Home
News Post

OK, so I'm back after almost a week of nothing but UFC events (UFC 2, TUF Finale, UFC 194). Here are a few quick impressions. Some of them are vague because I cant speak specifically about a few things that haven't been discussed (cant go into great depth about the striking yet):

- Roster: The roster is about final and it's the largest MMA game roster ever. There are some BIG surprises that I cant talk about yet but I think everyone will be excited about them.

- Grappling System - I've played every MMA game ever created (back to the Dreamcast days) and this is the most natural system I've seen. Past systems have always felt turn based. For example, I'm in half guard, I try to move to Side Control but you block it...now its your turn and you try to move me back into full guard.

This system feels like grappling. There are more positions, more sweeps and more escapes. Now before you flip out these moves aren't available to everyone. For example, I primarily used Welterweights when I was playing the game because that division was the only one with some of the AI fully installed and the complete move-sets implemented.

In one of my first fights I used a non- top 10 WW who is primarily a striker vs an unranked WW who is primarily a grappler. In the 2nd and 3rd rounds, the grappler was successful in taking me down by using trips in the clinch. Both times, he proceeded to keep top control for over 2 minutes. I didn't feel cheated at all because my opponent had a much better move-set and ratings on the ground than I did. This sort of thing would've happened in a real fight.

In round 3, I started sick of being held down and managed to get my opponent back into half guard. I started spamming trying to get out from under him and that worked to my detriment. He passed to full mount and submitted me with an arm-bar. That seemed perfect to me. I spammed, it cost me a ton of stamina and my opponent was able to move into a dominant position and finish me.

This never happened in UFC 1.

Bottom line: I love the new system and the devs are still working with the GC's on ways to continue to improve it. There were some small issues that I brought to the Dev's attention (AI fighters were aggressive with position advances on top but not mixing enough strikes; CPU would sometimes randomly stand up from half guard) but even with those issues the system looked great.

AI and Movesets: I have to be a bit vague here because its not fully installed but I like what I see so far. My biggest frustration with UFC 1's striking AI was everyone was a kick-boxer. EVERYONE. Guys who rarely throw kicks would throw kicks constantly.

There were only 10-15 guys who had their full AI and movesets installed but you could see a difference. I played against one boxing HW who rarely throws kicks in real life and in the game...he rarely threw any kicks. Hopefully, Skynet will talk a little about the work he's done on the AI because it deserves some attention and praise.

With that said, I've only seen a small bit of it and I'll really be able to dig into it closer to release. If its stays consistent with what I saw Wednesday, the AI will be in good shape.

Regarding move-sets, the dev team has taken a more intelligent approach. The move-sets for the most part are still works in progress but I was satisfied with the completed ones I saw. There will likely still be discussions about whether fighter X should have a spinning back fist or not. But I don't think there will be any similar to UFC 1 where HWs had Capoeira kicks and Showtime kicks.

I'll answer some of the questions from last week's thread a little later.

Member Comments
# 21 aholbert32 @ 12/16/15 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef328
I know you can't speak about caf, but can you edit fighters gear this yaer? or do fighters have more then one set of gear, like an alternate attire so they don't look the same in every fight?
Reebok is the only uniform in the UFC so you should expect that it will be the only uniform in the game.

# 22 BDKiiing @ 12/16/15 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Reebok is the only uniform in the UFC so you should expect that it will be the only uniform in the game.
But assuming you can select the type of uniform, like shorts, trunks?

# 23 aholbert32 @ 12/16/15 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolski
But assuming you can select the type of uniform, like shorts, trunks?
Yes you can. In every mode including CAF.

# 24 fballturkey @ 12/17/15 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Someone posted in the UFC 194 thread that he was able to wear the green for that one fight because both guys were champions. And it probably won't happen again.
With any luck Reebok will notice the positive reaction to them and start personalizing fighter's gear like they promised.

Wouldn't be in time to get it into the game at launch, but if they start putting out different color combos that might be a thing they could patch in later.

# 25 AydinDubstep @ 12/17/15 05:22 AM
Any chance we'll have more than 10 CAFs?

# 26 aholbert32 @ 12/17/15 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
Any chance we'll have more than 10 CAFs?
Cant answer that yet.

# 27 godylla @ 12/17/15 02:09 PM
Can you talk about the addition of any sliders? Like opponent punch/kick/takedown/clinch/sub frequency? Or any other options that have been added?

# 28 aholbert32 @ 12/17/15 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by godylla
Can you talk about the addition of any sliders? Like opponent punch/kick/takedown/clinch/sub frequency? Or any other options that have been added?
Nope. I can only talk about things that have been announced. Also, the AI is still being worked on and installed so commenting on the frequency would be premature.

# 29 jeremym480 @ 12/17/15 02:20 PM
Quote:
Nope. I can only talk about things that have been announced. Also, the AI is still being worked on and installed so commenting on the frequency would be premature.
Do you guys have any more events or will you get to play the game again before release?

# 30 aholbert32 @ 12/17/15 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Do you guys have any more events or will you get to play the game again before release?
Yep. We have one more scheduled. Probably will be February or March.

# 31 Motown @ 12/17/15 10:26 PM
Can you speak of the damage system, i.e. are there location dynamic cuts/bruises,broken hands,limbs,severed ears, lol etc...thanks in advance.

# 32 ERA @ 12/18/15 02:55 AM
Do leg kicks seem to have a more prominent role in UFC 2?

Did you notice if tall fighters try to keep their distance if you're using a fighter smaller than them?

What are your thoughts on the new KO physics system?

# 33 pdandy @ 12/18/15 03:45 AM
In regards to my previous "easy submssions against AI" comment, I think another big issue is the AI sometimes chooses to play all 4 quadrants when defending instead of focusing on 2 like a human player usually does. If the goal is still to fill up a single quadrant than attempting all 4 is not the best strategy. Does the EA UFC 2 AI still do this?

# 34 Money99 @ 12/18/15 08:35 AM
Quote:
Yep. We have one more scheduled. Probably will be February or March.
aholbert, I hope you can answer this:
What is the single thing you're most excited about?
Maybe split that into two;
Top Gameplay and Mode changes/additions you're geeked about.

Thanks!

# 35 aholbert32 @ 12/18/15 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
Can you speak of the damage system, i.e. are there location dynamic cuts/bruises,broken hands,limbs,severed ears, lol etc...thanks in advance.
Finally some questions I can answer.

Its much improved in UFC 2. More cut placement. More blood. Swelling is significantly better. One issue I had with UFC 1 was that the inbetween round damage recovery was too much. I would have someone cut in Round 1 and in Round 2, he would look like he wasnt damaged at all.

One small thing that I love is in Custom Events, the blood stays on the mat the entire event. So if you have a bloody fight in Fight 1, the blood will remain on the mat in other fights.

# 36 aholbert32 @ 12/18/15 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA
Do leg kicks seem to have a more prominent role in UFC 2?

Did you notice if tall fighters try to keep their distance if you're using a fighter smaller than them?

What are your thoughts on the new KO physics system?
Cant answer the leg kick question for two reasons. One its striking related and two they are still working on some things related to them.

Regarding tall fighters, that is something I have to look into. I used a few tall fighters in the game but didnt go against them. With that said, during the first event one of the GC's went against one of the taller guys in the game and he found it difficult to get inside.

LOVE the new KO system. Absolutely love it. Its makes a big difference and makes the KOs seem more natural. Its a great addition.

# 37 aholbert32 @ 12/18/15 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdandy
In regards to my previous "easy submssions against AI" comment, I think another big issue is the AI sometimes chooses to play all 4 quadrants when defending instead of focusing on 2 like a human player usually does. If the goal is still to fill up a single quadrant than attempting all 4 is not the best strategy. Does the EA UFC 2 AI still do this?
When I've played against other humans, the good ones use all 4 quadrants imo. All of the gamechangers I played (some of the better online players) used all 4 to mix me up. The goal of the game is to stop me from blocking your quadrant. Only using 2, makes it easier for me to block you.

I just dont think subs were easy in UFC 1 on the harder difficulties. In UFC 2, the AI appears to take a similar approach but I could be wrong. I did not attempt a ton of subs against the CPU and when I did the CPU was good at blocking the initial attempt.

# 38 aholbert32 @ 12/18/15 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
aholbert, I hope you can answer this:
What is the single thing you're most excited about?
Maybe split that into two;
Top Gameplay and Mode changes/additions you're geeked about.

Thanks!
Gameplay (Can only talk about the stuff ive seen):

The grappling system is by far my #1. The KO system is #2.

The new AI has the potential to trump all of this stuff but I need to see alot more before I can say that with confidence.

Modes/Additions:

Custom Events is my #1. This may not be popular given this is a sim forum but KO Mode is my #2. I've never been a big Ultimate Team guy (even though the mode looks great) and Career mode has some great additions but KO mode is just fun.

Its the sort of mode that my friends can come over and pick and play easy or I can play with my nephews to help introduce them to the sport.

# 39 fballturkey @ 12/18/15 11:41 AM
This might be too striking related for you to answer but I thought I'd ask anyway; is the games definition of a significant strike better? In 1 a clean head kick (if it didn't require a modifier to throw) would not count as one but a weak leg kick would.

# 40 aholbert32 @ 12/18/15 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
This might be too striking related for you to answer but I thought I'd ask anyway; is the games definition of a significant strike better? In 1 a clean head kick (if it didn't require a modifier to throw) would not count as one but a weak leg kick would.
Cant answer plus its a little too in depth at this point.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.