Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

The developer team has revealed the top MLB The Show 16 player ratings at each position. Check them out here.

Below are the top players in the game.
  • Mike Trout - 99 Overall
  • Clayton Kershaw - 99 Overall
  • Bryce Harper - 97 Overall
  • Josh Donaldson - 96 Overall
  • Miguel Cabrera - 96 Overall
  • Paul Goldschmidt - 96 Overall
  • Max Scherzer - 95 Overall
  • Jake Arrieta -95 Overall
  • Zack Greinke - 95 Overall
  • Manny Machado - 94 Overall
  • David Price - 94 Overall
  • Chris Sale - 94 Overall
  • Jose Altuve - 94 Overall
  • Matt Harvey - 94 Overall
  • Joey Votto - 94 Overall
  • Andrew McCutchen - 94 Overall
  • Buster Posey - 94 Overall
  • Wade Davis - 93 Overall
  • Felix Hernandez - 93 Overall
  • Jose Fernandez - 93 Overall
  • Giancarlo Stanton - 93 Overall
  • Jacob deGrom - 93 Overall
  • Nolan Arenado - 93 Overall
  • Kenley Jansen - 93 Overall
  • Madison Bumgarner - 93 Overall
  • Craig Kimbrel - 93 Overall
  • Troy Tulowitzki - 93 Overall

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 tessl @ 03/13/16 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
Wainwright pitched 28 innings and his injury was not pitching or arm related. Add to that fact that the devs said they threw out injured years for players and you are left with his 2013 and 2014 stats, the years he came in second and third in the Cy Young Voting.

Shoot, even in his 28 innings last year he had a 1.61 era and 20 strikeouts.

Anyway, even at 90 I am not going to hesitate to put him on my squad if I can get him. The fact that he is a gold means I have a chance to get him in my opening day packs and if not then maybe he will be cheaper in the market. I need him for that players who are over 6'4" mission

And the name is Tom
The devs didn't say they "throw out injured years". Fernandez and Harvey had a durability of 42 in the show 15 following injuries in 2014 which caused them to miss all (Harvey) or most (Fernandez) of the season.

# 82 tessl @ 03/13/16 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachprattico2
Ellsbury is a top 3 CF in mlb...he was clearly hurt...look at stats before he got hurt....82 is crap and Tanaka is only 88...that's definitely not fair...he lead AL in WHIP and also pitched hurt...you'll see this year what's up and they'll have to update them...glad to hear your a fan tho!
The problem with what you are advocating is around 2,000 players set foot on a MLB field every season and the devs have to base their attributes on statistics. If they start basing it on their opinion of what a guy would have done if this or that would or wouldn't have happened they would have massive complaints about being biased because the attributes wouldn't match reality.

Another thing I see every year at this time when the ratings are revealed is the focus on OVR. The focus should be on attributes. Two players with the save OVR can be significantly different players. A great example is Heyward. If you value a glove in RF he is a dream player who you would value highly. If you prefer a slugger in RF you would likely prefer one of several players with a lower OVR. There are catchers who can hit but have poor defense who will have a similar OVR to a catcher who can't hit but has good defense. The OVR tells you little about those players. There are also players with a good OVR but terrible durability who I wouldn't want in my franchise. I have never traded for a guy or traded a guy away because of his OVR.

# 83 Threeebs @ 03/13/16 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I don't see the significance of Upton matching Marte in OBP. You want a player who hit 7 more HRs against a player who hit for higher average and stole more bases and won GG and Wilson defensive Player of the Year? If so, you can have him and I'll take Marte.

Marte is aggressive and will strike out but he does steal bases much better than Peralta, who also strikes out. I believe Kiermaier is an A this year based on his defense. Well, Marte won GG and Wilson defensive player of the year. Now I'm not saying Marte is as good defensively as Kiermaier, but Marte does hit better than him.

Now it's time for war, I mean WAR: Marte 5.3 and Peralta 3.7
The significance in Upton matching Marte's OBP is that they were on base the same amount of time. Just because Upton didn't hit for a better average than Marte doesn mean he wasn't as valuable with the bat. Upton was clearly just unlucky with BABIP.

The reason he's beating him in WAR is because of his defence. Both players are fine players mind you...

# 84 Cavicchi @ 03/13/16 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeebs
The significance in Upton matching Marte's OBP is that they were on base the same amount of time. Just because Upton didn't hit for a better average than Marte doesn mean he wasn't as valuable with the bat. Upton was clearly just unlucky with BABIP.

The reason he's beating him in WAR is because of his defence. Both players are fine players mind you...
That is an assumption on your part about defense. Batting average and stolen bases are likely also considered aside from defense--that is an assumption on my part.

Upton is rated higher with overall and potential. Meanwhile, The Shredder had Marte as best LF going into this season. Who am I to say The Shredder is wrong? I am in my house and The Shredder is on TV.

# 85 coachprattico2 @ 03/13/16 12:19 PM
I understand everyone's point on my frustration with Jacoby and Tanaka ratings. I get it, their numbers did not reflect the t ype of players they truly are. I am most confident Ellsbury has a good shot at winning come back player of the year. He is too talented and was simply playing through injury. As for Tanaka he looks as strong as ever this spring and I believe his surgery in October helped him a ton. I hope the game will update them through the season.

# 86 Cavicchi @ 03/13/16 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
If they start basing it on their opinion of what a guy would have done if this or that would or wouldn't have happened they would have massive complaints about being biased because the attributes wouldn't match reality.
I surmise from that you infer attributes reflect reality in this game. Okay, please explain to me why Salvador Perez has a blocking rating of 70 while Posey has 86? They have the same amount of passed balls from 2013 to 2014 and the attribute rating of 70 is in TS 15.

I am pretty sure Perez was still an 82 in the Catcher ratings. I suspect that 82 includes that 70 for blocking. I won't go into his reaction rating, but for a player who has won consecutive GG awards, three years in a row, I think he deserves better. Anyway, please do get back to me why his blocking rating is 70 while Posey has 86.

Thank you!

# 87 Balla Da Le Playa @ 03/13/16 01:07 PM
Posey should have a higher block rating than Salvador. Posey was behind the plate far fewer time than Salvador. if wild pitch numbers factored in to block rating then Posey beats Salvador by a mile there too

# 88 tessl @ 03/13/16 01:10 PM
Quote:
I surmise from that you infer attributes reflect reality in this game. Okay, please explain to me why Salvador Perez has a blocking rating of 70 while Posey has 86? They have the same amount of passed balls from 2013 to 2014 and the attribute rating of 70 is in TS 15.

I am pretty sure Perez was still an 82 in the Catcher ratings. I suspect that 82 includes that 70 for blocking. I won't go into his reaction rating, but for a player who has won consecutive GG awards, three years in a row, I think he deserves better. Anyway, please do get back to me why his blocking rating is 70 while Posey has 86.

Thank you!
I believe attributes are based more upon stats than peripheral stuff which IRL impact a player but would be impossible to research and implement into the show.

Regarding Posey and Perez they had the same number of passed balls but Perez had 146 wild pitches to Posey's 76 - nearly double. The blocking attribute is about pitches in the dirt. Pitches in the dirt which get away from the catcher are not ruled to be passed balls. Pitches in the dirt which get away from the catcher are ruled to be wild pitches. Therefore I suspect the reason Perez has a lower blocking attribute than Posey is because he has nearly twice as many wild pitches.

# 89 PrettyT11 @ 03/13/16 01:21 PM
Quote:
That is an assumption on your part about defense. Batting average and stolen bases are likely also considered aside from defense--that is an assumption on my part.

Upton is rated higher with overall and potential. Meanwhile, The Shredder had Marte as best LF going into this season. Who am I to say The Shredder is wrong? I am in my house and The Shredder is on TV.
But the shredder didn't have Marte as the top LF in baseball. It had Michael Brantley as number 1 and Marte was number 2.

# 90 NAFBUC @ 03/13/16 01:44 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't conclude that - durability isn't on the pie chart either but it is very important.

One thing I noticed, pitch type and velocity are now displayed again. It is good to see that back in the game.
Yes! Hard to understand why it was taken out last year, but thank you SCEA
for bringing it back this year.

# 91 redsox4evur @ 03/13/16 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgomets75
Throw in Cespedes, Betts and Blackmon too.

Betts is a RF...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 92 MrOldboy @ 03/13/16 04:23 PM
Quote:
I don't see the significance of Upton matching Marte in OBP. You want a player who hit 7 more HRs against a player who hit for higher average and stole more bases and won GG and Wilson defensive Player of the Year? If so, you can have him and I'll take Marte.

Marte is aggressive and will strike out but he does steal bases much better than Peralta, who also strikes out. I believe Kiermaier is an A this year based on his defense. Well, Marte won GG and Wilson defensive player of the year. Now I'm not saying Marte is as good defensively as Kiermaier, but Marte does hit better than him.

Now it's time for war, I mean WAR: Marte 5.3 and Peralta 3.7
My entire point was that each player brings their own skills to the table and The Show rates them in a different way than you do. Marte is a great left fielder, but over the past year there are other players that are right within his range of value. Over the past three years I agree that Marte has the edge in real life value, but not video game value in the eye of The Show. The Show doesn't value defense at LF as much as it does CF for instance. The devs stated they take some liberties with the ratings and even if they didn't the way The Show rates players by each position there will always be disputes. This happens every year so the ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Also I prefer fWAR, not sure on other's opinions.

# 93 letsgomets75 @ 03/13/16 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Betts is a RF...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Played CF for most of last year and will be a CF in MLB 16 TS. I know he's playing RF this year.

# 94 MrOldboy @ 03/13/16 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgomets75
Played CF for most of last year and will be a CF in MLB 16 TS. I know he's playing RF this year.
The devs are usually pretty quick to fix positions once they get pointed out I feel from situations in the past, especially when it came to DD I feel.

# 95 Cavicchi @ 03/13/16 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyT11
But the shredder didn't have Marte as the top LF in baseball. It had Michael Brantley as number 1 and Marte was number 2.
Brantley is in the AL. Upton, Peralta and Marte were in the NL last year. The discussion was who is best among those three. So, according to the Shredder, Marte would be better than Upton and Peralta. I never said anything about Brantley. My concern is the attributes and potential that is given to Marte. Brantley is an A potential and no argument from me there. Upton as an A and Marte a B is something I do not agree with.

# 96 Cavicchi @ 03/13/16 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla Da Le Playa
Posey should have a higher block rating than Salvador. Posey was behind the plate far fewer time than Salvador. if wild pitch numbers factored in to block rating then Posey beats Salvador by a mile there too
Quote:
I believe attributes are based more upon stats than peripheral stuff which IRL impact a player but would be impossible to research and implement into the show.

Regarding Posey and Perez they had the same number of passed balls but Perez had 146 wild pitches to Posey's 76 - nearly double. The blocking attribute is about pitches in the dirt. Pitches in the dirt which get away from the catcher are not ruled to be passed balls. Pitches in the dirt which get away from the catcher are ruled to be wild pitches. Therefore I suspect the reason Perez has a lower blocking attribute than Posey is because he has nearly twice as many wild pitches.
So you guys assume wild pitches are the fault of the catcher. Posey did not have to catch Ventura--and I do not think the Giants had any starting pitcher as wild as Ventura last year.

How many gold gloves has Posey won? How many Gold Gloves has Perez won? How about Wilson Defensive Player of the Year?

Alright, you guys know Posey does not perform as catcher for as many innings as Perez. However, he had the same amount of passed balls.

I do not assume all wild pitches are the fault of the catcher. I think that kind of assumption is ridiculous. I don't doubt they consider all facets of catching when choosing for GG and Wilson Defensive Player of the Year.

# 97 Cavicchi @ 03/13/16 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
My entire point was that each player brings their own skills to the table and The Show rates them in a different way than you do. Marte is a great left fielder, but over the past year there are other players that are right within his range of value. Over the past three years I agree that Marte has the edge in real life value, but not video game value in the eye of The Show. The Show doesn't value defense at LF as much as it does CF for instance. The devs stated they take some liberties with the ratings and even if they didn't the way The Show rates players by each position there will always be disputes. This happens every year so the ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Also I prefer fWAR, not sure on other's opinions.
Why should that be, The Show rating differently? if that's the case, how can there be any intelligent discussion about ratings?

They incorporated WAR into this game, but it's 'there' kind of WAR. Why not use real WAR?

Speaking about WAR, your Upton is below Marte three years in a row--and I gave you that information. My main concern is Upton because that great .250 hitter is rated an A potential while Marte is a B.

# 98 Cavicchi @ 03/13/16 07:51 PM
Quote:

How are you figuring that? Are you taking innings played at catcher into account? That double figure is pure nonsense.

No, the passed balls are not equal. You have to consider innings played at position and then count passed balls.

I already addressed wild pitches in my post above, just letting you know that innings should be factored into that equation of yours.

# 99 MrOldboy @ 03/13/16 09:06 PM
Quote:
Why should that be, The Show rating differently? if that's the case, how can there be any intelligent discussion about ratings?

They incorporated WAR into this game, but it's 'there' kind of WAR. Why not use real WAR?

Speaking about WAR, your Upton is below Marte three years in a row--and I gave you that information. My main concern is Upton because that great .250 hitter is rated an A potential while Marte is a B.
I don't think there is a discussion to be had though regarding the OVR calculation as we cannot change how the game calculates the OVR rating. We can bicker about the individual ratings for skills like speed or blocking, but the OVR calculation isn't something we can change. That was my point, it is what it is and just because a player has a higher WAR, that does not mean his individual ratings will translate to the same OVR rating you'd expect. I'm not trying to argue that Upton > Marte, I'm saying that based on their statistical production (offense vs defense) it can be seen how The Show rates them differently based on their skills ratings (CON, POW, FLD, etc).

WAR =/= OVR Rating. It is just a general holistic evaluation of a player's statistical production. It shouldn't translate to the games OVR rating either as the in game OVR rating is based on the individual ratings like speed and contact.

The Show does not track many of the statistics that WAR uses in it's calculation so they have no choice other than fudge it a bit by using their own calculation.

Quote:
How are you figuring that? Are you taking innings played at catcher into account? That double figure is pure nonsense.

No, the passed balls are not equal. You have to consider innings played at position and then count passed balls.

I already addressed wild pitches in my post above, just letting you know that innings should be factored into that equation of yours.
His numbers aren't that far off. Posey played about 80% of Perez's innings. When adjusted for innings played, Posey still had significantly less wild pitches, which is what the blocking rating in game should be based on. Passed balls should have nothing to do with blocking.

# 100 p00p1 @ 03/13/16 09:47 PM
Quote:
So you guys assume wild pitches are the fault of the catcher. Posey did not have to catch Ventura--and I do not think the Giants had any starting pitcher as wild as Ventura last year.

How many gold gloves has Posey won? How many Gold Gloves has Perez won? How about Wilson Defensive Player of the Year?

Alright, you guys know Posey does not perform as catcher for as many innings as Perez. However, he had the same amount of passed balls.

I do not assume all wild pitches are the fault of the catcher. I think that kind of assumption is ridiculous. I don't doubt they consider all facets of catching when choosing for GG and Wilson Defensive Player of the Year.
Why would passed balls affect the Blocking stat? Blocking should be a factor of how well the catcher BLOCKS balls in the dirt. If a ball hits the dirt and gets by the catchers, it's not a passed ball.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.