Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

San Diego Studio game designer, Lance Leahy provides more details on the 2 new modes for MLB The Show 16 today. Check out the new video on Battle Royale and Conquest modes and post your thoughts.

Quote:
Battle Royale is the most challenging and competitive game mode Diamond Dynasty has ever seen. In this player-versus-player experience, you’ll be challenged to draft a team and outlast opponents in a double-elimination tournament to acquire unique rewards.

Conquest is like a classic turn-based strategy game that pits you against the 30 MLB teams on a map of North America. You’ll be tasked with the challenge of defeating MLB teams and conquering territories in order to complete specific missions that contain team-specific rewards.

Source - PlayStation.Blog

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Turbojugend @ 03/08/16 09:41 AM
Conquest Mode looks awesome, can't wait to try it out!

# 2 HustlinOwl @ 03/08/16 09:50 AM
damn this sounds really nice, pitcher energy scaled and unique in game situations!!!

# 3 HypoLuxa13 @ 03/08/16 10:11 AM
Conquest is ONLINE but still single player? I guess if it requires a PS+ subscription, count me out. Unless it just needs an internet connection like NBA 2k's "online" single player modes...

# 4 Dolenz @ 03/08/16 10:31 AM
Looking forward to more info on Conquest. Battle Royale seems pretty straight forward but Conquest with the different phases and such still seems a little fuzzy to me.

# 5 Armor and Sword @ 03/08/16 10:52 AM
Pretty excited to jump into these modes while waiting for OSFM Opening Day roster.

I love DD and this will just enhance it even more.

# 6 chiwhitesoxGOSOX @ 03/08/16 01:04 PM
These two new DD modes look very interesting. Can't wait to try them out !

# 7 baconbits11 @ 03/08/16 01:08 PM
Hmm, didn't even touch DD in MLB 15, but this sounds like Draft Champions in Madden which I love, so these modes would make me try it.

Will these modes be in the PS3 version also?

# 8 VinceJulien14 @ 03/08/16 01:31 PM
I never touch DD but conquest seems pretty cool, I'll play around with the that until OSFM releases!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 9 AceAmy @ 03/08/16 02:45 PM
Did he mean you have to play on all star or higher? or that you will eventually have to play on Legend? that would kind of sour me on what looks like a lot of fun. Legend is mind numbingly frustrating

# 10 masterchaoss @ 03/08/16 02:52 PM
I'm out on battle royal just because of the buy in. I like the concept but I don't want to have to pay stubs to play the mode hopefully they will drop the buy in pretty quick.

# 11 jm2054 @ 03/08/16 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchaoss
I'm out on battle royal just because of the buy in. I like the concept but I don't want to have to pay stubs to play the mode hopefully they will drop the buy in pretty quick.
They give a pack for signing up so they won't drop the pay in otherwise people would just cheese it for the pack

# 12 letsgomets75 @ 03/08/16 03:16 PM
Quote:
No chance they drop the buy in. Otherwise people would just play a game for a free pack over and over. 1,500 stubs with a guarantee of a 1,000 stub pack isn't bad. Plus it looks like you get a reward after each game and more bonuses after 2,5,etc. wins.

# 13 letsgomets75 @ 03/08/16 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceAmy
Did he mean you have to play on all star or higher? or that you will eventually have to play on Legend? that would kind of sour me on what looks like a lot of fun. Legend is mind numbingly frustrating
I think it depends on the fan count of each team. In the video, it was 6 million vs 6 million so the difficulty is in the middle at all-star. I'm assuming if you had less fans then the CPU, you have to play on HOF or Legend. If you have more fans, you could play on rookie or veteran. I'm guessing there is are thresholds that determine the difficulties you can choose from.

# 14 Mike Lowe @ 03/08/16 03:22 PM
Battle Royale seems interesting, but how can you eventually use those 'hard to earn cards' after winning a BR? I like the draft idea, but hope teams can't easily become stacked (again) with those cards. Maybe they are only used in other modes or to be sold?

I don't like the 3 inning games as it allows too much randomness to impact a winner instead of the best player over a 9 inning game.

SCEA needs to remember that MLB is what brings people to their game, not the other way around, and people can play role playing games in far better game offerings. This game is trying to be everything all at once, and that often times leads to mediocrity. Be great at what's made you--simulating MLB baseball.

# 15 Dolenz @ 03/08/16 03:22 PM
Quote:

They won't drop the stub buy-in as long as they are giving a free pack just for participating.

Other than buying cards or purchasing training points for RTTS what else is there to spend stubs on? Also, I think I heard them say that you would earn stubs at a higher rate this year.

# 16 cardinalbird5 @ 03/08/16 03:24 PM
I wonder what it will take to get Nolan Ryan, Tiant, and Arod? Because winning 20 out of 22 games or even like 25 out of 27 games would not be that difficult for some, but for many it would be impossible. I wonder if it will just be a total amount of wins like 300 or so?

# 17 myghty @ 03/08/16 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Battle Royale seems interesting, but how can you eventually use those 'hard to earn cards' after winning a BR? I like the draft idea, but hope teams can't easily become stacked (again) with those cards. Maybe they are only used in other modes or to be sold?

I don't like the 3 inning games as it allows too much randomness to impact a winner instead of the best player over a 9 inning game.

SCEA needs to remember that MLB is what brings people to their game, not the other way around, and people can play role playing games in far better game offerings. This game is trying to be everything all at once, and that often times leads to mediocrity. Be great at what's made you--simulating MLB baseball.
I totally disagree. More options, the better to bring additional costumers. If SCEA didn't add new modes the game would be stale & there would be no reason to keep buying it every year. We already know they make a great simulated MLB game, why not expand into new territory? Myself, I can't wait to play these modes!

# 18 Mike Lowe @ 03/08/16 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myghty
I totally disagree. More options, the better to bring additional costumers. If SCEA didn't add new modes the game would be stale & there would be no reason to keep buying it every year. We already know they make a great simulated MLB game, why not expand into new territory? Myself, I can't wait to play these modes!
They make a 'pretty good' MLB simulation game (bullpen AI needs attention).

I'm excited to see three weeks from now, both these modes and franchise. I'm not against these new modes, but I'd rather have seen a fully functional online league that works. I'm in the camp that believes online franchise numbers are low because the mode is--cough cough--severely lacking and unchanged.

# 19 E0910 @ 03/08/16 04:28 PM
I like the conquest mode because it'll make you use your DD team and that will be a fun mode to play and come back to later on. The battle royale though kinda is ruined with the whole buy in concept. I could care less about a free pack. Usually trash 99% of the time anyways. I think the battle royale is good because it'll let you try out the new players and see which ones are worth getting, but having to pay stubs is pretty weak to be honest. I feel like the devs this year are also forcing us to play how they want the game to be played. Some people like DD, some like franchise, RRTS, etc. Now its like well if you want that player you need to play battle royale to unlock this or unlock that. I feel they got way too carried away with all the unlockables this year. There are people who don't want to have to play others online all the time just to get a card. WAs really looking forward to this game, but not I am not feeling it. Draft Champions is what made madden awesome. You got to try out the new cards and the best part about that is you could still play with super expensive cards because cards like a 99, 98, 96 player rating would go for 2,3,4 million coins and in draft champions you could play with them for free and have fun. Maybe if stubs are earned faster it won't be too bad, but when you are trying to build a good DD team, paying 1,500 stubs upfront isnt worth it at all when you are saving stubs for a high player.

# 20 takki @ 03/08/16 04:45 PM
I agree that the buy-in is annoying. They should remove the free pack and make it free to play.

It should be free like in Madden 16 Draft Champions. If you lose, you get nothing but if you win, you get "tokens" you can cash in for packs once you get enough.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.