Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

2K has just announced NBA 2K16 has set an unprecedented franchise record, selling-in over four million units worldwide within the first week of release. Digital sales have doubled from last year and online games have nearly tripled.

Quote:
“Our goal was simple, make NBA 2K16 the most playable, authentic basketball experience ever,” said Greg Thomas, president of Visual Concepts. “The development team demonstrated tremendous dedication to recreating every nuance of the sport both on and off-court, which has been the driving force behind our early success.”

“Congratulations to 2K Sports on their early record-breaking success with NBA 2K16,” said Matt Holt, NBA vice president, global merchandising. “Each year, 2K has continued to raise their commitment to innovation, authenticity and gameplay - bringing fans the very best with the NBA 2K franchise.”

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 CEOHaize @ 10/02/15 05:13 PM
What makes this even more impressive is that it took NBA 2K15 until Feburary 2015 to sell 5.5 million copies and almost a year to sale 7 million copies.

# 42 jcwkings @ 10/02/15 05:30 PM
I think the NBA as a whole is really hitting its stride in terms of popularity. Social Media effect on sports has really benefited the NBA the most of all the big sports because at its core the NBA is about marketing its stars. Through social media every player and especially the stars let the public get to know them on a huge level, more than in any era in the past creating a more emotional connection between players and fans. Just think back 15 years ago, did any of us know what T-Mac, Chris Webber, Vince Carter, KG, Kobe, Mike Bibby etc. were doing after games, before games, hanging out with their families etc. Nope, we just saw them for 2 hours 3 or 4 times per week on our televisions and thats about it apart from professional style interviews where they are giving canned answers and Inside Stuff once a week gave you a glimpse.

# 43 lordfr33 @ 10/02/15 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyc
Key word " selling-in". Basically mean they have sold 4 million in to the channel. 4 Million copies have not been sold. Always read the press release in marketing speak. For developers, shipping to retailers means the game will probably sold.....at some point. It may take months..... but the inventory will be depleted at some point. The NPD data will give you an idea (not the full picture) of sell-thru when that is released.
oooookay..... what's your agenda....?

# 44 Quentin32 @ 10/02/15 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarlndr
IGN is saying 4Mil shipped. Is it sold or shipped?

Sent from my SM-E500H using Tapatalk
I think u meant gamespot. But it's just like gamespot to rain on 2k parade being they are in bed with EA

# 45 CaseIH @ 10/02/15 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdipper88
Actually , SDS has been the standard for sports games for many years now. They listen and interact with the consumer.

I agree the people that make MLBTS are the gold standard of sports gaming, but I will say this year NBA2k16 is right there with MLBTS and I even say as long as the devs don't break the game by listening to some of the crybaby online players like they did last year that NBA2k16 from a gameplay standpoint will beat out MLBTS. Which is really hard for me to say as their is no bigger fan of MLBTS than myself but NBA2k16 gameplay is by far the ebst its been ever.

# 46 CaseIH @ 10/02/15 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwkings
I think the NBA as a whole is really hitting its stride in terms of popularity. Social Media effect on sports has really benefited the NBA the most of all the big sports because at its core the NBA is about marketing its stars. Through social media every player and especially the stars let the public get to know them on a huge level, more than in any era in the past creating a more emotional connection between players and fans. Just think back 15 years ago, did any of us know what T-Mac, Chris Webber, Vince Carter, KG, Kobe, Mike Bibby etc. were doing after games, before games, hanging out with their families etc. Nope, we just saw them for 2 hours 3 or 4 times per week on our televisions and thats about it apart from professional style interviews where they are giving canned answers and Inside Stuff once a week gave you a glimpse.

I do think the NBA is in a growth cycle, and probably has some todo with all that social media BS. Id say a lot of it is also because there are some really good guys in the league that are very likable, and do good outside the basketball arena, like Steph Curry, and LBJ, just to name 2, but there are several more really good guys in the league, Obviously there will always be a few pieces of trash in the league, not to mention any names, but not sure there is as many as there has been in past years.

# 47 Sinner @ 10/02/15 06:26 PM
Well shipped or sold there is a very high demand somewhere for NBA 2k16 to the point that it's a franchise record.....does that make everybody happy?

# 48 HypoLuxa13 @ 10/02/15 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
I think we were the only ones to witness that rant lol
I saw it. Just shook my head and moved on....

# 49 iLLosophy @ 10/03/15 09:17 AM
NBA 2K16 could potentially be the 2nd best selling sports game this year behind FIFA 16.

# 50 8KB24 @ 10/03/15 12:13 PM
I live in Croatia and you literally can't buy the game for PC in here. It's impossible. All are sold out.

# 51 tril @ 10/04/15 03:49 PM
alot of valid points.
The popularity of basketball now, is a key factor to sales. you can not ignore this fact.
However, this also is a result of the 2k team being passionate and dedicated to producing a true authentic NBA experience.
this is years in the making, its being consistent to a vision and building on each title. every game the NBA 2k team has released has been good to great.

this the reason why fans of 2k sports are always hoping that they can jump back into other sports titles, especially football.

# 52 Perry_West @ 10/07/15 12:01 PM
They would make an Excellent NFL game,
then create a My Career directed by Antoine Fuqua,
and offer the option to buy everything via VC
or grind away days earning incremental amounts.
All would be forgiven due to excellent gameplay.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.