Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Check out the new NBA 2K16 trailer titled, Livin' Da Dream, A Spike Lee Joint.

The footage features an inside preview of this year's MyCAREER experience as directed by Spike Lee, specific to some of the key individuals, decisions and experiences players can expect face on their path to NBA stardom.

Make sure to read more about it here.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 VDusen04 @ 09/15/15 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ailer-and-more

Hope it calms down some of the nonsense
Whoa, totally missed that article; a lot of good information in there. With the cinematic elements apparently coming to an end once a player hits the NBA, I wonder if this could usher in the best of both worlds i.e. a linear storyline leading up to the league then free reign upon arrival. I am surely intrigued.

# 122 Sundown @ 09/15/15 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ailer-and-more

Hope it calms down some of the nonsense
Are we sure this is true? All the lines that have been recorded say "Freq" or Frequency Vibrations, and all official 2K sources suggest this is the nickname you're stuck with. I haven't seen anything contrary to that from a 2K source at all.

How would it work if you can renamed your character's nickname? Does the audio just go silent during the name if it's something other than Frequency?

"Introducing the next NBA Superstar... ..."

"It's the way it's always been. It's up to .... .... first."

My strong hunch is that we're stuck with the nickname until I see official 2K confirmation, especially when 2K folks are spinning it positively as something to find out about in the narrative themselves.

# 123 VDusen04 @ 09/15/15 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Are we sure this is true? All the lines that have been recorded say "Freq" or Frequency Vibrations, and all official 2K sources suggest this is the nickname you're stuck with. I haven't seen anything contrary to that from a 2K source at all.

How would it work if you can renamed your character's nickname? Does the audio just go silent during the name if it's something other than Frequency?

My strong hunch is that we're stuck with the nickname until I see official 2K confirmation, especially when 2K folks are spinning it positively as something to find out about in the narrative themselves.
I interpreted 23's link as saying the guy's actual name, Frequency Vibrations, can be changed. However, the nickname "Freq" will remain, regardless of his full name.

# 124 Taer @ 09/15/15 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Whoa, totally missed that article; a lot of good information in there. With the cinematic elements apparently coming to an end once a player hits the NBA, I wonder if this could usher in the best of both worlds i.e. a linear storyline leading up to the league then free reign upon arrival. I am surely intrigued.
This is my hope as well. I see this year as two things:

1: The last hurrah of whoever wanted to turn the mode into a story-board mode and tell the dream story of an inner city street baller making it in the NBA (a take on real 1970's history). My guess it would be the president or whoever keeps inserting himself with quotes, trying to show all us who hated this what we'll miss... Respect to Spike Lee and his movie but storyboard story-telling doesn't belong in a career mode.

2: An actual return to what makes a true career great with the off-season simulator and choices we been asking for years being put in. Sim gameplay being fully enabled this year is very key in my opinion. Hopefully we will see this going forward.

This is my opinion and me reading tea leaves. YMMV, all is well if y'all disagree with me.
Quote:
I interpreted 23's link as saying the guy's actual name, Frequency Vibrations, can be changed. However, the nickname "Freq" will remain, regardless of his full name.
This exactly.

# 125 23 @ 09/15/15 02:04 AM
Quote:

Well I trust Mr Mazique as he's a really cool reporter/media guy. I'm sure he's speaking on his own experience when he went up there. That said

I agree with you also Sundown in the fact that the hype thing has gotten so far out of control that they're bypassing information either off to guys like Dustin on twitter or completely avoiding them altogether.

I don't see this getting any better at this rate. It's one reason why I appreciate a guy like BdoubleO for how much time he took out to answer every single question he could.

# 126 Sundown @ 09/15/15 02:09 AM
Quote:
This is my guess too, which is unfortunate. It would have been nice to at least have 3-4 nicknames we can choose from to at least make it "ours". It wouldn't have been *that* much more effort to record a few extra snippets for some lines.

I hope we can at least change it once we're in the league. If Spike Lee needs a name to sell his story, that's cool. But once we're in the NBA, we need our identity to be ours-- especially if Lee's story is no longer in play and there's no narrative benefit to having a forced nickname.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
This is my hope as well. I see this year as two things:

1: The last hurrah of whoever wanted to turn the mode into a story-board mode and tell the dream story of an inner city street baller making it in the NBA (a take on real 1970's history). My guess it would be the president or whoever keeps inserting himself with quotes, trying to show all us who hated this what we'll miss... Respect to Spike Lee and his movie but storyboard story-telling doesn't belong in a career mode.

2: An actual return to what makes a true career great with the off-season simulator and choices we been asking for years being put in. Sim gameplay being fully enabled this year is very key in my opinion. Hopefully we will see this going forward.

This is my opinion and me reading tea leaves. YMMV, all is well if y'all disagree with me.

This exactly.
I hope this is the case and we will return to a more free-form but nuanced, realistic, and in-depth NBA career simulation. That said, there is nothing wrong with actual narrative elements and good execution and acting in an NBA sim. Having family members, entourage, agents, players, and GM's act out their parts with good deliveries to fill in an open narrative adds immersion to the experience-- so long as it doesn't railroad you into a story that isn't yours and represents "you" poorly.

Unfortunately, the MyCareer of the last couple of years was the opposite of that-- poor acting and execution and forcing your player to act in unprofessional and ridiculous ways, because... story? To say nothing about how GSW champion coach Steve Kerr would be forced out for Warriors rival coach Doc Rivers because again... story?

Having Harlan and crew expound on your player's achievements and background would be great. Having Ernie, Shaq, and Kenny share their takes about your player and then seque from that conversation into one of their usual ribbing sessions while working your player into their jokes would be amazing! Having superstars be interviewed by Doris Burke about the difficulty of being matched up against you and their thoughts on how to approach your game as a opponent, or on the playoff podium elaborating how they were defending you-- TAKE MY MONEY.

Now let us start Twitter beef with Hassan Whiteside written by Hassan Whiteside himself. THAT would be a proper MyCareer.

# 127 Taer @ 09/15/15 02:10 AM
Quote:
... How would it work if you can renamed your character's nickname? Does the audio just go silent during the name if it's something other than Frequency?

As I said earlier in this thread:

I bet works exactly like it does in 2k15, inserting "Freq" in place of whatever old nickname you chose in 2k15.

So in the introductions the PA announcer would use your chosen name but in Doris Burke's side-line reporting on your "record" game last ime you played they'd use the nickname of "freq"

95% of the time they'll use your chosen name I bet.

# 128 SteveQ @ 09/15/15 02:15 AM
Although I don't wanna be from Harlem and I'm not a fan of the nickname I don't think any of those are deal breakers for me. As long as my name is around the nickname I'll be fine. Now the Harlem thing I'll get over by going to Texas for college. So with that said this mode will hopefully be the best experience I've ever had in mycareer. The only one that comes close from the look of it would be 2K11 but this looks to be much more deep.

Also, some people reacting so angrily to the nickname and other things about the mode should wait for all of the information to be released throughout the week. The fact that there is more information to be put out about this mode makes me pretty excited.

# 129 Tunechid @ 09/15/15 02:25 AM
Maybe what spike lee is saying is that you make your own story after college instead of it being a forced story. Just a thought

# 130 Sundown @ 09/15/15 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Well I trust Mr Mazique as he's a really cool reporter/media guy. I'm sure he's speaking on his own experience when he went up there. That said

I agree with you also Sundown in the fact that the hype thing has gotten so far out of control that they're bypassing information either off to guys like Dustin on twitter or completely avoiding them altogether.

I don't see this getting any better at this rate. It's one reason why I appreciate a guy like BdoubleO for how much time he took out to answer every single question he could.
Usually I take avoiding questions as an indication that the answer isn't one we'd like. It's worked pretty well so far. We just need to simply account for the fact that any positive answer would actually be relayed by marketing.

To be fair, 2K's marketing has been less tease-y this year. But then it feels as if the release of information has been compressed to a shorter timeframe this year as well. That could be because we never got a Gamescom video, and had to wait until 2 weeks before launch to even get blurry, leaked broadcast cam video.

You know what's weird? That 2K doesn't even have a proper website. nba2k.com is the MyPlayer portal. We have to go here or YouTube to find gameplay videos, and here for in-depth developer blogs. Seems like all of that should be centrally located and well formatted in a nice site.

But then again, what do I know. I guess kids only use twitter and stuff nowadays.

# 131 23 @ 09/15/15 02:44 AM
Quote:
Usually I take avoiding questions as an indication that the answer isn't one we'd like. It's worked pretty well so far. We just need to simply account for the fact that any positive answer would actually be relayed by marketing.

To be fair, 2K's marketing has been less tease-y this year. But then it feels as if the release of information has been compressed to a shorter timeframe this year as well. That could be because we never got a Gamescom video, and had to wait until 2 weeks before launch to even get blurry, leaked broadcast cam video.

You know what's weird? That 2K doesn't even have a proper website. nba2k.com is the MyPlayer portal. We have to go here or YouTube to find gameplay videos, and here for in-depth developer blogs. Seems like all of that should be centrally located and well formatted in a nice site.

But then again, what do I know. I guess kids only use twitter and stuff nowadays.
No there was an answer given today but it was another "wait and see" "coming soon" "we're not talking about that yet" "preorder and be surprised for yourself" type post which is ridiculous in itself.

You can look it up for yourself if you don't believe me, but one thing people here loved on the old OS about 2k was, when they were sent interview questions and it came back to the site if something wasn't there the answer was

"no"

"No, not this year"

"we didn't have enough time to get that in this time"

Wasn't what we wanted to hear but it was straight forward and respected.

I see a particular dev in here trying to be transparent and keep the level of overexpectation off of the already sky high expectation and then I see the marketing contradict that in the name of hype.

Makes zero sense. There is a time for everything, there is a time for hype but there is a time for answers as well.

# 132 splash2ndcousin @ 09/15/15 02:56 AM
What I find funny about people complaining about being known as Freq, is that is a nickname. In real life it's pretty uncommon to choose your own nickname unless you're someone like Shaq. You guys think Big Baby came up with that himself? Durant doesn't like Slim Reaper, Wilt supposedly wasn't a fan of 'The Stilt' and The Patron Saint of Underdogs also sucks but obviously Curry didn't come up with that

# 133 Trackball @ 09/15/15 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash2ndcousin
What I find funny about people complaining about being known as Freq, is that is a nickname. In real life it's pretty uncommon to choose your own nickname unless you're someone like Shaq. You guys think Big Baby came up with that himself? Durant doesn't like Slim Reaper, Wilt supposedly wasn't a fan of 'The Stilt' and The Patron Saint of Underdogs also sucks but obviously Curry didn't come up with that
I think the problem was mainly because the back of the jersey read "VIBRATIONS".

Unless it was one of those games where both teams are allowed to have their players wear their nicknames on the backs of their jerseys instead of their real-life surnames (which would admittedly be pretty cool to implement into 2K), this makes the trailer come off like our first name is Frequency and our surname is Vibrations.

This is creating a massive misunderstanding.

We can name our player whatever we want; "Frequency Vibrations" is just his nickname. But the trailer didn't make that clear at all.

# 134 Bulletproof86 @ 09/15/15 04:01 AM
Awesome Trailer!

I like the new features and cutscenes, hopefully the storyline will be deep!

And Guys chill out, the Nickname is just one of 100. So u decide which nickname, position, etc. your player get.

# 135 Jakeness23 @ 09/15/15 04:21 AM
Eh... not really my cup of tea. I'll stick with My League and MyGM again this year and for the foreseeable future until you can have the career you want, not some scripted story.

# 136 nox @ 09/15/15 05:32 AM
what if after completing the spike lee story you can start a new career skipping the story stuff?

It'd give more replay value while keeping the high school and college in, like a new game plus in other games

# 137 Sundown @ 09/15/15 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash2ndcousin

But nicknames usually actually connect with something about the player or something about their game. They might not like it but it sticks because it fits.

Nothing about Frequency Vibrations connects with any aspect of my personality or game, except that Spike Lee wants it to. And I bet it's the same for 99.9% of 2K players.

I therefore dub thee Sasquatch Barbeque on OS. Because reasons.

# 138 23 @ 09/15/15 05:50 AM
Quote:
But nicknames usually actually connect with something about the player or something. They might not like it but it sticks because it fits.

Nothing about Frequency Vibrations connects with any aspect of my personality or game, except that Spike Lee wants it to. And I bet it's the same for 99.9% of 2K players.

I therefore dub thee Sasquatch Barbeque on OS. Because reasons.
Basketball reasons

# 139 Sundown @ 09/15/15 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
No there was an answer given today but it was another "wait and see" "coming soon" "we're not talking about that yet" "preorder and be surprised for yourself" type post which is ridiculous in itself.

You can look it up for yourself if you don't believe me, but one thing people here loved on the old OS about 2k was, when they were sent interview questions and it came back to the site if something wasn't there the answer was

"no"

"No, not this year"

"we didn't have enough time to get that in this time"

Wasn't what we wanted to hear but it was straight forward and respected.

I see a particular dev in here trying to be transparent and keep the level of overexpectation off of the already sky high expectation and then I see the marketing contradict that in the name of hype.

Makes zero sense. There is a time for everything, there is a time for hype but there is a time for answers as well.

So I am still confused. Can we or can't we change our nick?

I suppose that's your point. Heh. All those evasive answers makes me think no.

# 140 23 @ 09/15/15 05:54 AM
Quote:
So I am still confused. Can we or can't we change our nick?

I suppose that's your point. Heh. All those evasive answers makes me think no.
Exactly

How's that mystery making you feel

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.