Home
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR News Post

Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR title update 1.04 is available now for PlayStation 4 weighing in at 3.7GB. It should arrive soon for Xbox One. The update includes the free Treasure Island course (check out the trailer here), which is available in all modes. They also removed Night Club celebration animations from created golfers in normal golfing modes.

UPDATE: It is now available for Xbox One users.

Check out the full details below.
  • Added Treasure Island as a playable course. It is available in Play Now, Online H2H and Online Tournaments.
  • Added Dustin Johnson as a playable character.
  • Updated attributes of licensed golfers based on real world performance.
  • Various Matchmaking stability fixes.
  • Various career stability fixes.
  • Various audio fixes.
  • Various apparel fixes.
  • Various East Lake fixes.
  • Various performance fixes.
  • Various physics tweaks that build on last patch’s improvements.
  • Improved eye movement on all characters.
  • Removed Night Club celebration animations from created golfer in normal golfing modes.
  • Fixed speed up ball flight from speeding up clock incorrectly in Night Club Challenge.
  • Fixed accessing golfer select in edge case situations in Night Club Challenge.
  • Improved the physics on buckets for Night Club challenges that have them.
  • Improved culling logic on objects that get between the golfer and the camera.
  • Improved default aim logic.
  • Fixed an issue with settings when signing out of a profile.
Source - EA Sports

Game: Rory McIlroy PGA TOURReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 12 - View All
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Videos
Member Comments
# 21 goillini03 @ 10/30/15 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I'm shocked at the claim that the fantasy courses are among the most played. Shocked. Absolutely shocked.

Raise your hand if you play them. Seriously. And by play, I mean more than once or twice to just check it out.

I dont get it, who buys a PGA tour golf game, to place fake courses.

To each their own. I get it. That's cool.

I'm just... surprised to say the least.
This is a great question. I have to wonder if people buy it and play these course with their kids? I know that there is a large portion of screenshots that I saw where people were trying to ace every hole in parcel storm. Par 3s also take less time, so I can see that playing into some of the edge in plays.

I also would like to see a break down of total plays by swing type.

When the game first came out, my friends and I played each course once. But always played the real course a few times until everyone stopped playing. The lack of updates, celebrations and content might have also pushed the sim golfer away, like it did with my friends, so the arcade golfers are making up most of the plays.

# 22 HANDSWARD_EA @ 10/30/15 01:55 PM
The telemetry for the courses played come from any user that is connected to the EA Servers, regardless of what mode is being played (excluding night club cause it doesn't have the "round played" telemetry tag). Career is by far the most played mode so Paracel Storm having the most rounds played and not being in career is extremely impressive. It speaks volumes to just how liked it is.

If you're curious about the gameplay styles those numbers look like this:
70% - Arcade
10% - Tour
10% - Classic
10% - Custom (of these each swing mechanic is used fairly evenly)

Classic style was actually the highest used after the first 2 weeks of the game being out but my guess is it was mostly casuals who fell off after a short period of time. As usual, the arcade way of playing the game is far and away the most popular. This is the case every year. I know that may be hard for many of the sim audience to hear, but it is the reality. But I also think many arcade users are playing in a sim fashion. By that I mean, even with all the aids you get in arcade, they still shoot realistic golf scores. The average 18 hole score in arcade right now comes in around -5. With as many users there are that shoot -18 or better, there has to be a lot of even par rounds to get that kind of average.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling on here. Figured this insight would be useful info.

# 23 brandon27 @ 10/30/15 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDSWARD_EA
The telemetry for the courses played come from any user that is connected to the EA Servers, regardless of what mode is being played (excluding night club cause it doesn't have the "round played" telemetry tag). Career is by far the most played mode so Paracel Storm having the most rounds played and not being in career is extremely impressive. It speaks volumes to just how liked it is.

70% - Arcade
10% - Tour
10% - Classic

Classic style was actually the highest used after the first 2 weeks of the game being out but my guess is it was mostly casuals who fell off after a short period of time. As usual, the arcade way of playing the game is far and away the most popular. This is the case every year. I know that may be hard for many of the sim audience to hear, but it is the reality. But I also think many arcade users are playing in a sim fashion. By that I mean, even with all the aids you get in arcade, they still shoot realistic golf scores. The average 18 hole score in arcade right now comes in around -5. With as many users there are that shoot -18 or better, there has to be a lot of even par rounds to get that kind of average.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

# 24 BKJ7 @ 10/30/15 03:42 PM
Any plans to allow 18 hole matches in online ranked? I'm not a huge fan of this 9 hole format. I want to play a full round of golf... People quit more often in my experience because they have no time to make a come back if they start bad. 👎

# 25 goillini03 @ 10/30/15 08:35 PM
Quote:

70% - Arcade
10% - Tour
10% - Classic

Good info and thanks for sharing! How much do you think that Paracel Storm being a par 3 course boosts is played number? I would have to think that is a huge driving force.

# 26 OnlookerDelay @ 10/30/15 10:12 PM
Quote:

70% - Arcade
10% - Tour
10% - Classic

Wow... reading this sure explains a lot to me. It's hard to swallow the fact that this game is that heavily favored by the arcade style players who would rather play fantasy courses than real ones, but it makes it easier for me to understand the current state of the game... only 10% play Custom Tour? Dayum... (sigh).

# 27 DivotMaker @ 10/31/15 10:03 AM
Quote:

70% - Arcade
10% - Tour
10% - Classic

Thanks Justin. It helps to understand the decisions being made for the game moving forward. With your comments on Career Mode, it helps to understand that a large number of users play offline which I think has been the case for years. I play 99% Career mode for two reasons. 1) I am still building up my CAG and 2) I can play TOUR Custom Advanced swing in Career, but not Online Tournaments. With the high numbers of users playing Career Mode, can we expect to hear some investment in this mode moving forward?

Also, I think it would be really cool for the online tournaments to have a "Career "Mode" feel to it. I am sure this would take significant investment in resources and would be 2nd on my list to bring forward.

Thanks again for sharing the information. Very enlightening.

# 28 Golfsprince @ 10/31/15 08:29 PM
Quote:

70% - Arcade
10% - Tour
10% - Classic

It's not as surprising. I always like to compare with NBA 2K and in last year's 2K game, many players complained about the shooting being too hard. So they made it super easy and dudes we're hitting three pointers like free throws.

The complaints stopped because the players got what they wished. The easiest three point shooting ever. And this is one of the top games of the year every year so it's not just EA golf games.

I remember one game where a guy made about 10 threes in a row.

Not to mention that in 2K16, you can buy card packs that give you special abilities when playing online like "perfect shooter" for example which all of sudden transforms you into an amazing shooter.

The cards are almost like the pin system the Tiger games used the last few years.

So it's not just EA golf with arcade preferred play.

# 29 DivotMaker @ 11/01/15 05:04 PM
LOL............

# 30 Golfsprince @ 11/02/15 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrycurran62
I gave up with this game a while ago. It was obvious that the simplistic arcade style was the most popular. Sadly people want a brainless game without having to think. The treasure island course is ludicrous. How many proper courses are there? Is it 10?
I paid £55 for this game on psn and what a waste of money. Given the numbers of people playing the brain dead option and the lack of proper course etc I was entirely correct in dumping this game. If I had bough the disc version it be worthless to sell as it achieved coaster status within weeks of release.
I love golf games but I won't play this moronic drivel.
To be fair, the fantasy courses do make you think. It's just not the type of strategy that you're thinking of.

That said, I'm looking forward to more real courses being released in the near future

# 31 Golfsprince @ 11/02/15 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini03
Good info and thanks for sharing! How much do you think that Paracel Storm being a par 3 course boosts is played number? I would have to think that is a huge driving force.
Yeah I would think so too.

For one, par-3 courses are a blast (IMO at least).

Plus they are a little quicker for those who want a more fast paced round and as we all know, we live in a fast paced world.

It also makes the rounds competitive. You have two shots for your birdie and puts pressure on the round which makes things fun.

# 32 brandon27 @ 11/04/15 10:47 AM
Played my first few rounds last night since this patch dropped.

Got to say, it sure is nice to only see regular celebrations from my golfer now. I'm quite alright with the waves to the crowd, the fist pump on big putts etc. There still always seems to be one happening, but at least it's not the goofy dancing ones.

It seems the game takes a big frame rate hit right now though during the celebration post putt. It's stuttering badly during them 9 times out of 10.

All in all though, much nicer to play without the goofy dances and stuff.

# 33 DickDalewood @ 11/11/15 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I'm shocked at the claim that the fantasy courses are among the most played. Shocked. Absolutely shocked.

Raise your hand if you play them. Seriously. And by play, I mean more than once or twice to just check it out.

I dont get it, who buys a PGA tour golf game, to place fake courses.

To each their own. I get it. That's cool.

I'm just... surprised to say the least.
I think the reason you (and others... even myself at times) find things like this so shocking is because you spend a majority of your "discussion" moments in threads and forums like OS. While the majority opinion around here focuses on "sim" that is NOT the majority opinion of the general public. The average consumer doesn't hang out on forums or the comments sections of gaming websites. They work, earn money, and occasionally buy a game they think looks cool when they have time or can afford it. Then, they just enjoy it for what it is; a fun distraction.

That's a tough viewpoint to understand but it's reality. In my line of work I manage employees that average about 25/26 yrs old. I can almost always gauge how well a game will do and/or how little it will be liked around here by their impressions. They all love Madden, CoD, etc., and their main focus is scoring/killing as much as possible with the best teams on the easiest skill levels.

While I think devs can and do try to provide options to those who want a sim experience, the smart business decision is to create an experience that caters to their largest group of supporters. The online forum opinion is the minority my friend; sometimes unfortunate but nonetheless true.

# 34 catcherforbaseball @ 11/12/15 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I think the reason you (and others... even myself at times) find things like this so shocking is because you spend a majority of your "discussion" moments in threads and forums like OS. While the majority opinion around here focuses on "sim" that is NOT the majority opinion of the general public. The average consumer doesn't hang out on forums or the comments sections of gaming websites. They work, earn money, and occasionally buy a game they think looks cool when they have time or can afford it. Then, they just enjoy it for what it is; a fun distraction.

That's a tough viewpoint to understand but it's reality. In my line of work I manage employees that average about 25/26 yrs old. I can almost always gauge how well a game will do and/or how little it will be liked around here by their impressions. They all love Madden, CoD, etc., and their main focus is scoring/killing as much as possible with the best teams on the easiest skill levels.

While I think devs can and do try to provide options to those who want a sim experience, the smart business decision is to create an experience that caters to their largest group of supporters. The online forum opinion is the minority my friend; sometimes unfortunate but nonetheless true.
Well said.

I will also say this in addition, players who take the time to visit and post on these forums are the consumers who desire to let the employer know of their concerns/thoughts. Many are irrelevant and some are on issues they cannot change. Yes, we are the minority as forum posters but that shouldn't be the reason companies like EA Sports forgets us. Hopefully, most of us, are here to make the game better. Think of it as reviews for products on websites. Companies look at those to make future products better even though those who post reviews are in the minority. Yes, we should keep in mind that we are the minority but also still understand that our voice does matter, as long as it works toward making the game better.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.