Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

The developer team has revealed the top MLB The Show 16 player ratings at each position. Check them out here.

Below are the top players in the game.
  • Mike Trout - 99 Overall
  • Clayton Kershaw - 99 Overall
  • Bryce Harper - 97 Overall
  • Josh Donaldson - 96 Overall
  • Miguel Cabrera - 96 Overall
  • Paul Goldschmidt - 96 Overall
  • Max Scherzer - 95 Overall
  • Jake Arrieta -95 Overall
  • Zack Greinke - 95 Overall
  • Manny Machado - 94 Overall
  • David Price - 94 Overall
  • Chris Sale - 94 Overall
  • Jose Altuve - 94 Overall
  • Matt Harvey - 94 Overall
  • Joey Votto - 94 Overall
  • Andrew McCutchen - 94 Overall
  • Buster Posey - 94 Overall
  • Wade Davis - 93 Overall
  • Felix Hernandez - 93 Overall
  • Jose Fernandez - 93 Overall
  • Giancarlo Stanton - 93 Overall
  • Jacob deGrom - 93 Overall
  • Nolan Arenado - 93 Overall
  • Kenley Jansen - 93 Overall
  • Madison Bumgarner - 93 Overall
  • Craig Kimbrel - 93 Overall
  • Troy Tulowitzki - 93 Overall

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Denzel Washington @ 03/16/16 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I'd put Escobar on that list somewhere. I'd drop Bryant down a few spots due to high strikeouts and questionable defense. He is young and could develop but Bryant is another Pedro Alvarez at this stage of his career. HR/K guy with shaky defense.
Bryant is not a Pedro Alvarez guy. That's a very superficial comparison

yunel escobar? There's no chance he's a top 10 3B

# 162 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/16/16 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzel Washington
Bryant is not a Pedro Alvarez guy. That's a very superficial comparison

yunel escobar? There's no chance he's a top 10 3B
I agree. Saying Yunel Escobar is a Top 10 3B in baseball is downright funny. Comp'ing Kris Bryant to Pedro Alvarez of all people is even funnier than that.

# 163 tessl @ 03/16/16 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Tessl, whatever you find from 2015 has nothing to do with Perez's blocking rating in this game from 2012.

You, who thought wild pitch data included only pitches in the dirt.

Who would I believe, you or the article?

"As illustrated in the AL blocking leaders graphic, Perez had an MLB-best blocking percentage on expected passed balls, but his RPP ranks 10th amongst MLB 600+ inning catchers; plus, despite facing 14 more expected passed ball pitches than the RPP league leader Molina, he allowed the same number. For a little known fact drawn from the Molina/Perez comparison, note that this past season Perez not only had 147 more blocks, a block per game more than Molina, but further, Perez posted more blocks and blocks/9 than Molina has amassed in any of his six consecutive Gold Glove seasons. Brief conclusion: be wary of Perez's "low" (still 4th in the AL) RPP — he is a premier, if not the premier pitch blocking catcher in the game today, although his numbers may potentially be inflated by more opportunities."

Source: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...s-molina-perez
The blocking attribute in the game MLB the Show is for blocking pitches in the dirt. Do you comprehend that?

If you have an issue with his attributes just edit them to whatever you want. I've attempted to explain why his blocking is what it is. That's the best explanation I can give. If you still don't understand then I can't help you.

# 164 Ghost Of The Year @ 03/16/16 11:16 PM
The disconnect lies in trying to marry catcher block attribute rating to real world MLB numbers of wild pitches, a minor fault on SDS' part. Just because Salvador Perez is given a 72 rating doesn't necessarily mean he is bad at blocking, that really is more of an indictment on the KC pitching staff's control. Looking solely at wild pitch numbers we cannot adequately judge a catcher's blocking ability, because like Cavicchi stated, wild pitches aren't only thrown in the dirt. Some are thrown behind the batter (less common) or over the catcher's head (more common). We need to look elsewhere stat wise to see if a particular catcher (be it Perez or Buster Posey or even Geno Petralli lol) blocks well. Just because a catcher doesn't see a lot of wild pitches doesn't necessarily make him good at blocking. Again, that says more about the pitching staff ability.

TLDR- need better stat than wild pitches to determine catcher block attribute rating IMO

# 165 Denzel Washington @ 03/17/16 12:34 AM
Really wish pitch framing would be added as a stat

# 166 p00p1 @ 03/17/16 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
The disconnect lies in trying to marry catcher block attribute rating to real world MLB numbers of wild pitches, a minor fault on SDS' part. Just because Salvador Perez is given a 72 rating doesn't necessarily mean he is bad at blocking, that really is more of an indictment on the KC pitching staff's control. Looking solely at wild pitch numbers we cannot adequately judge a catcher's blocking ability, because like Calvichii (sic) stated, wild pitches aren't only thrown in the dirt. Some are thrown behind the batter (less common)or over the catcher's head (more common). We need to look elsewhere stat wise to see if a particular catcher (be it Perez or Buster Posey or Geno Petralli lol) blocks well. Just because a catcher doesn't see a lot of wild pitches doesn't necessarily make him good at blocking. Again, that says more about the pitching staff ability. __________________________________TLDR- need better stat than wild pitches to determine catcher block attribute rating IMO
There is a stat for it, I pointed it out a few days ago and he wanted to keep arguing that he doesn't believe in wild pitch stats and wants to judge based on Gold Gloves (even though they are in different leagues).

Fangraphs has RPP – The number of runs above / below average a catcher is at blocking pitches.

Since 2010:
Posey is #8 with 9.3 in 4858.0 innings.
Perez is #27 with 3.5 in 4548.2 innings.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=16,d

# 167 mlb61 @ 03/17/16 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Well yeah considering he [Jon Lester] had the 21st best era in the majors. Around 18th seems about right...
Not really. NL & AL ERAs are not equivalent.

# 168 Cavicchi @ 03/17/16 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
The blocking attribute in the game MLB the Show is for blocking pitches in the dirt. Do you comprehend that?

If you have an issue with his attributes just edit them to whatever you want. I've attempted to explain why his blocking is what it is. That's the best explanation I can give. If you still don't understand then I can't help you.
Yes, and do you understand that wild pitch data from fangraphs includes all kinds of wild pitches? The scorer, and that's where they get it from, does not differentiate wild pitches, whether over batter's head or behind batter's back. A wild pitch is a wild pitch.

Where are "they" The Show, since you know so much, getting that pitch in the dirt data from?

Have you read the article I included? What do you suppose he is talking about when he presents the graphs and concludes Perez is the premier pitch blocking catcher in the game?

What is different about the article assessing pitch blocking and what you or The Show uses?

Whatever you find in stats from 2015 has nothing to do with Perez and his blocking rating in 2013, 2014, or 2015.

Now, what is it in the link that is different, doing wrong, or whatever--for blocking pitches? By the way, I don't see Posey's name among the leaders for Blocking.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...s-molina-perez

# 169 Cavicchi @ 03/17/16 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p00p1
There is a stat for it, I pointed it out a few days ago and he wanted to keep arguing that he doesn't believe in wild pitch stats and wants to judge based on Gold Gloves (even though they are in different leagues).

Fangraphs has RPP – The number of runs above / below average a catcher is at blocking pitches.

Since 2010:

Posey is #8 with 9.3 in 4858.0 innings.
Perez is #27 with 3.5 in 4548.2 innings.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=16,d
I guess you never read that article and what the author said about RPP--and the link he provided to Bill James article. By the way, 2015 should not be included.

"Brief conclusion: be wary of Perez's "low" (still 4th in the AL) RPP — he is a premier, if not the premier pitch blocking catcher in the game today,"

By the way, I don't see Posey's name among the leaders.

# 170 p00p1 @ 03/17/16 12:11 PM
Quote:
Yes, and do you understand that wild pitch data from fangraphs includes all kinds of wild pitches? The scorer, and that's where they get it from, does not differentiate wild pitches, whether over batter's head or behind batter's back. A wild pitch is a wild pitch.

Where are "they" The Show, since you know so much, getting that pitch in the dirt data from?

Have you read the article I included? What do you suppose he is talking about when he presents the graphs and concludes Perez is the premier pitch blocking catcher in the game?

What is different about the article assessing pitch blocking and what you or The Show uses?

Whatever you find in stats from 2015 has nothing to do with Perez and his blocking rating in 2013, 2014, or 2015.

Now, what is it in the link that is different, doing wrong, or whatever--for blocking pitches? By the way, I don't see Posey's name among the leaders for Blocking.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/def...tcher-defense/
They don't use scorers info, they use pitch f/x to determine balls that a catcher has an opportunity to block...

# 171 Cavicchi @ 03/17/16 12:18 PM
Quote:
They don't use scorers info, they use pitch f/x to determine balls that a catcher has an opportunity to block...
2013 CPP and RPP: Posey CPP 41 RPP 2.5

2013 CPP and RPP Perez CPP 56 RPP 2.6

2014 CPP and RPP: Posey CPP 36 RPP 0.8

2014 CPP and RPP: Perez CPP 72 RPP 2.3

Without question, Perez has better CPP and RPP for 2013 and 2014. 2015 is not rated.

I don't know why you would even consider 2010 when Perez was not even in the majors then. As for 2011, Perez played just 39 games at catcher as a rookie. 2013 and 2014 should be satisfactory.

Posey gets an 86 for blocking and Perez a 70.

Furthermore, in that link I posted showing RPP leaders, Posey was not among them. You know why? Because for 2013 Posey's RPP was 0.8

# 172 Cavicchi @ 03/17/16 12:28 PM
Oh, about Pitch F/X--this from Fangraphs and you can find it under Blocking:

"These stats are relatively strong compared to other catching statistics, but they still suffer from measurement issues. While you can estimate the way in which you think a ball is going to bounce, PITCHf/x doesn’t give you enough data to capture the true path of the ball. Statcast data may allow us to refine these stats."

# 173 Will I Am @ 03/17/16 12:32 PM
Sounds like we have a Royals fan in the house.

# 174 Cavicchi @ 03/17/16 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
Sounds like we have a Royals fan in the house.
Not me, just a fan of justice. A quite old fan of justice

# 175 Will I Am @ 03/17/16 12:45 PM
Quote:
Not me, just a fan of justice. A quite old fan of justice

I try not to look too hard at the ratings cause if I do I don't even want to play, some of them are that off.

# 176 p00p1 @ 03/17/16 12:47 PM
I used those years because it gave them similar career innings totals, if you want 2012-2014, here you go: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=16,d

That has posey #7 and perez #21 in RPP.

# 177 Cavicchi @ 03/17/16 12:56 PM
Quote:
I used those years because it gave them similar career innings totals, if you want 2012-2014, here you go: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=16,d

That has posey #7 and perez #21 in RPP.
I gave you the most pertinent years, 2013 and 2014.

Now I don't consider RPP the most significant factor, even though Perez was better than Posey in 2013 and 2014. The article I presented with that link is more important to me. Have you read the entire article?

# 178 p00p1 @ 03/17/16 01:04 PM
I put more stock in the career stats than 1 article about the 2013 season. His rating is based of career performance, not picking and choosing his best year

# 179 Jason27 @ 03/17/16 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBruin12
I think the main reason why Bogaerts is so low is that has no power at all but I hope they gave him some decent fielding because they under rated it last year.
Agreed! And hopefully they fixed Jackie Bradley Jr.'s arm strength & throwing accuracy as well.

# 180 Cavicchi @ 03/17/16 05:48 PM
Quote:
I put more stock in the career stats than 1 article about the 2013 season. His rating is based of career performance, not picking and choosing his best year
Perez did not have a full season until 2013. Picking and choosing? 2013 and 2014 is picking and choosing--the first two full seasons in the majors for Perez.

Of course you don't want to look at 2013 and 2014 and see how Perez blocked pitches better than Posey. I can well understand that.

Have a nice day!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.