Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

Check out the latest MLB The Show 16 video, going over the 2 new modes coming to the game this year, Battle Royale and Conquest. Watch it and post your thoughts!

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Denzel Washington @ 03/07/16 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyShortstop
If conquest is moving towards your DD team as an expansion team, will we be maybe getting a stadium creator as well? Maybe like NBA 2k16 where you need a certain amount of cards to be able to create it
that's definitely not in this years version

I doubt we ever get a Stadium creator. It will require too many resources

# 42 baseball_fever @ 03/07/16 02:39 PM
Conquest looks like a VERY intriguing mode. Hats off to the guys at the studio for creating this mode for us. I am sure they heard all the angry gamers that we desperately needed a reason to play the CPU in DD mode. This really appears to be a brilliant idea, and I think it has most of us quite excited to play it.

(Ability to pick how many innings we play for Conquest would be nice along with presentation style)

# 43 Syce @ 03/07/16 02:58 PM
ya 3 innings just seems odd, i found in most of the online matches i played, people dont start scoring until atleast the 5th, usually the first 3 innings are just getting a feel for how each other pitches and stuff i find.

i have a feeling a lot of these games will be 0-0 after the end of the 3rd. but who knows at this point.

# 44 baseballsim @ 03/07/16 03:23 PM
Props to SDS for creating these modes. I didn't think they would develop a Draft Champions like mode. Just being able to draft a team is going to be a blast.

Play with friends and Battle Royale may reduce the number of matchups available in Online head to head Diamond Dynasty but I don't think it will be a huge problem.

I'm thinking we may see more Battle Royale quits with the 3 inning matchups but we don't have all the details on the mode yet.

# 45 myghty @ 03/07/16 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouserHUN
Also, If I'm not mistaken, you have to "pay" a certain amount of stubbs to play Battle Royale each time you draft a new team.

I'm sure It's going to be like Arena mode in Hearthstone, where an arena run is 150 golds and a pack is 100 golds, but you are guaranteed to get a pack in every Arena run no matter how many games you have won.

If I have to guess a Battle Royale run is going to be 1500 Stubbs, while a pack is going to be 1000 stubs. Don't think that you are going to get a reward worth 500 for 2 wins, but you could break even with the 5 wins reward.

You'll Never Walk Alone!
Being a fan of Hearthstone, this is exactly what I thought when I saw the video. Can't wait to try it out!

# 46 BrianU @ 03/07/16 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2345
Sorry but 3 Innings is too short. I get they want it to be quick games, but at least make it 5 inn. This will push people away from playing Battle Royale.
You know its gonna be full of people loading their teams full of power hitters and using power swing every at bat. That's not real baseball this mode is gonna be a gimmick if they keep it at 3 innings what a shame

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

# 47 HustlinOwl @ 03/07/16 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
You know its gonna be full of people loading their teams full of power hitters and using power swing every at bat. That's not real baseball this mode is gonna be a gimmick if they keep it at 3 innings what a shame

see the video your roster spots are limited, 1 diamond, 3 gold, 13 bronze etc

# 48 MrOldboy @ 03/07/16 03:42 PM
Quote:

The better players should still end up on top. You know going it's 3 innings so draft accordingly. I'd prefer longer to remove the effects of errors and other occurrences that are likely to only affect one of the two players in such a short game.

My concern is if people will stack their team with relievers with better stuff over starters. You know there will be people who draw Neshek and then use them every inning even when their energy is depleted. I love the idea since Hearthstone is a fun balance of risk/reward, but in 3 innings it may come down to how lucky you are drafting. In Hearthstone even mediocre cards can be used for solid strategies. If you draft the equivalent of a 1/1 Hearthstone card in The Show, that player is pretty useless.

Like others I still enjoy playing baseball with traditional baseball strategies. I don't like stacking my team or playing in a way that doesn't feel like baseball, but it's a video game so I will work within the game's systems.

# 49 cardinalbird5 @ 03/07/16 03:46 PM
Quote:

I believe itll be the opposite. Ppl stack their team with speed n try to steal and bunt their way to 1 run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 50 bcruise @ 03/07/16 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
I believe itll be the opposite. Ppl stack their team with speed n try to steal and bunt their way to 1 run.

Yeah. And speed can be gotten for cheap.

But if they really fixed the bunting and bunt defense this year maybe it won't be quite so overpowered.

# 51 letsgomets75 @ 03/07/16 03:48 PM
Quote:

Based on the video, every team will have 1 diamond, 2 gold, 8 silver, 13 bronze and 1 common player. It's going to be difficult to "stack" a team in any way.

# 52 MetsFan16 @ 03/07/16 04:03 PM
Quote:

Or they treat it like last 3 innings of the game where they need to manufacture runs with bunting, stealing, sac flys. Risky to count on home runs in 3 inning games, if you hit one great but if there's a dominant pitcher on the mound, gonna need to scratch out a run or two and not rely on long ball.

# 53 BrianU @ 03/07/16 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
The better players should still end up on top. You know going it's 3 innings so draft accordingly. I'd prefer longer to remove the effects of errors and other occurrences that are likely to only affect one of the two players in such a short game.

My concern is if people will stack their team with relievers with better stuff over starters. You know there will be people who draw Neshek and then use them every inning even when their energy is depleted. I love the idea since Hearthstone is a fun balance of risk/reward, but in 3 innings it may come down to how lucky you are drafting. In Hearthstone even mediocre cards can be used for solid strategies. If you draft the equivalent of a 1/1 Hearthstone card in The Show, that player is pretty useless.

Like others I still enjoy playing baseball with traditional baseball strategies. I don't like stacking my team or playing in a way that doesn't feel like baseball, but it's a video game so I will work within the game's systems.
My issue is if you want to do the best or be the best this 3 innings nonsense forces you into a playstyle I find undesirable. Even 5 innings would be a world of a difference but 3 innings is so short it's like comparing a 400 lap stockcar race to a drag race. Totally different game and one that I find pretty unappealing.

I know this is all speculation but we got nothing else to do for the next 3 weeks. This is how I think it will be and I am surprised the devs who pretty much always nail things being implemented in terms of thinking of the way its all balanced choose this.

# 54 BrianU @ 03/07/16 04:09 PM
Quote:

It could but it sounds like they really improved those things this year but yeah regardless it's just gonna be one lame playstyle that rises to the top of these formats and not close to what baseball is actually played like in the real world. Why even have real players, just make them all cartoon characters..

# 55 nemesis04 @ 03/07/16 04:18 PM
The modes sound cool, look forward to learning more with the developer blog and deep dive. I might have to spend some time with DD this year.

# 56 Denzel Washington @ 03/07/16 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Yeah. And speed can be gotten for cheap.

But if they really fixed the bunting and bunt defense this year maybe it won't be quite so overpowered.
I doubt it has been fixed.

What I would like to see is have stealing require some skill and not just be press l2 and wait for the pitcher to deliver. Make the player have to make the jump manually instead of it being automatic.

# 57 redsox4evur @ 03/07/16 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headzapp
I hope there are no trophies for these modes.
There will definitely be trophies for this mode.

# 58 Dolenz @ 03/07/16 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
There will definitely be trophies for this mode.

I would not bet the farm on it. They have been very good about implementing trophies that can be achieved in various game modes. Even the Card based achievements last year did not require you to play DD as you could earn cards from different game modes or use the stubs you earned to buy packs.

# 59 Speedy @ 03/07/16 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzel Washington
I doubt we ever get a Stadium creator. It will require too many resources
I wouldn't say never.

...but that's a separate discussion not related to this thread.

# 60 skrody @ 03/07/16 05:12 PM
also it looks like there are some new fonts available for DD jersey creation.

it wasn't red sox style or blocky and looked like old diamondbacks numbers so thats a plus!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.