Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

IGN has posted a new MLB The Show 16 video, featuring Sony San Diego's Ramone Russell walking through the recently released trailer and going over many more details about the game.

Below are some of the details, but watch the entire video here.

All appropriate stadiums will have open and closed roof options (option for open or closed in Exhibition/Online games, for RTTS and Franchise, it will depend on the weather for that day)

Physically Based Rendering - Makes wood look like wood, glass look like glass, concrete look like concrete, etc...

Showtime - Slows down critical moments (dive plays, hot corner reactions, steal attempts, pressure batting moments) to give the user more precise control. Showtime is only seen in RTTS in Player Lock and it will be an optional feature you can turn on/off.

Added over 100 signature home run swings, tons of new pitcher reaction animations, so they get out of the way of the ball and not get hit as much.

Briefly went over HumanIK, which fixes transitional animations from years past, but more will be revealed in the future.

Added over 50 new double play animations, over 100 dive/throw animations, 3 brand new running styles (small, athletic, lumbering)

Conquest mode - More to be revealed later, as it is too big to cover in this particular video

Another mode that wasn't shown in the trailer, will be revealed at a later date.

Return of classic stadiums - Forbes Field, Shibe Park, Sportsman Park, Polo Grounds, Crosley Field, Griffith Park

6 new legends revealed, but more to come. All legends from last year will return.

2 new Diamond Dynasty card types - Rookie and Prime

Credit to ryanmc564 for finding this!

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Spokker @ 12/16/15 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I'm curious about this.

Ramone said it was ONLY turned on for the home dugout but nothing else. I wonder what the field looks like and whether it will be more crisp? What about the stands and even outfield walls?

Physically based rendering involves the way light bounces, reflects or otherwise interacts with objects in the game world. Each object is given different characteristics such as reflectivity, opacity, absorption, diffusion and refractivity. This is part of the reason why next-gen games like Star Wars Battlefront look so good. It's one of the key differences between last-gen and this gen, and its absence in MLB The Show is why some people think it looks last-gen still, in my opinion.

Where I think it would really shine is in tandem with the time of day settings. As the sun moves through the sky and sets, objects will look more realistic under the different lighting conditions.

I don't know how far they are going to take it, but in theory it means that the outfield walls would look more like the material they are made out of, and light will interact with them more realistically.

So it really depends on how far they push it. All Ramone said is that it wasn't turned on throughout the entire trailer.

# 62 tnixen @ 12/16/15 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker
Physically based rendering involves the way light bounces, reflects or otherwise interacts with objects in the game world. Each object is given different characteristics such as reflectivity, opacity, absorption, diffusion and refractivity. This is part of the reason why games like Star Wars Battlefront look so good.

Where I think it would really shine is in tandem with the time of day settings. As the sun moves through the sky and sets, objective will look more realistic under the different lighting conditions.

I don't know how far they are going to take it, but in theory it means that the outfield walls would look more like the material they are made out of, and light will interact with them more realistically.

So it really depends on how far they push it. All Ramone said is that it wasn't turned on throughout the entire trailer.
This new technology should make the Green Monster at Fenway Park look much better for example

# 63 Stolm @ 12/16/15 10:18 PM
Quote:
Physically based rendering involves the way light bounces, reflects or otherwise interacts with objects in the game world. Each object is given different characteristics such as reflectivity, opacity, absorption, diffusion and refractivity. This is part of the reason why next-gen games like Star Wars Battlefront look so good. It's one of the key differences between last-gen and this gen, and its absence in MLB The Show is why some people think it looks last-gen still, in my opinion.

Where I think it would really shine is in tandem with the time of day settings. As the sun moves through the sky and sets, objective will look more realistic under the different lighting conditions.

I wonder if you will only notice these details if you are very close or zooming in with the free roam camera. I notice lots of details fade out (especially the grass on the field).

Seems to be from lack of Anisotropic Filtering. I notice it a ton when fielding in RTTS. When looking around a certain distance from your player, the field becomes very muddy looking.

# 64 wilb626 @ 12/16/15 10:22 PM
Crossing my fingers that they announce the comeback of Sounds of The Show. Here's to hoping they found a way with the PS4 USB media player!!!

# 65 Speedy @ 12/16/15 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolm
I wonder if you will only notice these details if you are very close or zooming in with the free roam camera. I notice lots of details fade out (especially the grass on the field).

Seems to be from lack of Anisotropic Filtering. I notice it a ton when fielding in RTTS. When looking around a certain distance from your player, the field becomes very muddy looking.
Good thing I have Google...

So is the feature just for lighting purposes and textures? I was kindly hoping for a brighter shade of grass so the field doesn't look, as the above poster said, muddy.

# 66 MauerMorneau09 @ 12/16/15 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I LOVE that classic stadiums have returned!
I hope they add on to them each year.
Thank you!!!

I'm also very happy to see that closed roofs have made it in for those that have been asking for this.

Lastly.....I'm dying to know what that other new mode is.
Hoping that dev blog is soon!

Looking great.

M.K.
Knight165
Was hoping to see the Dome, among others, but it's a step in the right direction anyways. Excited for March regardless!

# 67 Spokker @ 12/16/15 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolm
The grass is a given. I think they do a good job of blending the detailed grass with the flat grass.

The LOD settings in the Show don't seem that aggressive. I usually see one change in shadows and crowd detail during home run replays. I've seen worse in games.

Quote:
This seems to be a common problem on consoles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ing-on-console

# 68 Cowboy008 @ 12/16/15 10:44 PM
The Physically Based Rendering looked real good in the Blue Jays dugout. Can't wait to see how everything looks when it's turned on the entire time.

DD cards are not my thing but I did like collecting the cards.

I'm glad that "show time" feature is just for RTTS and player lock.

Really interested in hearing more about the HumanIK.

Will use the classic stadiums for Spring Training Games.

# 69 Russell_SCEA @ 12/16/15 10:45 PM
Quote:

Where I think it would really shine is in tandem with the time of day settings. As the sun moves through the sky and sets, objects will look more realistic under the different lighting conditions.

Exactly we will go much deeper into PBR later in the cycle can't really do a deep dive in an 6 minute video. But it was only turned on in the dugout because "game development" and that trailer had to be finished a week before PSX. As I've said in the past our game visually will move along the same path as PS3 did where it took us about 4 years to reach visually maturity. I'm not saying it will be in year 4 where on PS4, nor am I saying it will happen in year 3 either. We simply don't have the time and resources to do everything in year 1 or year 2 for that matter. Every year is a new layer and this year it's PBR last year was Seasonal Sun/Shadows. Etc..... Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is The Show.

# 70 Stolm @ 12/16/15 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Exactly we will go much deeper into PBR later in the cycle can't really do a deep dive in an 6 minute video. But it was only turned on in the dugout because "game development" and that trailer had to be finished a week before PSX. As I've said in the past our game visually will move along the same path as PS3 did where it took us about 4 years to reach visually maturity. We simply don't have the time and resources to do everything in year 1 or year 2 for that matter. Every year is a new layer and this year it's PBR last year was Seasonal Sun/Shadows. Etc.....
So........New Models YEAR 4 CONFIRMED!!!!!!?

Thanks Ramone!

# 71 jmaj315 @ 12/17/15 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Pitchers getting hit by balls less frequently is a welcome addition.
this!

But will they still snatch every other screaming grounder that comes their way? (have yet to watch video) lol

# 72 ShaiLeGran @ 12/17/15 05:59 AM
As mentioned before, lets hope for 60fps in all cut-scenes as well. It is the same for NBA2K16 and FIFA 16. I really wish the developers could make it 60fps for everything.

Still gotta compliment Ramone and SSD for doing such good things explaining trailers, being honest. Can't wait till the Twitch streams will come alive.

And Ramone: nice new looking The Show font on the cover of the box

# 73 Bobhead @ 12/17/15 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Anyone kind enough to summarize? Work computer has no sound
Here's your summary:

Quote:
Buy the game

# 74 Bobhead @ 12/17/15 08:07 AM
Quote:
Exactly we will go much deeper into PBR later in the cycle can't really do a deep dive in an 6 minute video. But it was only turned on in the dugout because "game development" and that trailer had to be finished a week before PSX. As I've said in the past our game visually will move along the same path as PS3 did where it took us about 4 years to reach visually maturity. I'm not saying it will be in year 4 where on PS4, nor am I saying it will happen in year 3 either. We simply don't have the time and resources to do everything in year 1 or year 2 for that matter. Every year is a new layer and this year it's PBR last year was Seasonal Sun/Shadows. Etc..... Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is The Show.
But you've had more than a day... it's been a year bro. Where's Rome at?

# 75 dalger21 @ 12/17/15 08:12 AM
Quote:
Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is The Show.
Some people here seem to not realize that and want it all now...indicative of this generation.

# 76 ryanmc564 @ 12/17/15 09:09 AM
Quote:
I think this is what most wanted or needed to hear. Thank you Ramone,

# 77 armymule @ 12/17/15 10:06 AM
I hope they have improved Forbes Field and Shibe Park. Sony's version of Forbes didn't have Greenberg Garden in left field and Shibe lacked the posts in the left field bleachers. The game also used to have Yankee Stadium II, Busch Stadium II, and Shea Stadium. It sure would be nice if we could play in those again.

# 78 manny7788 @ 12/17/15 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armymule
I hope they have improved Forbes Field and Shibe Park. Sony's version of Forbes didn't have Greenberg Garden in left field and Shibe lacked the posts in the left field bleachers. The game also used to have Yankee Stadium II, Busch Stadium II, and Shea Stadium. It sure would be nice if we could play in those again.
Well they did say that the stadiums shipping with the game are "free". Which kinda lead that there will be pay to play stadiums

# 79 MatrixTN @ 12/17/15 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armymule
The game also used to have Yankee Stadium II, Busch Stadium II, and Shea Stadium. It sure would be nice if we could play in those again.
I second the recently retired stadiums, will those be back? Don't recall Busch II (unless it was in prior to '08) but the other two were HHH Metrodome (Twins) & Sun Life Stadium (NFL Dolphins/Florida Marlins). And with this next season being the Braves last in Turner Field, will it be a classic in '17?

# 80 TheWarmWind @ 12/17/15 10:46 AM
Quote:
If the $40 price point is any indication, they are going to start weaning The Show off of the PS3.
It was just announced that over 2 years, the PlayStation 4 has outpaced the PlayStation 2 in sales. PlayStation 2 had one of the highest install bases in history, and that was partially based on the fact that it was a really cheap DVD player (in fact, it made no sense to buy a DVD player back then because you could buy a PS2).

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that PS3 is going to be ushered off ASAP. Plenty of players on the PS4 and I think after the tremendous and obviously extreme amount of work they've put into 16 I think the Devs could use a break from having to push out a PS3 version as well.

Seriously though, closed roof stadiums, hundreds of new animations, humanik, player tandem animations, two new modes, and so much focus on the Jays (at least for the trailer). Those facts alone are enough to make me pleased as punch.

But there is MORE coming?

Well done devs, well done. I've started a policy, trying to limit my pre-orders after getting burned in the past. I pre-ordered MLB 16 the Show. I'm pretty OK with that decision. Gonna be great.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.