Home
NHL 16 News Post

NHL 16 patch title update #5 is available now for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One users. Full details can be seen in the image above.

The patch notes mention new jerseys are available, but nobody can see them yet, for some reason. We will update this post when we hear anything. Otherwise, let us know what you are seeing.

UPDATE: Download the latest roster update to see the new jerseys. Here are some more details on the patch.

Gameplay
  • Increased attribute effect range to create more player separation.
  • Increased range of attribute effects for goalies so that the weaker goalies are further separated from the best ones.
  • Increased goalies ability to save slower low shots and passes towards the net.
  • Increased referee strictness when teams were already shorthanded so that penalties no longer go uncalled.
  • Increased pokecheck success when in proper positions.
  • Increased penalties from stick lift at wrong angles.
  • Removed the effect protecting the puck has in resistance to being hit (either with protect puck or holding the puck out away from your opponent). Note: Being in a controlled glide with full balance and/or limiting the relative speed of the hit will still be advantageous over skating, performing an action or higher relative speed hits when trying to stay in control.
  • Addressed issue where players would occasionally stay in the penalty box for the rest of the game after the end of their penalty.
  • Addressed issue where players would not line up correctly when using the aggressive faceoff style during an offensive zone faceoff.
Presentation
  • Added the 2015-16 Boston Bruins Winter Classic jersey
  • Added the 2015-16 Montreal Canadian’s Winter Classic jersey
  • Added the 2015-16 Chicago Blackhawks Stadium Series jersey
  • Added the 2015-16 Minnesota Wild Stadium Series jersey
  • Added the 2015-16 Colorado Avalanche Stadium Series jersey
  • Added the 2015-16 Detroit Red Wings Stadium Series jersey
  • Added the San Antonio Rampage 3rd jersey
  • Added the Charlottetown Islanders 3rd jersey
  • Added the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies 3rd jersey
  • Added the Hamilton Bulldogs 3rd jersey
  • Made network performance improvements in EA SPORTS Hockey League and Online Team Play.
  • Added "Dangler" player class in EASHL.

NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jake19ny @ 02/12/16 12:43 PM
Was fearful of downloading anything but I downloaded patch and new tuner. I think there is something wrong with me, I might be a masochist...lol. My games were great but they are even better now. I am noticing a little player seperation and the stars make some sweet plays. I also feel the CPU neutral zone play is better as I find I need to dump and chase more. The CPU killed penalties a little smarter too. Instead of chasing my man all the way behind my net after they clear the puck, the CPU peeled back and awaited my break out. Puck physics seem better. More loose pucks and I'm seeing pucks bounce and roll on end.

I had restarted my season a little while back because of a botched tuner and I'm only 18 games in but now I'm glad that happened because I'm looking forward to playing it out even more now. I do wish they added the new Bauer pads and corrected the season stat thing but overall excellent job EA

# 22 MizzouRah @ 02/12/16 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I just got the game and was on tuner 1.04 and already I saw more player separation than I have in a long time.
Several crap players bobbling passes, firing wide, or having passes picked off.
Hearing that there's even more separation is music to my ears.

The penalties were pretty good before, but I had to laugh at some of the tripping penalties.
In one, my dman went to pinch to keep a loose puck in the zone. During the race for the puck, I cut off an oncoming forward. He kind of stumbled over my shin guard as I beat him to the puck. He didn't even go down, but I still got a tripping penalty, haha.
It was ridiculous, but I couldn't even be that mad as I found it kind of humorous.

I'll be dl'ing this patch tonight and looking forward to it.
I still need to pick a team, but I'm leaning towards the Canadiens.
One question (it's been a while since I've played GM mode in this series), but can I start a season at the 2016 draft and then edit the selections?
I'm basically asking if I can pick a team and force Auston Matthews on my club?
I'm not sure off hand if you can do that or not, I don't think so.. but I do remember at one time, maybe old gen.. you could start pre-draft (unless that was Madden).

# 23 Bushido @ 02/12/16 03:37 PM
Quote:
I just got the game and was on tuner 1.04 and already I saw more player separation than I have in a long time.
Several crap players bobbling passes, firing wide, or having passes picked off.
Hearing that there's even more separation is music to my ears.

The penalties were pretty good before, but I had to laugh at some of the tripping penalties.
In one, my dman went to pinch to keep a loose puck in the zone. During the race for the puck, I cut off an oncoming forward. He kind of stumbled over my shin guard as I beat him to the puck. He didn't even go down, but I still got a tripping penalty, haha.
It was ridiculous, but I couldn't even be that mad as I found it kind of humorous.

I'll be dl'ing this patch tonight and looking forward to it.
I still need to pick a team, but I'm leaning towards the Canadiens.
One question (it's been a while since I've played GM mode in this series), but can I start a season at the 2016 draft and then edit the selections?
I'm basically asking if I can pick a team and force Auston Matthews on my club?
No.

And if you're going to use the Canadians, you're going to have to rip off a team with a Top 5 pick to even have a shot at Auston. Even though I've seen him slip all the way to No.11 once, even after the fact that I re-rated him to an 82 and gave him a Franchise ceiling.

# 24 Tonic @ 02/12/16 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Was fearful of downloading anything but I downloaded patch and new tuner. I think there is something wrong with me, I might be a masochist...lol. My games were great but they are even better now. I am noticing a little player seperation and the stars make some sweet plays. I also feel the CPU neutral zone play is better as I find I need to dump and chase more. The CPU killed penalties a little smarter too. Instead of chasing my man all the way behind my net after they clear the puck, the CPU peeled back and awaited my break out. Puck physics seem better. More loose pucks and I'm seeing pucks bounce and roll on end.

I had restarted my season a little while back because of a botched tuner and I'm only 18 games in but now I'm glad that happened because I'm looking forward to playing it out even more now. I do wish they added the new Bauer pads and corrected the season stat thing but overall excellent job EA
Glad to hear it's playing pretty well. Might have to get a few games in this weekend!

However, I think the bigger takeaway from the added player separation is that EA listened to our feedback, realizes that it is (hopefully was) a problem, and implemented a fix. Hopefully this bodes well for future titles too, but I'm not going to get my hopes up yet based on past experience with this series.

# 25 camo @ 02/13/16 04:49 PM
I like the tuner so far but am going to have to reset all sliders and start again. Have played 5 games since and haven't gotten one goal off of a snipe. A few rebound goals but haven't beaten a goalie with a straight up shot. Only thing that's changed is the tuner.

Check out My Edmonton Oilers Dynasty

# 26 sabres32 @ 02/13/16 07:40 PM
In BE A GM they need to show the amount of goals a player has on the season when he scores. When the window appears it obviously says the goal scorers name and who assisted but I would love it if in paranthesis it said how many goals the player has. This seems like a small need but I'm a stat guy.

# 27 MDgolf @ 02/13/16 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres32
In BE A GM they need to show the amount of goals a player has on the season when he scores. When the window appears it obviously says the goal scorers name and who assisted but I would love it if in paranthesis it said how many goals the player has. This seems like a small need but I'm a stat guy.

You would think think they would have the common sense do have already put this in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 28 camo @ 02/13/16 11:05 PM
Changed my opinion of the tuner. Have serious regret downloading it. Was having good games, now not so much. Cpu can hit like scott Stevens and dangle like lemieux regardless of which player it is. I am pissed to because i had a good season going. If you haven't gotten the update and are having fun don't risk it.

Check out My Edmonton Oilers Dynasty

# 29 BigBadAss33 @ 02/14/16 11:33 AM
Hmmm.. I downloaded with hesitation but WOW!! The game has improved so much. I dont know if they tamed the puck physics but the shots coming off the goalie are no longer magnetically sucked back in for a stoppage.

The CPU AI is WAAAAYYYY better and they are not out of position as much any more.

IMO a MAJOR Improvement for sure!!!!

# 30 Money99 @ 02/14/16 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
Hmmm.. I downloaded with hesitation but WOW!! The game has improved so much. I dont know if they tamed the puck physics but the shots coming off the goalie are no longer magnetically sucked back in for a stoppage.

The CPU AI is WAAAAYYYY better and they are not out of position as much any more.

Agreed.

Just had a very satisfying 4-3 OT loss to the Kings as the Canadiens.
Not one goal felt cheap.

Really enjoying this game so far. I think I'll wait for the post-trade deadline rosters to come out before starting a franchise. Not sure I can hold off that long though.

# 31 MizzouRah @ 02/14/16 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33

Agreed.. player separation is the best it has ever been! Puck is really loose now, bouncing off sticks, skates, boards, etc.

Seems to me like the CPU AI has improved too. I REALLY have to work to get good scoring chances and so far, I haven't seen one cheap goal.

# 32 bad_philanthropy @ 02/14/16 03:22 PM
The player separation is excellent now. No longer seeing the wrong players snipe, and carrying the puck with plugs is much less effective at generating offense. I like this direction.

# 33 Money99 @ 02/14/16 05:17 PM
And another fun game beating the Avs 5-2 with the Jets.
I've only played 7 or 8 games, but so far I'm seeing a noticeable difference between teams.
Colorado had a more porous defence than Chicago. And certain players are way more effective at threading needles or making low percentage passes.

Some goalies are rocks as well. Quick was dang near impossible to beat with any shot he could see. All 3 goals were scored off of rebound and goal-mouth scrambles.
Meanwhile, I was able to beat Varlamov with clean shots; albeit from in-tight.

There is definitely a lot of good going on with this series. the devs seem to be on the right track and are trying to provide a realistic experience.

I'm having a lot of fun with '16, but must say, I'm excited to see what NHL17 has to offer.
If the recent tuners are any indication, it should be a must-buy for me.
That's something I haven't said since NHL08.

# 34 bad_philanthropy @ 02/14/16 05:52 PM
Quote:
And another fun game beating the Avs 5-2 with the Jets.
I've only played 7 or 8 games, but so far I'm seeing a noticeable difference between teams.
Colorado had a more porous defence than Chicago. And certain players are way more effective at threading needles or making low percentage passes.

Some goalies are rocks as well. Quick was dang near impossible to beat with any shot he could see. All 3 goals were scored off of rebound and goal-mouth scrambles.
Meanwhile, I was able to beat Varlamov with clean shots; albeit from in-tight.

There is definitely a lot of good going on with this series. the devs seem to be on the right track and are trying to provide a realistic experience.

I'm having a lot of fun with '16, but must say, I'm excited to see what NHL17 has to offer.
If the recent tuners are any indication, it should be a must-buy for me.
That's something I haven't said since NHL08.
Great points, and I agree about 17. I just hope that it doesn't all disappear, and we end up with the tuner going back in the right direction mid February again.

# 35 Steven547 @ 02/14/16 07:22 PM
Question about the player separation. How are you guys seeing this? I don't see any at all. Is this because of the attribute effect slider? I have mine at 3 and see no difference. Heck, I had a defenseman for Buffalo skate toe to toe with Ovechkin...

# 36 ballgameronny @ 02/14/16 07:32 PM
What sliders are you guys using?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

# 37 MDgolf @ 02/14/16 07:35 PM
Yes jack up the attribute slider almost to max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 38 BigBadAss33 @ 02/14/16 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
Question about the player separation. How are you guys seeing this? I don't see any at all. Is this because of the attribute effect slider? I have mine at 3 and see no difference. Heck, I had a defenseman for Buffalo skate toe to toe with Ovechkin...
I play with ATTRIBUTE SLIDERS at 0.

Playing as the Bruins, Marchand and Bergeron are on my penalty kill and each got a step on the dman after blocking a shot and they were gone!!

Here are the Sliders i use.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...y-removed.html

# 39 PES3Paul @ 02/15/16 06:21 AM
Are we ever going to get 2015-16 Moments? Still none of those yet.

# 40 bad_philanthropy @ 02/15/16 09:20 AM
So one thing I always do to test the game and its updates is play a bunch of CHL, AHL, Euro, and NHL games.

In the past, the attribute ranges and player separation have been tuned in such a way that at levels lower than the NHL, the ability of skaters is usually so closely clustered around mediocre to low attributes (relative to the game's tuning of the 0-100 scale) that the goalies dominate and it is difficult to consistently generate offense. As a result the games have a very uniform feel. I wouldn't call it defensive—more like ineptitude. The NHL level yields an opposite in which skaters shooting abilities often far outclass goalie ability (unless re-balanced with slider of course.) and save percentages sit between .850-.899 on average.

This is also somewhat the case with Euro leagues, and this seems a combination of attribute ranges and the AI not understanding the larger ice very well.

The preceding rating/gameplay stuff has been the case since forever in the series.

So, after the most recent patch and tuner I'm getting a variety of results in CHL games. From kind of sloppy to wild and wooly high scoring affairs (these seem to relate to teams and goalie ratings). In addition to that, there are a good variety of NHL scores, and the goalies do not seem too inept, nor do skaters seems overpowered. It seems like NHL games will produce a credible sv% at .900 and up with deviations from that in either direction at an acceptable quantity.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.