Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

GameInformer has posted a new MLB The Show 16 video with Ramone Russell. They discuss many of the new features in the game, including franchise, player morale and much more. Check it out and post your thoughts!

Thanks for the tip, Grant Thomas!

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 og236 @ 02/21/16 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip_16
We don't know how the morale will work exactly until we see it or play it ourselves but even tho Nunez moved 4 pts overall a couple attributes could have been bumped up by 1 which in the long run doesn't make that much of a difference

This is how I think it'll work. Plus/Minus 1s in attributes aren't much of a jump, so I don't think it's much of a difference. The overall probably fluctuates due to the amount of attributes getting a +/- 1 or 2 maybe, even then not a big noticeable difference in gameplay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 102 Lovesports @ 02/21/16 01:16 PM
Honestly I'm more interested in player progression then a minor jump in ratings over morale. Player progression needs to be improved and based on performance, training and potential. Potential being the least important of the three. How many times have we seen a player who has a world of talent and simply turned out to be a bust because he had off the field issues. Performance and training are the most important aspects of player progression in my opinion.

# 103 tabarnes19_SDS @ 02/21/16 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Honestly I'm more interested in player progression then a minor jump in ratings over morale. Player progression needs to be improved and based on performance, training and potential. Potential being the least important of the three. How many times have we seen a player who has a world of talent and simply turned out to be a bust because he had off the field issues. Performance and training are the most important aspects of player progression in my opinion.
I completely disagree that potential should have the least effect. It should have the highest, followed by training, followed by performance.

I know of plenty of guys that train and work harder than superstars that never amount to anything. Plenty of guys who are one hit wonders and perform well to fall off the cliff. Batting average is alot of luck.

Guys that have the raw tools have the highest potential and when skills like patience and understanding of the game take hold they take it to another level.

Performance is based off the raw skills it is never stats that make a player better.

Where I agree is that velocity and speed should not progress after 22 or 23. They statistically begin to actual start falling off around age 26.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

# 104 Drew127 @ 02/21/16 01:51 PM
I'd love to see a feature in franchise mode that has minor league rehab assignments after injuries. Would add to the strategy involved and make a good use of the existing minor league features.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

# 105 MrOldboy @ 02/21/16 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I completely disagree that potential should have the least effect. It should have the highest, followed by training, followed by performance.

I know of plenty of guys that train and work harder than superstars that never amount to anything. Plenty of guys who are one hit wonders and perform well to fall off the cliff. Batting average is alot of luck.

Guys that have the raw tools have the highest potential and when skills like patience and understanding of the game take hold they take it to another level.

Performance is based off the raw skills it is never stats that make a player better.

Where I agree is that velocity and speed should not progress after 22 or 23. They statistically begin to actual start falling off around age 26.

Agreed, but only if the range of success to failure is huge. I want a player reaching their potential to be rare. And I definitely want that tied to how I manage the player as a GM. Like I mentioned before things like how many at-bats I give a player, gaining different secondary (or primary) positions based on where I assign them and also reducing/increasing ratings based on how the player is used (i.e. starter moved to bullpen loses stamina and eventually turns into a RP/CP).

# 106 Lovesports @ 02/21/16 03:09 PM
Quote:

You make a very good point, however, I think that performance has to be taken into account in some way. You can't have a guy hit 30+ home runs and be a 62 overall next year. Not only is that unrealistic but it also affects player contracts.

# 107 tabarnes19_SDS @ 02/21/16 03:24 PM
I think as the series progresses you will find more of a balance with progression and lack of attaining it. I think the Show has done a pretty good job of having a roll of the dice with players jumping and falling in potential based on streaks and performance.

Most players never hit their potential in the Show.

Basing progression off statistics is a slippery slope. Look at last year. Statistics provided very little boost yet it negatively impacted pitcher progression. Pitchers continually got better as hitters got worst and stats continued to trend that way in future seasons. I believe the devs were going to look at that for this year.

I personally do not like having stats play a role in progression. If anything a good season may move the progression needle, think of guys that have bad years..should that cause the pendulum to shift in the negative direction?

Mike Trout has bad luck and hits .250...his ratings and potential drop. Stats are based off the ratings and hence every year he gets worst...is that really how we want it.

Players generally get worst because they lose the raw skills as they age. Some players hold on longer by getting "smarter."

# 108 JTommy67 @ 02/21/16 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
Something I always noticed was how almost every no swing 3rd strike had my batter look at the ump and complain or osmething, even when I screwed up and just didn't swing at a clear strike.

I wonder if there's a few more animations to the tune of guys just being mad at themselves. I also wonder if they have pitchers who run off the mound to the dugout after a inning ending strike out in the game.
Yeah, and it's also kind of silly watching my starting pitcher, who's taking a shutout into the 7th inning, start arguing with the ump when he strikes out looking. LOL not gonna happen in real life.

# 109 jmik58 @ 02/21/16 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I disagree.

I think it adds a dynamic in the game that is true to real life. Chemistry is a part of the game and not everybody is happy with being a platoon guy or waiting in the minors, not to mention that playing for a winner or a great coach can swing a guy. I just like the fact that it's not just about money in signing a guy as there's more variables at play. It makes franchise and the GM mode much more entertaining.

The key is that it's implemented correctly; I'm hoping that there is a slider (similar to NBA 2K) where we can either amplify or tone down the effects player morale...I'm sure SCEA has thought of that and implemented it.

...again though, just me and my $.02.
What video games miss when incorporating morale is an individual's professionalism to push past their feelings and still play to their ability. You can be cranky about your role on the team or with whatever but it doesn't automatically mean you're going to play like garbage or lose ability. Heck, some guys actually get inspired and play better when they're upset.

There's a right way to implement morale in a balanced way, but until then it needs to come with an "off" switch.

# 110 Bobhead @ 02/21/16 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
The issue is for those who do not want to do the micromanaging of their franchises. I tend to ignore training since I'm there mostly to make a fantasy team and play baseball games in my franchise. If it can be turned off great, if not we'll I think many people might find it tedious to do seemingly arbitrary things like have players of similar national origins on their team. That hurts people who want to make a diverse team with whoever they want. Now you ha e to think "Do I really want that guy from Cuba or the guy from Venezuela instead since I already have 2 Venezuelan players already." Adds a layer of depth that I don't think I need and hope I can disable it or at least time it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I agree that morale and personality for players is a good thing. I like making FA signings a bit more context-dependent, too. But, having their attributes/tools depend on their "morale" reeks of arcade-y-ness. I don't like that aspect. It's just not a realistic approach. Unhappy players can perform just fine and happy players can be terrible. There must be some other way to make consequences/incentives for player morale.
I 100% get what you guys are saying, but I think you are overreacting. We are talking about a 2 point difference in OVR, which is basically nothing.

We ALREADY have instances where player X with 80 OVR performs far better than player Y with 90 OVR. We ALREADY have instances where player A agreeably has better ratings than player B, but gets a lower OVR, due to how OVR is calculated.

I don't think you are going to even notice this, which is more or less true for real life, too.

# 111 Bobhead @ 02/21/16 04:00 PM
And as someone who's also played real life sports I will jump on the bandwagon with others and say morale affects performance 100%.

# 112 MrOldboy @ 02/21/16 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I 100% get what you guys are saying, but I think you are overreacting. We are talking about a 2 point difference in OVR, which is basically nothing.

We ALREADY have instances where player X with 80 OVR performs far better than player Y with 90 OVR. We ALREADY have instances where player A agreeably has better ratings than player B, but gets a lower OVR, due to how OVR is calculated.

I don't think you are going to even notice this, which is more or less true for real life, too.
It completely depends on which ratings are being affected. Like I said the "mental" ratings like vision or BB/9 I'd be fine with changing, it might make sense in some cases as well. But speed, power, velocity need to remain those players' skills. A couple points up in velocity and that player no longer represents what he is in real life which I know is not how many people on here want to play franchise. A few in speed can do the same as well.

You can argue that a happier player may take better swings and put the ball in play more, well give him a boost in vision. But I don't think any argument makes sense to say that a player gains a little power when being happy. There are ways to affect performance without affecting a players skills. I will say it again...Is Anthony Rizzo playing slightly worse because he is on a team friendly contract? Going from the Felix Hernandez screenshot that is what part of the morale system is doing although very slightly.

We have no idea what ratings the morale is affecting, that is why I think some are concerned. As of now we may be exaggerating the issue, but I don't see that as a reason to discount the concern.

# 113 WaitTilNextYear @ 02/21/16 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMacc44
Also Jesse Biddle, the Phillies former 1st round draft pick, was playing great into May of 2014 when he got a concussion from being hit by a piece of ice and going into a depression in which he was unhappy doing anything baseball related. Since then he hasn't kept an era below like 4 or 5.
That's more of an injury than a morale issue. Both concussions and depression are actual, physical maladies which can and should affect performance. He's not sulking because there are no Canadians on his team. It's not a bad morale situation.

# 114 eric7064 @ 02/21/16 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
It completely depends on which ratings are being affected. Like I said the "mental" ratings like vision or BB/9 I'd be fine with changing, it might make sense in some cases as well. But speed, power, velocity need to remain those players' skills. A couple points up in velocity and that player no longer represents what he is in real life which I know is not how many people on here want to play franchise. A few in speed can do the same as well.

You can argue that a happier player may take better swings and put the ball in play more, well give him a boost in vision. But I don't think any argument makes sense to say that a player gains a little power when being happy. There are ways to affect performance without affecting a players skills. I will say it again...Is Anthony Rizzo playing slightly worse because he is on a team friendly contract? Going from the Felix Hernandez screenshot that is what part of the morale system is doing although very slightly.

We have no idea what ratings the morale is affecting, that is why I think some are concerned. As of now we may be exaggerating the issue, but I don't see that as a reason to discount the concern.
Well as you can see It didn't effect Hernandez's rating nor will it effect Rizzo. But if there were a few things checked off he was unhappy about then yes. Here's another way to look at it. Let's say a guy like Bryant wins MVP, but he's still in Arb contract. And the team magically is horrible. Maybe that concern over the contract didn't matter bc the team was doing good. But now team is bad and hE would lke a big multi year deal.

# 115 Cowboy008 @ 02/21/16 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles
Some good stuff in there. Excuse me if this has already been answered but can we finally extend our players during the season in Franchise?
Will probably have to wait until the Franchise stream to have that question answered.

# 116 eric7064 @ 02/21/16 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles
Some good stuff in there. Excuse me if this has already been answered but can we finally extend our players during the season in Franchise?
Not sure. I understand why people want in in. But realistically who in there walk year ever signs a deal mid season.

# 117 MrOldboy @ 02/21/16 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7064
Not sure. I understand why people want in in. But realistically who in there walk year ever signs a deal mid season.
Why would it be limited to walk year? What about arbitration players or free agents you signed to short 1-2 year deals. Managers are extended all the time in their final year as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7064
Well as you can see It didn't effect Hernandez's rating nor will it effect Rizzo. But if there were a few things checked off he was unhappy about then yes. Here's another way to look at it. Let's say a guy like Bryant wins MVP, but he's still in Arb contract. And the team magically is horrible. Maybe that concern over the contract didn't matter bc the team was doing good. But now team is bad and hE would lke a big multi year deal.
First

And also regarding the bolded part. Of course that should come into play, but his ratings? I'd say that if Bryant was harder to sign in that scenario it would be cool to see in franchise, but not if now his skill ratings dropped. I DO want to see situations where an unhappy player is hard to sign or hopefully one day extend, but I DON'T want something like that to affect their skills which in turn affect gameplay and how the AI manages them.

# 118 Lovesports @ 02/21/16 05:32 PM
Quote:
I think as the series progresses you will find more of a balance with progression and lack of attaining it. I think the Show has done a pretty good job of having a roll of the dice with players jumping and falling in potential based on streaks and performance.

Most players never hit their potential in the Show.

Basing progression off statistics is a slippery slope. Look at last year. Statistics provided very little boost yet it negatively impacted pitcher progression. Pitchers continually got better as hitters got worst and stats continued to trend that way in future seasons. I believe the devs were going to look at that for this year.

I personally do not like having stats play a role in progression. If anything a good season may move the progression needle, think of guys that have bad years..should that cause the pendulum to shift in the negative direction?

Mike Trout has bad luck and hits .250...his ratings and potential drop. Stats are based off the ratings and hence every year he gets worst...is that really how we want it.

Players generally get worst because they lose the raw skills as they age. Some players hold on longer by getting "smarter."

Unless you create a separate "performance" attribute all on its own, you have to take performance into consideration for player progression. Think about it. You have a 60 overall player in his last year of contract, he hits .320 with 30 homers, according to you he should maybe go up a point or two and now you get to resign him for under a million per year. Very unrealistic and would never happen in real life. How players get scouted is based on their performance, so if he hits 30 homers, his ratings should reflect that. On the other side of what you're saying, if Trout his .250 it's not the end of the world, but let's say he hits .250, leads the league in strikeouts and gets 10 homers, you still think he's a 30 million a year guy? Potential in my opinion is the most overrated way to progress a player. Just cause a scout thinks a player has the "potential" that doesn't mean he lives up to it.

# 119 MrOldboy @ 02/21/16 06:34 PM
Quote:
Unless you create a separate "performance" attribute all on its own, you have to take performance into consideration for player progression. Think about it. You have a 60 overall player in his last year of contract, he hits .320 with 30 homers, according to you he should maybe go up a point or two and now you get to resign him for under a million per year. Very unrealistic and would never happen in real life. How players get scouted is based on their performance, so if he hits 30 homers, his ratings should reflect that. On the other side of what you're saying, if Trout his .250 it's not the end of the world, but let's say he hits .250, leads the league in strikeouts and gets 10 homers, you still think he's a 30 million a year guy? Potential in my opinion is the most overrated way to progress a player. Just cause a scout thinks a player has the "potential" that doesn't mean he lives up to it.
This is why I would want the AI to look at player performance much more than it does. The ratings impact everything from gameplay to simmed stats, but in the end performance is what teams put the most value on in real life. Now that WAR has been introduced I really hope that we can see more realistic evaluations by the game's AI and also some dumb moves that represent the bad decisions real world teams make. I think progression doesn't have to be tied heavily to performance, but regression should be. If a 37 year old player has a big year in my franchise I find it completely unrealistic that his ratings tank the next year because of his age. Then he goes unsigned, after putting up a .290/.350/.460 batting line? Every year in my franchise I have to go in and bump back up players like Arod or Ortiz as they drop so far they go unused. It's even more important for players on the fringe ratings wise. John Lackey is a very valuable pitcher still, but if his ratings drop even a tiny bit he moves into "crap" MLB pitcher according to The Show and should be in AAA or retire. If Lackey is rated a 75 and he pitches well I expect him to enter next year in the range of 74-76, not 67.

# 120 Knight165 @ 02/21/16 06:59 PM
Quote:

You're mixing two different things though.
tabarnes is talking about performance not being the largest factor in progression....
You're saying that having a big season should bring a guy a bigger contract.
Two totally different things.

But let's continue onto the last part of your post....
So if Mike Trout does have a year of .250.....10 HR's and 200 K's....you're saying he should drop like a rock in ratings?

....and guys that hit .290 30 out of no where always continues that rocket skyward?

Because that's basically what a stat driven progression would do.

VERY unrealistic IMO.

M.K.
Knight165

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.