Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

2K Sports has just revealed the final two teams added to the NBA 2K16 classic teams list. With the '06-'07 Cleveland Cavaliers & '03-'04 Minnesota Timberwolves announced today, here are the 12 confirmed classic teams added to the game.
  • '06-'07 Cleveland Cavaliers
  • '03-'04 Minnesota Timberwolves
  • '04-'05 Phoenix Suns
  • '05-'06 Miami Heat
  • '12-'13 Miami Heat
  • '03-'04 Detroit Pistons
  • '07-'08 Houston Rockets
  • '99-'00 Toronto Raptors
  • '07-08 Boston Celtics
  • '00-'01 Los Angeles Lakers
  • '02-'03 Dallas Mavericks
  • '99-'00 Portland Trail Blazers

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 scottyp180 @ 09/10/15 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash2015
Where's the 08 lakers to go with the 08 celtics?

I don't think anyone wanted the wolves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're joking about the TWolves right? I think that team and a prime KG was an anticipated addition. I for one am pumped to play with this team.

# 102 BA2929 @ 09/10/15 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I think the question remains, however, what makes us believe that 2K has to cut teams?
Disc storage isn't infinite. They're going to run up against the limit at some point, most likely. They're already up towards 50GB as it stands right now.

I'm definitely not saying I want the teams gone because I like them in there, but if there are things that'll go it'll be really old school teams first.

# 103 mt8732 @ 09/10/15 04:39 PM
Yea they should get rid of 98 lakers team and put in the 09 team. There's not much classic about them plus there's no nick van exel. The 2000 team is the classic one. And if you're gunna put in the 07 cavs why not the spurs. I mean they did actually sweep the cavs that year ijs

# 104 VDusen04 @ 09/10/15 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Disc storage isn't infinite. They're going to run up against the limit at some point, most likely. They're already up towards 50GB as it stands right now.

I'm definitely not saying I want the teams gone because I like them in there, but if there are things that'll go first it'll be really old school teams first.
I'd venture to say, in that case, there's many other routes they could go to carve out more space. In the scheme of things, I have doubts that single teams take up a ton of storage, though I cannot say with certainty. Even so, with 2K supposedly branching off into high school and college areas to some degree, and Euroleague, and with NBA 2KTV and the bazillion other heavy-but-not-totally-necessary inclusions, I'm not thinking cutting four classic teams is going to make much of a difference one way or another.

If 2K came across a storage crisis and they had to cut all the fat, then yeah, I could see some classic teams getting the chop. However, there's no real hint that 2K is near that type of situation. As a result, removing a handful of teams seems to serve nothing more than a negative purpose for the consumer, in my opinion.

# 105 scottyp180 @ 09/10/15 04:42 PM
Not to be negative about people's hopes and expectations but did people really expect the addition of any 90s teams? It seemed pretty evident after the annoucement of the first few teams that 2K was going for post 2000 teams. The 99-00 teams we're the closest we were going to get to the 90s

# 106 noodlebombz @ 09/10/15 04:43 PM
Dang, I really wanted last year's lakers. Worst record in their history and kobe as their main man. Woulda made their fans happy since most of them are complaining about the lack of their historic teams available.

# 107 lakers24 @ 09/10/15 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlebombz
Dang, I really wanted last year's lakers. Worst record in their history and kobe as their main man. Woulda made their fans happy since most of them are complaining about the lack of their historic teams available.
Wth are you talking about

# 108 24ct @ 09/10/15 04:46 PM
Well that Cavs team is the team that was LeBrons break out year.

I just don't think any 2000 team is classic tho.

# 109 BA2929 @ 09/10/15 04:48 PM
Quote:
I'd venture to say, in that case, there's many other routes they could go to carve out more space. In the scheme of things, I have doubts that single teams take up a ton of storage, though I cannot say with certainty. Even so, with 2K supposedly branching off into high school and college areas to some degree, and Euroleague, and with NBA 2KTV and the bazillion other heavy-but-not-totally-necessary inclusions, I'm not thinking cutting four classic teams is going to make much of a difference one way or another.

If 2K came across a storage crisis and they had to cut all the fat, then yeah, I could see some classic teams getting the chop. However, there's no real hint that 2K is near that type of situation. As a result, removing a handful of teams seems to serve nothing more than a negative purpose for the consumer, in my opinion.
You're probably right. They could even offer the classic teams as a day-1 digital download if they had to really cut some space.

Here's to adding more old teams!

# 110 ASUBoy93 @ 09/10/15 04:50 PM
I really don't like them adding the 06-07 Cavs. No one to play with really but a younger LeBron, doesn't spike my interest, if it does for other cool. At least there are a good amount of teams on the list overall that I want to play with. Good job overall 2k.

# 111 Sellaz32 @ 09/10/15 04:50 PM
I have never really understood 2K's logic on some of the teams but surely there is one. Why have the 85 Sixers instead of 83 that is considered a top 10 all time team if you can't have Barkley?

# 112 lakers24 @ 09/10/15 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct
Well that Cavs team is the team that was LeBrons break out year.

I just don't think any 2000 team is classic tho.
Honestly, I just think they should change the adjective as to not give certain expectations. For example calling them retro teams as oppossed to legendary or classic.

# 113 BMDinTDOT @ 09/10/15 04:52 PM
Im happy with these selections as both were on my want list.
Really wanted Donyell, Big Z and Hughes for other classic teams
I want to build myself.

As for the Wolves glad to be getting Spree but its bitter sweet with
no Houston and Camby. Hoping Oliver Miller and Gary Trent make
it in because ill need them as well.

# 114 Sellaz32 @ 09/10/15 04:54 PM
It's just now occurring to me that those original classic teams were put in there for classic match ups. Over time they just started adding more teams. Still hate they couldn't get that 77 Blazer team to face the Sixers.

# 115 lakers24 @ 09/10/15 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellaz32
I have never really understood 2K's logic on some of the teams but surely there is one. Why have the 85 Sixers instead of 83 that is considered a top 10 all time team if you can't have Barkley?

If im not mistaken, they thought they had him some years back but things fell through last minute so they probably just kept the premade team.

# 116 VDusen04 @ 09/10/15 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellaz32
My theory on the Sixers team is this: NBA 2K originally banked on Charles Barkley coming aboard for 2K12, with all his fellow legend compatriots (even Kareem agreed to be included, for crying out loud).

If 2K was planning on Barkley coming aboard, the '85 Sixers would have made sense. As you acknowledged, without Barkley, the '85 team makes no sense, at least considering the '83 team was out there and available.

If I had to guess, a potential '93 Suns team was pulled altogether because without Charles Barkley, that team loses its identity outright (I swear I saw cyberfaces of many of his teammates, like Mark West, hacked on 2K12). On the other hand, I hypothesized that 2K felt Julius Erving could still carry the 1985 Sixers team they'd already created, even in the absence of Barkley.

Plus, it may have had to stay as a 1985 team to make it compatible with the Legends Showcase they had that year (where two teams from the same year faced one another).

Edit: Sigh, Lakers24 already summed it up in 243 less words...

# 117 zrohman @ 09/10/15 05:00 PM
Really? No kings teams of the early 2000's??

Webber, Divac. Peja, Christie, Bibby and Bobby... Scott Pollard,

Come on.. How do they not make it???? WAAAAY more classic than the early T Wolves

# 118 Sellaz32 @ 09/10/15 05:01 PM
Quote:
My theory on the Sixers team is this: NBA 2K originally banked on Charles Barkley coming aboard for 2K12, with all his fellow legend compatriots (even Kareem agreed to be included, for crying out loud).

If 2K was planning on Barkley coming aboard, the '85 Sixers would have made sense. As you acknowledged, without Barkley, the '85 team makes no sense, at least considering the '83 team was out there and available.

If I had to guess, a potential '93 Suns team was pulled altogether because without Charles Barkley, that team loses its identity outright (I swear I saw cyberfaces of many of his teammates, like Mark West, hacked on 2K12). On the other hand, I hypothesized that 2K felt Julius Erving could still carry the 1985 Sixers team they'd already created, even in the absence of Barkley.

Plus, it may have had to stay as a 1985 team to make it compatible with the Legends Showcase they had that year (where two teams from the same year faced one another).

I've had way too much time to think about all this...

Good points. Yes there was a CF for frank Johnson even. They used Chambers and Cellabos in the DLC. I bet they were banking on him.

# 119 allBthere @ 09/10/15 05:03 PM
[quote=VDusen04;2047650874]I think that becomes the question now. Did someone take care of these teams, applying the customary 2K Details & Little Things Stamp of Approval, or will it be another Larry "TINA TURNER" Bird situation?

fixed lol

# 120 lakers24 @ 09/10/15 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrohman
Really? No kings teams of the early 2000's??

Webber, Divac. Peja, Christie, Bibby and Bobby... Scott Pollard,

Come on.. How do they not make it???? WAAAAY more classic than the early T Wolves
No Webber, no point pretty much. Also that 04 Wolves team was a great squad.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.