had called on me. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

# 109 ricky24 @ 09/10/15 07:58 PM
Ugh. Not impressed again. Did they really think adding a call of duty type leveling system was the answer to lack of player builds in EASHL? Embarrassing.

# 110 SENS_AK27 @ 09/10/15 08:03 PM
As an Offline Dynasty User can you view the box scores of the Simulated Games? Does the Box Score show the players season goal total?

As someone who has posted Dynasties since NHL 2004 I found NHL 15 unplayable and it was the first time in years I didn't post a dynasty. This was one of the reasons.

A second less important question...is the draft process completely the same in BAGM? One of my favorite things to do in NHL 14 was drafting a 6'8 or higher monster in the 6th and 7th round. In NHL 15 you couldn't sort players by height so it took all that enjoyment out of it.

Thanks.

# 111 CanuckJ @ 09/10/15 08:53 PM
Thank you really appreciate the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Kelowna has three jerseys in NHL 16, and

home and away versions are like the ones you've got pictured
They're shown here at timestamp 44:28

# 112 MizzouRah @ 09/10/15 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
See and I agree they tuned the AI, but there's just fundamental issues that make me go crazy. The lack of Neutral zone pressure is just so obvious and hasn't ever been touched. I can deal with the occasional defender lost in la la land blip. However, when you can skate in the zone every single time untouched going 1 on 4 on superstar level it's just stupid. There's just nothing dynamic about the game. You have to force yourself to attack differently in order to try and have fun. That shouldn't be the case. You can honestly skate in and tee up a slapper from the top of the circle nearly every single time. I just don't get why the higher skill levels don't have more pressure. It makes no sense to me.

I totally agree with you about the puck being all over the place. They made a great change in this regard.
Yeah.. I see this too. I also do see times where I can't get a shot off.

I beat Edmonton 5-0, but possession wise, it was a close game. Tarasenko scored a goal where it came all the way out of the goal at least 10 feet.. was pretty cool.

During the game, the game speed went down to 2.. I know this because the game was really choppy.. I set it back to 3 and it was fine.. but it changed on its own.. weird...

At least the big hits are few.. it's tough to really knock a player down.

# 113 brandon27 @ 09/10/15 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Yeah.. I see this too. I also do see times where I can't get a shot off.

I beat Edmonton 5-0, but possession wise, it was a close game. Tarasenko scored a goal where it came all the way out of the goal at least 10 feet.. was pretty cool.

During the game, the game speed went down to 2.. I know this because the game was really choppy.. I set it back to 3 and it was fine.. but it changed on its own.. weird...

At least the big hits are few.. it's tough to really knock a player down.
One of the things I really like are the lack of the big hits. It's nice to not see guys just leveling one another like it's a football game. I'd like to see CPU players though loose the puck just as easily when contacted as player controlled players do, but the lack of big bone crushing hits is nice to see. Nicely done this year IMO

# 114 Gerg04 @ 09/10/15 10:41 PM
A few minor (?) complaints.

Madden did a WONDERFUL job of introducing new camera angles and cut scenes. New pre and post whistle camera angles would go a long way to making things feel fresh.

I have always hated when certain things /plays were guaranteed. So I love how cross-crease passes are not automatic. And the defense actually breaks them up. But, I feel now that THAT is almost too automatic now, it's like the D never misses the puck or has them bounce off the stick. There should be an equal amount of missed or broken up pucks regardless of O or D in front of the crease.

Why can't I make touch passes online? I don't have enough a sample size offline, but I think I'm using manual passing (maybe I'm not). But the fact is if I tap pass and my teammate is 2 feet away it shouldn't be a rocket pass. Unless of course I make the mistake of holding pass too long, which in these cases I'm not.

# 115 jyoung @ 09/10/15 10:57 PM
I was hoping that the crowd atmosphere would be better for playoff games than it is for regular season games, so I simmed ahead to a Stanley Cup Final clinching game between Anaheim and Tampa. Unfortunately, the crowd is still really quiet even in Cup games.

NBA Live still has the best crowds in sports gaming IMO. NHL's crowds are near the bottom of the genre as far as activeness and excitement go.

It also looks the like Stanley Cup celebration scene is pretty similar to what it was in NHL 15. The cup ceremony starts at timestamp 26:30 if anyone just wants to see that.

# 116 Razor Rex @ 09/10/15 11:59 PM
Are you able to create a player with the preview?
If so do you still have to choose a name that the announcer will call you by,
or have they let it go back to having the number called?

(IE... I create a player last name Brown. Brown is not in the list of play by play names, so I had to choose something close, like Backstrom.)

Anybody? I'll be grateful to you if you can check this out for me.

# 117 MaximumChaos84 @ 09/11/15 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Rex
Are you able to create a player with the preview?

If so do you still have to choose a name that the announcer will call you by,

or have they let it go back to having the number called?

(IE... I create a player last name Brown. Brown is not in the list of play by play names, so I had to choose something close, like Backstrom.)

Anybody? I'll be grateful to you if you can check this out for me.

I did Be A Pro Mode and yes if you create someone and the last name isn't in the database you have to choose a different Name from the provided ones for the Announcer to say.

# 118 jaiman @ 09/11/15 12:58 AM
Attachment 106192

This screen grab is from the latest NHL 16 cameo trailer. You can see it here: https://twitter.com/xbox/status/642096415976456192

Looks like a five-man celebration cutscene to me! How about that for false advertisement. Kind of a shame, but expected I guess.

# 119 Vikes1 @ 09/11/15 01:14 AM
Seems like some pretty mixed reviews so far...which isn't too shocking. But was still hopeful of a few more positive responses. Hopefully some of the issues ( frame rate and lack of penalties) will be patched early.

# 120 RoyalBoyle78 @ 09/11/15 01:30 AM
Played it for a few tonight, much better than last year, im liking what I see. And love the Barclays for my islanders 😁

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.