Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

Sony San Diego has just released another MLB The Show 16 video. This one features everything you want to know about Franchise mode, including player morale, free agent signings, blockbuster trade notifications, and updated budgets.

Other little improvements include new GM goals, an authentic 20-80 scale for scouting and more. More details will arrive on their Twitch stream, scheduled for Thursday, March 3 at 5:00 PM ET.

Watch the video here
to find out what Luis Martinez from the Developer team has to say about it.

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 mariner690 @ 03/01/16 08:51 PM
Has there been any mention if the players will have their TRUE contracts in the game or just random ones?

# 122 tessl @ 03/01/16 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I may be the minority here but I really hope that if you promise a player "starter" and place him on the bench his ratings take a major hit. It would simulate the disgruntled player and lower the trade value. (Hopefully the morale ratings are what are used for trade purposes)

This would prevent cpu and human teams from signing a bunch of starter type players and using them as depth or trade fodder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
That is an interesting thought, does an increase or decrease in overall due to morale impact trade value or only performance. Another way to "game" free agent signing would be with the compatriot - A player from the Dominican wants a compatriot so you sign a 45 overall guy from the Dominican with no intention of putting him on the MLB team just to sign the free agent. Or what if his compatriot gets injured and goes on the DL - does he become unhappy?

They have done some very interesting stuff this year, a major improvement.

# 123 eric7064 @ 03/01/16 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Funny(not haha funny)....that the online guys want the online franchise to like the offline franchise....and I've been begging for a franchise mode that mimics the online one(in terms of being able to customize the league setup)
OR
Let us manage only in online leagues!!!(PLEASE!!!)

M.K.
Knight165
It's just weird MLB 14 was identical. Mlb 15 online franchise went untouched. I understand not having minor leagues play games because it would take an eternity to sim.

But I don't see by everything else can't be identical.
OF still does not have
Position player fatigue
Rotation schedules
Injuries done correctly
Presentation set to fast play
And all additions to franchise last year were not In Online

I find it funny dev team says "Well not many people played MLB 14 online franchise." Well that was because the Show online then was unplayable.

Now it's playable. It's fun as hell to share a franchise and compete for a division with a freind or two. Very fun. Hopefully it gets the same love.

# 124 Woodweaver @ 03/01/16 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I'm starting to get the feeling that people just read the first sentence of my post.

I read your whole post this time! ;-)

# 125 agentlaw13 @ 03/01/16 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I may be the minority here but I really hope that if you promise a player "starter" and place him on the bench his ratings take a major hit. It would simulate the disgruntled player and lower the trade value. (Hopefully the morale ratings are what are used for trade purposes)

This would prevent cpu and human teams from signing a bunch of starter type players and using them as depth or trade fodder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

This is exactly how I hope it will work. It definitely will add more strategy to building your team, which will breath some fresh air into the offseason of our franchises. That makes me wonder...have we seen or heard if there will be an overall team chemistry along with player morales?

# 126 Bobhead @ 03/01/16 10:07 PM
Quote:
At first I didn't really like the idea of the morale system, but after the details they've released, it seems like there is more control over it than "y is whining because you're serving sandwiches as a pre-game meal and he wanted soup".

The way it seems to be, when negotiating a contract you agree not only to a financial number, but the role they are going to play. You can make no promises when in comes to the role, and that's going to lose interest in signing the contract, but will make the player less delicate once they sign. I REALLY like that tradeoff of risk and reward for morale. Makes identifying my core all the more important, because those are the guys who I will promise roles to in order to try for the hometown discount.

It will also make me more trade wary, as I see the promises that come with the contract a player carries. It's a nice analog to emotional baggage/attitude problems.

I just hope that carry over saves have all current contracts with no playtime expectations, otherwise my team full of superstars is going to be really pissed I have most of them working platoon roles. Glad I'm downsizing to a 5 pitcher rotation this season.
My only concern is, can any player be signed to any role?

I remember MVP Baseball had a similar morale system. I HATED it. You basically had to offer "indispensable" (the guaranteed everyday starter equivalent) roles to pretty much everyone or they just wouldn't sign. Even if you paid many many millions above their asking price, they flat out would not sign unless you upped their role.

I don't think that any of that was realistic, because real life players accept diminished roles all the time. Once upon a time Wade Davis was a starting pitcher, remember? You think MVP 2005 Wade Davis would have accepted a relief pitcher role? I doubt it.

Of course every player wants to be the team's #1 guy, but it's not a sticking point the way it was in MVP ball. If you have a good reason, most players will gladly take a diminished role, especially if its on a playoff contending team.

So I sincerely hope that this promise/role system has a very limited influence over the outcome of negotiations, and morale.

# 127 Lovesports @ 03/01/16 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharp14
Doesn't seem like awards won are gonna be tracked. Really disappointing if true
This is a total bummer for me too. Tracking awards preferably in the player card (like NBA 2K) is a great feature that is much needed. The one they have now isn't terrible but it'd be much better if it was tracking awards for more than just 3 years

# 128 TheWarmWind @ 03/01/16 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
My only concern is, can any player be signed to any role?

I sincerely hope that this promise/role system has a very limited influence over the outcome of negotiations, and morale.
Well if you comb through the video, you'll notice the first example, SP Brett Anderson has his interest gauge move up with every single factor they change. They actually change the money quite a bit, and while each tick was small, it showed no signs of stopping or slowing down. I'm guessing different players have different priorities. Some care about their role, some would accept any role on a contender, some might even care the most about money. I think how it's going to work is that you can use the role to help swing the interest in your favour, but if need be you can still just pile on money to win.

I think this is more of a budget finagling system as opposed to a straight jacket "must bend to the free agent's whims" system.

# 129 Bobhead @ 03/01/16 10:58 PM
Quote:
Well if you comb through the video, you'll notice the first example, SP Brett Anderson has his interest gauge move up with every single factor they change. They actually change the money quite a bit, and while each tick was small, it showed no signs of stopping or slowing down. I'm guessing different players have different priorities. Some care about their role, some would accept any role on a contender, some might even care the most about money. I think how it's going to work is that you can use the role to help swing the interest in your favour, but if need be you can still just pile on money to win.

I think this is more of a budget finagling system as opposed to a straight jacket "must bend to the free agent's whims" system.
I re-watched the Brett Anderson bit and you're exactly right. It didn't seem like a critical point, which is good.

Thanks.

# 130 zippy2212 @ 03/01/16 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I re-watched the Brett Anderson bit and you're exactly right. It didn't seem like a critical point, which is good.

Thanks.
I'm hoping that this works the way I'm guessing it was intended. A players ratings will help determine certain roles. If you want to sign a King Felix or a Price you better tell them their going to be your ace. A Brett Anderson will accept a lesser role but more cash, etc. If it works something similar to that I think it will be awesome. The same with in game management. If a highly rated player is sitting 8-10 games they are upset and lower rated players are fine playing a couple times a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

# 131 Houston @ 03/01/16 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
So I guess it would be asking too much, to ask for sortable rookie stats as well? Any possible way Rusell and his team could add that last minute?
For the record his name is Ramone.

# 132 Houston @ 03/01/16 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
I agree. What I am particularly interested in whether the Inside Edge type stats will show up on screen during game and at bats. I know IE is not in franchise this year but the lack of pitcher v. hitter, situational, day/night, ballpark type stats are really missing. Even having the head to head stats like in RTTS would have been a welcome addition. I was hoping they would be in game in some form this year. Seems in years past you only had some of these stats in play now as opposed to franchise.
I think think they mentioned in a stream for this year Inside Edge is only online this year.

# 133 Houston @ 03/01/16 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
It's still odd to me that offline franchise and online franchise have different aspects to them. It seems more logical to me to make online the same as offline but with the added bonus of having online users vs. AI.

Maybe that's just me though.
I wish is was all one mode online franchise & offline franchise the only difference would be the ability to invite friends or league members to that 1 franchise.

# 134 MetsFan16 @ 03/01/16 11:21 PM
Interested to see how let's say an OSFM player's moral is handled. Is it random? does it only effect SCEA players? Or is it customizeable outside the mode (similar to contract) Same with draft picks.

# 135 Cowboy008 @ 03/01/16 11:29 PM
I know this is probably a stupid question but will the players you draft every year also have morale?

# 136 TattooedEvil @ 03/01/16 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
Totally agree. This video was basically a teaser that showed better stat tracking. It seems like they made signing free agents really easy. Nothing about this made me excited that they really did anything of substance to enhance franchise mode. On the other hand, as others have suggested, they will get into more details during the twitch stream on Thursday. But I'm not expecting anything big. Because if they had any other big additions, I'd assume they would have put them in the video blog they released today.

I'm assuming the twitch stream will clarify some smaller things people have been asking for, but nothing earth shattering.

I was really hoping for the ability to import SCEA players when they are added this year (already confirmed out). And it seems like every year is going to be the year that "franchise mode gets a refresh" but its just mostly the same. Its a really good mode to begin with, so maybe it doesn't really need a redo, but things do get stale over time. Don't get me wrong, I'll still play it, but I just don't think the additions seem all that big of an upgrade over 2015.
not saying you, but i think a lot of ppl dont see that the devs seem to get really deep into this rather then do surface upgrades/additions. they are getting deeper into stats and even players personalities rather then throwing out horrible relocation franchise stuff like other games. Everyone has been asking for career stats, and now that they put that in its not good enough. I just think ppl need to appreciate that they are basically making the base of this game and mode stronger. This was a 3 minute video and we all know Thursday will be an hour plus....i highly doubt that they will only talk about FAs and stats for 60-90 minutes. They like to hide stuff from us and make 95.3% of this site freak out. Something else is going to be released Thursday but I honestly love what I saw....I'm big on roster layouts so the contract layout was huge to me. I'm really hoping they announce that u can eat money in trades tho!

# 137 TattooedEvil @ 03/02/16 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner690
Has there been any mention if the players will have their TRUE contracts in the game or just random ones?
u have to edit them if u want real life contracts

# 138 Bondsfan @ 03/02/16 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedEvil
not saying you, but i think a lot of ppl dont see that the devs seem to get really deep into this rather then do surface upgrades/additions. they are getting deeper into stats and even players personalities rather then throwing out horrible relocation franchise stuff like other games. Everyone has been asking for career stats, and now that they put that in its not good enough. I just think ppl need to appreciate that they are basically making the base of this game and mode stronger. This was a 3 minute video and we all know Thursday will be an hour plus....i highly doubt that they will only talk about FAs and stats for 60-90 minutes. They like to hide stuff from us and make 95.3% of this site freak out. Something else is going to be released Thursday but I honestly love what I saw....I'm big on roster layouts so the contract layout was huge to me. I'm really hoping they announce that u can eat money in trades tho!
I can't help but be frustrated after that video, because afterall, franchise has changed in small increments, and every year it seems like "next year will be the year for franchise mode improvements". This stuff IS improvement, don't get me wrong. But its hardly anything that is going to be a game changer, at least for me. I could care less what David Ortiz's OPS in 1998 was. I just don't care. I know that hardcore stat folks have been clamoring for this level of detail, and I am thrilled for them that they were listened to and they go it. But it does little to impact the feel of a Franchise mode that is going stale, at least for me. Hopefully scouting and training are better, GM mode goals are better than "win the WS in the next two years or your fired", and the morale system is something that actually impacts the game (storylines mentioned in the radio show based on upset players?) rather than something like some tiny drop in rating by -1 or +1 based on the morale of the player.

This is the third game on PS4. We're almost 1/2 way through the consoles life cycle before the next consoles launch. What we have right now is an improved PS3 experience when it comes to Franchise mode. The gameplay and graphics have taken a HUGE leap when it comes to the PS4, but Franchise mode just seems to be an afterthought. I would love to see a true next generation experience, akin to OOTP but where you can play the games. I know we're not going to get that in one year, I'm realistic. But I guess I'm just hoping of big changes to Franchise every year only to see small ones that don't really resonate much with me.

I totally agree with you though, about rushing to judgement before all the details are released. I'll reserve judgement until Thursday. I'm assuming there's more, because, like you said, how will they fill an hour long stream just by showing stats and the new FA and morale mechanic. There's gotta be more!

# 139 TattooedEvil @ 03/02/16 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
I can't help but be frustrated after that video, because afterall, franchise has changed in small increments, and every year it seems like "next year will be the year for franchise mode improvements". This stuff IS improvement, don't get me wrong. But its hardly anything that is going to be a game changer, at least for me. I could care less what David Ortiz's OPS in 1998 was. I just don't care. I know that hardcore stat folks have been clamoring for this level of detail, and I am thrilled for them that they were listened to and they go it. But it does little to impact the feel of a Franchise mode that is going stale, at least for me. Hopefully scouting and training are better, GM mode goals are better than "win the WS in the next two years or your fired", and the morale system is something that actually impacts the game (storylines mentioned in the radio show based on upset players?) rather than something like some tiny drop in rating by -1 or +1 based on the morale of the player.

This is the third game on PS4. We're almost 1/2 way through the consoles life cycle before the next consoles launch. What we have right now is an improved PS3 experience when it comes to Franchise mode. The gameplay and graphics have taken a HUGE leap when it comes to the PS4, but Franchise mode just seems to be an afterthought. I would love to see a true next generation experience, akin to OOTP but where you can play the games. I know we're not going to get that in one year, I'm realistic. But I guess I'm just hoping of big changes to Franchise every year only to see small ones that don't really resonate much with me.

I totally agree with you though, about rushing to judgement before all the details are released. I'll reserve judgement until Thursday. I'm assuming there's more, because, like you said, how will they fill an hour long stream just by showing stats and the new FA and morale mechanic. There's gotta be more!
ya I'm with you on the stats thing for sure. I don't need em, but now at least I don't have to see a comment about needing them every 6-7 comments. Trading and contract structuring are probably the biggest things that i'd love to see considering Ramone already said there wont be a concession/ticket pricing part this year, although I think its coming and they wanna perfect it before they come. From one SF fan to another tho I would absolutely love to see if a HR over the bricks hits the water!

# 140 ktd1976 @ 03/02/16 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Looks good, as if SCEA is closing the gap some with NBA 2k. I'd still like confirmation on:

• Franchise player demotion/promotion based on more than just injuries
  • Will transfer saves include previous season stats INCLUDING your unique season stats previously played?
  • Bullpen AI so that RPs are used more strategically, and not just pulled after giving up a run
  • More subtle defensive shifts by AI
  • Spring training not counting as player option
  • The new playoff roster rule from 2015 that anyone on the 40-man roster is eligible, regardless whether they've played during the season or not
As TBarnes said earlier, any player who is on the 40 man roster, who is sent down during spring training, it DOES use an option. The Show has this CORRECT.

Also, there was no new playoff roster rule. To be eligible for the post season, a player MUST be either on the MLB roster on August 31st, or on the MLB disabled list.

A player who is on the MLB roster as of that date, but is subsequently injured, is able to be replaced by any player on the 40 man roster, provided they were with the organization on or before August 31st. Any player added AFTER August 31st is ineligible for the post season, regardless of if they are on the 40 man roster.

Players on the MLB DL can be replaced as well by anyone on the 40 man roster, provided they were with the organization on or before August 31st.

This has been the rule for YEARS, and MLB The Show gets it correct.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.