Home
News Post

OK, so I'm back after almost a week of nothing but UFC events (UFC 2, TUF Finale, UFC 194). Here are a few quick impressions. Some of them are vague because I cant speak specifically about a few things that haven't been discussed (cant go into great depth about the striking yet):

- Roster: The roster is about final and it's the largest MMA game roster ever. There are some BIG surprises that I cant talk about yet but I think everyone will be excited about them.

- Grappling System - I've played every MMA game ever created (back to the Dreamcast days) and this is the most natural system I've seen. Past systems have always felt turn based. For example, I'm in half guard, I try to move to Side Control but you block it...now its your turn and you try to move me back into full guard.

This system feels like grappling. There are more positions, more sweeps and more escapes. Now before you flip out these moves aren't available to everyone. For example, I primarily used Welterweights when I was playing the game because that division was the only one with some of the AI fully installed and the complete move-sets implemented.

In one of my first fights I used a non- top 10 WW who is primarily a striker vs an unranked WW who is primarily a grappler. In the 2nd and 3rd rounds, the grappler was successful in taking me down by using trips in the clinch. Both times, he proceeded to keep top control for over 2 minutes. I didn't feel cheated at all because my opponent had a much better move-set and ratings on the ground than I did. This sort of thing would've happened in a real fight.

In round 3, I started sick of being held down and managed to get my opponent back into half guard. I started spamming trying to get out from under him and that worked to my detriment. He passed to full mount and submitted me with an arm-bar. That seemed perfect to me. I spammed, it cost me a ton of stamina and my opponent was able to move into a dominant position and finish me.

This never happened in UFC 1.

Bottom line: I love the new system and the devs are still working with the GC's on ways to continue to improve it. There were some small issues that I brought to the Dev's attention (AI fighters were aggressive with position advances on top but not mixing enough strikes; CPU would sometimes randomly stand up from half guard) but even with those issues the system looked great.

AI and Movesets: I have to be a bit vague here because its not fully installed but I like what I see so far. My biggest frustration with UFC 1's striking AI was everyone was a kick-boxer. EVERYONE. Guys who rarely throw kicks would throw kicks constantly.

There were only 10-15 guys who had their full AI and movesets installed but you could see a difference. I played against one boxing HW who rarely throws kicks in real life and in the game...he rarely threw any kicks. Hopefully, Skynet will talk a little about the work he's done on the AI because it deserves some attention and praise.

With that said, I've only seen a small bit of it and I'll really be able to dig into it closer to release. If its stays consistent with what I saw Wednesday, the AI will be in good shape.

Regarding move-sets, the dev team has taken a more intelligent approach. The move-sets for the most part are still works in progress but I was satisfied with the completed ones I saw. There will likely still be discussions about whether fighter X should have a spinning back fist or not. But I don't think there will be any similar to UFC 1 where HWs had Capoeira kicks and Showtime kicks.

I'll answer some of the questions from last week's thread a little later.

Member Comments
# 121 pdandy @ 01/07/16 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPowell07
Yes the gruesome leg brake on the checked kick. Like for example, if you check a kick just right and the opponents leg snaps. So basically are the grueling KO's and coincidental ones like that?
I assume you won't see such a thing in the game since this is rated T. I assume the gruesome leg break may be gruesome enough to be classified under "intense violence" which would make the game M rated.

# 122 aholbert32 @ 01/07/16 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPowell07
Yes the gruesome leg brake on the checked kick. Like for example, if you check a kick just right and the opponents leg snaps. So basically are the grueling KO's and coincidental ones like that?
No and I dont think that will ever be in a UFC game. It was a freak accident and I dont think the UFC wants to celebrate or highlight injuries like that.

# 123 aholbert32 @ 01/07/16 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateNas151
Can you comment on if Event Mode will have different rule sets? (Pride rules, Kickboxing, etc.) I want to have different organizations for my universe.

Nope. Its a UFC Event Mode so UFC rules only.

# 124 Siorai56 @ 01/07/16 05:07 PM
A couple questions on the roster:

First, do you know how the 250# is divided amongst divisions? Simple math says about somewhere between 20-30 per division but with Lightweights already being confirmed at 41, obviously that probably won't be the case.

Second, can you add any color to fighters being able to move up and down a class? One of my biggest gripes about UFC1 was how static the weight classes were while digesting some pretty big misses on roster inclusion. I understand being able to match Mark Hunt against Mighty Mouse is not conducive to what EA & the UFC wants their product to be but it was frustrating that I was getting some guys in multiple weight classes and others logical and sometimes actual moves up and down were absent. I've got McGregor who has fought at 155 but never for the UFC playable there but Barao who fought for 2 years at 145 and basically kills himself to make 135 now, not playable. Rashad Evans & Shogun have both hinted at moving to 185 but I can't play with them at that weight. Hoping they have made realistic guys that could float between classes a playable possibility rather than an anomaly.

Third, and this may have been confirmed already and I missed it, but is the 250 at release or is that default, plus all currently planned DLC's?

Thanks brotha, great work on this stuff

# 125 aholbert32 @ 01/07/16 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siorai56
A couple questions on the roster:

First, do you know how the 250# is divided amongst divisions? Simple math says about somewhere between 20-30 per division but with Lightweights already being confirmed at 41, obviously that probably won't be the case.

Second, can you add any color to fighters being able to move up and down a class? One of my biggest gripes about UFC1 was how static the weight classes were while digesting some pretty big misses on roster inclusion. I understand being able to match Mark Hunt against Mighty Mouse is not conducive to what EA & the UFC wants their product to be but it was frustrating that I was getting some guys in multiple weight classes and others logical and sometimes actual moves up and down were absent. I've got McGregor who has fought at 155 but never for the UFC playable there but Barao who fought for 2 years at 145 and basically kills himself to make 135 now, not playable. Rashad Evans & Shogun have both hinted at moving to 185 but I can't play with them at that weight. Hoping they have made realistic guys that could float between classes a playable possibility rather than an anomaly.

Third, and this may have been confirmed already and I missed it, but is the 250 at release or is that default, plus all currently planned DLC's?

Thanks brotha, great work on this stuff
Cant get into many specifics but I can say this.

1) The top 15 of each division has already been confirmed. Now I'm looking at the top 15 rankings and I only see a few people missing from the roster and those fighters are somewhat new to the top 15.

So you are guaranteed at least 15 in each division. Now some divisions will have more fighters than others obviously because there are more named fighters at WW or MW than at WSW or FW. With that said, I'm pretty satisfied with the numbers at each division. For example at Flyweight, there are only 4-5 fighters from the roster that arent in the game that I'm considering making CAFs for. And those fighters arent exactly big named or well known fighters.

2) Event mode has combined weight classes. The weight classes are (dont quote me on this):

HW/LHW
LHW/MW
LW/MW
LW/FW (?)
BW/FLW
WSW/WBW

or something close to that.

Like anything this could always change. The only thing I'm sure of is there is no WW/MW because I was looking to have a superfight between a well known WW and a well known MW and I couldnt make that happen.

With that said, there are more fighters that have multiple weight class characters. They werent in the version of the game I played but I have a copy of the final roster and those extra charaters are in there.

I honestly have no idea how EA decides who gets a character or not. There are a few guys who have extra weight class characters who have never officially booked a fight in a higher weight class and some who have who dont have a character.

3) 250+ is at release and that number doesnt include duplicate characters. The DLC will be on top of that.

# 126 Siorai56 @ 01/08/16 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Cant get into many specifics but I can say this.

1) The top 15 of each division has already been confirmed. Now I'm looking at the top 15 rankings and I only see a few people missing from the roster and those fighters are somewhat new to the top 15.

So you are guaranteed at least 15 in each division. Now some divisions will have more fighters than others obviously because there are more named fighters at WW or MW than at WSW or FW. With that said, I'm pretty satisfied with the numbers at each division. For example at Flyweight, there are only 4-5 fighters from the roster that arent in the game that I'm considering making CAFs for. And those fighters arent exactly big named or well known fighters.

2) Event mode has combined weight classes. The weight classes are (dont quote me on this):

HW/LHW
LHW/MW
LW/MW
LW/FW (?)
BW/FLW
WSW/WBW

or something close to that.

Like anything this could always change. The only thing I'm sure of is there is no WW/MW because I was looking to have a superfight between a well known WW and a well known MW and I couldnt make that happen.

With that said, there are more fighters that have multiple weight class characters. They werent in the version of the game I played but I have a copy of the final roster and those extra charaters are in there.

I honestly have no idea how EA decides who gets a character or not. There are a few guys who have extra weight class characters who have never officially booked a fight in a higher weight class and some who have who dont have a character.

3) 250+ is at release and that number doesnt include duplicate characters. The DLC will be on top of that.
I shall quote you on all of this and troll appropriately when I am not satisfied.

Thank you sir

# 127 Money99 @ 01/08/16 11:09 AM
Are there generic fighters included in the Career Modes?

# 128 aholbert32 @ 01/08/16 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Are there generic fighters included in the Career Modes?
Yes. I didnt go through Career Mode during my last visit but one of the other Gcers did and I there were generics through TUF and in the first few fights.

# 129 CPowell007 @ 01/08/16 05:26 PM
I had a couple of questions.

1. Is the career mode as deep as they say it is? I mean of course they will say that it's their game, but from a fan of the game how do you think it is? Do fighters actually have to pull out and does your fighter fill in on short notice for injured fighters?

2. Is the AI the best you have seen in a sports game and or in a UFC game? And a stupid question but are their more licensed referees? And do they actually try to stop the fighter from continuing a beat down?

# 130 aholbert32 @ 01/08/16 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPowell007
I had a couple of questions.

1. Is the career mode as deep as they say it is? I mean of course they will say that it's their game, but from a fan of the game how do you think it is? Do fighters actually have to pull out and does your fighter fill in on short notice for injured fighters?

2. Is the AI the best you have seen in a sports game and or in a UFC game? And a stupid question but are their more licensed referees? And do they actually try to stop the fighter from continuing a beat down?
Cant get into either of those questions yet. Career mode details havent been rolled out and the AI wasnt fully installed on the last version I played.

There are 2 more licensed refs: Herb Dean and Dan Mirglotta.

# 131 CPowell007 @ 01/08/16 05:54 PM
Quote:
Cant get into either of those questions yet. Career mode details havent been rolled out and the AI wasnt fully installed on the last version I played.

There are 2 more licensed refs: Herb Dean and Dan Mirglotta.
From your opinion though, Did the AI seem improved or was it not installed enough to the point your couldn't tell this years game from the 1st one?

# 132 aholbert32 @ 01/08/16 07:03 PM
Quote:
From your opinion though, Did the AI seem improved or was it not installed enough to the point your couldn't tell this years game from the 1st one?
Not enough installed to give you a real opinion.

# 133 davidbix @ 01/08/16 08:02 PM
Quote:
No and I dont think that will ever be in a UFC game. It was a freak accident and I dont think the UFC wants to celebrate or highlight injuries like that.
Broken legs on checked kicks could happen in UFC Undisputed 3, though they were rare and there was no gruesome animation: https://youtu.be/hjcpw0ZKf2s?t=1m58s

# 134 CPowell007 @ 01/08/16 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbix
Broken legs on checked kicks could happen in UFC Undisputed 3, though they were rare and there was no gruesome animation: https://youtu.be/hjcpw0ZKf2s?t=1m58s
Now imagine that on current gen. I'm not say have it be as gruesome but it provides another unexpected KO

# 135 CPowell007 @ 01/08/16 08:08 PM
Quote:
Not enough installed to give you a real opinion.
Will you be able to play the game again before the general public? And if yes will you be able to give more info?

# 136 aholbert32 @ 01/08/16 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbix
Did not know that. Still that was pre Anderson's injury. I cant see the UFC being OK with that in the future.

# 137 aholbert32 @ 01/08/16 08:10 PM
Quote:
Will you be able to play the game again before the general public? And if yes will you be able to give more info?
Yes, we have one more event scheduled for before release. Probably in late February. Also, I'll likely get the game a week or so before release.

# 138 OpenSource @ 01/08/16 09:26 PM
Quote:
I have an issue with you ignoring things that I say because they dont fit your argument. Where did I say that they are ONLY marketing to casual fans?

In fact in one of my responses to you, I said:

That the increased roster is actually a feature for the hardcore since most casual fans dont know who half the roster is.

The addition of Event Mode is a feature solely marketed to hardcore fans.

If you want to make a counter-point, counter something I've actually said.

Your point has been that EA should eliminate focusing on modes for casual fans (like KO mode) and implement something like a interactive Gracie Breakdown. My point is that EA's consumer data shows that most fans (casual and hardcore) dont want to spend more time training.

I'll ask this again (for the third time) since no one here wants to answer it:

WHEN HAS A TRAINING MODE EVER LEAD TO INCREASED SALES IN A SPORTS GAME?

Give me one or two. I havent seen a single game where the addition of a training mode significantly increased sales. Now i'm not saying its a bad idea on its face. I think it would work if implemented within another mode like Career mode.

But is that mode going to be what causes people to buy the game?

Since declining sales are the only reason (while ignoring the real reasons for those sales) you have for your theory.....what happens if UFC 2 sells 400k in the first month? That would be almost double the number UFC1 did.

Given the way the game is shaping up, the good press/reviews that will likely come, the install base is significantly larger and the interest that will come when the mystery fighter is announced...400k isnt unreasonable.

Should EA scrap its approach then? Should they go strictly hardcore even though the sales are growing?
We'll see what happens with sales. You've obviously made up your mind with you're going to be on board with whatever EA says. If EA came out with the exact types of things I said, you would be praising them, but since they didn't, they're not good ideas.

My entire idea revolves around making this more of a true experience of the sport and learn how the way it works, with less focus on short term shallow things that don't have any true deep payoff. Intros are seen once or twice, then skipped. Motion capturing has been glitch prone for years. There's a lot of things focused on in teasers and trailers that don't really mean anything once you get a hold of the game and play for more than two hours. That's my entire point.

I get the point, this is a sports only forum for sports fans, so there's obviously going to be bias to whatever the developers make, people here will eat up. Double especially when you encounter someone who's play tested the game themselves or has preview access, etc. The also same happens at Nintendo fan forums, Valve fan forums, etc. Anything not liked by the golden goose is frowned upon, and any kind of criticism is a dumb idea, just because the developers didn't implement it. Then if they do, it was a great idea the whole time.

Also, lets not forget EA's original great idea: they passed on UFC license at first and thought it was a dumb idea to even have the franchise, as Dana White has pointed out in the past. Remember, this is the same company that's won 'Worst Company in the World' two or three times running. There's a lot of people that think the same way as I do with the philosophy that occurs a lot with EA games. I think the developers themselves are sincerely trying to do a good job, but probably are boxed in by what EA wants as priorities using their motion capture tech and face scan gimmicks and putting people in body suits rather than nuts and bolts gameplay.

I really don't have much else to say, I hope UFC can find a home with a different philosophy in the future. Be it with EA or another company. I'm not the typical dudebro UFC fan that started watching because Chuck Liddell KO'ed guys or to see if Brock Lesnar could fight in a real fight, I watched back before Zuffa even was involved and the Gracies used it to showcase BJJ and want to see the sport be represented in a solid way and open doors for new fans to actually learn it, or existing fans to learn something.

I've said my peace, I don't want to end up like the last guy who disagreed with you. Good luck in the future.

# 139 aholbert32 @ 01/08/16 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSource
We'll see what happens with sales. You've obviously made up your mind with you're going to be on board with whatever EA says. If EA came out with the exact types of things I said, you would be praising them, but since they didn't, they're not good ideas.

My entire idea revolves around making this more of a true experience of the sport and learn how the way it works, with less focus on short term shallow things that don't have any true deep payoff. Intros are seen once or twice, then skipped. Motion capturing has been glitch prone for years. There's a lot of things focused on in teasers and trailers that don't really mean anything once you get a hold of the game and play for more than two hours. That's my entire point.

I get the point, this is a sports only forum for sports fans, so there's obviously going to be bias to whatever the developers make, people here will eat up. Double especially when you encounter someone who's play tested the game themselves or has preview access, etc. The also same happens at Nintendo fan forums, Valve fan forums, etc. Anything not liked by the golden goose is frowned upon, and any kind of criticism is a dumb idea, just because the developers didn't implement it. Then if they do, it was a great idea the whole time.

Also, lets not forget EA's original great idea: they passed on UFC license at first and thought it was a dumb idea to even have the franchise, as Dana White has pointed out in the past. Remember, this is the same company that's won 'Worst Company in the World' two or three times running. There's a lot of people that think the same way as I do with the philosophy that occurs a lot with EA games. I think the developers themselves are sincerely trying to do a good job, but probably are boxed in by what EA wants as priorities using their motion capture tech and face scan gimmicks and putting people in body suits rather than nuts and bolts gameplay.

I really don't have much else to say, I hope UFC can find a home with a different philosophy in the future. Be it with EA or another company. I'm not the typical dudebro UFC fan that started watching because Chuck Liddell KO'ed guys or to see if Brock Lesnar could fight in a real fight, I watched back before Zuffa even was involved and the Gracies used it to showcase BJJ and want to see the sport be represented in a solid way and open doors for new fans to actually learn it, or existing fans to learn something.

I've said my peace, I don't want to end up like the last guy who disagreed with you. Good luck in the future.
A couple of things before you go:

MaddogUFC didnt get banned because he disagreed with me. He got banned because he was a previously banned member.

You've been a member here for 2 months so you have no idea about how I feel about EA or my relationship with EA other than you know I'm a Gamechanger. There are a few decisions that EA made related to UFC2 that I completely disagree with and I will be open and honest about that when Im no longer NDA.

If you were a member for longer than 2 months, you would know that I've had relationships with other games and game companies including MS and 2k. Ive been more than honest and critical about their games and what they've shown me in the past. Showing me a game early isnt going to make me love everything they do.

It sucks when someone doesnt like your idea. I get it. It has nothing to do with where it came from. I dont know or care enough to hate your idea just because it comes from you. ****, EA didnt implement Universe mode and I think thats a great idea. I just think thats your idea wont accomplish what you say it will....increase sales.

# 140 CPowell007 @ 01/08/16 11:58 PM
First off aholbert32, I wanted to say that people are being a******s when you are not even required to answer these questions. I for one want to thank you for providing us as much detail as you can and get us amped up for the second installment of Current gen UFC because we only get one every other year so it's awesome when the time comes around. But thanks again aholbert32 and truly your answers are getting me psyched for the game.

Now here's my question. What would you rate the authenticity of the game compared to real world MMA, based on what you have heard and played? I know Mixed Martial Arts might never be perfected in video game form, but what do you think of it so far?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.