Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

Sony San Diego is Twitch streaming MLB The Show 16 right now, as the team goes over the Showtime and Road to the Show modes.

Watch the stream here. For those of you that miss it, we will update this post with the archive.

UPDATE: The stream has completed, watch the archive here (it starts at roughly the 16:35 mark).

Some notes:
  • 20-80 scale confirmed in Franchise mode
  • You CAN turn the Showtime feature on/off
  • New running styles are normal, lumbering, speedster and athletic
  • Over 600 new animations added, 100's more a dive specific
  • While running bases, hold L1 for a zoomed in view, L2 for a medium view
  • Oakley, EvoShield, and All Star are the new equipment brands
  • New Balance not in this year, maybe next year
  • No tattoos or face scanning in RTTS
  • You can view team uniforms in player editor

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Speedy @ 02/05/16 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you are NOT a software developer, are you?

I'm a developer, not in the game industry but in financial/banking. I have to say I do some of my best work the week before a deadline. The most time consuming part about a development cycle, at least in my experience, is the prep work: defining scope and deliverables, design work (both functional and technical), etc. The coding itself, sure it can be time consuming, but getting all the base code done is the hardest part. Going back and tweaking, fixing bugs, optimizing, and re-testing can happen very quickly sometimes. You can spend X number of weeks just putting in the framework to match the design, and in those final weeks, all of the pieces can be fit together nicely.

Don't worry about the state of the game right now. 6 weeks in a dev cycle is still a lot of time.
Great synopsis, Hypo...I'm the same way when I'm coding things.

The hard part is programming, designing and making it work so they're spending as much time as possible getting as much as they can in. Fixing bugs/issue is usually the easiest of things.

# 142 kaptainkarl76 @ 02/05/16 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
This isn't the final version. They haven't shown us the pbr yet. There is a good chance the graphics will look much much better. Not that the graphics here look like anything less than a PS4 game anyway.
Excuse of the video game century..."This isn't the final version"...if history has taught you anything..this usually is the final version to some degree..there aren't going to be major overhauls..I've been playing the show since the show was the show and while I love the game..there is always room for improvement...I noticed in the stream that the ump STILL adjusts his damn mask way too much..I noticed the same clipping (High fives looking like ghost fives..a hand that goes to adjust a helmet and magically the hand goes inside his head)

I'm not ranting and I'll still get the game as it is the only option, but maybe there will be a day when I will believe the "This isn't the final version" line..I just know that I have heard the line every year and come to find it is just polished version, with some added features from last years edition.

# 143 MauerMorneau09 @ 02/05/16 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
I like the new equipment brand additions.

However I'm really hoping they expanded on the brands already in the game... Specifically Marucci and Mizuno, meaning they added Marucci batting gloves and Mizuno batting & fielding gloves.

Also... Really hoping we're able to notice the different between fielding glove sizes, the OF gloves should be bigger... In 15 all the gloves are the same size.
One thing I noticed with the outfielder's gloves is that they had the open back like infielder's gloves. Ik some outfielders use the open back, but I remember many using the fastback. The pics do a better job explaining, would like it if we could just choose what type of back of the glove the player uses.

# 144 Qb @ 02/05/16 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

As with the announcing, I think I'm too used to their font now too lol.
I'm with you. It seems kind of silly to talk about, but I think a new slicker font would be a positive change.

# 145 The Kid 24 @ 02/05/16 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauerMorneau09
One thing I noticed with the outfielder's gloves is that they had the open back like infielder's gloves. Ik some outfielders use the open back, but I remember many using the fastback. The pics do a better job explaining, would like it if we could just choose what type of back of the glove the player uses.
Ah yes you're right, forgot about that.

# 146 andrewochs615 @ 02/05/16 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
interesting in player editor what was personality ?? is that new?? I think it is!

I have never seen the Personality Tab before in edit player can't beleive no one else has picked up on this.

I am going to take a stab here and say the franchise feature that they didn't wanna talk about was maybe import players into franchise, seeing as they were in edit player. just a guess and a wishful thing !

They weren't in edit player they were in the roster screen and brought up a player card to show attributes. If they would of pressed R1 or L1 to change the page of the player card if would of should different screens. That is normally how you see a players stats. So hopefully it had something to do with stats.

# 147 HustlinOwl @ 02/05/16 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
um no offense to the great team in SD, but with two months left this should be polish time shouldn't it? I mean we can all expect this game as with fifteen to me multiple patched once put out on March 29th.

when they mentioned that this was an extremely buggy build with two months to go i shook me head.. i was like really guys... come on.... Night games not even ready to be shown right now... wow... this worries me... how many patches will this game need once released to fix all the issues that will come with it...

hopefully by the time we get to the franchise news feeds most of the issues will be fixed and ready to go
Ummm highly likely this was from an earlier build and not the two month build, relax

# 148 Russell_SCEA @ 02/05/16 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
um no offense to the great team in SD, but with two months left this should be polish time shouldn't it? I mean we can all expect this game as with fifteen to me multiple patched once put out on March 29th.

when they mentioned that this was an extremely buggy build with two months to go i shook me head.. i was like really guys... come on.... Night games not even ready to be shown right now... wow... this worries me... how many patches will this game need once released to fix all the issues that will come with it...

hopefully by the time we get to the franchise news feeds most of the issues will be fixed and ready to go

Here's a little nugget of knowledge the builds are always in a state like this less than two months to ship. The public just has no idea it is because we haven't been streaming pre-release code for the last 10 year's.

Your getting a behind scenes look at how crazy things are in development at crunch time. It's always been that way you just never knew about it. Because all game development studios are very selective in the assets that get released. Hence why the PSX teaser had no Royals in it even though they won the world series. It's no accident.

# 149 eric7064 @ 02/05/16 12:41 PM
As long as there's no franchise breaking bug that requires a restart like last year I'm all good.

# 150 Belkbuzze @ 02/05/16 12:41 PM
Well it might be just me, but the way I see it is that if the game looks like this 6 weeks from D day, it means they did heavy work on those aspects and we are gonna see improvements from last year. Otherwise, we would see something more polished but also not different from last year..

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

# 151 tnixen @ 02/05/16 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Here's a little nugget of knowledge the builds are always in a state like this less than two months to ship. The public just has no idea it is because we haven't been streaming pre-release code for the last 10 year's.

Your getting a behind scenes look at how crazy things are in development at crunch time. It's always been that way you just never knew about it. Because all game development studios are very selective in the assets that get released. Hence why the PSX teaser had no Royals in it even though they won the world series. It's no accident.
Russell was the in game stat overlay presentations greatly improved?

I really was hoping for a new Home Run stat overlay popup. More like what you see on a real baseball broadcast. And also can you please add to or replace the AVG on the in between inning batter due up overlays with 2 for 4 type stat under each of the 3 batters? Been asking for this for years and it was actually in MLB 09 The Show I think.I always wondered why it was replaced with AVG instead.

Am I just wasting my time hoping for these small improvements to the stat overlay presentations?

# 152 NDAlum @ 02/05/16 12:48 PM
Some notes:
20-80 scale confirmed in Franchise mode | YES!!! Can't way to see this implemented
You CAN turn the Showtime feature on/off | Cool.
New running styles are normal, lumbering, speedster and athletic | I think this addition will be underrated
Over 600 new animations added, 100's more a dive specific | Always good
While running bases, hold L1 for a zoomed in view, L2 for a medium view | Don't care
Oakley, EvoShield, and All Star are the new equipment brands | More depth the merrier
New Balance not in this year, maybe next year | Not breaking my heart
No tattoos or face scanning in RTTS | Won't touch RTTS, no care
You can view team uniforms in player editor | Much needed change

Reactions above

# 153 NDAlum @ 02/05/16 12:50 PM
One question if it can be answered:

Are running styles tied into ratings or just a preset for each player? (Are they dynamic?)

For example if I draft a guy who is 6-3 220 and has average speed and starts out as average but then he progresses into a base stealing threat: will he go from average animation to athletic?

# 154 agentlaw13 @ 02/05/16 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkarl76
Excuse of the video game century..."This isn't the final version"...if history has taught you anything..this usually is the final version to some degree..there aren't going to be major overhauls..I've been playing the show since the show was the show and while I love the game..there is always room for improvement...I noticed in the stream that the ump STILL adjusts his damn mask way too much..I noticed the same clipping (High fives looking like ghost fives..a hand that goes to adjust a helmet and magically the hand goes inside his head)

I'm not ranting and I'll still get the game as it is the only option, but maybe there will be a day when I will believe the "This isn't the final version" line..I just know that I have heard the line every year and come to find it is just polished version, with some added features from last years edition.

Cmon now...I'm sure if you were playing the build they showed yesterday as "the final version", you would be pissed. It's obvious they have a lot of fine tuning to do and even Ramone stated they have never really shown these builds to the public at these stages in the past. I mean, the players portraits in game looked like red demons lol! You know they are gonna fix that and a lot of things before this is released. We are fortunate they allow us access to these streams like this year and last year. I think it's really cool.

But after getting on here and seeing every little thing that is nitpicked (2 months out, mind you), while ignoring the things that were added and improved, we are lucky they continue to put up with us and allow us to get these special sneak peeks.

Like I mentioned in my previous post from last night, if you can't look at all the improvements to just the RTTS mode from this first stream and not be pumped, this game just might not be for you.

# 155 tessl @ 02/05/16 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
interesting in player editor what was personality ?? is that new?? I think it is!

I have never seen the Personality Tab before in edit player can't beleive no one else has picked up on this.

I am going to take a stab here and say the franchise feature that they didn't wanna talk about was maybe import players into franchise, seeing as they were in edit player. just a guess and a wishful thing !
Good catch. At the end of the stream Russell asked the franchise developer -sorry I don't know his name - if he wanted to reveal the new franchise feature while they were on the player card.

I was running through a list of things it could be from negotiating contracts during the season to hot/cold to training points to player personality but you solved the mystery. Player personality is now in franchise mode. The question then becomes what are the personalities? Wants to play for a winner? Wants to be an everyday player? Wants to be in the majors by a certain age? There are lots of possibilities.

Joe Adcock said trying to sneak a fastball past Hank Aaron was like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster.

Trying to sneak a new feature past the OS crowd is just as hard.

# 156 vidgames @ 02/05/16 01:24 PM
In rewatching the stream...again. I am seeing somethings that are getting me a little excited. I don't play RTTS but there are some tweaks that intrigue me.

# 157 Russell_SCEA @ 02/05/16 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum

Are running styles tied into ratings or just a preset for each player? (Are they dynamic?)

For example if I draft a guy who is 6-3 220 and has average speed and starts out as average but then he progresses into a base stealing threat: will he go from average animation to athletic?
Running styles are purely cosmetic

# 158 Russell_SCEA @ 02/05/16 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
Russell was the in game stat overlay presentations greatly improved?

I really was hoping for a new Home Run stat overlay popup. More like what you see on a real baseball broadcast. And also can you please add to or replace the AVG on the in between inning batter due up overlays with 2 for 4 type stat under each of the 3 batters? Been asking for this for years and it was actually in MLB 09 The Show I think.I always wondered why it was replaced with AVG instead.

Am I just wasting my time hoping for these small improvements to the stat overlay presentations?

Presentation stream is on the 25 and yes it's way to late for feature requests.

# 159 Sip_16 @ 02/05/16 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum

I am no way 100% sure but I think how they said Ortiz runs like a bigger guy even tho some of the bigger guys can get moving decently once they get going. So i think you can choose which running style you want for the player (RTTS) and its not tied to ratings. MLB players styles probably can't be changed but any CAP im sure can.

EDIT : Ramone already answered

# 160 The Kid 24 @ 02/05/16 01:33 PM
Russell... Could you answer these questions?

Have the brands already in the game been added to?... Specifically Marucci and Mizuno, meaning Marucci batting gloves and Mizuno batting & fielding gloves.

Also... Really hoping we're able to notice the different between fielding glove sizes, the OF gloves should be bigger... In 15 all the gloves are the same size.

And can we edit cap brims this year?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.