Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

San Diego Studio game designer, Lance Leahy provides more details on the 2 new modes for MLB The Show 16 today. Check out the new video on Battle Royale and Conquest modes and post your thoughts.

Quote:
Battle Royale is the most challenging and competitive game mode Diamond Dynasty has ever seen. In this player-versus-player experience, you’ll be challenged to draft a team and outlast opponents in a double-elimination tournament to acquire unique rewards.

Conquest is like a classic turn-based strategy game that pits you against the 30 MLB teams on a map of North America. You’ll be tasked with the challenge of defeating MLB teams and conquering territories in order to complete specific missions that contain team-specific rewards.

Source - PlayStation.Blog

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Dolenz @ 03/08/16 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E0910
I like the conquest mode because it'll make you use your DD team and that will be a fun mode to play and come back to later on. The battle royale though kinda is ruined with the whole buy in concept. I could care less about a free pack. Usually trash 99% of the time anyways. I think the battle royale is good because it'll let you try out the new players and see which ones are worth getting, but having to pay stubs is pretty weak to be honest. I feel like the devs this year are also forcing us to play how they want the game to be played. Some people like DD, some like franchise, RRTS, etc. Now its like well if you want that player you need to play battle royale to unlock this or unlock that. I feel they got way too carried away with all the unlockables this year. There are people who don't want to have to play others online all the time just to get a card. WAs really looking forward to this game, but not I am not feeling it. Draft Champions is what made madden awesome. You got to try out the new cards and the best part about that is you could still play with super expensive cards because cards like a 99, 98, 96 player rating would go for 2,3,4 million coins and in draft champions you could play with them for free and have fun. Maybe if stubs are earned faster it won't be too bad, but when you are trying to build a good DD team, paying 1,500 stubs upfront isnt worth it at all when you are saving stubs for a high player.

So you want them to just give away a standard pack and potentially other valuable cards just for entering the tournament?

I see it as a choice, I can spend 1,000 stubs on a standard pack or I can spend 1,500 stubs, participate in a tourney, get a standard pack, play with some different cards every time and have a chance to win other more valuable cards. Shoot, you'll probably even earn a few stubs while playing the tournament. Oh, and I think they did say that you would earn stubs at a faster rate this year.

The exclusive cards that you can only by winning in a mode are a way to stop people who play the market or who are just willing to buy stubs outright from just buying every card they want to use in DD. When we see those players on a DD roster we know that they were earned and not bought.

# 22 E0910 @ 03/08/16 04:54 PM
I could care less about a free pack. Id rather not have it and enjoy battle royale for free then get free stuff.

# 23 Dolenz @ 03/08/16 04:56 PM
Quote:
I could care less about a free pack. Id rather not have it and enjoy battle royale for free then get free stuff.

Well, yeah, free stuff is always better.

# 24 HustlinOwl @ 03/08/16 05:04 PM
Quote:
I like the conquest mode because it'll make you use your DD team and that will be a fun mode to play and come back to later on. The battle royale though kinda is ruined with the whole buy in concept. I could care less about a free pack. Usually trash 99% of the time anyways. I think the battle royale is good because it'll let you try out the new players and see which ones are worth getting, but having to pay stubs is pretty weak to be honest. I feel like the devs this year are also forcing us to play how they want the game to be played. Some people like DD, some like franchise, RRTS, etc. Now its like well if you want that player you need to play battle royale to unlock this or unlock that. I feel they got way too carried away with all the unlockables this year. There are people who don't want to have to play others online all the time just to get a card. WAs really looking forward to this game, but not I am not feeling it. Draft Champions is what made madden awesome. You got to try out the new cards and the best part about that is you could still play with super expensive cards because cards like a 99, 98, 96 player rating would go for 2,3,4 million coins and in draft champions you could play with them for free and have fun. Maybe if stubs are earned faster it won't be too bad, but when you are trying to build a good DD team, paying 1,500 stubs upfront isnt worth it at all when you are saving stubs for a high player.
theyve stated in the streams stubs will be earned faster this year

# 25 masterchaoss @ 03/08/16 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgomets75
No chance they drop the buy in. Otherwise people would just play a game for a free pack over and over. 1,500 stubs with a guarantee of a 1,000 stub pack isn't bad. Plus it looks like you get a reward after each game and more bonuses after 2,5,etc. wins.
Drop the free packs then and I honestly rather save up stubs and buy the player I want, I don't want than leave it up to a pack, and it's not like there aren't other games that give out rewards after a game, you get a reward after every game in 2ks gauntlet mode without a buy in. Plus if it's any thing like last year id have to play ten 9 inning games to get 1,000 stubs from what I remember. The buy in really needs to be dropped for me to care about it at all.

# 26 oilersfan99 @ 03/08/16 05:40 PM
I agree with the buy in crap. I could care less about the stupid free garbage pack other than helping to get the bottom players of a set of cards. I was all excited about it until the "buy in".

If you do get a lot more stubs a lot faster then Ill be trying it out past the first time

# 27 Factzzz @ 03/08/16 05:45 PM
If they dropped the buy in then it would allow people to redraft their team as much as they want.

I figured that's why they made the buy in, so people wouldn't be able to do that.

# 28 chiwhitesoxGOSOX @ 03/08/16 06:15 PM
I can't believe so many ppl r complaining about a 1,500 stub buy in. So ridiculous. U can never make ppl happy on this site

# 29 garyjr33 @ 03/08/16 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchaoss
I'm out on battle royal just because of the buy in. I like the concept but I don't want to have to pay stubs to play the mode hopefully they will drop the buy in pretty quick.
You are guaranteed a pack though and packs are a 1000 stubs. So you are really only paying 500 stubs for a buy in.

# 30 og236 @ 03/08/16 06:21 PM
I think there should just be a "ranked" way to play Battle Royale where you have to pay the 1500 stubs to buy in & a casual way to play other than "ranked" with no guaranteed standard pack just for playing because you're not paying to enter, but you could still win cards based on the wins you get throughout

So for "ranked" = 1,500 stubs entry fee but guaranteed standard pack

Casual = No entry fee but also no guaranteed pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 31 takki @ 03/08/16 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
If they dropped the buy in then it would allow people to redraft their team as much as they want.

I figured that's why they made the buy in, so people wouldn't be able to do that.
If that was the sole reason, they could have reduced the price of the buy in.

They could have made it 200-500 stubs. This is enough stubs to stop people from resetting their drafts until they get a good roll. But cheap enough so that everytime you finish a game, you have enough to try your luck in Conquest.

I'll give it a chance this year but I can tell you already that Fifa 16 pulled the same mess and ruined the mode.

# 32 bcruise @ 03/08/16 06:40 PM
Don't you still earn stubs for every mode you play in the Show, not just DD? Doesn't seem like it's going to be that hard to scrape together 1500.

# 33 takki @ 03/08/16 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Don't you still earn stubs for every mode you play in the Show, not just DD? Doesn't seem like it's going to be that hard to scrape together 1500.
In last years game, you earned around 100 stubs for a full 9 inning game. Using last year's metric, that's fifteen, 50 minute games to earn the right to play one draft. And it's mostly likely going to take dozen upon dozens of drafts to earn the final rewards. That's too much time commitment.

Obviously, they have increased the stubs earned. But by how much? Looking at the pre-order bonuses, they are still valuing 1000 stubs at $1. So what they are going to offer earning wise in game has to be much less than that. I predict 200-300 stubs for a full 9 inning game.

Even if they have doubled how many stubs you earn in game, the buy in is still too high at 1500. Of course, I could be wrong and they might have tripled or quadrupled the amount of stubs you earn in game. I'm just expressing doubt that they have dramatically increased stub earnings to justify the Battle Royale entry price.

# 34 Dolenz @ 03/08/16 08:06 PM
I trust the dev team enough to have taken into account that they do not want to make the new mode cost so many stubs as to be a deterrent to those who want to play it.

Which means they have either greatly increased the rate at which you earn stubs or have made the prizes nice enough to be worth the cost. Or likely some combination.

And who knows how many stubs you could possibly earn back just by going deep into the tourney.

I also think, as mentioned by others, that it is a deterrent against people constantly just dropping out of the tourney before it even starts because they didn't like their draft options.

# 35 jm2054 @ 03/08/16 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Battle Royale seems interesting, but how can you eventually use those 'hard to earn cards' after winning a BR? I like the draft idea, but hope teams can't easily become stacked (again) with those cards. Maybe they are only used in other modes or to be sold?

I don't like the 3 inning games as it allows too much randomness to impact a winner instead of the best player over a 9 inning game.

SCEA needs to remember that MLB is what brings people to their game, not the other way around, and people can play role playing games in far better game offerings. This game is trying to be everything all at once, and that often times leads to mediocrity. Be great at what's made you--simulating MLB baseball.
You draft the cards but they aren't yours they only are good for that round of battle Royale.

# 36 jm2054 @ 03/08/16 08:22 PM
Honestly all the complaining is silly it seems most haven't ever played other modes like this the things scea is doing is very popular and common in other games

# 37 AceAmy @ 03/08/16 08:44 PM
for those of you who have played the madden version of Battle Royale, how big are these tournaments? 15 users? do you have to play straight through? taking like 5 hours to complete one? im confused of the timing of it all

Still sounds great, just wondering

# 38 MetsFan16 @ 03/08/16 08:45 PM
So you get one free pack for 1000 stubs and potentially depending on how well you do, multiple silver, gold and possibly rare flashbacks cards for 500 stubs compared to one gold card on the market for 5,000+ stubs. I like those chances. Much more cost effective and you get to play multiple games earning you more stubs and tickets that can buy more rare captain market cards. The buy in is realistically a pack and 500 stubs which can net much more cards, stubs and tickets compared to buying cards in the market.

# 39 bcruise @ 03/08/16 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceAmy
for those of you who have played the madden version of Battle Royale, how big are these tournaments? 15 users? do you have to play straight through? taking like 5 hours to complete one? im confused of the timing of it all

Still sounds great, just wondering
It's not a structured tournament with a bracket and such. You just play random opponents who are close to you in rank. As such, you don't have to wait for people to finish their games before playing yours.

And, based on the gamestop video I think it's the same in the Show. When they did the automatching it looked like it was searching for players withing a certain rank level. It wouldn't need to do that if it was bracket-style.

# 40 The Left Shark @ 03/08/16 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
Conquest is ONLINE but still single player? I guess if it requires a PS+ subscription, count me out. Unless it just needs an internet connection like NBA 2k's "online" single player modes...
Wait a minute: don't you need a PS+ subscription for rosters on the ps4? I don't see the problem if you intend on having the PS+ subscription for the rosters.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.