Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

Check out the latest MLB The Show 16 trailer featuring the new graphical improvements coming to the game this year.

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 cthurt @ 03/15/16 11:29 AM
All of this attention to details bother me, mainly because they continue to skip over player details, besides skin color being adjusted correctly the players still have the same square shouldered frames, and cartoony looking eyes that they had on PS3, and the stiff jerseys that only show wrinkles but no movement is another eye soar.

I really hope they focus mainly on the graphical upgrade of the players next year, its still a beautiful game but 3 games into this gen, and still having the PS3 player details is a shame.

# 82 RoyceDa59 @ 03/15/16 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
All of this attention to details bother me, mainly because they continue to skip over player details, besides skin color being adjusted correctly the players still have the same square shouldered frames, and cartoony looking eyes that they had on PS3, and the stiff jerseys that only show wrinkles but no movement is another eye soar.

I really hope they focus mainly on the graphical upgrade of the players next year, its still a beautiful game but 3 games into this gen, and still having the PS3 player details is a shame.
I feel like the stiff jerseys are more of an issue to me than the player models. There are certain issue when a player has certain arm movements to his batting stance and you can see his jersey clipping into his body when he moves.

# 83 Dolenz @ 03/15/16 12:16 PM
I fondly remember playing this which probably explains why the current body types and jerseys and such are not as much of a problem for me.

# 84 BSUFAN @ 03/15/16 12:31 PM
Exactly, Many are spoiled by today's games. Heck I was just happy to play my real life baseball players way back when on my Commodore 64. I never worried about graphics, number placement, seat arrangement or color , grass or dirt ect.

# 85 TheWarmWind @ 03/15/16 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
I fondly remember playing this which probably explains why the current body types and jerseys and such are not as much of a problem for me.

Wow, that actually doesn't look half bad, especially since I'm guessing it's a turbografix16 game.

P.S. body types and jerseys are also not a problem to me, but for slightly different reasons. Unis look fantastic in this game, and I don't want to see this game go the same direction as the NHL series did, where they way overdid uniform movement and now all the players look like they are in a slow motion wind tunnel. Also wasted all of the cycles assets and came out with a mediocre product.

# 86 Turbojugend @ 03/15/16 12:39 PM
Quote:
Exactly! I grew up worshipping SNK's Baseball Stars, any graphical improvements beyond that are gravy.

# 87 Dolenz @ 03/15/16 12:42 PM
The picture I posted was from a game called Star League Baseball. I played it on the Commodore Vic 20 I think.

# 88 Tomba @ 03/15/16 12:51 PM
So a yearly focus on 1 major visual department is great.But I can help but say that the game is played on grass... and the grass looks the same as it did since 14.

The wide shots from broadcast. The infeild hit and outfield hits cameras show a blurry grass. Grass should be more of a solid color not as patchy as it does.

The surface reaction to materials is great but if grass isnt up to par first then those things fall by the wayside.

Football soccer games have had issues with grass and so does MLB The show.

However Fifa 15/16 tackled their impression of grass very well. Madden i thought would use EA's findings or development from Fifa 15/16 but they didnt.

A long horse from the PS3 era Pro yakuu spirits tackled their infeild grass very well and their game ran fairly well.

MLB the shows has had framerate rate issues this gen. Not being able to get a actual 60 fps per yearly title release and no patch to my knowledge helped MLB 14 or 15's framerate. there were stutters. I mention this due to possibly the grass being the issue. Where the focus is on fidelity or the blades of grass that it effects the over movement and handling of resources when we get into infield outfield play.

a more consistent look to the grass an non patchy one perhaps would be for the better good of the game as a whole.

I say this all in the betterment of the game . i miss mlb 2k7's awe factor for the time. I dont get that awe factor anymore with any sports title and YET were supposed to have more resources for making the games look better?

As good as this yearly graphical upgrade is im left unawed even though i can tell ppl will eat up screenshotting the "little details"

I just wish the biggest detail was addressed.......

THE GRASS PPL!

# 89 BlacknBlue @ 03/15/16 01:04 PM
Wow, this place is filled with such animosity over the slightest voicing of opinions.

I grew up in the 80's and dealt with poor graphics, landlines, and boxy looking automobiles. Times change, mates. It isn't wrong for people to wish for improvements, especially if done so in a respectful manner.

Is it not possible to love this game, respect the developers which make it, and point out areas of it that some of us wish would see improvement? Why is that such a hard concept to grasp for so many of the people here?

Yet another thread completely derailed by patrons that can't handle a game they like being criticized or others voicing their opinions; bravo, Operation Sports.

# 90 cthurt @ 03/15/16 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBlue
Wow, this place is filled with such animosity over the slightest voicing of opinions.

I grew up in the 80's and dealt with poor graphics, landlines, and boxy looking automobiles. Times change, mates. It isn't wrong for people to wish for improvements, especially if done so in a respectful manner.

Is it not possible to love this game, respect the developers which make it, and point out areas of it that some of us wish would see improvement? Why is that such a hard concept to grasp for so many of the people here?

Yet another thread completely derailed by patrons that can't handle a game they like being criticized or others voicing their opinions; bravo, Operation Sports.

I agree with you it can get crazy on OS sometimes, but the guys that posted pics of the old games and how the graphics use to be aren't out of line, they are just stating their opinion on why they don't have a problem with the graphics of today.

# 91 Knight165 @ 03/15/16 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBlue

Ummmm.....the thread is titled "graphical improvements".......meaning here is what WAS done to improve the game......the derailment ...if any...is on those those that brought up,once again....what we already knew wasn't worked on in '16.....kind of turning it into a wish list thread,yet again.

M.K.
Knight165

# 92 Glenn33 @ 03/15/16 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Football soccer games have had issues with grass and so does MLB The show.

However Fifa 15/16 tackled their impression of grass very well....
You really nailed it with this observation. The grass is by far the biggest issue/challenge for this title to get through. It's been the biggest challenge for every outdoor sports title. It's something so subtle yet is on screen at all times and really adds to the overall look of the game. If I had my way this is where ALL the graphical resources would go next year. A man can dream

# 93 dalger21 @ 03/15/16 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Exactly! I grew up worshipping SNK's Baseball Stars
Still the greatest baseball game I have ever played.

# 94 Smallville102001 @ 03/15/16 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybaybay618
Player models like fine, and player faces are the best looking of any sports game except for maybe NBA 2K, which doesn't have to focus on nearly as many players. Some of the guys in these threads desperately need girlfriends. Damn.

They are not fine and I don't know how you can say they are the best looking faces of sports games not even close. NBA 2k can look photo realistic at times and so can NHL. Madden players don't look as good as NBA 2k and NHL but still look better then MLB does. MLB plays such a great game but the player graphics are really lacking big time now. MLB players don't even look close to photo realistic. The players look the same as they do on ps3 and normally the only time you see a big jump in graphics is when you go from a old system to a new one. You normally don't see a big jump in graphics in sports games from one year to the next. So that means we may be stuck with ps3 looking players for all of ps4. If you put MLB ps3 players next to Ps4 players you would have a hard time noticing a difference. You do that with NBA 2k or NHL and the difference is night and day. If you do that with Madden again it is going to be a big difference. I have heard that all animations would need to be redone or something for new player models but that just doesn't sound right because NBA 2k, NHL, Madden got new player models this gen and they didn't redo all there animations and plus last gen MLB had hands down the best looking players of any sports game. I don't know how MLB went from having the best looking players last gen to this gen having the worst.

# 95 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/15/16 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
The environment is top notch, but the player graphics especially the eyes are somewhat of an "eyesore" no pun intended. Everything in the environment screams "NEW" and the players scream "OLD".
I think you summed up the issue nicely. Especially with the shiny new surroundings, the player models look even more dated by comparison. I got this same sense from the sideways shot of the player in the dugout in this stream.

# 96 Sip_16 @ 03/15/16 01:56 PM
It's all really about perspective, some people say oh they look fine and some say they are horrible etc. I personally think they look good except some of the body types,I play a lot of games in my franchise and I focus on the gameplay and how I am performing and just enjoying the game in that way.

Everyone sees things differently, I don't think the player models look like PS3 especially when they have stated the crowd is basically PS3 quality and the players do not look like the crowd.

Thats my opinion, some people see things I don't see and I am sure it goes both ways, no need to argue about it or deny what someone else thinks whether you agree or not.

# 97 actionhank @ 03/15/16 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt

I do wonder if maybe the legacy console support might play an issue. Maybe they've just pushed the PS3 to it's limits, but until they move away from it (Which is a tough decision to make, as many people still use them) then they may be a bit restricted in what they can realistically do with the models themselves.

# 98 ryanmc564 @ 03/15/16 02:33 PM
Quote:

wow, even the commodore had better grass and dirt than the show. hahaha just kitten, meow. that picture takes me back to the day.

# 99 tnixen @ 03/15/16 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn33
You really nailed it with this observation. The grass is by far the biggest issue/challenge for this title to get through. It's been the biggest challenge for every outdoor sports title. It's something so subtle yet is on screen at all times and really adds to the overall look of the game. If I had my way this is where ALL the graphical resources would go next year. A man can dream
PBR will help make the grass look a lot better when it's used but not until 17 I think.

Someone should ask Sony in today's stream if PBR is being used for the grass and dirt in 16?

# 100 ryanmc564 @ 03/15/16 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
PBR will help make the grass look a lot better when it's used but not until 17 I think.

Someone should ask Sony in today's stream if PBR is being used for the grass and dirt in 16?

I didn't think there was a stream today, I thought it was just going to be a video.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.