Home
FIFA 16 News Post

Released last week for PC users, FIFA 16 title update #5 is available now for PlayStation 4 users. Check out the details below.

The update is scheduled to arrive for Xbox One soon, but an exact release date was not specified.

UPDATE: (12-17) The update is available now for Xbox One users.

Four key areas of improvements:
  • Penalties and referee decisions
  • Passing
  • Defensive pressure
  • Player positioning
Quote:
With that, we are announcing and deploying a number of changes to make FIFA 16 more balanced and responsive in gameplay. These changes are in addition to tuning to passing featured in the last update.
  • Improvements to the Rules and Physics systems to have better referee decisions and help address penalty decisions.
  • Behavioral changes in ‘Secondary Contain’ and ‘Interceptions’ to help balance high-pressure situations.
  • Improvements in how quickly fatigue effects occur for players using ‘Aggressive Interceptions’ and ‘Secondary Contain’. This could, in turn, have an impact on your ability to apply high pressure as the game progresses and your players become increasingly fatigued.
  • Instances where no auto tackle launched even when positioned properly.
  • Improvements in the positioning system to allow for better attacking runs and support.
In addition to the above, EA has made minor changes to attribute boosts provided by Chemistry in FIFA Ultimate Team, which affects passing, interceptions, and long shots.

Game: FIFA 16Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 2 - View All
FIFA 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Cuban_Linx @ 12/15/15 09:02 AM
Nice update! CPU teams finally pass the ball with intention to attack and take risk instead of just playing keep away. I also noticed the refereeing logic is somewhat improved and they allow me to make tackles and generally counter the CPU's more freeflowing offensive mindset by letting me play defense. This all definitely makes the game more open and fun. It's incredibly enjoyable at times.

One area of improvement tho. The CPU still has an insane passing accuracy. It's still impossible to get them below 91% accuracy. This combined with how they're now willing to take risk turns some of their attacks into unstoppable Barça like attacks. I just played Burnley with Arsenal and they had a gorgeous possession of 17 straight passes that ended with a through ball to their striker sitting wide open in the box and finishing. They ended up with a 96% accuracy on the game. This would be pretty realistic if I was playing Barcelona, but I'm not.

Overall the game plays much smoother and free flowing and it's a great step up from before the update. But there's still some work to be done on how comfortable CPU players are dribbling and passing the ball around despite their positions (even goalies) and skills suggesting they shouldn't be able to. Also, the CPU still does a terrible job recognizing when they should just clear the ball out.

# 2 bad_philanthropy @ 12/15/15 09:21 AM
I'm curious about opinions on foul frequency post-patch. My sample size is small at this point, but it seems any foul by the cpu is rare.

# 3 DBMcGee3 @ 12/15/15 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban_Linx
Nice update! CPU teams finally pass the ball with intention to attack and take risk instead of just playing keep away. I also noticed the refereeing logic is somewhat improved and they allow me to make tackles and generally counter the CPU's more freeflowing offensive mindset by letting me play defense. This all definitely makes the game more open and fun. It's incredibly enjoyable at times.

One area of improvement tho. The CPU still has an insane passing accuracy. It's still impossible to get them below 91% accuracy. This combined with how they're now willing to take risk turns some of their attacks into unstoppable Barça like attacks. I just played Burnley with Arsenal and they had a gorgeous possession of 17 straight passes that ended with a through ball to their striker sitting wide open in the box and finishing. They ended up with a 96% accuracy on the game. This would be pretty realistic if I was playing Barcelona, but I'm not.

Overall the game plays much smoother and free flowing and it's a great step up from before the update. But there's still some work to be done on how comfortable CPU players are dribbling and passing the ball around despite their positions (even goalies) and skills suggesting they shouldn't be able to. Also, the CPU still does a terrible job recognizing when they should just clear the ball out.
This sounds good, thanks for posting your impressions. I'm stuck at work, dying to play FIFA.

What level are you playing on? I'd agree that the passing %s are too high (both user and CPU), but I rarely see them over 90% and never as high as 96%. Usually I'm around 82-83% and they're always a few points better than that, 85-86%.

I've also not really had issues with CPU clearances. If anything they usually just kick it laterally out of bounds instead of trying to play it into my backfield, but I seldom pick their pocket for cheap goals in or around the box.

Really looking forward to trying the patch, thanks again for the info.

# 4 bad_philanthropy @ 12/15/15 09:51 AM
Eight games in I'm pretty disappointed with the patch. While the nuts and bolts gameplay changes are good, fouls have become far too scarce. Didn't see the cpu commit one yellow card offense in eight matches.

# 5 zizoux @ 12/15/15 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Eight games in I'm pretty disappointed with the patch. While the nuts and bolts gameplay changes are good, fouls have become far too scarce. Didn't see the cpu commit one yellow card offense in eight matches.
Which difficulty are you playing on? I've just finished my first match after the patch, 36 min. in CPU commited 2 yellow cards, both of which were pushing in the back. Actually it's first time I've seen CPU was penalized with a card for that

# 6 bad_philanthropy @ 12/15/15 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizoux
Which difficulty are you playing on? I've just finished my first match after the patch, CPU commited 2 yellow cards, both of which were pushing in the back. Actually it's first time I've seen CPU was penalized with a card for that
Playing on WC. Now seeing fouls and cards. Seems that the timing window/fidelity is increased now in and around cpu defenders. You have more time and space and can get closer in on them before they'll go after you and have a chance at committing a foul.

# 7 SpHSpH @ 12/15/15 12:13 PM
C'mon for XBox!

I thought this was going to be a Tuesday event for sure.

What's going on here?!?

# 8 Cuban_Linx @ 12/15/15 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
This sounds good, thanks for posting your impressions. I'm stuck at work, dying to play FIFA.

What level are you playing on? I'd agree that the passing %s are too high (both user and CPU), but I rarely see them over 90% and never as high as 96%. Usually I'm around 82-83% and they're always a few points better than that, 85-86%.

I've also not really had issues with CPU clearances. If anything they usually just kick it laterally out of bounds instead of trying to play it into my backfield, but I seldom pick their pocket for cheap goals in or around the box.

Really looking forward to trying the patch, thanks again for the info.
It might be a difficulty issue. I play on legendary. From what I experienced pre update the CPU got more risk averse on higher difficulties. I'm used to playing against teams that safely pass it around at 90%. That's why it surprised me to see the CPU take risks at even better accuracy.

This link is the pic of that Burnley game. It's in dutch, pass accuracy is at the bottom.
http://imgur.com/TVTlzI9

For the record: This might've been an outlier, but still the pass accuracy is something that needs to be worked on.

Other things I've noticed are
- teammates put themselves in better positions to get the ball. This made the game a lot smoother for me.
- CPU is less hesitant in their dribbles and that's for the better since it means you can be rewarded for anticipating their movements and timing your tackle. Before the update you often anticipated for nothing because they just dribbled backwards or passed it back the moment they felt you were close to getting the ball.
- Small sample size, but refereeing seems better. Less ticky tacky fouls on the CPU called.

All in all the game just feels better. The game is more up and down resembling real football instead of it feeling like I'm playing a hypercalculating robotic CPU. There's still improvements to be made, but I feel the game got much better.

# 9 LionsFanNJ @ 12/15/15 12:41 PM
i really don't like this patch. the CPU is averaging nearly 70% possession and close to perfect passing percentages. I think its time for me to stop playing FIFA for good.

I may start a new CM just to test, but i doubt i'll see any difference.

To add. the CPU does not get affected stamina wise by high pressing at all. at least in my experience.

# 10 SpHSpH @ 12/15/15 01:40 PM
Still no update for XBox?

Are we thinking that, if it is not available by now, it is not coming today?

I thought Microsoft stuff usually came on Tuesdays.

Am I going to have to wait another week?

Womp womp.

# 11 DBMcGee3 @ 12/15/15 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban_Linx
It might be a difficulty issue. I play on legendary. From what I experienced pre update the CPU got more risk averse on higher difficulties. I'm used to playing against teams that safely pass it around at 90%. That's why it surprised me to see the CPU take risks at even better accuracy.

This link is the pic of that Burnley game. It's in dutch, pass accuracy is at the bottom.
http://imgur.com/TVTlzI9

For the record: This might've been an outlier, but still the pass accuracy is something that needs to be worked on.

Other things I've noticed are
- teammates put themselves in better positions to get the ball. This made the game a lot smoother for me.
- CPU is less hesitant in their dribbles and that's for the better since it means you can be rewarded for anticipating their movements and timing your tackle. Before the update you often anticipated for nothing because they just dribbled backwards or passed it back the moment they felt you were close to getting the ball.
- Small sample size, but refereeing seems better. Less ticky tacky fouls on the CPU called.

All in all the game just feels better. The game is more up and down resembling real football instead of it feeling like I'm playing a hypercalculating robotic CPU. There's still improvements to be made, but I feel the game got much better.
I'm sure the difficulty plays a part, but I totally agree it should be in the 70% range, with 80% being an outstanding performance.

I love to hear that the positioning is so much better. I've always felt like sometimes my teammates are hiding behind defenders, basically refusing to find space to make themselves available for a pass. One of my biggest gripes actually, really stoked if they've improved that aspect of the game.

# 12 nerd_rock @ 12/15/15 04:41 PM
Anybody try the patch with pro clubs yet? I'm stuck at work. From some of the reports I'm afraid that it's going to go back to through balls/lobbed throughs without any build up play, just like fifa15

# 13 Peninc @ 12/15/15 06:59 PM
Build up play has been scaled back considerably. I know people were complaining about the CPU passing the ball around in their own half, but that's real football. Now in this new patch the CPU can slice through your midfield like a hot knife through butter. Occasionally you'll get an interception but I think complaints have made the game less realistic now.

# 14 aparks87 @ 12/15/15 08:33 PM
This game has been ruined. Cpu runs n guns all game while not being affected by stamina. No fouls. ( not called at least) Passes and shots are all rockets. Game speed tuned up considerably. Wtf EA...

# 15 callmetaternuts @ 12/15/15 09:17 PM
I'll ask since I know it will come up.

Does this work with already started Career Modes?

# 16 tjung0831 @ 12/15/15 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peninc
Build up play has been scaled back considerably. I know people were complaining about the CPU passing the ball around in their own half, but that's real football. Now in this new patch the CPU can slice through your midfield like a hot knife through butter. Occasionally you'll get an interception but I think complaints have made the game less realistic now.
Not for me...build up was still there by the cpu but now they actually move the ball forward. Game feels much better to me. I also set everything back to default.

# 17 mariofransson @ 12/16/15 02:31 AM
I don'y like FIFA 16 at all, I think FIFA 16 is more interesting

# 18 kabamaru @ 12/16/15 02:40 AM
I believe the patch was intended to help online gaming experience and it does. 95% percent of opponents would play high pressure and ultra attack for full 90 games without ANY stamina impact. The same guys would just act like dribble pigs inside your box until they crash on any of your defenders who was just standing there and get awarded a penalty. I played division 4 last night and I must say both these issues were perfectly addressed. Especially high pressure abusing was there since last year as well.

Since I don't play cpu since 13 I wouldn't know, but I guess you may tweak the sliders.
I am a fifa player since late 90s so I have seen a lot!

# 19 Peninc @ 12/16/15 02:46 AM
Oh yeah...and prepare to hit the post 50% more than you already used to

# 20 Zac @ 12/16/15 03:07 AM
Where did CPU fouls go? I played 5 games on 1.04 last night, cpu fouled me 4+ times or so per game. Tonight after 1.05 I played 5 games. I was fouled once in all five games. What the hell.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.